Jack Grealish | Man City

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
In the England squad over Sancho. Southgate special. Good for us anyway.

croadyman

I would say he'll leave, but honestly I think being at City suits him down to the ground. Unless City force him out, he'll happily be the bit part player who can afford to get very drunk every chance he gets, while winning trophies.
Yeah he loves the lifestyle and cash,no bother to City because they are in luxurious position to piss away £100m

Last edited:

Grande

Bollocks, Mahrez won the PFA Players' Player of the Year award and went on to achieve double digits goals&assits for the second time at Leicester. How on earth is this comparable to what Grealish achieved at Villa?
I’m not going to claim Grealish is better than or even as good as Mahrez. Watching him at Villa, and Mahrez at Leicester, I think they were of a similar level, and the interesting thing to me is that both struggled being as effective in their first season at City.

Comparing their goals and assists make little sense, as they’ve had different roles. Grealish was more a director of Villa’s attacking play, a left sided playmaker, whereas Mahrez was the trigger and joint spearhead for Leicesters direct football, being set up by Maddison or Albrighton to go 1-on-1 and cut in or find Vardy. He deserved his POTY award, but he’d never have got that hadn’t all the stars and the ghost of Richard III alligned to send Leicester to the barmiest lesgue title ever. I also remember him struggling the following season, coming good again the next season, yet his thread here was full of lukewarm responses to rumours of him going to United. Grealish to me stood out two seasons back as one of the best in his role in the PL. Had Villa won hje league, he’d no doubt would have been contender for POTY, a moot point.

What my point was, was that claiming that defenders love to see Grealish coming at them has littleto do with his best level, and more to do with him fitting in a City, which Mahrez also took a season or so to do.

georgipep

I’m not going to claim Grealish is better than or even as good as Mahrez. Watching him at Villa, and Mahrez at Leicester, I think they were of a similar level, and the interesting thing to me is that both struggled being as effective in their first season at City.

Comparing their goals and assists make little sense, as they’ve had different roles. Grealish was more a director of Villa’s attacking play, a left sided playmaker, whereas Mahrez was the trigger and joint spearhead for Leicesters direct football, being set up by Maddison or Albrighton to go 1-on-1 and cut in or find Vardy. He deserved his POTY award, but he’d never have got that hadn’t all the stars and the ghost of Richard III alligned to send Leicester to the barmiest lesgue title ever. I also remember him struggling the following season, coming good again the next season, yet his thread here was full of lukewarm responses to rumours of him going to United. Grealish to me stood out two seasons back as one of the best in his role in the PL. Had Villa won hje league, he’d no doubt would have been contender for POTY, a moot point.

What my point was, was that claiming that defenders love to see Grealish coming at them has littleto do with his best level, and more to do with him fitting in a City, which Mahrez also took a season or so to do.
Maddison signed for Leicester in 2018. He watched their title winning season while playing for Norwich.

Kante and Drinkwater were the two midfielders for Leicester, with Vardy and Okazaki upfront and Albrighton and Mahrez on the wings.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City

Grealish were a shoe-in for POTY in his last year at Villa, but too many games missed through injuries after christmas stopped him. Don't think he he even had to produce in those games he just had to play to justify it, the media loved him and pushed for it, he was fantastic that season. Think Dias got it instead, KdB maybe

HackeyC

The fact he ripped into Bernado Silva post season makes his situation even funnier.

MUnchies

He is shit. You put him on this pedestal for what ever reason just because he did good at Aston Villa :lol: he has always been nothing special, there's no way anyone can watch him play and think this guy is special.

You are now trying to play mental gymnastics to convince people why he is good because no the whole world has realized he is a fraud of a player.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You’re right, messed Maddison in there.
But the point is Leicester had no other playmakers in the team, they were a functional unit with the exception of Mahrez, just like Villa. Mahrez at Leicester wasn’t someone that just offered end product, he’s just taken on that more limited role at City. He was both a playmaker and a decisive player. Grealish hogged more of the ball, but he didn’t influence more of the play.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Lost in all the overreaction in this thread is the fact that none of City's wide players this season are playing great so far. Foden isn't having the best season. Bernando plays well in midfield... From the right wing, not so much. Mahrez didn't do much in the last CL game. Sterling lost his effectiveness and left after last season.

Couple that with the fact that Cancelo and Walker are tucked in at midfield, instead of helping to stretch the wings... The winger position is a thankless position at City currently. Most of the time you're doubled up on and your only option is to pass back.

I've long thought that Grealish isn't a winger, and would be better suited in midfield as one of the 2 AMs. The problem is that currently he has De Bruyne, Bernando Silva, and Gundogan to contend with for one of the 2 AM slots. For Guardiola, it's easier for him to slot a midfielder into a winger slot. If Bernando ever leaves, and as Gundogan gets old, I see Foden and Grealish becoming solid rotation options in midfield.

Ignoring the price tag, he's been solid for City to date. Probably would play better in a team that can't dominate possession as much (meaning more space for him to run into), but what are the odds that team would be as good as City today?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not only adex is biggest fan of Pep you'll see, but now he's became big fan of City too because of him. Amazing stuff.

ROFLUTION

Lost in all the overreaction in this thread is the fact that none of City's wide players this season are playing great so far. Foden isn't having the best season. Bernando plays well in midfield... From the right wing, not so much. Mahrez didn't do much in the last CL game. Sterling lost his effectiveness and left after last season.

Couple that with the fact that Cancelo and Walker are tucked in at midfield, instead of helping to stretch the wings... The winger position is a thankless position at City currently. Most of the time you're doubled up on and your only option is to pass back.

