Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

gza the genius

where were they going to play though? Sterling had a brilliant tournament and the other spot players were playing well (Saka/Foden) in earlier games. Mount was far more droppable than Sterling or Saka/Foden.
At the very least in the Final one of them should have been on for Sterling to start extra time. Sterling was clearly running on fumes and if he wasn't going to take a penalty there's no reason he should've stayed on.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think his comments were more aimed at Roy Keane tbh from what he was saying on TV and probably member of Grealish family told him about that so he responded.

Probably shouldn't have posted anything tbh and just said it in interview in a few months time once dust has settled as now it will just create yet another tedious Southgate v Grealish debate.

RooneyLegend

I actually don't buy it from Grealish personally. I know its impossible to prove but I just can't believe Grealish genuinely wanted to take one and Southgate thought no, I'll give one to Saka, the teenager who has never taken one for his club before.

And it's so easy to say "I'll take one if you need me to" or "if I have to take one I will" to cover your back but you're also making it pretty clear you're not up to it.
Southgate said he picked the kickers from what he saw in training. It's clear this coach is running an anti Grealish movement. It's absolutely absurd.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think his comments were more aimed at Roy Keane tbh from what he was saying on TV and probably member of Grealish family told him about that so he responded.

Probably shouldn't have posted anything tbh and just said it in interview in a few months time once dust has settled as now it will just create yet another tedious Southgate v Grealish debate.
I can see why he wants to get ahead of the "Grealish was a coward and refused to take one" nonsense that was starting to appear, in fairness.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
I actually don't buy it from Grealish personally. I know its impossible to prove but I just can't believe Grealish genuinely wanted to take one and Southgate thought no, I'll give one to Saka, the teenager who has never taken one for his club before.

And it's so easy to say "I'll take one if you need me to" or "if I have to take one I will" to cover your back but you're also making it pretty clear you're not up to it.
By 'wanted' I take it to mean that Grealish was fully prepared to take on the responsibility of taking one, not that he was rubbing his hands together in joyous anticipation. As FootballHQ says, Grealish is justified in defending himself because of things like Roy Keane singling him out on TV with his comment about senior pros or big characters or however he phrased it needing to step-up to protect the younger players in the shoot-out (why mention only Grealish and Sterling in relation to the criticism, why not Shaw and Stones as well? Both of those must surely count among the more 'senior characters' and both were eligible to take a penalty).

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I worry that Grealish's England career is going to pass him by with Southgate in charge. Don't think he's ever going to be in his plans.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
By 'wanted' I take it to mean that Grealish was fully prepared to take on the responsibility of taking one, not that he was rubbing his hands together in joyous anticipation. As FootballHQ says, Grealish is justified in defending himself because of things like Roy Keane singling him out on TV with his comment about senior pros or big characters or however he phrased it needing to step-up to protect the younger players in the shoot-out (why mention only Grealish and Sterling in relation to the criticism, why not Shaw and Stones as well? Both of those must surely count among the more 'senior characters' and both were eligible to take a penalty).
Shaw and Stones were probably left out of the discussion because generally your attacking players step up and take penalties before the defenders and goalkeeper. Even if all of them didn't fancy it, you'd have still expected Grealish and Sterling (and Phillips) to have been ahead of Shaw, Stones and Pickford in the order.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
There is a reason why he is still Aston Villa player. Good and talented player but really not that special.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There is a reason why he is still Aston Villa player. Good and talented player but really not that special.
Not really, he renewed his contract and loyal to Villa so he demands quite a high price. I don't think any top 4 managed would pass up the chance to sign him.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Shaw and Stones were probably left out of the discussion because generally your attacking players step up and take penalties before the defenders and goalkeeper. Even if all of them didn't fancy it, you'd have still expected Grealish and Sterling (and Phillips) to have been ahead of Shaw, Stones and Pickford in the order.
I accept some of that, but the central thrust of Keane's point seemed to be about protecting the younger players. One or more of Shaw or Stones or Phillips (or Pickford!) would very possibly have missed as well (although Shaw scored a penalty in the Europa League final shoot-out) but, according to Keane's line of thinking, had any of those missed they'd be better equipped to deal with the aftermath of missing than Saka or Sancho. (Another point: Italy had a defender and a defensive midfielder among their first five takers!).

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I accept some of that, but the central thrust of Keane's point seemed to be about protecting the younger players. One or more of Shaw or Stones or Phillips (or Pickford!) would very possibly have missed as well (although Shaw scored a penalty in the Europa League final shoot-out) but, according to Keane's line of thinking, had any of those missed they'd be better equipped to deal with the aftermath of missing than Saka or Sancho. (Another point: Italy had a defender and a defensive midfielder among their first five takers!).
Saka at 5 was the only really contentious one for me (although I do have issues with Rashford and Sancho coming on just for a penalty having barely featured all tournament).

Keane's point (as we've now found out) was misguided, as it was Southgate's decision to put Saka a) in the 5, and b) at 5. Swap Saka out for Sterling or Grealish and I don't think anyone has any issues with the 5 nominated takers.

Saka taking at 7 behind those two wouldn't have raised anyone's eyebrows, really, given he's considered an attacking player, and I think we'd have heard far less about it had he missed at that point.

