Jack Grealish | Man City

Lecland07

Has he played at least one full game of football a week this season?

Cos if not, that's a lack of game time.
Is it that much different to the other City wingers, though? All of them are pretty low in comparison to wingers in other sides.

I think Guardiola just likes to change his wingers, so there is not much to make out of it.

Premier League Minutes
Foden - 1,855
Sterling - 1,823
Grealish -1,638
Mahrez - 1,334

Random comparisons:
Bowen: 2,633
Salah: 2,602
Son: 2,597
Mane: 2,486

Last edited:

Sylar

I think less is being made of it because City just aren't as big a club and don't generate the clicks that United and Liverpool do to be honest. Grealish also has the bonus of being England's golden boy so he's afforded more of a chance than most. I mean even people here were clamoring for him to bench Raheem at the Euro's despite Sterling being one of the best players and Jack offering pretty little when he got on.
Goes back to the winning trophies (which you've acknowledged)

Of course if ya don't win anything a lot will be made of getting grealish and not scrapping that and going all out for Kane with a higher offer

Marwood

Is it that much different to the other City wingers, though? All of them are pretty low in comparison to wingers in other sides.

I think Guardiola just likes to change his wingers, so there is not much to make out of it.

Premier League Minutes
Foden - 1,855
Sterling - 1,823
Grealish -1,638
Mahrez - 1,334

In comparison:
Bowen: 2,633
Salah: 2,602
Son: 2,597
Mane: 2,486
It doesn't change that he is underplaying just because others also are. Although I'm guessing champs league mins increase the gap?

When you're a really good footballer and cost £100 million you should be playing a game a week. Anything less is a part time footballer.

MUnchies

Still too early to write him off. Guys like Rodri and Cancelo for example took about a year to adjust.
So what’s this premier league proven I keep hearing about then? Every time we go for a player abroad there’s a lot of he’s not premier league proven and even same goes for managers.

So my question is if he’s premier league proven shouldn’t he be hitting the ground running especially if he cost 100 million compared to players you mentioned that came from abroad?

Maguire, Shaw, Stones, Grealis

padr81

Supports
Man City
Has he played at least one full game of football a week this season?

Cos if not, that's a lack of game time.
He's played as much as any other forward at City. 34 matches this season so far.

Marwood

He's played as much as any other forward at City. 34 matches this season so far.
You mean appearances?

Does he play one full game of football a week?

I don't think he does. Which for a player of his ability and cost(he cost twice as much as the players you're comparing him to) isn't really enough. He'll move within two years if it continues.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You mean appearances?

Does he play one full game of football a week?

I don't think he does. Which for a player of his ability and cost(he cost twice as much as the players you're comparing him to) isn't really enough. He'll move within two years if it continues.
Does it matter? Mahrez doesn't, Sterling doesn't, Jesus doesn't, Gundogan doesn't, Stones doesn't, Zinchenko doesn't, Ake doesn't. Don't see them rushing to leave. What he cost doesn't matter really.

Seasons been running 36 weeks, KDB has only played 2900 minutes.
I wonder if he will want to leave too as he's played less than 3 games more and only manages 80 minutes football per week?

flameinthesun

34 games, 5 goals and 3 assists for 100m or 38 games 5 goals and 3 assists for 76.5m.
Tough call on who's been worse really.
Think both signings are more evidence for the fact that these big money transfers very rarely are worth it. Van dyke, Mbappe, other than that it feels like most players bought for more than 70mil could have been replaced instead with a 30/40mil signing. The biggest waste of money for me is still Pepe at arsenal.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Think both signings are more evidence for the fact that these big money transfers very rarely are worth it. Van dyke, Mbappe, other than that it feels like most players bought for more than 70mil could have been replaced instead with a 30/40mil signing. The biggest waste of money for me is still Pepe at arsenal.
I think its a big part English tax too. Grealish has a ton to prove next season I think. He's not a £100m player even at his best though.

Marwood

Does it matter? Mahrez doesn't, Sterling doesn't, Jesus doesn't, Gundogan doesn't, Stones doesn't, Zinchenko doesn't, Ake doesn't. Don't see them rushing to leave. What he cost doesn't matter really.

Seasons been running 36 weeks, KDB has only played 2900 minutes.
I wonder if he will want to leave too as he's played less than 3 games more and only manages 80 minutes football per week?
It does to plenty of players. I guess for the individual it comes down to money vs career.

