Jack Grealish | Man City

tob

Do you think you're the voice of all England fans or something? It's fair to say that many people wanted to see a more attack-minded side, and Grealish would have been part of that, alongside Sancho, Rashford, Foden and Bellingham, as opposed to the likes of Jordan Henderson.
Why is me expression a thought, or an opinion, suddenly me thinking I'm the voice of England fans? How did you come to that conclusion?

When I followed England, and it's fans, at the Euros - my understanding was that more people were talking about Grealish having to start. More so than Sancho, Rashford or Foden. What's the problem with that?

But as I said - I was just walking down the memory lane of when we'd signed Rooney and reliving that feeling.
I bet that was City fans feeling today. Their "We got England's new golden boy" feeling. Which, of course, is a nice feeling.

Note. I'm not comparing Rooney vs. Grealish.
Note. I'm not saying Grealish is "England's new golden boy". Although, it seemed that way during the Euros - in my opinion.

decorativeed

Why is me expression a thought, or an opinion, suddenly me thinking I'm the voice of England fans? How did you come to that conclusion?

When I followed England, and it's fans, at the Euros - my understanding was that more people were talking about Grealish having to start. More so than Sancho, Rashford or Foden. What's the problem with that?

But as I said - I was just walking down the memory lane of when we'd signed Rooney and reliving that feeling.
I bet that was City fans feeling today. Their "We got England's new golden boy" feeling. Which, of course, is a nice feeling.

Note. I'm not comparing Rooney vs. Grealish.
Note. I'm not saying Grealish is "England's new golden boy". Although, it seemed that way during the Euros - in my opinion.
The way you phrase it. Extrapolating your own feelings and projecting them onto fans as a whole.

Example:

As a stand alone player he, Rooney, achieved more.
But that's not the point. I'm comparing fans feelings - not player against player.
United fans -04 vs. City fans -21.
How can you say with certainty what a disparate group of people were all feeling?

tob

The way you phrase it. Extrapolating your own feelings and projecting them onto fans as a whole.

Example:

How can you say with certainty what a disparate group of people were all feeling?
Where am I stating that fans, with certainty, are feeling one way or another? I'm making assumptions. Expressing my thoughts. Having opinions. Asking questions. Mainly - things you do on a forum.

This argument is going nowhere at this point. Nothing to gain from now on. Suggest we just leave it like this. Deal?

ChaddyP

If you are comparing any footballer to Ronaldo or Messi they are going to fall short. And in case you forget two seasons after Ronaldo left Rooney was massive for us. He led the line well and we wouldn’t have won what we won after Ronaldo left if it wasn’t for Rooney.

How many top footballers do you think would selflessly sacrifice their ego to play second fiddle to another player? How many top footballers would stop playing in their original position and play elsewhere just cause it could be beneficial to their team.

The records he has at this club in terms of goals contributions won’t be beat anytime soon. He was a generational talent. Just cause he didn’t reach the potential of Ronaldo doesn’t mean he did reach his potential.
youre kinda not listening to what im saying. For me rooneys potential was Ronaldo Messi. He had a fantastic career , one of our best players and deserved to scorer. But i still feel his absolute peak potential was Better than Ronaldo. So by you yourself saying any footballer falls short ronaldo and messi , youre proving my point. I didnt feel Rooney was going to fall short. I thought he would have surpassed. Thats how highly regarded i had him as and thought he would become. The rest of what you said has no bearing on my point. I personally think he didnt reach his potential because i had his potential as being sky high. But its not bad to aim for the stars and land on the moon

decorativeed

Where am I stating that fans, with certainty, are feeling one way or another? I'm making assumptions. Expressing my thoughts. Having opinions. Asking questions. Mainly - things you do on a forum.

This argument is going nowhere at this point. Nothing to gain from now on. Suggest we just leave it like this. Deal?
You've said throughout this conversation what "fans feeling" was, when you actually mean what your feeling was. But agreed, this is going nowhere.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Yeah, but looking back at teenage Rooney, don't you think he couldn't have been even better? In my 30 years watching football, he was the best teenager I've ever seen. Not even particularly close for me, although that's just my opinion and debatable.
I think your confusing rooney with owen.

