Jack Grealish | Man City

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I like Grealish, however let’s be realistic.
Rooney at 19 years old, was better than Grealish is now.

Rooney won a lot and had a great career, however for me, he never reached his full potential.

At 18 / 19 years old, with the right lifestyle choices, he had the potential to on Messi and Ronaldo levels.
Dafaq? Rooney never reached his potential? He is one of if not the most underrated footballer of modern times. The things he could do on a football pitch and the things he accomplished were both magnificent.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Dafaq? Rooney never reached his potential? He is one of if not the most underrated footballer of modern times. The things he could do on a football pitch and the things he accomplished were both magnificent.
Yeah, but looking back at teenage Rooney, don't you think he couldn't have been even better? In my 30 years watching football, he was the best teenager I've ever seen. Not even particularly close for me, although that's just my opinion and debatable.

Classical Mechanic

I think Pep has a fair bit of work to do. I get this feeling with England as well but it seems that Grealish believes his own hype and thinks he can do everything on his own. He has all the raw materials but needs to learn how to fit in a modern team tactically.

RDCR07

Yeah, but looking back at teenage Rooney, don't you think he couldn't have been even better? In my 30 years watching football, he was the best teenager I've ever seen. Not even particularly close for me, although that's just my opinion and debatable.
What do you look at to say he could have been even better?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm not asking as a wind up but what was the context or reason for Grealish coming back earlier than Sancho? He's back now than a week before right?

ChaddyP

Honestly i understand what @Sleigh is saying.

as good as rooney was, and he was very good and agreed is very underrated, i still feel he didn't reach his potential. I remember when Ronaldo left and i told my Chelsea friends that as sad as that was it wasn't too bad because we had Rooney and Rooney will become even better than Ronaldo. Now i can assume that even Rooneys mum doesn't think that Rooney became as good as Ronaldo did.
And for me i thought that was where his potential was, best in the world. White Pele

cyberman

I'm not asking as a wind up but what was the context or reason for Grealish coming back earlier than Sancho? He's back now than a week before right?
I’m guessing Sancho has a few more days due to clearing his head after the final and the racist abuse?

TheReligion

Abusive
Where you not present during the euros? The England fans were crying for Grealish. He was "the boy wonder" this summer.
During the Euros 2004 - Rooney was. After the Euros - we signed him. After this summers Euros - City signed Grealish.
Grealish wasn't even first choice for England. It's a strange comparison given the age too.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What do you look at to say he could have been even better?
Don't think I can point the finger at specific parts of his game, but pretty much this:

as good as rooney was, and he was very good and agreed is very underrated, i still feel he didn't reach his potential. I remember when Ronaldo left and i told my Chelsea friends that as sad as that was it wasn't too bad because we had Rooney and Rooney will become even better than Ronaldo. Now i can assume that even Rooneys mum doesn't think that Rooney became as good as Ronaldo did.
And for me i thought that was where his potential was, best in the world. White Pele

passing-wind

Grealish being a success at city is not about his ability it's about the relative strength of city's team and what Jack brings to the table to complement that. That's why I think it will take him a while to be a real influence unless he plays on the left. Midfield will be a struggle as I've said before it's sink or swim.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m guessing Sancho has a few more days due to clearing his head after the final and the racist abuse?
I don't want to sound ignorant as I'm sure the impact was big but the reason still seems odd. You can argue getting back into the groove of training would be equally beneficial

decorativeed

Why you think I compared Rooney and Grealish footballing abilities?

Grealish was "the one" for the england fans this Euros. Just as Rooney was at the 2004 Euros. Would you say that's fair?
No, because as well as what I've already written, Rooney started every match for England in Euro 2004. Grealish started 1 match in Euro 2020. Also plenty of fans were wanting some of the other attacking players to start or feature more, not just Grealish.

tob

Grealish wasn't even first choice for England. It's a strange comparison given the age too.
Many England fans would have had Grealish as a starter at the Euros, me thinks.
Rooney was the symbol of hope for the England fans at the euros 2004. During this summer Euros many England fans were craving for Grealish. He was the most talked about among England fans. He was "the wonder boy". "Wonder boy" as in a saying - and not as an age decider. Would you say that's a fair statement?

TheReligion

Abusive
Rooney was the symbol of hope for the England fans at the euros 2004. During this summer Euros many England fans were craving for Grealish. He was the most talked about among England fans. He was "the wonder boy". "Wonder boy" as in a saying - and not as an age decider. Would you say that's a fair statement?
What did Rooney do in 04 though? Compared to Grealish..

