Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's not my conclusion. It's the authors' conclusion.
So you honestly believe that study has concluded of all UK males 19/24 50% have definitely broken lockdown regulations?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Show me where it says that. I’ll happily wait. Show me where these professors and doctors have made the conclusion based on their tiny sample that they can confidently say half of 19-24yo males have broken out of the whole UK population.

You’re being a WUM now.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yes, please. Where have you seen anything relating to feelings?
I was trying to help you see what a correct analysis would look like. If you were to make the suggestion that based on the behaviour of those studies you could see why Grealish as a male in that bracket felt he could break lockdown that would be fine but you didn’t.

You said half of the UK.

The study also extensively covers feelings of respondents:

Page 5 - Respondants feelings of anxiety enjoyment, worry etc

Page 12 - Feelings based on gender and age

Page 15 - Feelings based on perceived risk of respondents

etc

Dante

Average bang
I was trying to help you see what a correct analysis would look like. If you were to make the suggestion that based on the behaviour of those studies you could see why Grealish as a male in that bracket felt he could break lockdown that would be fine but you didn’t.

You said half of the UK.

The study also extensively covers feelings of respondents:

Page 5 - Respondants feelings of anxiety enjoyment, worry etc

Page 12 - Feelings based on gender and age

Page 15 - Feelings based on perceived risk of respondents

etc
The study presents the findings of reported behaviour. You're misreading what it says.

The highlighted areas above don't talk about the respondents feeling they could break lockdown. They talk about the respondent actually doing it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The study presents the findings of reported behaviour. You're misreading what it says.

The highlighted areas above don't talk about the respondents feeling they could break lockdown. They talk about the respondent actually doing it.
Yes and I’m saying a correct or reasonable extrapolation could be that as Grealish is in that age range and broke lockdown he would have potentially felt similarly to those in the study.

Those highlighted areas also don’t say that “we conclude half of all UK males aged 19-24 have broken lockdown regulations”

Dante

Average bang
Yes and I’m saying a correct or reasonable extrapolation could be that as Grealish is in that age range and broke lockdown he would have potentially felt similarly to those in the study.

Those highlighted areas also don’t say that “we conclude half of all UK males aged 19-24 have broken lockdown regulations”
Take a step back.

A scientifically conducted survey tells you that 50% of its male respondents 19-24 in the UK have reported breaking lockdown. The only conclusion you can draw from that is that maybe 50% of males 19-24 in the UK have broken lockdown. How confident you can be in that number is dependent on the sample size. The CIs on the other graphs show that the sample size isn't tiny. So at worst, the results are only somewhat indicative of behaviour across the country. At best, they're totally accurate.

The conclusion you cannot then pivot towards is to claim that males 19-24 in the UK feel they can break lockdown. Those are totally different things, and totally different questions on a survey.

The question was "Have you met up with friends or extended family that you do not live with?" not "Do you feel you can break lockdown?".

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Trying to bring the thread back on topic....
I don't think we put much effort into signing him this summer. Pogba is staying and we have Bruno, and Grealish isn't on the same level as either. He has excellent ball carrying ability but his creativity/passing/shooting/intelligence on the field and effectiveness isn't on the same level as the other 2. If Pogba ends up leaving after next season, then yeah. But I think he stays which means Grealish is off the radar.

Irrational.

I can't see where he'd fit in if Pogba stays. He'll probably end up somewhere like Chelsea who are on a massive dick-swinging spree.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Take a step back.

A scientifically conducted study tells you that 50% of its male respondents 19-24 in the UK have reported breaking lockdown. The only conclusion you can draw from that is that maybe 50% of males 19-24 in the UK have broken lockdown. How confident you can be in that number is dependent on the sample size. The CIs on the other graphs show that the sample size isn't tiny. So at worst, the results are somewhat indicative of behaviour across the country. At best, they're totally accurate.

The conclusion you cannot then pivot towards is to claim that males 19-24 in the UK feel they can break lockdown. Those are totally different things, and totally different questions on a survey.

The question was "Have you met up with friends or extended family that you do not live with?" not "Do you feel you can break lockdown?".
We’re going to end up disagreeing here again.

The study only fully supports the findings it published. Your claim was not supported by the study. It is a tiny study. The confidence intervals are not in reference to 2000 people who are all male and 19-24 to suggest they are significant enough to draw the conclusion you initially made is simply a lie. No respectable statistician would make that claim and at no point is it claimed in this study that you can confidently make that assertion.

This is one of few areas where I can claim to be very well versed in correct practice. It is absolutely not the case that you can say the study at worst is somewhat indicative and at best totally accurate. You are inflating the importance of the survey beyond what any of the actual researchers were suggesting. Far more research would have to be done to have any real confidence in that assertion. I don’t know what your background is in terms of research but surely you understand why 100 people or there abouts even in the best stratified sample cannot and will not ever be completely indicative of the true population there are limitless factors.

