Jack Grealish | Man City

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its a signing that literally never made sense. He's a deep bench player because they just have better options. He's a good player of course, super overrated because he has good control, but he doesn't fit Pep at all. But his control and getting fouled a lot makes people think he is something he isn't.

Think he would've made a lot more sense as a signing for Chelsea and Tuchel. But anyway.

Grealish was the priority over Kane because they thought Bernardo was leaving. If Bernardo and Laporte had left we'd have gotten Kane too but they didn't (thankfully as they've been 2 of our best players this season)
Spend 100m because a player might leave (he would be a squad player even if Bernardo left), keep said player anyway and just make the 100m player a further back bench player... Nice.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It was obvious it wouldn’t work well.

He’s a good player but he needs to be the man, not just a cog in a wheel.

As others have said they should have spent all that on Kane and they’d be a lot better team for it.

NewYorkRed

Don’t know how to find that post but someone on here said he was the same level as Ronaldinho hahaha

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It was obvious it wouldn’t work well.

He’s a good player but he needs to be the man, not just a cog in a wheel.

As others have said they should have spent all that on Kane and they’d be a lot better team for it.
Thats a flaw raher than a compliment. It's a team sport.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Shame. I loved watched him at Villa. I feel like we're being robbed of a pretty sensational player to watch here. Even if Pep gets him fitted into the City system next season and gets him playing well, it won't ever be the Grealish we knew. It'll be a different, more robotic, pass and move Bernado Silva lite version that is super effective, but the thing I loved about him will have been coached out of him.
It's why I always cringed at the calls for Hazard to be "more ruthless".

Him taking 20 speculative shots a game to pad his tally out would have took away from what made him special, even if it did result in a high enough number of goals to appease the top line brigade.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its a signing that literally never made sense. He's a deep bench player because they just have better options. He's a good player of course, super overrated because he has good control, but he doesn't fit Pep at all. But his control and getting fouled a lot makes people think he is something he isn't.

Think he would've made a lot more sense as a signing for Chelsea and Tuchel. But anyway.

Spend 100m because a player might leave (he would be a squad player even if Bernardo left), keep said player anyway and just make the 100m player a further back bench player... Nice.
If Grealish was really a bench warmer he's sure conned Pep.

I mean he's played more minutes in the premier league than Riyad Mahrez who's having potentially his best ever season so far but lets not let facts get in the way of making up nonsense? Mahrez is a bench player too right? So's Foden and Sterling.
Everyone at City are squad players (bar KDB, Cancelo and Dias) so the bolded is pointless. He's also been injured more than any of our attackers this season.

Starts in the all comps for our 5 attackers:
Mahrez: 26
Grealish: 26
Sterling: 27
Foden: 29
Jesus: 20

Grealish obviously never gets a game...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I mean he's played more minutes in the premier league than Riyad Mahrez who's having potentially his best ever season so far but lets not let facts get in the way of making up nonsense? Mahrez is a bench player too right? So's Foden and Sterling.
Everyone at City are squad players (bar KDB, Cancelo and Dias) so the bolded is pointless. He's also been injured more than any of our attackers this season.

I mean he gets game time of course, Pep is very good at rotating his squad too, but what pecking order would you honestly have those guys in? I'd say Pep sees Grealish at the bottom of that group arguably in an important game. You need a squad, and like you say he's a squad player... But he's easily replaceable and not used in big moments.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I mean he gets game time of course, Pep is very good at rotating his squad too, but what pecking order would you honestly have those guys in? I'd say Pep sees Grealish at the bottom of that group arguably in an important game. You need a squad, and like you say he's a squad player... But he's easily replaceable and not used in big moments.
Me personally, I have Grealish at the bottom even below Jesus (like Bernardo 1st season syndrome).

Pep though has established pretty firmly his front 3 in all but games where we play more direct is Mahrez, Foden, Grealish. Sterling and Jesus play the physical battles where we need pace and directness.
If I was a betting man I'd bet my house on (if they aren't injured) that it's Mahrez, Foden, Grealish who start vs Real (as that will be a less physical and direct game) and in our other 2 big league games vs Wolves and West Ham.

You want my personal front 3 its Sterling, Foden and Mahrez.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

I think even he too will start rotating with the others as he really isn't better than Laporte and Stone IMO and they haven't missed him in his absence.

As for Grealish, i think he's been extremely average so far. But for anyone to claim he doesn't get much game or doesn't ever play the big games, it's simply not true at all. I personally think he's actually played way more than he should have done.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think even he too will start rotating with the others as he really isn't better than Laporte and Stone IMO and they haven't missed him in his absence.

As for Grealish, i think he's been extremely average so far. But for anyone to claim he doesn't get much game or doesn't ever play the big games, it's simply not true at all. I personally think he's actually played way more than he should have done.
I think Dias is our best CB but not by a huge amount not Laporte has found form.

Grealish has played more than he has merited for sure but while his end product is poor he leads a lot of the more mundane metrics for us. I think next season is the real make or break for Jack.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I think Dias is our best CB but not by a huge amount not Laporte has found form.

Grealish has played more than he has merited for sure but while his end product is poor he leads a lot of the more mundane metrics for us. I think next season is the real make or break for Jack.
Dias has leadership qualities and the other 2 seem more laid back, he's also more of an old school type of defender and the other 2 are more elegant at their defending and are definitely better on the ball than Dias.
I really don't see Dias as being special though, he wasn't at Benfica and definitely isn't for the Portuguese NT. I think Pep's system elevates him a lot, but that also applies to almost every City player though.

