Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanderpants

Just saw a report that villa want at least 80m, if city or the dippers came calling you can guarantee the price would be slightly lower. Anything over 45m is way too much, hope we move on and target someone else IF he was a legit Ole target

crossy1686

career ending
Just saw a report that villa want at least 80m, if city or the dippers came calling you can guarantee the price would be slightly lower. Anything over 45m is way too much, hope we move on and target someone else IF he was a legit Ole target
Who's reporting that figure?

If Grealish leaves Villa it won't be for a penny over £50m, and that's at the very, very top end of an estimate.

Kostov

@BenitoSTARR Some great points, anyone saying Grealish isn't talented is trolling as clearly as a left sided forward or #10 he is a good player, but all of the "He can play CM" stuff is still a maybe, he's done it a bit but week in and week out at PL and CL level for where we want to go is another thing completely. Then there's the gymnastics to excuse his assholery, it's not like he's a kid doing the shit he did and people are currently all over Dele for his feckery but want to dip around this, and our own fans are constantly on Lingard for acting the prat, but he's never done anything endangering other people to my knowledge.
If he was as good as Grealish or half decent footballer, nobody would give as much feck about what he does off the field imo.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If Grealish is the identified successor to Pogba and he's available this summer, we're best off being overstocked for a year rather than panic buying some shite next summer because we didn't plan for Pogba's exit.
I really hope Grealish hasn’t been thought of as Pogba’s successor. In that scenario with our current squad I don’t see a good fit for him so here’s some options:

I think a DM is vital if we tried to accommodate Grealish into a midfiel so Matic would become first choice.

Matic
Fernandes Grealish

Matic
McTominay Grealish

Matic
Fred Grealish​

Id argue the first one is closest to what he’d be comfortable with but as you’re all aware Matic isn’t at his peak, a good player, but not someone I’d want to put so much pressure on to screen everytjijg

Our current ‘normal’ formation doesn’t really accommodate Grealish so I’m trying to show horn him which feels unnatural as he either takes Fernandes’ CAM role which I vehemently disagree with or you try to play him in the two which I think would be worse.
McTominay Fernandes
Grealish

McTominay Fred
Grealish

McTominay Grealish
Fernandes​

The first one again is potentially more realistic but even then it shifts Fernandes away from goal which would be absolutely criminal in my eyes.

So when people say he could be a Pogba replacement I disagree as I don’t see a really good fit for him in those line ups not without a better DM than Matic.

I do however think talent wise he’d be a fantastic alternative if his attitude was sorted out (which I don’t believe it will).

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If he was as good as Grealish or half decent footballer, nobody would give as much feck about what he does off the field imo.
I think that’s a terrible attitude to have and is part of the problem behind footballers having such a bad name.

Kostov

I think that’s a terrible attitude to have and is part of the problem behind footballers having such a bad name.
Drink driving is no joke and a serious problem, but since he is a good footballer most fans will forgive him, if the problems are bigger than what he offers it will end in a bad way, that is for sure.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
If we can't guaranteed him a starting XI, he won't come for any money. Also, I only want player who wants to be the best. I'd question his mentality if he agreed to come here just because we offer him the biggest wage.
He will receive enough playing time.
His signing will probably be a result of, or pre-requisite to 1/2 outgoings to offset his purchase. Could be for Lingard+Pereira or Pogba.
Even if we have a tough time moving on players, with the number of games we have, he will definitely be able to provide cover for multiple positions which will enhance his chances to play more minutes until we can trim our squad and in the meantime, he can also settle in. There is no need for him to be playing as regularly as he has at Villa from the get go with us.

As for your preference for players who only want to be the best. He definitely makes a solid argument in his favour. He played a key role in helping Villa get promoted. He's continued that form into the PL and he’s also their captain. Even his performances in the PL this season haven’t just been the best for Villa’s standards but he’s one of the best midfielders in the league.
As I also mentioned earlier in this thread, he’s been one of my best picks in fantasy from early on and still there in my team. :wenger:
He would easily improve our squad and keep players on their toes knowing he’s easily capable of taking their starting spot.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Me too, it only made sense for me without Pogba. Now if he is staying for at least another season, i don't see it. Funds should go to a DM if we buy a midfielder
Not if Matics successor is at the club already. I suspect thats Mctominay. But we have no Pogba successor if he's leaving and that's where Grealish/VdB come in