I've long thought that Grealish isn't a winger, and would be better suited in midfield as one of the 2 AMs. The problem is that currently he has De Bruyne, Bernando Silva, and Gundogan to contend with for one of the 2 AM slots. For Guardiola, it's easier for him to slot a midfielder into a winger slot. If Bernando ever leaves, and as Gundogan gets old, I see Foden and Grealish becoming solid rotation options in midfield.

Ignoring the price tag, he's been solid for City to date. Probably would play better in a team that can't dominate possession as much (meaning more space for him to run into), but what are the odds that team would be as good as City today?
City has the most goals in the league + Foden’s been fine. 3 assists and 1 goal in 6 matches in PL. Grealish has had very little end product and hasnt features much as he’s just not performing as good as others. Dwells too much on the ball in every match. Not sure what you’re getting at.

EngimaMK

Can't understand why pep sanctioned a100m move for him? He is really not a Pep style player so why did he go for him?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
City has the most goals in the league + Foden’s been fine. 3 assists and 1 goal in 6 matches in PL. Grealish has had very little end product and hasnt features much as he’s just not performing as good as others. Dwells too much on the ball in every match. Not sure what you’re getting at.
1. I'm sure you missed the chatter about Foden not passing to Haaland earlier in the season.
2. Yeah there's more to performance than G+A
3. Grealish had a knock which impacted his feature count. After the knock went straight back into the team.
4. Yeah I mentioned he's just been ok.

Not sure what you're getting at to be honest.

Grande

He is shit. You put him on this pedestal for what ever reason just because he did good at Aston Villa :lol: he has always been nothing special, there's no way anyone can watch him play and think this guy is special.

You are now trying to play mental gymnastics to convince people why he is good because no the whole world has realized he is a fraud of a player.
Is this how you get out of the newbies these days?

Grande

But the point is Leicester had no other playmakers in the team, they were a functional unit with the exception of Mahrez, just like Villa. Mahrez at Leicester wasn’t someone that just offered end product, he’s just taken on that more limited role at City. He was both a playmaker and a decisive player. Grealish hogged more of the ball, but he didn’t influence more of the play.
i don’t necessarily disagree, but I still think they played somewhat different roles, and Leicester was a more functional unit by far that season Mahrez got POTY. Which, again, I thought was well deserved, but I don’t think he’d have got it if Leicester ended up a more normal fourth. He was fabulous that year though, no doubt.

Flying_Heckfish

Kind of signing we'd make under SAF tbh, baded on profile. Player growing out of his team. ready for the step up. Proven in the league for whatever that is worth. However Fergie tried to hire the man, not the talent. Does he have the desire? Maybe we'd have passed :lol:

He's a good player, not sure City's football suits him, but the best players either force the manager to build the team around them, or adapt.

MUnchies

Is this how you get out of the newbies these days?
Why because I said you favorite player is shit? I am United fan on a United forum saying one of our rivals player is shit. Why are you desperate to prove he is good?

And also what is it with this newbie thing every main member brings up. It's funny and weird because you know you are just posting on the internet right? you don't get no reward, certificate, NOTHING and it's really not that of an achievement being a regular on an internet forum. Congratulation on being a main member, I hope that pays your bills.

El Jefe

I was always of the opinion that he was overrated. For some strange reason a lot of people acted like his exploits for Villa in the first half of the season in 20/21 was something groundbreaking. Don't get me wrong he played very well but I maintained he didn’t even reach the level of Payet at West Ham or Mahrez at Leicester in their amazing seasons and they didn't get half the hype Grealish did in his half season.

There was talk of him becoming the greatest English player since Gazza and that was parroted here and in the media repeatedly. After his game against Spain that year, the media love-in was at the most disproportionate level for a player I've ever seen. He was pretty much Joe Cole but packaged as Zidane. The idea of Grealish was much bigger than the player himself, I mean just look at the reaction of the crowd at the Euros whenever he came on, it was hilarious and made even funnier by him doing feck all when he got on the pitch.

Not to say he isn't a good player but his game is extremely basic. Having a team built round him makes him look really good but he's not good enough for a top class side to be built around him.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Why because I said you favorite player is shit? I am United fan on a United forum saying one of our rivals player is shit. Why are you desperate to prove he is good?

And also what is it with this newbie thing every main member brings up. It's funny and weird because you know you are just posting on the internet right? you don't get no reward, certificate, NOTHING and it's really not that of an achievement being a regular on an internet forum. Congratulation on being a main member, I hope that pays your bills.
For the love of God, give this poster a like!

AFC NimbleThumb

I did a quick search and I can only find one post from a newbie comparing him to Ronaldinho. This is largely over blown.
Overblown? The post asked who was that poster. Barely overstating saying he remembers a poster when you’ve said found that post.

Anyway I did a quick search of my own ‘Ronaldinho Grealish’ & results are plentiful. On the first page alone you have them mentioned in the same breath in a way to justify Grealish’s being unprofessional. Tge levels of hyperbole around that guy were so high prior to his move.

What a strange thing to get upset over. . .

georgipep

Leicester played counter-attacking 'hit and run' football with long balls to Mahrez, Albrighton, Vardy and Okazaki. The closest to playmaking they had was spraying long balls over the opposition.

Lecland07

After all the flack in this thread, he just scored in 1 minute of the match starting.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Similar performance, lots of neat touches with no major cutting edge. Wish he'd get in the box like he did for the goal more, Sterling used to bag 12 a season like that.

Chief123

After all the flack in this thread, he just scored in 1 minute of the match starting.
Regardless of him scoring, he still doesn’t look like he fits this team. It’s fast passing until it gets to him when the tempo slows down. He’s a good player but in a system he doesn’t suit.

Chief123

Was always nailed on to score after this crap. Caf never learns
Does 1 goal completely change 13 months? :lol: C’mon, don’t be naive.

He could score 5 today and it doesn’t change the assessment of him in this team.