Jack Grealish | Man City

marktan

So none of the variables are the same then? The fees are different, they favour different positions, one is younger than the other..

I'm not getting your point here.
Quelle surprise, caf being pedantic.
£100m Vs £70m - aka a big money signing.
They're both better on the LW.

The point was simply that as a comparison of the two we could've signed, neither have done particularly well. Nothing more.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

The point was simply that as a comparison of the two we could've signed, neither have done particularly well. Nothing more.
Sancho is 21, and Grealish is 26. And one was 30m cheaper. There is an obvious difference.

GMoore23

Technically or athletically is he exceptional at any particular skillset?

He's good at shielding the ball, but his dribbling isn't exceptional - because he can't actually get past his man that often. I don't think his passing or vision were ever special.
He's just a foul winning merchant.

cyberman

It’s not pedantic. We literally refused to pay 100m for Sancho a year ago and waited a year to get the price down. Pretending it’s similar doesn’t make sense.

Marwood

What's the reference to Ronaldinho though? Did you draw that comparison or put him on that level?

Highfather_24

Kinda sad that this bothered you enough to @ random people after months. I dont even know who you are.

Never used any hyperbole like that, nor believe in bs like "he's a crap player". I still think he is a very good player, but obviously is not playing in the same role at City, and players usually take time to adjust there. Hopefully he doesnt, because City look like winning the league anyway.

dal

He will get much better. All of Peps signings usually do. His system is hard to master especially coming from Aston Villa.

JuriM

There have been plenty of times where Mahrez, Bernardo, Rodri, Sterling all looked like foreign objects in this City system and eventually they adapted and fit in will. Next season he will be monster there.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
High usage player(to borrow a basketball phrase) doesn't look as good when every pass doesn't go towards him, shocking.
It's not that he doesn't look as good, it's that he doesn't look better than the others

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Absolute horse sh1te.
Griezmann one of the most overrated players out there
He can be overrated and still be more accomplished, productive player than Grealish. Both can be right.

TheReligion

Abusive

The thread is about £100 pound signings though.

So really you're in the wrong thread unfortunately. I'll let it go though as it's Christmas.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Technically or athletically is he exceptional at any particular skillset?

He's good at shielding the ball, but his dribbling isn't exceptional - because he can't actually get past his man that often. I don't think his passing or vision were ever special.
Yeah, winning fouls.

Blood Mage

A good player who doesn't suit Pep ball at all. I'm not sure why City signed him.

Maybe Pep can coach him to be a more efficient machine like Bernardo Silva but we'll see.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Absolute horse sh1te.
Griezmann one of the most overrated players out there
Griezmann shits on Grealish in terms of productivity, consistency and what he’s achieved as a player.

crossy1686

career ending
He can't dribble and take on his players like he did before -

Just too much of a stop and pass mentality that is quite refined and slow which makes him the slowest player on the pitch when he tries to do it; hogging on to the ball unnecessarily.

Would be a better player at United or even Chelsea.
I think a lot of people said this before he moved. He just isn't suited to City's game and you can see he irritates Pep by dwelling on the ball.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Some of you guys are hating on him because he went to City instead of us through no fault of his own. They paid the money, he had no choice.

He might be ill-suited to their style, but he is a better player than he has shown there.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
With Silva rumored to be leaving last season, and Gundogan on the wrong side of 30, it was a purchase that made sense. If City had their way they would have got Grealish and Kane. Cancelo and Zinchenko play at LB, and Torres was signed as a wide forward. So your first sentence doesn't really make any sense.

De Bruyne's competition is B Silva/Gundogan, not Grealish. When he gets back to full form he'll most likely play as the false 9, unless his competition is injured or suffers a loss in form. Then the left wing option will be between Grealish and Foden.

Kevin Love/Chris Bosh?

But the comparison between basketball and football is somewhat flawed when applicable to Grealish. His "problem" isn't having to deal with not being the main man, it's learning how to marry his strengths with the way City play (one touch football, give and go).

He is playing on the left wing right now because Gundogan and B. Silva are great and understand the system better, also because mistakes made on the left wing are less prone to being punished. As a winger his dribbling isn't threatening. When he moves into midfield it'll become invaluable, as he has the ability to retain possession until the right moment. That was something David Silva excelled at.

There's no guarantee of this signing being a success. But the last few pages read so much like Caf commentary on B. Silva, Cancelo, Rodri, in their first seasons. If I was a betting man...
I don’t see the comparison to any of those players personally. Silva, Rodri and Cancelo were team-oriented players when they were bought, they always worked hard and worked for others. Understanding how to apply those skills to Pep’s system is clearly difficult so while the initial criticism was fair to some extent, it was accelerated by a giddiness to laugh at the opposition. That giddiness undoubtedly applies here too but I don’t see the same base qualities that are fundamental to Pep’s midfielders.

For me he’s much more comparable to Mahrez. Selfish, indulgent, often one dimensional and always a questionable fit for that team. If he has a similar trajectory to Mahrez he’d be an absolute failure in my view. Mahrez has maybe been a modest success and he eventually integrated to a passable degree after the usual struggles, but with the investment into Grealish he’d have to deliver a lot more.

You say he’s playing left wing because mistakes get punished less there, but that’s been the case throughout his career. He’s got a huge ego and gets more joy from beating too many players than playing the right pass. I don’t see him holding onto the ball until the right moment very often myself. Pep can teach some things but he’s never been able to teach Mahrez how to do anything else. That’s not just a question about skill but the player’s identity, about willing to put the team before the individual. Bernardo Silva was always way better at that then either of them, IMO.