GledTheRed

Where would you play him if he’s the successor?
To Pogba? I think he can solve alot of headaches selection wise to be honest. Can play 8, 10 and wide left if we need to switch Rashford up top for any reason. He'd get plenty of game time he's a quality player. Like the other poster said if we know Pogba is gonna leave replace him now with Grealish instead of getting fleeced when he does eventually leave.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
To Pogba? I think he can solve alot of headaches selection wise to be honest. Can play 8, 10 and wide left if we need to switch Rashford up top for any reason. He'd get plenty of game time he's a quality player. Like the other poster said if we know Pogba is gonna leave replace him now with Grealish instead of getting fleeced when he does eventually leave.
So would you advocate a best starting midfield of:

Matic
Fernandes Grealish​

In my eyes I see replacement being occupying similar positions. Pogba is clearly a starting XI quality player and Grealish is a better creative player than Fred and McTominay so I can understand him taking that role even though I genuinely don’t believe he has consistently shown his quality as a LAM/LCM at PL level.

I do recognise that playing in Villa is a vastly different experience and the way he is targeted (most fouled player in the PL) would be suicide to do against a fully fit United as Rashford, Martial, Fernandes and (fingers crossed) Sancho would prevent similar doubling up but there still isn’t enough from him to prove it’s not a risk.

I agree LW he’s shown his quality but again not as well as Rashford so he loses that starting spot. He just looks like he’d be an excellent squad option (barring attitude).

GledTheRed

Matic
Fernandes Grealish​

In my eyes I see replacement being occupying similar positions. Pogba is clearly a starting XI quality player and Grealish is a better creative player than Fred and McTominay so I can understand him taking that role even though I genuinely don’t believe he has consistently shown his quality as a LAM/LCM at PL level.

I do recognise that playing in Villa is a vastly different experience and the way he is targeted (most fouled player in the PL) would be suicide to do against a fully fit United as Rashford, Martial, Fernandes and (fingers crossed) Sancho would prevent similar doubling up but there still isn’t enough from him to prove it’s not a risk.

I agree LW he’s shown his quality but again not as well as Rashford so he loses that starting spot. He just looks like he’d be an excellent squad option (barring attitude).
My midfield would have Pogba in it whilst he's around, I'm not sure on the strongest midfield line up at the minute as they were all bang in form pre lockdown. That's the beauty of having options, we can select as we sit fit depending on the opposition. There's gonna be a huge need for rotation over the next couple of years with hardly any break between seasons coupled with international tournaments in 21 and 22.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
My midfield would have Pogba in it whilst he's around, I'm not sure on the strongest midfield line up at the minute as they were all bang in form pre lockdown. That's the beauty of having options, we can select as we sit fit depending on the opposition. There's gonna be a huge need for rotation over the next couple of years with hardly any break between seasons coupled with international tournaments in 21 and 22.
Assuming Pogba leaves would you play Grealish in the position as a starter?

I understand your hesitation to answer and agree it’s great to have good options for rotation as most teams have a best XI with a Grealish level player to rotate in.

I think you can see my point though the fact Pogba would start over Grealish shows he wouldn’t walk into the first XI as there isn’t a place for him, so saying he’d be his replacement shows it’s a clear downgrade and can be a significant concern. I think it’s a big risk to ask a player used to freedom out wide to move centrally for a new team at the top level which he’s never done. He’s never consistently performed in the middle in the PL.

Devil may care

Yeah, football fans on a whole are hypocrites, I agree, but usually when you excuse a player bad behaviour it's because they are already at your club and producing, or their talent level is incredibly high, Grealish doesn't fit either bracket, he's just better than Lingard and Pereira.

Matic
Fernandes Grealish​

The thing is whether it's Pogba or Grealish in that role I think that midfield will get caught out pretty often with Matic as the holder, his lack of mobility, stamina and pace isn't suited to playing the Barca/Pep way, with two attacking #8's and one deep CM, that's why I think we need to address the base of midfield before doubling up in the creative department, otherwise we'll have another case of a house with a roof on it but no foundations to keep it from collapsing.

GledTheRed

Assuming Pogba leaves would you play Grealish in the position as a starter?