The bit I’ve bolded in red was not your initial Statement. Your initial statement did not allow for uncertainty you simply stated half of the UK males his age had done it. You know this is not true and the study does not prove this.

If you look at the reportings on page 15/16 it discusses those feelings however if you do not accept my position then it makes your own position equally untenable

You’re entitled to disagree with me but I’m actually trying to help you support your point about Grealish.

Your initial statement needed far more qualifying than what you said.

Had you said :

“The study of a small number of similarly aged UK males showed a significant proportion of those disobeying regulations” and then said so Grealish is potentially doing what more people his age have done I wouldn’t pick you up on it the way I have this.

crossy1686

career ending
I can't see where he'd fit in if Pogba stays. He'll probably end up somewhere like Chelsea who are on a massive dick-swinging spree.
I think quite a few of our transfers were dependant on Pogba leaving this summer but he's staying now.

Heard yesterday that Solskjaer met Werner in Berlin to let him know United were interested but said it would depend on Pogba being sold in the summer.

Silas

I think quite a few of our transfers were dependant on Pogba leaving this summer but he's staying now.

Heard yesterday that Solskjaer met Werner in Berlin to let him know United were interested but said it would depend on Pogba being sold in the summer.
From where? Just sounds like bollocks sorry.

Silas

The Athletic reported it in their coverage of the Werner to Chelsea twist.
The Athletic on a podcast. They reported all the inside details on the transfer. I don't know why more people don't listen to them/follow their coverage. They are very, very reliable.
Thank you both. Would've thought Pogba only has an influence on midfield signings.

Guess that means we truly may be strapped for cash going into this window.

croadyman

Thank you both. Would've thought Pogba only has an influence on midfield signings.

Yeah it certainly looks that way and can only see us making one signing this summer

crossy1686

career ending

I think we've set aside money for Sancho, we've apparently got £120m in cash reserves to spend in the market but we don't want to blow all that in one go as it leaves us in a tight spot. Obviously we don't pay fees upfront but had to in order to land Maguire and we don't want a repeat of that. Sancho for example would be an installment then future installments over a few years.

I think the sale of Pogba would allow us more flexibility in the market, fee wise and salary-wise which his sale is dependant on us going for other targets, perhaps Grealish and Warner would have been deals we would have pursued if we offloaded him? Who knows, we're stuck now though so he better get his arse in gear.

tjb

Every club is. Plus prices don't seem to have dropped like we expected. So, Sancho or Grealish for the right flank and that may be enough really. Having Dan James, Greenwood and Mata as depth in attack is really good to have. We would also have Matic and Fred covering midfield, with Williams, Bailly, Lindelof and Jones ( hopefully Tuanzebe takes his chance) defence. For now that is a solid bench unit. The problem we have had over the course of the season has been our lack of quality in attack and injuries in midfield. Signing either Sancho or Grealish would mean that we would have fixed this ( as one of the two and bruno can add to Rashford and Martial. Because we did not have either Pogba or Bruno for most of the season, we had to survive with Pereira Lingard and Mata getting ample playing time. Dan James has been good, but neither he nor Greenwood should be starters yet. We have a starting quality now. Eventually, in order to be competitive with the top european teams we may need to add a bit more quality in depth ( one or two starting quality who fill in with their verstality)

crossy1686

career ending
Every club is. Plus prices don't seem to have dropped like we expected. So, Sancho or Grealish for the right flank and that may be enough really. Having Dan James, Greenwood and Mata as depth in attack is really good to have. We would also have Matic and Fred covering midfield, with Williams, Bailly, Lindelof and Jones ( hopefully Tuanzebe takes his chance) defence. For now that is a solid bench unit. The problem we have had over the course of the season has been our lack of quality in attack and injuries in midfield. Signing either Sancho or Grealish would mean that we would have fixed this ( as one of the two and bruno can add to Rashford and Martial. Because we did not have either Pogba or Bruno for most of the season, we had to survive with Pereira Lingard and Mata getting ample playing time. Dan James has been good, but neither he nor Greenwood should be starters yet. We have a starting quality now. Eventually, in order to be competitive with the top european teams we may need to add a bit more quality in depth ( one or two starting quality who fill in with their verstality)
The prices will drop once clubs realise they need the money to survive and no one's paying what they want. End of the transfer window should be very interesting.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

RUCK4444

Neil Moxley is one of the most reliable journos when it comes to the Birmingham clubs. He's reporting that we have started to conduct a detailed due dilligence process and have not been put off by the players well documented lockdown issues and will press ahead with signing him regardless of Villa going down/staying up. £80m is the price he's reporting..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jack-grealish-forces-way-ahead-22150518
Would be feckin criminal for us to pay £80mill on Grealish.