Being a very high quality footballer and not playing one game a week. Seems a huge waste of career. It will affect his international appearances as things stand. It's why some players who aren't getting enough game time or time in important games move.

Not sure your maths are right either. You oversimplified it by going 2900 divided by 39. Do you reakly think in a season De Bruyne only plays 80 mins a week when fit for selection?

I suppose we'll see. If it stays as it is I think he'll move on.

Last edited:

flameinthesun

I think its a big part English tax too. Grealish has a ton to prove next season I think. He's not a £100m player even at his best though.
Yeah, from a city perspective there are multitudes of players sub-50mil that could provide the type of impact that grealish provides for city, especially in europe. I understand why pep would be drawn to him due to his ball skills but I feel like theres players in the spanish league for example that whilst not at level of grealish would provide the same impact as him.

As a city fan who has been a better player for city, grealish or feran torres?

padr81

Supports
Man City
It does to plenty of players. I guess for the individual it comes down to money vs career.

Being a very high quality footballer and not playing one game a week. Seems a huge waste of career. It will affect his international appearances as things stand. It's why some players who aren't getting enough game time or time in important games move.

Not sure your maths are right either. You oversimplified it by going 2900 divided by 39. Do you reakly think De Bruyne only plays 80 mins a week?

I suppose we'll see. If it stays as it is I think he'll move on.
2900 / 36 = 80.555555, its not incorrect. I mean regardless of how I simplified it Grealish is at 65 minutes or so given he missed 7 matches through injury its not bad.. 2900 (2906 to be exact is what KDB has played in all comps).

Whether Grealish stays or not will not be based on playing time unless his playing time is nerfed significantly, it'll be based purely whether he can hack it or if he's as good as the scouts thought he was.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
For trophies he picked the right side.

For individual glory the wrong one. He would have done well in Ole's shite system.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, from a city perspective there are multitudes of players sub-50mil that could provide the type of impact that grealish provides for city, especially in europe. I understand why pep would be drawn to him due to his ball skills but I feel like theres players in the spanish league for example that whilst not at level of grealish would provide the same impact as him.

As a city fan who has been a better player for city, grealish or feran torres?
Ferran by a distance but Ferran played much less and also stunk the place up for his first season. Home Grown is a big thing too and having a combination of 8 HG player in the squad played a big part in it being Grealish or Kane.
City had Ederson, Steffan, Dias, Laporte, Mendy, Zinchenko, Ake, Cancelo, Rodri, KDB, Bernardo, Mahrez, Jesus, Torres, Fernandinho, Gundogan all non-hg so it had to be an English player with us eyeing up Alvarez (before Torres left).
Mendy and Torres being out the door have cleared it up some way plus the arrival of guys like Palmer etc.. will help but our big signing had to be English.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
34 games, 5 goals and 3 assists for 100m or 38 games 5 goals and 3 assists for 76.5m.
Tough call on who's been worse really.
34 games, 5 goals and 3 assists, 26 year old, PL proven, in a fully functional team for 100m, or
38 games, 5 goals and 3 assists, 21 year old, PL rookie, in a fully dysfunctional team for 76.5m

Not so tough call on who's been worse really.

Marwood

2900 / 36 = 80.555555, its not incorrect. I mean regardless of how I simplified it Grealish is at 65 minutes or so given he missed 7 matches through injury its not bad.. 2900 (2906 to be exact is what KDB has played in all comps).

Whether Grealish stays or not will not be based on playing time unless his playing time is nerfed significantly, it'll be based purely whether he can hack it or if he's as good as the scouts thought he was.
A player knows how he's been used and how he's valued. Someone like De Bruyne being rested for EFL and FA Cup matches is very different to Grealish being dropped for Champs League semi final games. You haven't factored in time out with injury either. But I think you know all this.

I don't just think this of Grealish either. I'm always kind of disappointed with players who could be doing a lot more spending large chunks of their career on the bench.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I really don't think Grealish is that special at all, to me as an outsider he's just an overhyped English player. Comparisons with Sancho are unfair, Sancho will eventually become much better player than him.

Zen

On a G+A per 90 basis which is a reasonably fair stat for an attacking player with the luxury he's given... he's not only the worst City attacking player in their first season in about 10 years, it's also one of the worst of all players in the Pep years - Jesus Navas in 16/17 being the sole outlier.... or KdB's comeback year with a small sample size.

Sterling and Sane struggled a bit in their first years, one with Pellegrini and one in Pep's first year which wasn't as fluent anyway - but still nearly double his output.