He’ll undoubtedly get better under Pep after the usual adjustment period and maybe they’ll play a completely different style after he leaves. But my bets are on him being a stupid purchase.

Kemba Walker was awesome on the Hornets and been getting dogged since he left for Boston. Some of that is injury related, but as a Knicks fan I can say he also has no concept of how to play in a lower usage capacity where everything isn't just built around giving him freedom to do whatever he wants offensively.
It’s interesting this high / low usage player idea is so familiar in basketball because it’s almost never discussed in footy even under a different name, as far as I can tell. But I do think it applies a lot to folks like Grealish, Ben Arfa etc

lloyd2wayne

Some of you guys are hating on him because he went to City instead of us through no fault of his own. They paid the money, he had no choice.

He might be ill-suited to their style, but he is a better player than he has shown there.
How can someone hate on someone who they didn’t want here in the first place and he’s actually playing shit at the moment.

He’s an OK player nothing more. Don’t let the low socks fool you. 26 year old generational talent.l, he will be 35 and you will still be making excuses for him.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
How can someone hate on someone who they didn’t want here in the first place and he’s actually playing shit at the moment.

He’s an OK player nothing more. Don’t let the low socks fool you. 26 year old generational talent.l, he will be 35 and you will still be making excuses for him.
It’s too early to pass judgment on Grealish at City (or Sancho at United for that matter). I did find the hype around Grealish to be overwrought though. People were actually having discussions about whether he was better than Neymar FFS.

lex talionis

City play one touch football, which is the antithesis of Grealish’s instincts. He likes to take a man on, 4 or 5 touches, before making the pass or taking the shot. Whether that instinct can be drained from his DNA remains to be seen. Brilliant player though, no doubt about it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Didnt watch the match.

Considering how much of a "flop talk" he has gotten -

How did he do yesterday?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Didnt watch the match.

Considering how much of a "flop talk" he has gotten -

How did he do yesterday?
He was brilliant throughout but let's just say Leeds played into City's hands the entire game so the challenge also wasn't the biggest.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Its such a shame that he has become a very technically gifted radar in a very well-drilled team in stead of being the main man and creative brain at Villa. It was so much more fun to watch at Villa..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His best quality is ball carrying in transition. City don't do a lot of transition since most teams don't really attack them. He's still a good enough passer and dribbler to still contribute, but they just don't use him to the best of his abilities. And he just doesn't stand out in that context from the sterlings, bernardo, de bruyne, etc...

Also Foden is making the leap which is kind of obscuring Graelish. They paid £100M in transfer fee alone for a worse player than their own homegrown young starlet :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His best quality is ball carrying in transition. City don't do a lot of transition since most teams don't really attack them. He's still a good enough passer and dribbler to still contribute, but they just don't use him to the best of his abilities. And he just doesn't stand out in that context from the sterlings, bernardo, de bruyne, etc...

Also Foden is making the leap which is kind of obscuring Graelish. They paid £100M in transfer fee alone for a worse player than their own homegrown young starlet :lol:
This is the word what I've been trying to put in the right words for a long time and hadn't so I'm really glad you've said it.

It's the thing I see that had left his game at City most because its more now being in the right place at the right time and then making the right pass rather than dribbling with the ball up and down the pitch.

OverratedOpinion

Can you give me 30% of your salary next week?

As there is no difference between 70% and 100%, if you say no you are just being pedantic.

romufc

The caf being pedantic?

£100m v £70m is not remotely the same. Delusion settings that.

We have also seen it in the past, players from other leagues take a while to settle in. Sancho is 21 compare to Grealish who is 26.

There are many differentials. Grealish mainly plays LW and Sancho can play anywhere in the front line.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He was brilliant throughout but let's just say Leeds played into City's hands the entire game so the challenge also wasn't the biggest.
He was fantastic last night. More of that more often please.

I love how City fans seem forced to oversell his performances as if they had to justify his fee ^^

If he was superb, what do you call Mahrez, Foden and KdB's performances? In a 7-0 win, i'm not sure this performance is that significant.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He was the best player on the pitch for the opening 20 minutes but faded thereafter a lot becoming more bit part. Feels like he's playing under the weight of his price tag at times and he still needs to be quicker on the ball. Lets the game pass him by a little.

romufc

He was the best player on the pitch for the opening 20 minutes but faded thereafter a lot becoming more bit part. Feels like he's playing under the weight of his price tag at times and he still needs to be quicker on the ball. Lets the game pass him by a little.
This is the case for most players who go for £100m. Apart from Mbappe and Neymar who are doing it in the French League, no other £100m signing has been a success like that.

The fee plays a big part in it.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
This is the case for most players who go for £100m. Apart from Mbappe and Neymar who are doing it in the French League, no other £100m signing has been a success like that.

The fee plays a big part in it.
I don't think it's the fee itself that plays such a huge part, it's more likely that these fees were not justified in the first place. The 2017 version of Neymar is FAR better than what Grealish will ever be.

Most analysts said that what City paid for Grealish was way too high even before he started to play for City. 80M player maybe, 100M was absurd.

romufc

I don't think it's the fee itself that plays such a huge part, it's more likely that these fees were not justified in the first place. The 2017 version of Neymar is FAR better than what Grealish will ever be.

Most analysts said that what City paid for Grealish was way too high even before he started to play for City. 80M player maybe, 100M was absurd.
Yes, but that is reflected in the fee, Neymar went for £200m not £100m. Its the English tax on top which is the reason City had to pay £100m.

I feel the fee pays a big part, Griezman, Felix, Dembele, Coutinhi, Hazard have all failed to live up to the price tag.