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think Pep has a fair bit of work to do. I get this feeling with England as well but it seems that Grealish believes his own hype and thinks he can do everything on his own. He has all the raw materials but needs to learn how to fit in a modern team tactically.
Pep has his work cut out with a fair few of his team tbh. If that’s an early indication then some look like they’ve hit a peak and don’t want to put themselves out

tob

No, because as well as what I've already written, Rooney started every match for England in Euro 2004. Grealish started 1 match in Euro 2020. Also plenty of fans were wanting some of the other attacking players to start or feature more, not just Grealish.
Who started and not started was the choice of the manager and staff. Didn't represent the majority of fans.
True, but I'd say most fans wanted Grealish to start over the others.

Inigo Montoya

Maybe but Southgate saw everything in training and decided that he wasn’t an instant starter. Why? We can speculate but I sense the answers lie in many of the posts we’ve been reading tonight. He’s a wonder boy based on a lot of media hype but the stats have just flattered to deceive IMO.

cyberman

Who started and not started was the choice of the manager and staff. Didn't represent the majority of fans.
True, but I'd say most fans wanted Grealish to start over the others.
Grealish got cheers because he came on when England needed a goal. That’s not Rooney being a force of nature that had to start every game. Rooney really was a movement, Jack got praised by telling us he could win a lot of free kicks when he comes on.
It’s completely different emotions.

tob

What did Rooney do in 04 though? Compared to Grealish..
As a stand alone player he, Rooney, achieved more.
But that's not the point. I'm comparing fans feelings - not player against player.
United fans -04 vs. City fans -21.

cyberman

Saka’s back at Arsenal and expected to be involved vs Spurs tomorrow.
Yeah but he didn’t fly back to finalise a transfer then head off?
I do agree it’s a bit over the top.
Also, why the feck is there a NL derby 1 week before the start of the season?!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Arsenal played Chelsea last week too! Always weird how different the pre-season prep is for the various clubs. We’ve definitely played less games than most. I don’t know why.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Does even he understand what HE said in that first tweet to begin with?
I mean it's very clear what he's saying, he breaks down how Chelsea play pretty accurately, but the way he says it, especially the first part about the back 3 and two in the middle cracks me up every time :lol:

Glorio

Unsure - if I remember correctly though, he may have started his holiday later due to finalising his contract situation after the Euros. Also, settling back in a 'new' country may have given Sancho a few extra days, who knows how they determine these things these days.

Inigo Montoya

Got to have some practice for lower league sides mate. I mean who else can they get match practice against? All the Championship and FL sides are now playing

tob

Maybe but Southgate saw everything in training and decided that he wasn’t an instant starter. Why? We can speculate but I sense the answers lie in many of the posts we’ve been reading tonight. He’s a wonder boy based on a lot of media hype but the stats have just flattered to deceive IMO.
Yeah. As fans we can only see what's happening on the field in a match. Plus stats - that many fans like to bring up.
At first I didn't really get the hype of Grealish, but he do bring some fear in the opponents. He's hard to play against. Mainly because he gets himself fouled a lot and wins many freekicks.
Overhyped or not - this season will be interesting to follow and see how it turns out.

decorativeed

As a stand alone player he, Rooney, achieved more.
But that's not the point. I'm comparing fans feelings - not player against player.
United fans -04 vs. City fans -21.
Do you think you're the voice of all England fans or something? It's fair to say that many people wanted to see a more attack-minded side, and Grealish would have been part of that, alongside Sancho, Rashford, Foden and Bellingham, as opposed to the likes of Jordan Henderson.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Saka’s back at Arsenal and expected to be involved vs Spurs tomorrow.
He might get 10/20mn but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play at all tomorrow.I don't think he will start the season either.
Losing the final, the racist abuse and the drawn out transfer saga is a lot to deal with for Sancho. Better take 1 or 2 weeks off than trying to comeback too fast.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City

This is exactly my opinion. One of England’s greatest ever players.

However when you looked at him as an 19 year old, you’d say he could have been one of the best ever.

RDCR07

Don't think I can point the finger at specific parts of his game, but pretty much this:
If you are comparing any footballer to Ronaldo or Messi they are going to fall short. And in case you forget two seasons after Ronaldo left Rooney was massive for us. He led the line well and we wouldn’t have won what we won after Ronaldo left if it wasn’t for Rooney.

How many top footballers do you think would selflessly sacrifice their ego to play second fiddle to another player? How many top footballers would stop playing in their original position and play elsewhere just cause it could be beneficial to their team.

The records he has at this club in terms of goals contributions won’t be beat anytime soon. He was a generational talent. Just cause he didn’t reach the potential of Ronaldo doesn’t mean he did reach his potential.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I presumed it was more likely down to covid complications with Sancho moving to the Manchester from Germany, whereas Grealish is moving from Birmingham.

Borninthe80ts

I'd have to agree with these comments. It felt like Rooney when he joined us had the touch, skill, awareness, and energy to play in any forward position. 2 goals he scored against Boro in the cup early in his career are still make me hope he had more drive.