He's just insanely out of place in the system, it's another Zlatan for Pep, but the teams so good it can casually get away with it and the fact they've got no striker on top, it's ludicrous.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
On a G+A per 90 basis which is a reasonably fair stat for an attacking player with the luxury he's given... he's not only the worst City attacking player in their first season in about 10 years, it's also one of the worst of all players in the Pep years - Jesus Navas in 16/17 being the sole outlier.... or KdB's comeback year with a small sample size.

Sterling and Sane struggled a bit in their first years, one with Pellegrini and one in Pep's first year which wasn't as fluent anyway - but still nearly double his output.

He's just insanely out of place in the system, it's another Zlatan for Pep, but the teams so good it can casually get away with it and the fact they've got no striker on top, it's ludicrous.
Let's watch Pep make him into a number 8 or something. Many players improved/settled in their second season, so there's a big chance he will still turn out good for them. Maybe not 100m good but close to that, expensive player for a certain role..

Zen

With Silva and KdB signed up until 2025 and Foden likely dropping into covering them more next year means he'll be waiting some time to even get time there. Having a focal point in Haaland will likely help him though, when he does get on the pitch with him next season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
A player knows how he's been used and how he's valued. Someone like De Bruyne being rested for EFL and FA Cup matches is very different to Grealish being dropped for Champs League semi final games. You haven't factored in time out with injury either.

I don't just think this of Grealish either. I'm always kind of disappointed with players who could be doing a lot more spending large chunks of their career on the bench.
If you wanna factor in injury KDB missed 6 matches and Grealish 7.
KDB has played been used more in the League Cup than Grealish this season (2 v 1).
Grealish 4 times in the FA Cup, KDB 3.

Their league times are similar too 1846 v 1637 minutes in favor of KDB.
The big difference between the two is pretty much CL but thats only 200 minutes as well and was 110ish before last night.

Honestly Jacks only been considered dropped the last 2 weeks or so and he deserves it too, he's in poor form and has played far more than he probably should. Gabriel Jesus has done more in a week than he did for the season.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I really don't think Grealish is that special at all, to me as an outsider he's just an overhyped English player. Comparisons with Sancho are unfair, Sancho will eventually become much better player than him.
He is a prime example of “flavour of the month”. There was a point where the media and England fans were crying for him to play and was painted as some kind of saviour. He generally flatters to deceive and is similar to (and worse than) prime Hazard with the amount of fouls he can draw in a game. Beyond that, there’s nothing that screams £100 mil but that’s not his fault. That’s City’s for paying it.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Mahrez didn't get much game time in his first season with City. It took time for new player to adapt to Pep's tactics. May be it is the same for Grealish.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Mahrez didn't get much game time in his first season with City. It took time for new player to adapt to Pep's tactics. May be it is the same for Grealish.
He's had 12 goals and 12 assists in 2551 minutes in his first season, in comparison to Grealish's 5 goals and 3 assists in 2409 minutes.

Nero

The way he was treated as a national treasure during the Euro's is still baffling.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Another brilliant game for the british wonder. 4 goals, still not directly involved in a single one of them (his second half was decent in all fairness but god was he awful in the 1st).

Nero

He won a couple of freekicks so at least he's delivering on his biggest asset.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Decent second half but was easy given Jesse Marsch was being an idiot. Poor first. Maybe unlucky not to come away with a goal or assist but at least he had fun with the paper on the side of the pitch.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
The way he was treated as a national treasure during the Euro's is still baffling.
He was amazing for Villa. Everyone in the forum was fawning over him back then. Looked promising in the little playing time he got for England.

Hardly a surprise that a young, marketable player with lots of flair got love from the fans.

I'm sure I remember someone calling him the "Modern Day Ronaldinho"...:lol:

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I quite enjoy his crowd wind up antics, it's like classic WWF heel stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if he grabs the stadium announcers mic at some stage and calls all the home crowds women fat and ugly.

Red-17

I wouldn’t write him off yet. He wouldn’t be the first Pep signing to have a slow first season only to turn out good in the end. Mahrez was far from perfect early on same as Cancelo. Rodri looked like a lightweight his first season. Clearly takes players some time to adapt with Pep.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I wouldn’t write him off yet. He wouldn’t be the first Pep signing to have a slow first season only to turn out good in the end. Mahrez was far from perfect early on same as Cancelo. Rodri looked like a lightweight his first season. Clearly takes players some time to adapt with Pep.
Mahrez was miles better than Grealish in his first season still.