Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

POF

So is he best playing through the middle or off the left? We seem to enjoy filling our squad with players who would rather play there, even though Rashford has that spot nailed.
I'm not so sure. He's been pretty predictable there the last couple of games and Martial finished both games on the left.

In reality, the front 3 should all be capable of rotating based on the game situation. Rashford should spend periods of most games on the right, through the middle or even just behind the striker.

Having another player who can play in the front 3 can only be a good thing.

Beaucoup

There must be a good reason Southgate won’t select him for England and would rather call up Ross fecking Barkley.

Classical Mechanic

There must be a good reason Southgate won’t select him for England and would rather call up Ross fecking Barkley.
He’s only really just sustained form at the top level in the past few months. Previously he was in The Championship and wasn’t really knocking the door down before the recent glut of internationals. As it happens, when he came into this form there’s a four month wait till the next internationals. I’d be amazed if he doesn't get a chance come come March.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
So is he best playing through the middle or off the left? We seem to enjoy filling our squad with players who would rather play there, even though Rashford has that spot nailed.
Depends what you want from him and how the team is set up. Dan Smith said this about him:

It is that attitude that so impresses Smith, who said: "He can play a number of positions.

"He can play as part of a two in midfield, play as a 10, play as an eight when we play a one and two (an attacking midfielder behind two strikers), he can play left, he can play right.

"I just feel at the moment, for the balance of the team, it (left wing) is a really good position for him. That's the thing a mature Jack knows now, that he is doing a job for the team by being there.

"I feel he gives the opposition problems when he gets on the ball and runs at them, and as we saw against Newcastle, he won two free-kicks that led to two goals."

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
In my opinion, he is the most natural talented english next to Sterling, Sancho and maybe Foden. On the ball he is talented enough to play anywhere.

But to realize his potential and to be a key figure for a top team he need to improve a couple of aspects of his game, and it is all about being a bit less arrogant and more hungry;

A) Play with higher intensity off the ball and improve his movement.
B) Playing more direct football, moving the ball quicker, using less touches.

I dont think Maddison is as talented, but he is getting better at A) and B).

Dan_F

I'm not so sure. He's been pretty predictable there the last couple of games and Martial finished both games on the left.

In reality, the front 3 should all be capable of rotating based on the game situation. Rashford should spend periods of most games on the right, through the middle or even just behind the striker.

Having another player who can play in the front 3 can only be a good thing.
I agree that they will rotate, but there’s a difference between rotating during play and using it as a base position. I’d rather we focused on someone more comfortable on the right. James can then come on during games on the left, or start smaller games on the left to give Rashford a rest.

If he is good as a 10 that’s fine, but I wouldn’t be looking for him to go into the front 3.

Beaucoup

Maybe cause Southgate is clueless?
Which is clearly not the case, I just think he doesn’t fancy him, there must be a reason, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere Southgate had Grealish in the 21’s. Tomori, Mount & Abraham’s have all come into England off the back of a Championship season, so I’m not sure that can be used as an excuse,

Gerald G

Which is clearly not the case, I just think he doesn’t fancy him, there must be a reason, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere Southgate had Grealish in the 21’s. Tomori, Mount & Abraham’s have all come into England off the back of a Championship season, so I’m not sure that can be used as an excuse,
Well Southgate also plays Mount ahead of Maddison :confused:

mav_9me

People make mistakes all the time. Southgate is hardly a renowned manager who should get the benefit of doubt.

Walters_19_MuFc

Maybe because Ross Barkley has been fantastic for England when he's played. Having said that, he's in danger of losing his place, simply because he's not playing for Chelsea.