Glorio

youre kinda not listening to what im saying. For me rooneys potential was Ronaldo Messi. He had a fantastic career , one of our best players and deserved to scorer. But i still feel his absolute peak potential was Better than Ronaldo. So by you yourself saying any footballer falls short ronaldo and messi , youre proving my point. I didnt feel Rooney was going to fall short. I thought he would have surpassed. Thats how highly regarded i had him as and thought he would become. The rest of what you said has no bearing on my point. I personally think he didnt reach his potential because i had his potential as being sky high. But its not bad to aim for the stars and land on the moon
I don't think Rooney's potential was similar to Ronaldo's and Messi's. At 19, Rooney's decision making, game maturity, strength, intensity, speed where more or less peak for a player, there wasn't that much room for improvement on those aspects as they were already great and some players are like that.

However a kid like Ronaldo for instance, showed unreal natural skill but had a fair way to go in terms of game maturity, strength, decision making, directness and intensity, so there was obviously a higher ceiling for him if he worked at it.

To be fair to Rooney, I think he did just fine. Maybe if he looked after himself better, he might have lasted a bit longer at peak physical condition, but all things considered, an amazing player in his own right.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
You can’t hold a player to a higher standard and then if they don’t reach that potential blame them for not reaching that potential. Ronaldo and Messi were just more talented than Rooney and that’s exactly how things have panned out.

Matthew84!

Well I hope Grealish turns out to be the flop of the season, lets see if he's put under as much scrutiny as Pogba constantly is/was for being bought for so much.

Bollocks. Not having any of it. We bought Sancho to fill that gap, we weren’t ever going for JG after that.
I'm not sure. I think we baulked at the eventual fee but we were in for him when the rumours were at 60 or 70m. He's a great player but I don't think he's a guaranteed week in week out talisman aka a 100m player.

Once it's clear City really want a player there's no point competing. They can just keep adding zeros.

ForeverRed1

I'm not asking as a wind up but what was the context or reason for Grealish coming back earlier than Sancho? He's back now than a week before right?
maybe they wanted him to take time out and get his head right after missing the penalty and all the abuse he got after? You don’t know how he took it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm not sure. I think we baulked at the eventual fee but we were in for him when the rumours were at 60 or 70m. He's a great player but I don't think he's a guaranteed week in week out talisman aka a 100m player.

Once it's clear City really want a player there's no point competing. They can just keep adding zeros.
We beat them to Berbatov, Van Persie, Sanchez and Maguire during the Oil era.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The media are so far down City's shaft it's vomit inducing.

We already got our man in Sancho, I doubt they had any competition for Grealish, why the media need to push the narrative that a player wanted City over us is stupid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
maybe they wanted him to take time out and get his head right after missing the penalty and all the abuse he got after? You don’t know how he took it.
Yeah I've addressed that, seems a soft reason even whilst fully accepting he would have got a lot of stick.

Saka has returned to training roughly at the same time as Grealish, is younger and was also the player who missed the absolute final kick to keep England in it. . I don't think that's the reason to be honest.

Pughnichi

How does Grealish sign after Sancho yet still get thrown straight in with a 30 min cameo yday.

Surely we should have seen at least a similar cameo from Sancho. Especially when shaw and Maguire were playing yday.

ForeverRed1

Yeah I've addressed that, seems a soft reason even whilst fully accepting he would have got a lot of stick.

Saka has returned to training roughly at the same time as Grealish, is younger and was also the player who missed the absolute final kick to keep England in it. . I don't think that's the reason to be honest.
That’s true, people cope with things differently though? it is bizarre but I’m sure there’s a valid reason. Maybe he has a slight injury? It’s a weird one.

Wilt

Of course no doubts, because he now plays for City ….he’ll be a regular starter for wonder manager Southgate.

iKnowNothing

Off topic question - I see so many people adding these colored circles before, in the middle of and at the end of a tweet. I’m guessing it’s supposed to mean something but can’t really put a finger on what exactly. Can someone tell me what they are for?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Off topic question - I see so many people adding these colored circles before, in the middle of and at the end of a tweet. I’m guessing it’s supposed to mean something but can’t really put a finger on what exactly. Can someone tell me what they are for?
The colours of a club in question, usually (not Villa in this case, as this is an account of a United fan, so he shows the United perspective).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In his case it means, ' I talk bollocks!'

Bobski

It is a challenge for Grealish, I do think his reputation is rather over inflated based on what he has delivered in a fairly low pressure environment but it is the right time to make the move and prove he can be a winning player.

Stylistically he may have to adapt a little, at Villa he held the ball for long periods, perhaps through necessity admittedly but at City he will be playing against packed defensive units and slowing the game down is not helpful in that scenario. Has the ability to do it of course, even in limited time in the Euro's you could his link with Shaw, but could see him starting slowly.

Reddy09

Pep mentioned out going transfers generated 60m pounds for Grealish move, Jack Harrison and ?