g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

SAF is the GOAT

Completely agree, we had to much bad press and bad situations with players

ShinjiNinja26

The rule on betting is quite broad but 232 charges sound bloody serious, him getting a ban is very bad news for us so hoping for small misdemeanours. Also hope this is not a result of larger gambling problem for the lad as it would be a great shame for a talented young man who is on a very upward trajectory.
If he’s going to be trouble for you then the best thing would be to get him off the books. We’ll take him off your hands in January, at a discounted price of course seeing as we’re taking on the baggage ourselves.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
If he’s going to be trouble for you then the best thing would be to get him off the books. We’ll take him off your hands in January, at a discounted price of course seeing as we’re taking on the baggage ourselves.
Sure you can have him for £69,999,999 instead of £70m

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
If 232 betting charges doesnt get him a massive ban they would be as well just letting them all do it.
He clearly has a massive problem or could not give a shit.
In US sports that would get you a lifetime ban.

FujiVice

feck that should be a long suspension. He's not only broke the rules, he's taped them back together just for the pleasure of breaking them again.

BarcaSpurs

If 232 betting charges doesnt get him a massive ban they would be as well just letting them all do it.
If he has a massive problem then is banning him and potentially ruining his career really a positive solution?

Think a big fine and a small ban is fine here, unless he's been involved in fixing matches which doesn't seem to be the case.

acnumber9

It’s over a four year period. It’s not far off one bet a week. That’s nowhere near a major gambling problem unless the sums are eye watering.

Ole'sattheWheel

With that many (proven) incidents it does point toward the lad having a bit of an issue with gambling. Especially in his situation where he knows he shouldn’t be doing it, yet still sticking bets on wouldn’t fall under “gambling for fun” atall.
Not saying he shouldn’t be punished of course, it’s just sad as I’ve had a few mates who’ve ruined their lives by gambling in their early 20s.

Should be heavily restricted imo. But I have personal bias. I don’t know of anyone with a “healthy” gambling habit.

MadMike

Brilliant title change.

Silly lad. Likely to get a ban now and ruin his chances of a transfer to a bigger team.

Anustart89

Speaking of which, what happened to Xhaka after getting that ridiculous yellow card last season?

Ludens the Red

I used to work in paddy power in a west London shop and numerous Brentford players (including Stuart Dallas ) would get people to bet for them.
Might just be the club culture :lol:

NoPace

I've made 232 bets in 4 years (am up overall, don't worry) that's like a bet a week. So unless any of them involved teams he played for this might even be a smaller issue than Trippier's insider trading. Or it might be much, much, much worse.

Trequarista10

232... i mean why stop at one or two
Tbf number of bets doesn't really say much. Joey Barton had similiar where he had bet on or against his team a load of times, but it was usually for a couple quid, or like a 50p 10 fold, which is harmless. Comparatively, one huge bet against his team winning, or a bet against his team scoring, and it's a massive red flag suggesting some kind of match fixing. 232 breaches get the headlines but the severity of those breaches will be based on what the bets were for rather than the number.

tomaldinho1

I've made 232 bets in 4 years (am up overall, don't worry) that's like a bet a week. So unless any of them involved teams he played for this might even be a smaller issue than Trippier's insider trading. Or it might be much, much, much worse.
Yh i disagree with people saying he has a problem, I know loads of people who do a weekly acca. Issue is non on them are playing for the team they’re betting on!

MadMike

Yh i disagree with people saying he has a problem, I know loads of people who do a weekly acca. Issue is non on them are playing for the team they’re betting on!
It’s not just the team you’re playing for. Players know other players. They know agents and owners. You can get a whiff of games being fixed from ex-teammates who are mates etc.

But I agree. Playing a small acca every week is no issue. If he bet 20 grand in single game, whether that was a Brentford game or not, that’s a problem. That needs to be heavily disincentivised.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If it’s a gambling addiction (it may not be) he should be receiving rehabilitative support and CBT rather than a draconian punishment.
But that’s not the world we live in.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's a shame.

To be honest I don't think you should be charged if you're betting on yourself.

StiffTackle

The problem with betting on yourself is that it encourages collusion. If it was ok for a striker to bet on themselves to score it incentivises them to collude with goalkeepers and then share the profits

Anustart89

The problem with betting on yourself is that it encourages collusion. If it was ok for a striker to bet on themselves to score it incentivises them to collude with goalkeepers and then share the profits
If that were the case then having a goal bonus in your contract wouldn't be okay either since a striker could split it with a goalkeeper.

StiffTackle

If that were the case then having a goal bonus in your contract wouldn't be okay either since a striker could split it with a goalkeeper.
I think the difference is that the value of a goal bonus is relatively small compared to the overall pay packet and there is a natural limit to how much you could profit from it without raising suspicion (no one is going to believe Ivan Toney scored 12 goals in a game without help and it’s unlikely he cpulc convince 19 goalkeepers to help him cheat).

Goal bonuses are also offset by Clean sheet bonuses which makes collusion for a relatively small amount of money unlikely.

With betting on yourself you could bet large amounts and win far more than anyone would pay you in bonuses.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why would you bet when your on so much money? Takes the fun out of it when you don’t need the money.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why would you bet when your on so much money? Takes the fun out of it when you don’t need the money.
Betting is rarely about what you win, it's the thrill of winning.

Some people just have addictive personalities.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
That’s not why most people get addicted. It’s the release of endorphins putting the bet on and the thrill of it winning.

Bondi77

I used to love having a bet when I first started work but I just got sick of having hardly any money two days after payday.
Luckily I got it out of my system at a young age.