Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s a talented player who was given a rubbish role by Gareth.

He is however overrated by a select few on here.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I worry that Grealish's England career is going to pass him by with Southgate in charge. Don't think he's ever going to be in his plans.
I don't think it's personal, to be honest. Southgate just prefers hard workers outside of Kane and Sterling. When he finally came on against Italy, Southgate had Saka playing as the 10 instead of Grealish there being flanked by Sterling and Sancho which tells you everything.

Hell, look at Maddison. Like Grealish, he's often been overlooked despite being the type of midfielder we're lacking because he's not seen as a workhorse like they typical midfielders Southgate likes.

jesperjaap

He’s a talented player who was given a rubbish role by Gareth.

He is however overrated by a select few on here.
Go back 12 months and he was massivley under rated by most on here. I do think the pundits went overboard in the summer with the Gazza comparisons though.

I can understand why Southgate went with Mount. He works his socks off and does a lot of work unnoticed defensively, a real team player.......however, he was the one England player that played a lot of the trounament that I think under performed personally.

I think Grealish and or Foden really should have got more minutes on a few occasions from the bench at least with the lack of impact Mount made when we had the ball

RaptorSlo

I can understand why Southgate went with Mount. He works his socks off and does a lot of work unnoticed defensively, a real team player.......however, he was the one England player that played a lot of the trounament that I think under performed personally.
While this is true, does it really make sense to play defensive minded midfielder in no.10 position while you already have 2 DMs behind him?

jesperjaap

While this is true, does it really make sense to play defensive minded midfielder in no.10 position while you already have 2 DMs behind him?
He isnt a defensive minded midfielder at all though. That is like saying Fernandes is when he works hard for us pressing the opposition. he is am intelligent team player that works his socks off. But for me in the tournament we got the majority of Mount work wise off the ball, but a shadow of what he did for CHelsea last season when they had the ball....he was instrumental goign forward in the champions league victory.

I think he is a very very good player, but it simply didnt work for him in the Euros, he was anomynous in a lot of the play sadly....thats why Foded/Grealish for example should have got a lot more minutes for me, for performance, not abilities. That is the one problem we have, three excellent players that can play in one position and I dont think you can use all of them in the same side....but if one isnt peforming....should have bought another on, simple as that

mshnsh

In the Italian or Spanish sides, Grealish and Foden/ Sancho would start. England value physicality over technique.

croadyman

I don't think it's personal, to be honest. Southgate just prefers hard workers outside of Kane and Sterling. When he finally came on against Italy, Southgate had Saka playing as the 10 instead of Grealish there being flanked by Sterling and Sancho which tells you everything.

Hell, look at Maddison. Like Grealish, he's often been overlooked despite being the type of midfielder we're lacking because he's not seen as a workhorse like they typical midfielders Southgate likes.
When is creativity and technical ability ever actually going to take preference over workhorses in this country

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa

Shame he didn't get more minutes in the tournament.