I agree with the general line of thinking that the older, more experienced players are more equipped to cope with missing the decisive penalty, but you can't just put the youngest player last, and you also can't expect every player to be up for taking a penalty. Keane probably struggles with the latter more than anything, because he prides himself on being a one man winning machine, and can't wrap his head around a player not wanting to step up and win the match for their team.

Italy's nominated takers are neither here nor there for me. You pick your 5 out of those that say they're up for taking them and order them accordingly. Perhaps a number of the Italians weren't really up for it.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Keane's point (as we've now found out) was misguided, as it was Southgate's decision to put Saka a) in the 5, and b) at 5. Swap Saka out for Sterling or Grealish and I don't think anyone has any issues with the 5 nominated takers.
One of Keane's main functions as a pundit in any case (as the non-English, 'dispassionate view' pundit especially) is to play devil's advocate. If Saka and Sancho had scored their pens and Kane or Maguire or one of the more experienced players had missed, Keane would've been criticising Southgate for not putting forward more young players ("who play in the moment and who don't feel the fear that comes with fully comprehending the magnitude of a Euro final"). If Maguire had been responsible for the decisive miss, Keane's criticism would've been along the lines of "You don't send forward your big, awkward centre-back to take the second penalty in the biggest shootout England have taken part in" etc, etc. Anyway, that's me out for today, I think (I think I've reached my max. number of posts).

Last edited:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Kane and Son ain't all that either?
What?

Not really, he renewed his contract and loyal to Villa so he demands quite a high price. I don't think any top 4 managed would pass up the chance to sign him.
If English clubs know one thing, it's giving ridiculous money for overrated English players. And Grealish is actually far better than many players before him that went for probably bigger money than Villa would ask for him.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Why does Southgate hate him?
Southgate hates his hair style me thinks. Probably he thought he wouldn't be a serious player with that hairstyle.:).

Southgate should have trusted him more and given him more play time especially he was very good against germany during his cameo involved in both goals.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
They were considered so long before these days. See: Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington, Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, Rod Marsh, Laurie Cunningham, Matt Le Tissier (snubbed by Glenn Hoddle, of all people).

snk123

That's just daft and something not expected from you @Amar__ . Are we going to ridicule every loyal footballer now?

Also, he may end up at City for 100m. Will he become a special player then?

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
He was the only player looking to cause any danger when he came on. You could see the Italian players had trouble with him, and had to foul him. Can't help but think Southgate underrates him massively. He barely played in the tournament! England needs a better manager, as another poster said, before their new generation of talent goes to waste.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's come out and said he wanted to take a penalty but it was Southgates decision to go with Saka. Big call and ultimately the wrong one it seems.

Varun

Staff

Even Southgate has confirmed this but yeah, let's not 'buy' it

Sylar

Saka at 5 was the only really contentious one for me (although I do have issues with Rashford and Sancho coming on just for a penalty having barely featured all tournament).

Saka taking at 7 behind those two wouldn't have raised anyone's eyebrows, really, given he's considered an attacking player, and I think we'd have heard far less about it had he missed at that point.

I agree with the general line of thinking that the older, more experienced players are more equipped to cope with missing the decisive penalty, but you can't just put the youngest player last, and you also can't expect every player to be up for taking a penalty. Keane probably struggles with the latter more than anything, because he prides himself on being a one man winning machine, and can't wrap his head around a player not wanting to step up and win the match for their team.

Italy's nominated takers are neither here nor there for me. You pick your 5 out of those that say they're up for taking them and order them accordingly. Perhaps a number of the Italians weren't really up for it.
Saka at 5 isn't even an issue of jorginho scores his right (which he normally does)

Btw I'm not putting any blame on him but it's just an observation but Rashford missing his changed the flow of the shootout, unfortunately

The shootout order is an issue when players miss but again we don't know what has been happening in training nor some of the other factors around the choices
I expect Southgate goes with the same order 99/100 times anyway

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
They were considered so long before these days. See: Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington, Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, Rod Marsh, Laurie Cunningham, Matt Le Tissier (snubbed by Glenn Hoddle, of all people).
Recently I remember Tom Huddlestone, one of the most skilful players, and with a great passing range. I thought he would be ideal for England, but possibly something just lacking in his his game.
It appears though Grealish may be suffering a similar fate. I wish Southgate would just give him a game or two as a 10, just to see how he would perform.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
That's just daft and something not expected from you @Amar__ . Are we going to ridicule every loyal footballer now?

Also, he may end up at City for 100m. Will he become a special player then?
Ridicule? Just because I don't find 25/26 year old playing for Aston Villa some amazing talent that means I am mocking him?

I am not buying the loyalty thing, if United come calling next week for double the money he will hand out transfer request.

If he ends up at City for 100m and continues playing well of course he will become top player.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Ridicule? Just because I don't find 25/26 year old playing for Aston Villa some amazing talent that means I am mocking him?

I am not buying the loyalty thing, if United come calling next week for double the money he will hand out transfer request.

If he ends up at City for 100m and continues playing well of course he will become top player.
Loyalty among supporters only. Not for players. Players have very short career and have to earn as much as they can in that time space. There is nothing wrong with it.

If grealish signed for mancity and become vital player in their campaign to win pl or cl nobody will question his ability. He is very good player and will be great if he proves at highest level against some of the best in cl too.