Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Villa, by all accounts, are in massive financial trouble if they go down. They invested millions last summer and have players on very high wages.

I think relegation would mean £40m would be a very likely figure, personally.
Good luck on that. I've never heard any Premier league team that generous when selling their best players, especially to us. Let's hope Villa would be the first one.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Good luck on that. I've never heard any Premier league team that generous when selling their best players, especially to us. Let's hope Villa would be the first one.
They won’t be a premier league team though, that is my point. Only one Championship team has ever sold a player above £30m, that was Sissoko going to Tottenham for £31m. There is no way we would have to pay over £40m for Grealish Should Villa go down.

fps

They won’t be a premier league team though, that is my point. Only one Championship team has ever sold a player above £30m, that was Sissoko going to Tottenham for £31m. There is no way we would have to pay over £40m for Grealish Should Villa go down.
The only way it could go higher is if there was a bidding war. I wonder which other team/s would be in for him. Spurs could use a player who has both silk and steel in their midfield.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If we pay 40m granted it will be worth it but it's quite annoying how we're always breaking transfer records

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
How do you know for sure they won't be? They are only 2 points off the last 5 and they have a game in hand. Its not like they far behind the pack and no chance to play in relegation battle. Besides, even if they relegate, it doesn't mean they will sell all their players cheaply. They may sell their best players though.
For example, Maddison is quoted at 80m, and Grealish is just as good in every ways. Maybe 60m is already cheap price for Grealish in comparison.

Davìd Moyéz

Grealish is the kind of player Everton buy isn't he. Too good for relegation fodder, never going to win a premier league.

Hope we save our money.

gajender

Grealish is the kind of player Everton buy isn't he. Too good for relegation fodder, never going to win a premier league.

Hope we save our money.
On the contrary he is a kind of player who looks ready for the step up and any team in top 4 should be more than happy to have him.

Deery

Dreary

Hope we save our money.
Like Gylfi Sigurdsonn for £50m. I think Grealish is better than Gylfi and could step up to a top 4 team, but I do see him as a very good squad player something that’s needed in today’s game.
I don’t think he’s better than Bruno, Pogba or Fred.

romufc

So someone just pulled the £80m figure out their ass. Got it.
If Villa quote a sum of that much.. there is no point negotiating, you give them a £40m offer and if they are not willing to negotiate you walk away. Surely, we cannot be paying these sums.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
How do you know for sure they won't be? They are only 2 points off the last 5 and they have a game in hand. Its not like they far behind the pack and no chance to play in relegation battle. Besides, even if they relegate, it doesn't mean they will sell all their players cheaply. They may sell their best players though.
For example, Maddison is quoted at 80m, and Grealish is just as good in every ways. Maybe 60m is already cheap price for Grealish in comparison.
Sorry I think I did word it wrong - I simply meant that in the hypothetical scenario of my original post where Villa go down, the argument of the being a Premier League club wasn’t applicable :)

I completely agree that them going down is far from certain right now!

Davìd Moyéz

fecking what? Have you watched much of him then?

Good enough for the top 4 for sure. The player you're thinking of is Gerrard.
You reckon Grealish is a better player than Gerrard?!

Nearly 25 by the time the new season rolls around, 8 premier league goals, bit of a knob. I don't see it.

crossy1686

career ending
You reckon Grealish is a better player than Gerrard?!

Nearly 25 by the time the new season rolls around, 8 premier league goals, bit of a knob. I don't see it.
All the best players are.

Gerrard fit your example. Grealish could easily play for a top 4 side, he carries Villa most weekends. They'd be down already without him.

Deery

Dreary
So someone literally made that fee up or we presume that Villa have briefed that's what they want for him. I'm happy to put my neck on the line and say he'll move for well under £80m, more like £50m.
Maybe the fact that he isn’t an England international will help too with the bargaining side of things, but wouldn’t be surprised if Villa look a kings ransom for him as they’ll need him to stay in or even get back in the premier league.
Think he needs to hand in a transfer request to force a move, could be a long one this..

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe the fact that he isn’t an England international will help too with the bargaining side of things, but wouldn’t be surprised if Villa look a kings ransom for him as they’ll need him to stay in or even get back in the premier league.
Think he needs to hand in a transfer request to force a move, could be a long one this..
I think him being an England regular would benefit us. No one who plays regularly for England plays for a bottom 5 side or a Championship side for that matter. If he gets in the first team he'll be told he needs to play at a higher level week in, week out in order to maintain his place in the squad.

Listened to a Villa podcast the other week and they said he'd outgrown their squad anyway and he should move to a bigger team this summer.

Davìd Moyéz

All the best players are.

