Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Assessments of performance both of players and Solskjaer as manager, mostly. I may have my own biases but find it rather unacceptable from a professional journalist, even more so in a pay wall media like The Athletic.

There were several occasions where Laurie would flatly put blame on the manager but in similar context refuse to acknowledge achievement. I get that he might be uncertain if he fits the bill but when reading his pieces, I'm usually left with the impression he wanted (maybe still does) him gone and Pochettino appointed.

Especially obvious in the Q&A posts and post-match discussions.

Can't comment much on the other two as they mostly participate in the podcast and rarely with written pieces and I don't listen to the podcast regularly.

I'm curious what do you think and have you picked up any biases or preconceived opinions?
I haven't read the articles in a while to be honest, I unsubscribed a few months back because there wasn't enough United content to justify a subscription so I can't really comment on what Laurie has written in recent articles.

However the podcasts are definitely worth a listen, Laurie's opinion is always pretty good on there, I've only ever heard him credit Solskjaer for the work he's done and I haven't detected any sort of bias but I'll listen for it from now on. He does often mention the 'dark days' of playing and losing to Burnley though?

crossy1686

career ending
I think we'll get him for less. That's a figure Villa have likely passed on to Moxley.
Clubs who are looking to sell always do this.

Selling club: "We won't accept a penny under £100m!"

Buying club: "£80m!? What do you want £50m for!?"

Selling club: "You've got yourself a deal! We'd have taken £30m really, glad we drove a hard bargain"

-Supreme-

Looking very likely that Pogba will leave this summer with strong reports linking us with both Grealish and Donny van de Beek

James Peril

Looking very likely that Pogba will leave this summer with strong reports linking us with both Grealish and Donny van de Beek
One link in a dodgy newspaper about a third level midfielder from Ajax and Pogba is «very likely» to leave? No wonder why these newspapers and silly journalists continue to make a living. Reminds me of this friend I have. Reads «Ronaldo to United», «Messi to City» via Donbalon and calls up like it’s verified by the clubs themselves.

cyberman

What strong reports has us linked with Jack? Wouldnt the links with Donny kill the Grealish story? Pogba doesn't even play in the same position if he is dropping deep (which he will due to Bruno)

crossy1686

career ending
One link in a dodgy newspaper about a third level midfielder from Ajax and Pogba is «very likely» to leave? No wonder why these newspapers and silly journalists continue to make a living. Reminds me of this friend I have. Reads «Ronaldo to United», «Messi to City» via Donbalon and calls up like it’s verified by the clubs themselves.
It was reported by a tier 1 source on all things Dutch. He called Ziyech To Chelsea and a couple others before anyone else did. I don’t think VDB would be a replacement for Pogba, it think he’ll stay next season and leave in the summer of 2021. VDB is more likely a replacement for Matic who has only got a season playing part time left in him.

TheReligion

Abusive
It was reported by a tier 1 source on all things Dutch. He called Ziyech To Chelsea and a couple others before anyone else did. I don’t think VDB would be a replacement for Pogba, it think he’ll stay next season and leave in the summer of 2021. VDB is more likely a replacement for Matic who has only got a season playing part time left in him.
Do you really think that club will let this happen with Pogba?

I think they will want clarity on the situation this summer as we can all do without another season of speculation.

crossy1686

career ending
Do you really think that club will let this happen with Pogba?

I think they will want clarity on the situation this summer as we can all do without another season of speculation.
I think United won’t budge on their evaluation of Pogba and everyone is crying poverty right now. I think he’ll stay one more season, slowly get phased out over the course of a year with someone like Grealish so the club can say “we don’t even need him”. He’ll only have a year left on his contract next summer so will go for a lower value anyway. If we sold him for £40m this year there would be uproar.

He’s also not played this year so he’s hardly been in the shop window.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we sold Pogba to finance Sancho n DVB we have to be happy with that. I mean we all know Pogba can be world class on his day but his day doesn't come around too often and if he wants away then he's got to go.

Maybe Juventus have found the cash. There are rumours of a few of their players being sold so they might have found the cash for Pogba.

Brightonian

If we sold Pogba to finance Sancho n DVB we have to be happy with that. I mean we all know Pogba can be world class on his day but his day doesn't come around too often and if he wants away then he's got to go.

Maybe Juventus have found the cash. There are rumours of a few of their players being sold so they might have found the cash for Pogba.
This is really the only scenario where I would accept us letting Pogba leave. Either Sancho and DvB or Sancho and Grealish.

Because you can't let Pogba leave and then buy two players each half as good as he is. You need to replace the 'star player' quality he has with someone like Sancho, otherwise Bruno's signing was one step forwards and then this would be one step back.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This is really the only scenario where I would accept us letting Pogba leave. Either Sancho and DvB or Sancho and Grealish.

Because you can't let Pogba leave and then buy two players each half as good as he is. You need to replace the 'star player' quality he has with someone like Sancho, otherwise Bruno's signing was one step forwards and then this would be one step back.
I actually think Sancho is better than Pogba already tbh. He has far more than 6 or 7 good games a season already. Scores more goals and makes more.