Walters_19_MuFc

Doesn't make a lot of sense, no way can you have Maddison and Grealish in the same midfield - too similar. So, erm, what odds Maddison leavin then?
Grealish has spent quite a bit of time on the left midfield this season. Leicester could easily have,

Vardy
Grealish Maddison Tielemanns Perez
N'didi

Scholsey2004

For what it's worth I think the only reason for grealish moving from cam to left wing is the change of tactics going from the top championship team to one of the lower prem sides. In the championship they'd have had a lot more of the ball and would have needed a player to break defensive teams down. In the prem they'll be having much less of the ball and relying on the counter to create far more which heavily favours wingers.

arthurka

I would love to sign Buendia but we are clueless and Liverpool are going to sign him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For what it's worth I think the only reason for grealish moving from cam to left wing is the change of tactics going from the top championship team to one of the lower prem sides. In the championship they'd have had a lot more of the ball and would have needed a player to break defensive teams down. In the prem they'll be having much less of the ball and relying on the counter to create far more which heavily favours wingers.
The main reason is because they got no quality winger. While McGinn can still play in CAM role.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They had both those players last season when grealish mainly played cam.
Not really, last season and start of this season they played 433. Grealish played more in playmaker role and tends to drop deeper to get the ball with McGinn received more freedom to go into the box to score goals. I didn’t watch every single Aston Villa games but I still watched good number of their games both last season and early this season, and based on that, that’s what I saw.

NoPace

I didn't know any stat about Maddison but a quick google search reveals the following: (these are premier league stats apparently from squawka)
1. Kevin DeBruyne 71 chances created (1562 minutes)
2. Emiliano Buendia: 57 chances created (1504 minutes)
3. TAA: 57 chances created (1663 minutes)
4. Jack Grealish: 49 chances created (1614 minutes)
5. James Maddison: 46 chances created (1606 minutes)
6. Pascal Gross: 45 chances created (1244 minutes)
7.Lucas Digne: 45 chances created (1620 minutes)
8. João Moutinho: 44 chances created (1710 minutes)
9.Gylfi Sigurdsson: 35 chances (1419 minutes)
10. Gerard Deulofeu: 35 chances (1469 minutes)

link: https://www.squawka.com/en/news/most-chances-created-premier-league-2019-2020

I don't particularly follow Leicester nor Aston Villa, but given the hype on the two players I try to watch what would be "tough games" for both teams, and I wasn't excited as you say about either, cleverness does come through sometimes but technique or inspiration: not really.

Maybe if I was caught impressed watching them play against a low block (with some indication of consistency) I'd be more forthcoming, but I maybe don't watch enough games, given I am picky about watching opposition teams.
It's really annoying to think we'd have 5-10 more points if we'd panicked last minute and done a swap like Rojo for Gross (Brighton play 3 at the back now a lot) or sold him to Everton and gave Norwich the money for Buendia or Watford for Deulofeu (and we'd just play 4-4-2 up tempo like we did in the pre-season).

Also that Robert Skov fella who banged in a million goals in Denmark from outside the box seems to be doing well as a LWB and occasional RW at Hoffenheim and that means he'd have been a very useful buy for 12M, as we could certainly use help at those positions.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's really annoying to think we'd have 5-10 more points if we'd panicked last minute and done a swap like Rojo for Gross (Brighton play 3 at the back now a lot) or sold him to Everton and gave Norwich the money for Buendia or Watford for Deulofeu (and we'd just play 4-4-2 up tempo like we did in the pre-season).
There's no chance we would have swapped Gross for Rojo. Yes we often play with 3 at the back, but we already have Dunk and Duffy, Burn returned from loan, we bought Webster and Clarke and had so many central defenders we were happy to loan Clarke out. Also don't forget Ben White, who's on loan at Leeds and having a fantastic season. Rojo wouldn't make our first team. You'll have to do a lot better than a Rojo swap if you want Gross!

Ranchero

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-villa-future-manchester-united-a9269106.html

Haven’t seen this mentioned here, sorry if I missed it, but this article says Dean Smith insists Grealish is not for sale in January.

Don’t know how reliable this journalist is, but I hope he’s shite, as I would really like us to go for Grealish this transfer window.
You can hear Smith saying it out of his own mouth. If we got him we would have to pay stupid money.