I don’t believe that figure for a minute and I’d be furious if that was what we paid - and usually I couldn’t give a shite about fees.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would be feckin criminal for us to pay £80mill on Grealish.

I don’t believe that figure for a minute and I’d be furious if that was what we paid - and usually I couldn’t give a shite about fees.
I think we'll get him for less. That's a figure Villa have likely passed on to Moxley.

RUCK4444

I think we'll get him for less. That's a figure Villa have likely passed on to Moxley.
Let’s hope so. Thing is, if that figure was passed on why doesn’t the journalist drop that from the article because ultimately it makes the whole piece less believable.

Then again big numbers create talking points and clicks probably. Sigh

Garry Buck

Don’t mind us getting Grealish but I hope Ole doesn’t play him on the right!

It would be a waste of his talent.

SweetRightFoot

80mil now or 40mil when they get relegated.

If we're in for Donny Van Der Beek though then we can call this one off I think.

SpyLuke10

80mil now or 40mil when they get relegated.

If we're in for Donny Van Der Beek though then we can call this one off I think.
I'd actually prefer Grealish, better stats in a worse team, and in the premier league as well. However, I would want him for 40M pounds, not 80M. I'm just saying, if I had to choose between the two for the same price, I'd pick Grealish. If Villa demand more than 50M for Grealish then we should target Van De Beek.

Bondi77

Neil Moxley is one of the most reliable journos when it comes to the Birmingham clubs. He's reporting that we have started to conduct a detailed due dilligence process and have not been put off by the players well documented lockdown issues and will press ahead with signing him regardless of Villa going down/staying up. £80m is the price he's reporting..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jack-grealish-forces-way-ahead-22150518
What has he said about Jude then?

croadyman

Don’t mind us getting Grealish but I hope Ole doesn’t play him on the right!

It would be a waste of his talent.
Yeah I really don't like the sound of this Grealish over Sancho stuff which Moxley is reporting and he is reliable for midlands clubs too.

tjb

Yeah I really don't like the sound of this Grealish over Sancho stuff which Moxley is reporting and he is reliable for midlands clubs too.
I know how good Sancho is and would love to have him here but I actually believe we need an attacker who is involved in the build up play for us, someone who can build from our own half at times and create. If we can have Grealish, Bruno and Pogba doing this for us, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood would have the endless supply line that City and Liverpool have. Somewhat like a lopsided 442/4132 with Grealish coming moving inside whilst we have possession, but defending on the right, similar to what Mata provides, but with more pace, more attempted dribbles, more created chances and far more activity.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have seen it in a few places that he has a clause.
But how the feck is he a substitute for Sancho.

Bondi77

I've posted the details in the relevant thread.
No worries,
Just read it and he has stated that his father prefers Dortmund and the link in the thread says that we will not pay 100mil for Sancho and Grealish is our number one target.
I will keep a watchful eye on the situation to see if this journo is on the money.

georgipep

The Athletic on a podcast. They reported all the inside details on the transfer. I don't know why more people don't listen to them/follow their coverage. They are very, very reliable.
I like their work a lot but am not the biggest fan of Laurie Whitwell who covers Man Utd. He has obvious preconceived biases and opinions on a lot of topics and that makes for subpar journalism, in my opinion.

crossy1686

career ending
I like their work a lot but am not the biggest fan of Laurie Whitwell who covers Man Utd. He has obvious preconceived biases and opinions on a lot of topics and that makes for subpar journalism, in my opinion.
Like what?

He covers United but so do Carl Anka and Andy Mitten who are also regulars.

Garry Buck

Not looking that promising on transfers for the summer to be honest.

Sancho will stay at Dortmund for at least another year.

Bellingham prefers Dortmund over us.

It’s clear to me that the report in the Mirror about Grealish now being our number 1 target is accurate.

Where will he play though? He is best as a 10 or on the left and those positions are taken by Rashford and Bruno.

If we get him and play him on the right, I will be furious.

georgipep

Like what?

He covers United but so do Carl Anka and Andy Mitten who are also regulars.
Assessments of performance both of players and Solskjaer as manager, mostly. I may have my own biases but find it rather unacceptable from a professional journalist, even more so in a pay wall media like The Athletic.

There were several occasions where Laurie would flatly put blame on the manager but in similar context refuse to acknowledge achievement. I get that he might be uncertain if he fits the bill but when reading his pieces, I'm usually left with the impression he wanted (maybe still does) him gone and Pochettino appointed.

Especially obvious in the Q&A posts and post-match discussions.

Can't comment much on the other two as they mostly participate in the podcast and rarely with written pieces and I don't listen to the podcast regularly.

I'm curious what do you think and have you picked up any biases or preconceived opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.