Gerrard fit your example. Grealish could easily play for a top 4 side, he carries Villa most weekends. They'd be down already without him.
Maybe I'm prejudiced against him because of his shocking barnet. I don't think he improves our first choice starting 11 and it's a lot of money to spend to improve squad depth.

Davìd Moyéz

Like Gylfi Sigurdsonn for £50m. I think Grealish is better than Gylfi and could step up to a top 4 team, but I do see him as a very good squad player something that’s needed in today’s game.
I don’t think he’s better than Bruno, Pogba or Fred.
Gylfi has had a poor season and they're very different players but I'd say it's a fair comparison. If you look at the majority of Gylfi's career he's been a very good player at this level but not a top one.

Deery

Dreary
Maybe I'm prejudiced against him because of his shocking barnet. I don't think he improves our first choice starting 11 and it's a lot of money to spend to improve squad depth.
Is it though City spent £67m on Mahrez and Liverpool £65m on Keita, Chelsea £68m on Pulisic, you need quality on the bench nowadays especially with the 5 sub rule coming in.

Last edited:

tjb

Some people only want players who are at big clubs where they can see them shine in a good system. That's how you get your kagawa's and mhiki's. It's the reason people didnt want Salah or Mane.

Davìd Moyéz

Is it though City spent £67m on Marhez and Liverpool £65m on Keita, Chelsea £68m on Pulisic, you need quality on the bench nowadays especially with the 5 sub rule coming in.
Do you think any of those were purchased with the thought in mind that they weren't going to be first choice starting 11?

Deery

Dreary
Do you think any of those were purchased with the thought in mind that they weren't going to be first choice starting 11?
I think Mahrez was, the other two maybe not, but they’re still squad players now and that’s the type of quality you need on a bench nowadays.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Keita definitely was, they were raving about him but he's just been naff.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Is it though City spent £67m on Mahrez and Liverpool £65m on Keita, Chelsea £68m on Pulisic, you need quality on the bench nowadays especially with the 5 sub rule coming in.
£80m for Grealish is an absolute joke of a fee. You don’t spend that much on a squad player who wouldn’t improve your first XI.

It’s a made up fee anyway but if we paid that I’d be incredibly annoyed at how wasteful we would have been.
Absolutely not.

Deery

Dreary
£80m for Grealish is an absolute joke of a fee. You don’t spend that much on a squad player who wouldn’t improve your first XI.

It’s a made up fee anyway but if we paid that I’d be incredibly annoyed at how wasteful we would have been.

Absolutely not.
I wasn’t talking about £80m I meant above £50m..

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I wasn’t talking about £80m I meant above £50m..
If Bruno was £47m base fee that for me should be the biggest guide. Is Grealish going to make a bigger impact. I’d say confidently no. So is he worth £50m plus to our team? I’d also say no.

Deery

Dreary
If Bruno was £47m base fee that for me should be the biggest guide. Is Grealish going to make a bigger impact. I’d say confidently no. So is he worth £50m plus to our team? I’d also say no.
I was just quoting a price one of the other guys said because I kind butted in a conversation, but originally I said £45m would be a fair price although from what am hearing Villa will be looking much more.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I was just quoting a price one of the other guys said because I kind butted in a conversation, but originally I said £45m would be a fair price although from what am hearing Villa will be looking much more.
I wasn’t having a go at you so apologies if it came across that way.

I honestly think that’s about the upper limit of what he’s worth. Realistically the same level of player from abroad would cost £35m.

I really think people are getting carried away thinking £60m etc for him. With Pogba we have no current urgent need for a £50m plus bench warmer. I also think Grealish now is as good as he’ll be I don’t see him progressing up a level as I think if he was serious he’d have left Villa earlier.

He really loves the club but I also think he loves being a cult hero and being the big man on a small stage and I really can’t see us making a move for him.

Deery

Dreary
I wasn’t having a go at you so apologies if it came across that way.

I honestly think that’s about the upper limit of what he’s worth. Realistically the same level of player from abroad would cost £35m.

I really think people are getting carried away thinking £60m etc for him. With Pogba we have no current urgent need for a £50m plus bench warmer. I also think Grealish now is as good as he’ll be I don’t see him progressing up a level as I think if he was serious he’d have left Villa earlier.

He really loves the club but I also think he loves being a cult hero and being the big man on a small stage and I really can’t see us making a move for him.
No worries, I think he would be a good upgrade on Lingard and Pereria but am not dying for him to sign either.
I’d be more worried about where exactly he’d play could see him being pushed out to the right to accommodate him in the team, then that leads you to thinking why not just sign a right winger instead.

Sancho seems to tick so many boxes it takes away from other options also.

Status
Not open for further replies.