Most teams plan things in advance though. We seem lurch from one target to the next without any pre-planning.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we are trying to sign Grealish and Maddison in January it further shows how badly ran we are. Not a chance in hell either club would sell those players given the post they are both in. Leicester in with a real chance of finishing 2nd. Nobody would have given them a prayer of doing that in August. And Villa are battling relegation. Selling their best player mid season isn't exactly going to help them.

In summer it's a different ball game obviously. If those are the types of players we want then we need to look at a cheeky loan deal or two this window just to provide us with another few options. Vidal has been mentioned at Barca as he's not playing much. Must be others we could take from around Europe on loan who have slipped down the pecking order. We can't continue with the midfield options we have or we will eventually run out of choices. More injuries are coming with the amount of games we have.

theklr

If we are trying to sign Grealish and Maddison in January it further shows how badly ran we are.
What is the problem of trying to sign someone? I would prefer that over just giving up until the summer window.
Not to mention alot of groundwork can be done so summer signing can be easier/quicker.

Le Red

You people just love to kiss manager asses.
Is that the best argument you can come up with? "Manager X doesn't like him so he must be shit?"
Managers feck up all the time. They have favorites and agendas, this is why he calls Ross Barkley who hasn't done 10% of what Grealish did in the last couple of years.
Think with your own head.

Drz

Also that Robert Skov fella who banged in a million goals in Denmark from outside the box seems to be doing well as a LWB and occasional RW at Hoffenheim and that means he'd have been a very useful buy for 12M, as we could certainly use help at those positions.
Well if you forgo "popular names" and actually do the homework we can make signings like you suggest. But I don't think it will sit well with our "glory" oriented fanbase.
Generally though I'm not too bothered with teams signing other good players, I wish we could identify and recruit the "exceptional" ones.
Staying on track, I wonder how many on here actually assess Grealish to be an "exceptional" talent and how many think he is simply an improvement on what we have for the position (arguably that is not saying much)?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What is the problem of trying to sign someone? I would prefer that over just giving up until the summer window.
Not to mention alot of groundwork can be done so summer signing can be easier/quicker.
Zero chance of getting either in January as the rest of my post explained. Absolutely ZERO.

Drz

You people just love to kiss manager asses.
Is that the best argument you can come up with? "Manager X doesn't like him so he must be shit?"
Managers feck up all the time. They have favorites and agendas, this is why he calls Ross Barkley who hasn't done 10% of what Grealish did in the last couple of years.
Think with your own head.
I think a lot comes from not actually forming your own opinions, it is the easy and dare I say the cowardly way out to pass someone else's judgment as your own.

Imagine all the negative-nellies that wrote-off De Bruyne and Salah because Mou wanted none of that...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The one thing I'd give to Grealish over Maddison is that he won't shy away from a scrap, or go shy-away when it gets a bit rough.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Barkley offers something different to Maddison and Mount as a really direct and energetic dribbler. Grealish is maybe too similar to Maddison. It's probably more him working out who fits into his England tea rather than a reflection of Grealish as a footballer.

ostentatious

Why not? He's better than both Andreas and Jesse and can actually play a decent pass.
Your initial post was:
"Stick Fred in a number 10 role and sign two proper center midfielders."

Why not buy a proper CM and a proper #10 for the #10 role instead? That way, Fred, gets to play where he is comfortable, and nobody needs to play out of position.

Zed 101

Drinkwater to Villa + Lingard on his way out = Grealish to United?
Would that it were the case but if so either Chelsea are oblivious to this as an outcome or on board with it, cannot see either being the case TBH

I would offer a decent sum and players on loan with us paying the wage, but unless Villa have resigned themselves to going down I cannot see that they would be willing to sell Grealish and I cannot see Grealish as being on board with being sold, he is a staunch type of footballer, a rare type that has loyalty to a club over his bank balance

MrVolley

Potential world class
Just needs to play in a top team.
I suspect City will sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.