Pogba can be world class on his day but how often have we seen it? I'm happy for him to stay if he wants to and signs a new contract but I don't think he will or wants to. Sell him and move on if that's the case. Liverpool did with Suarez n Coutinho. Didn't hold them back.

croadyman

Yeah I would accept either of those with Sancho but it's starting to look like Grealish and VDB.

We may have to revisit Sancho next summer with Liverpool and co back at the table too.

kode

Can Grealish play on the right? this looks a strange alternative to Sancho. Unless we are looking to change our system again.IU would have thought these two deals are unrelated.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can Grealish play on the right? this looks a strange alternative to Sancho. Unless we are looking to change our system again.IU would have thought these two deals are unrelated.
Theyre completely unrelated. Grealish or VdB are only going to be looked at if Pogba leaves. Sancho we are targeting regardless of departures as we need a right winger, pretty straightforward. Some people assuming we have no money to spend because of corona and then jumping to conclusions, when pretty much everything is pointing to Pogba staying and having 2 years left on his contract, which means we won't go for Grealish.

DCP

Personally I’d rather have Grealish than any other signing, however not sure how he would fit in. Think he exactly the kind of player on the pitch that would add value to us.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Grealish is atleast Irish/English- it makes it likely that he wants to come here to United and compete for spots at CAM, CM and LM,LW.

I genuinely feel the if we get him that Lingard and Pereira have to go but also that Daniel James the LW has to be below Grealish for that position. Getting a right footed winger like Sancho for RW and James also being a right footed winger doesnt make sense to me & why I'd always thought the left footed david brooks made more sense for us in terms of squad balance.

Rolaholic

Seeing reports that he might be our main target with a 100m+ transfer for Sancho sounding unlikely this summer

Still have no idea where or how he would fit in our midfield when he excels in the areas of the pitch that Pogba and Bruno will play in..

The Original

Personally I’d rather have Grealish than any other signing, however not sure how he would fit in. Think he exactly the kind of player on the pitch that would add value to us.
I just can't see it with Grealish. There is not a single position he's comfortable in where he would be first or second choice for.

Red_toad

Would be a great addition. He’d instantly be an upgrade on Jesse, Mata and co. He’s very adaptable and a very skilled player. He's one of those players you make a place for in a team and should be given a fair bit of freedom.

Robertd0803

All this talk of midfielders gives me the impression we are hoping to replace Pogba a year in advance on the cheap.

Green_Red

I think United won’t budge on their evaluation of Pogba and everyone is crying poverty right now. I think he’ll stay one more season, slowly get phased out over the course of a year with someone like Grealish so the club can say “we don’t even need him”. He’ll only have a year left on his contract next summer so will go for a lower value anyway. If we sold him for £40m this year there would be uproar.

He’s also not played this year so he’s hardly been in the shop window.
Yea, either phased out or he will step up. Either way we need a player that can push him for his place in the team if he stays for another season. That will either bring out the best in him or he will go crying to his agent.

Mr Smith

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I would imagine the likes of Van De Beek and Grealish are players we have been in contact with for a while in the event Pogba does go. But I'm honestly feeling more and more like Pogba will stay; I don't see how that many clubs have the resources to buy him. Both Madrid and Juventus spent a lot of money last summer and COVID will have hit them hard.

All this talk of midfielders gives me the impression we are hoping to replace Pogba a year in advance on the cheap.
This is perhaps a little more likely.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I never think we could get Grealish for only around 40m, at least he would cost us around 60-70m minimum (Depends how much Villa would be asking for). I am not too sure if it’s our top priority getting him for that price just to play Lingard/Pereira role on the bench.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I never think we could get Grealish for only around 40m, at least he would cost us around 60-70m minimum (Depends how much Villa would be asking for). I am not too sure if it’s our top priority getting him for that price just to play Lingard/Pereira role on the bench.
Villa, by all accounts, are in massive financial trouble if they go down. They invested millions last summer and have players on very high wages.

I think relegation would mean £40m would be a very likely figure, personally.

spaceboyRSA

Villa, by all accounts, are in massive financial trouble if they go down. They invested millions last summer and have players on very high wages.

I think relegation would mean £40m would be a very likely figure, personally.
I think you mean FFP trouble? Their owners are rather loaded are they not...

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I think you mean FFP trouble? Their owners are rather loaded are they not...
Aye that’s what I meant - they will undoubtedly need to sell some players in the summer and he is the obvious one to go. No way would they stand in his way if they’re in the Championship.

Deery

Dreary
I like Grealish and wouldn’t mind him in the squad but £80m is far too much, something around £45m would be fair price.

Hawks2008

£80 for a guy who isn't better than players already at the club?

I dont mind paying a premium if its a position of real need but not for another attacking midfielder.

Rolaholic

We've got very different definitions of the word if 60-80m for Grealish or 50m for VDB is considered cheap...

Would much rather we take a look at a star in the making in Havertz if we're indeed looking to spend big money on a midfielder

cyberman

Why? We are Man Utd, we should be looking at quality players every summer. By the way some fans react we are only allowed a handful of players, and, if we look to build on them, its because our quota is full and a sale is on the cards

Status
Not open for further replies.