g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

Offsideagain

I like him, a big lump and is usually in the right place at the right time. Good with his head so we may actually score a few from corners. If we make an approach, Brentford will see ££££ signs and ask a stupid amount. Definitely worth considering given what we’ve got and especially if CR7 buggers off in January.

lysglimt

Scout
I like him, a big lump and is usually in the right place at the right time. Good with his head so we may actually score a few from corners. If we make an approach, Brentford will see ££££ signs and ask a stupid amount. Definitely worth considering given what we’ve got and especially if CR7 buggers off in January.
He will guarantee us goals - I am all for signing Toney. And I get the feeling that Frank is willing to let Toney go if they get a really good offer -rather than insisting on an INSANE offer. He seems that kind of manager.

lysglimt

Scout
In terms of pure quality, he’s obviously our second best striker. However, I think the problem is Toney is stylistically actually quite similar to Kane. Callum Wilson is at least a little different in that he’s more of a poacher. Some [faint] justification for not making the side
And if Kane gets suspended or injured....who do England use that is a bit similar to Kane ? :)

dinostar77

Crazy not to have space to take a in form striker like toney. Usual england squad rubbish of picking players who have barely played i.e. walker, phillips, maguire etc.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
That’s SUCH a bad description of Toney! Have you ever watched him play…?

Also, ‘big’? He’s 5’10 ffs.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Bid £60m in January and he’s ours. Well worth it and would power us into the CL. Would also help in the cups and would mean only CB, RB and CM left to buy in the summer.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
That’s SUCH a bad description of Toney! Have you ever watched him play…?

Also, ‘big’? He’s 5’10 ffs.
Just looked this up and there seems to be some conjecture about whether that's an old measurement from when he was a teenager, but he's listed as 5'10, yeah. He does seem rather taller than that though.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I feel that Toney would be a very good fit in a Man Utd team but Brentford would need time to replace him & business would need to be done early in the window.
Foe me it's a disgrace that Southgate chose to pick his buddies instead of Toney but not a surprise !!

Sparky Rhiwabon

I feel that Toney would be a very good fit in a Man Utd team but Brentford would need time to replace him & business would need to be done early in the window.
Foe me it's a disgrace that Southgate chose to pick his buddies instead of Toney but not a surprise !!
It’s because of the football gambling investigation hanging over him?

Oranges038

I felt he missed quite a few good chances against City. Is he clinical?
I think Toney is one of them that needs a few chances to bag a goal. In big games you need someone more clinical than that.

I'd have in that Defoe category, a good striker but maybe not good enough to lead the line for a top team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think Toney is one of them that needs a few chances to bag a goal. In big games you need someone more clinical than that.

I'd have in that Defoe category, a good striker but maybe not good enough to lead the line for a top team.
That is my impression as well. Good striker but not top notch. But we cant be picky I guess

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Should of gone to the World Cup. I rate him higher then Callum Wilson. He’d of give us a different option aswell

NoPace

SAF would have signed a player like Toney for sure. Loved those proven PL goalscorers. If he can score goals for Brentford, he can score goals for United.
He would have been great with Beckham's crossing and a strike partner, or similar with Giggs and Valencia hitting them, but I'm less convinced about him as a lone striker in Ten Hag's system. I think he'll be a club option presented to Ten Hag though, and there are similarities with Haller - even the bad ones of sometimes lagging behind the play after he drops deep, he doesn't always get into the box quick enough after his nice play in the build up for me, which Haller was even worse at for West Ham, though their attacks lacked the composure and pausing quality to slow down and let others make late runs that Sancho and Antony should be good at.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It’s because of the football gambling investigation hanging over him?
I really don't think so ... There doesn't appear to be very much to that.
Southgate doesn't seem to like change very much & tends to stick with his boys.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I really don't think so ... There doesn't appear to be very much to that.
Southgate doesn't seem to like change very much & tends to stick with his boys.
I don't rate southgate at all but all managers do that from time to time it's just the way it is, Southgate can choose however he likes it's his prerogatives.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I felt he missed quite a few good chances against City. Is he clinical?
Not very clinical and not that good at getting into goalscoring positions, but he’s a great target man. I think he could work as a Saha-like signing. Scored 30+ goals in the Championship, took a while to settle in the PL, then got into double figures by January and pushed for a move when a big club came in. I can see Toney doing the same. Just this time the kinds of money involved seem a bit nuts.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I don't rate southgate at all but all managers do that from time to time it's just the way it is, Southgate can choose however he likes it's his prerogatives.
I understand he can pick whoever he wants but I reserve the right to critique his selections.

MiceOnMeth

Not very clinical and not that good at getting into goalscoring positions, but he’s a great target man. I think he could work as a Saha-like signing. Scored 30+ goals in the Championship, took a while to settle in the PL, then got into double figures by January and pushed for a move when a big club came in. I can see Toney doing the same. Just this time the kinds of money involved seem a bit nuts.
Yeah Saha was 13 million I shudder to think what Toney would cost :nervous:

Bertie Wooster

I think Toney's quite a good #9 - a handful up front, and capable of contributing a decent amount of goals (even more at lower levels) without being a prolific finisher.

But I wouldn't say it was a disgrace or anything that he didn't make the world cup squad. There often seems to be a clamour for a player from a less fashionable club, who is having a good season or two in the PL, to get called up for England. I can remember it with Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Danny Ings, Patrick Bamford, etc.

Most of those players either don't keep up that scoring record at the top level, which is why top clubs don't sign them or the England manager call them up. Or have had short lived chances at top clubs and have quickly failed and returned to a club more their level.

Toney has more going for him than most of those, so it would be interesting to see how he performs if he gets a chance at a big move or with England. I can understand why he'd be in the conversation for the national squad, but I don't particularly think it's wrong, and certainly not a disgrace, that he missed out to the likes of Kane, Wilson and Rashford.

pascell

Yeah Saha was 13 million I shudder to think what Toney would cost :nervous:
Saha was a quality signing, if he'd have stayed injury free he'd have been one of the best in the league.

I agree about Toney though, not very clinical but a good target man and can probably bring others into play. The only problem is, that's exactly what Martial has been doing when he's fit and he squandered plenty of chances vs Fulham.

I feel like we should pay more and get that clinical striker, if we had one vs Fulham we'd have had the game buried at HT and they wouldn't have got their tails up and had a go in the 2nd half, thats the difference a clinical striker makes. There's just not many around.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Just looked this up and there seems to be some conjecture about whether that's an old measurement from when he was a teenager, but he's listed as 5'10, yeah. He does seem rather taller than that though.
Yeah, he defo seems taller than that, I remember having this conversation when he dominated Arsenal in the air, I had no idea he was so good at that at the time.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
He was in Peter’s office but we couldn’t agree terms.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Still think he’s hugely underrated. Feels lazy, but I’d take him to be like Yorke, Saha, in that he’s a great player for a (relatively) smaller team. I think he’d be a solid 15-20+ League Goal contributor for a decent side.

bonothom

I think Toney would be a good signing for United. Good at holding the ball up and winning headers and so would be useful if you need to go long. We haven't a striker that can do what he can do. He should have been in the England squad for this reason.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
The rule on betting is quite broad but 232 charges sound bloody serious, him getting a ban is very bad news for us so hoping for small misdemeanours. Also hope this is not a result of larger gambling problem for the lad as it would be a great shame for a talented young man who is on a very upward trajectory.