g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ivan Toney

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We need a second option and someone that can play alongside too at times so I'd say it's very much open.
Do you think Toney would be content being a bench option at a club not currently challenging for the title?

You could argue for a move to a 4-3-1-2 with Toney and Højlund as strikers but I don’t see it personally as where does that leave Rashford?

Play with 2 attackers ?
We don’t currently have the full backs to do that effectively. We’d be changing system too much.

We need to stop trying to shoehorn in good players into things we don’t do.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Got Arsenal written all over it and I hope they spend an absolute fortune on him.

He's a good player, but clearly a bellend.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We can have two strikers absolutely but Toney is going to want to be first choice as is Højlund. I can’t see a scenario where having spent £64m on Højlund the club also then spends around the reported £60m on Toney and then has two possible starters fighting it out.

Far more likely is that a club in need of a striker like Chelsea or Tottenham come in for him as I don’t see Toney being content with sharing that starting role.

Agreed we will but I don’t see it being Toney.
I agree with you in terms when one striker is nailed as no1 (when you have world class striker who wants and needs to play every minute). But Hojlund is not a world class striker who can make a fuss about not playing every game and neither Toney can. So it is perfect situation to have two strikers.
Although, Brentford will ask 50-60 mil for Toney so he is out of reach (under Glazers at least).

Tarrou

I reckon he'd make a great rotational option for us. No chance of us signing him though - it's too sensible.
I don't think anything about this transfer would be sensible

first off we're skint so it's a non-starter, but also....
you don't buy expensive strikers as rotation options
you don't buy expensive strikers when you've just bought one
he's an idiot off the pitch
he's low in match fitness
and lastly we don't have the type of wingers that provide the type of service he thrives on

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I agree with you in terms when one striker is nailed as no1 (when you have world class striker who wants and needs to play every minute). But Hojlund is not a world class striker who can make a fuss about not playing every game and neither Toney can. So it is perfect situation to have two strikers.
Although, Brentford will ask 50-60 mil for Toney so he is out of reach (under Glazers at least).
I suppose you may be right here I do however feel it’s unlikely Højlund hasn’t been told that at United he’s the No1. I agree with you in theory Højlund being a younger striker should be ok with rotation but I’d imagine he’d look at his ambitions and be very disappointed to be playing 2nd fiddle to Toney (who Højlund arguably has more potential than).

Toney would also be unlikely to be as accepting of a rotation situation. I’d imagine his preference would also to be to stay around London which is why my head tells me Spurs/Arsenal are more likely destinations. Spurs due to the vacant No9 position (which would give time for Velíz to develop) and Arsenal for the title challenge prospect.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't think anything about this transfer would be sensible

first off we're skint so it's a non-starter, but also....
you don't buy expensive strikers as rotation options
you don't buy expensive strikers when you've just bought one
he's an idiot off the pitch
he's low in match fitness
and lastly we don't have the type of wingers that provide the type of service he thrives on
Because of gambling only or there is something else about him?

Tarrou

Because of gambling only or there is something else about him?
I meant the gambling yeah, I mean that is enough for me. Completely idiotic.

But I remember a year or two back some clips of him saying disrespectful stuff to Brentford surfaced. Nothing you could make much of a judgement on him, but kinda pointing towards him being a bit of a twat.

RedOrange

I can't think of a more on-brand signing for United than a gambling addict who's one relapse away from a lifetime ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.