For Grealish, I've always believed that next season will be the real season to judge him. Bernardo, Sané, Mahrez and some others all looked average or less than average in their first season under Pep, and then stepped their game up immensely the next season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Dias has leadership qualities and the other 2 seem more laid back, he's also more of an old school type of defender and the other 2 are more elegant at their defending and are definitely better on the ball than Dias.
I really don't see Dias as being special though, he wasn't at Benfica and definitely isn't for the Portuguese NT. I think Pep's system elevates him a lot, but that also applies to almost every City player though.

For Grealish, I've always believed that next season will be the real season to judge him. Bernardo, Sané, Mahrez and some others all looked average or less than average in their first season under Pep, and then stepped their game up immensely the next season.
For sure. I think last night would have been more comfortable with Dias in but one the ball Stones and Laporte are well ahead. I think Dias pairs well with either one in a Rio and Vidic or Terry and Carvalho kind of way. What I will say is John Stones has been superb again when called on. Since he's put on that bit of muscle 18 months ago he's a different player. No longer easier bullied. I think Pep's system elevates them all a bit but what really elevates Dias is his focus (another strong mental attribute), he's always switched on compared to the other two who can get a little casual. I do think his mentality is what singles him out as above the others but Stones in particular has made huge strides in the tougher aspects of defending.

100% on Jack. I've seen it too often with Pep to write him off already even if I do joke and admit its a poor season.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Pointless move for him. There’s no way he’ll be happy inside not being a main part of the team, regardless of what they end up winning this season. He’s a main character player.

Nero

Remember people calling him a generational talent on here last summer. Funny.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
£100m for a cheerleader. Looks the part too.

marktan

Wanted him over Sancho, didn't think both of them would end up having crap seasons.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
There is only one Birmingham boy worth £100 mil, and it ain’t Greasy!

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Me personally, I have Grealish at the bottom even below Jesus (like Bernardo 1st season syndrome).

Pep though has established pretty firmly his front 3 in all but games where we play more direct is Mahrez, Foden, Grealish. Sterling and Jesus play the physical battles where we need pace and directness.
If I was a betting man I'd bet my house on (if they aren't injured) that it's Mahrez, Foden, Grealish who start vs Real (as that will be a less physical and direct game) and in our other 2 big league games vs Wolves and West Ham.

You want my personal front 3 its Sterling, Foden and Mahrez.
Good thing you aren't a betting man:nervous:

BerryBerryShrew

No evidence of this. Do we even have a style or system?
I think that's his point though. Grealish is an excellent individual who flourishes when given freedom. A system based approach that prioritises positioning and quick interplay like City have is something that he is struggling with whereas here he would be able to play heroball as he sees fit (like Bruno last year) because we aren't properly coached.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think that's his point though. Grealish is an excellent individual who flourishes when given freedom. A system based approach that prioritises positioning and quick interplay like City have is something that he is struggling with whereas here he would be able to play heroball as he sees fit (like Bruno last year) because we aren't properly coached.
Not next season

Abraxas

I'd have loved us to sign him, he's a very good player. I think he's struggling to adapt to Pep's demands, and also the very positional style they play that doesn't call for him to be the epicentre of the team in the way he was for Villa. I don't think it's about game time.

It doesn't mean he won't come good at some stage, but they also have unbelievable competition for any role he might play so it's not guaranteed either. Even though he cost so much which would ordinarily place pressure on a manager, it won't with Pep because he can do no wrong.

Will be interesting to see if he picks up or just kind of fades away at City. Very much 50/50.

NoPace

I think he looks better when he plays inside for City, so maybe if Bernardo Silva leaves and De Bruyne slows down a touch in his age 31 season, he can be used as a CM since De Bruyne often plays so advanced now they need a worker alongside him, but maybe that changes if De Bruyne plays a touch deeper as he gets older? Or the opposite, and you don't want De Bruyne coming back as much and need even more legs alongside him.

Or, they could sign a left-footed fullback Mendy replacement like Davies or Theo to get more width that way.

But as a pure winger, it looks like a 60M overpayment.

Sylar

If he ends up with a league title and CL medal he will be happy of course. Hes only 26 so he will surely back himself to break into the team and be more involved after a first season like that.

I did think he would link up well with Shaw if we had signed him. When we signed Donny, we really shouldhave payed a bit extra and got him instead (Wasnt he Oles first choice anyway?)

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Incredibly overrated, the amount of fawning over him was embarrassing on this forum.

“Best player in the league” “Most entertaining player to watch since Ronaldinho” :lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If he ends up with a league title and CL medal he will be happy of course. Hes only 26 so he will surely back himself to break into the team and be more involved after a first season like that.

I did think he would link up well with Shaw if we had signed him. When we signed Donny, we really shouldhave payed a bit extra and got him instead (Wasnt he Oles first choice anyway?)
Shaw is useless

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
We know how Pep is, he's not going to play him until he conforms to what he wants, and he's got some competition, but I expect to see much more from him in the future. It's too early to call him a flop when you know how City operates under Pep IMO.

Trex

Good thing we got Sancho especially when you consider the kind of football we would look to play next season