I understand your hesitation to answer and agree it’s great to have good options for rotation as most teams have a best XI with a Grealish level player to rotate in.

I think you can see my point though the fact Pogba would start over Grealish shows he wouldn’t walk into the first XI as there isn’t a place for him, so saying he’d be his replacement shows it’s a clear downgrade and can be a significant concern. I think it’s a big risk to ask a player used to freedom out wide to move centrally for a new team at the top level which he’s never done. He’s never consistently performed in the middle in the PL.

If Pogba leaves i'd 100% have no problem replacing him with Grealish, whilst he's still here though adding Grealish would be somewhat of a square peg for the time being but i'd still buy him as he's a super talent imo.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The thing is whether it's Pogba or Grealish in that role I think that midfield will get caught out pretty often with Matic as the holder, his lack of mobility, stamina and pace isn't suited to playing the Barca/Pep way, with two attacking #8's and one deep CM, that's why I think we need to address the base of midfield before doubling up in the creative department, otherwise we'll have another case of a house with a roof on it but no foundations to keep it from collapsing.
Well done for avoiding my trap! :lol:

I think you’re absolutely right. The only way I could advocate a Grealish starting XI role is in a midfield 3 system that has a superior DM. A reasonable example would be Leicester and City (United with Grealish included for easier comparison).

Matic
Fernandes Grealish

Ndidi
Maddison Tielemans

Rodri
Silva De Bruyne​

Now both systems have two creative players with a dedicated holder. City did better with Fernandiho holding but the point remains.

The Leicester set up has more energy and balance (hear me out) as that midfield 3 has Ndidi a pure defensive player, Tielemans who isn’t unfamiliar with a midfield 2 role and Maddison who is tireless.

City obviously have a unique approach, less energetic but effective due to the quality of the players in possession. Rodri is clearly the better ball player to Ndidi and Silva and De Bruyne have the edge too.

Now if we look at then United potential starting XI without Pogba one thing that sticks out to me is ball retention. I’d argue Fernandes, Grealish and Matic would keep the ball quite well. But Grealish isn’t as good creatively as Silva and De Bruyne and arguably Maddison and certainly doesn’t offer the defensive ability or long passing of Tielemans. Fernandes I think stands up well against them all.

At DM Matic is slower but he has done very well recently and a peak Matic would be incredible as he has the range of passing as good as Rodri and retains possession well. The issue is though that his lack of mobility would put pressure on the others to press.

Having looked at the data for all 3 systems I’m actually confident that if you put Pogba in place of Grealish I think we have the better of the 3 midfields and I’m excited to hopefully see it happen soon.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If Pogba leaves i'd 100% have no problem replacing him with Grealish, whilst he's still here though adding Grealish would be somewhat of a square peg for the time being but i'd still buy him as he's a super talent imo.
Do you not feel by doing such a swap it then requires another DM? So it’s not so much a direct replacement as it is a tactical change in need of a better DM?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't think Ole wants one tbh, think he feels like McT / Fred & Matic can cover that role as doi i.
I think McTominay has the potential too. Not Fred though. Fred for me is the perfect midfield nuisance and recycler. Harry, press recover and pass.

For McTominay it’s all there technically and discipline wise but it seems such a shame to lose his attacking work.

Im very open to McTominay in DM as Carrick would be a great coach to learn from.

Highfather_24

Grealish cannot be a Pogba replacement, if we are going to play Pogba as the deeplying playmaker in a double pivot.

Kostov

Yeah, football fans on a whole are hypocrites, I agree, but usually when you excuse a player bad behaviour it's because they are already at your club and producing, or their talent level is incredibly high, Grealish doesn't fit either bracket, he's just better than Lingard and Pereira.
He is one of the best playmakers of the PL, I rate him high not just better than Lingard and Pereira. However his behaviour must improve if he comes and wants to have a long stay here.

vanderpants

Who's reporting that figure?

If Grealish leaves Villa it won't be for a penny over £50m, and that's at the very, very top end of an estimate.
I saw it on my phone app that I follow utd on, Fotmob. Just checked the source and the report saying over 80m is from 90mins.

GoldanoGraham

Until they (Villa) are mathematically relegated everything else is pure speculation - there is no way any team is going to be negotiating for their best player while they have something to play for - if they stay up then he won't be signing for us as they will be asking silly money - if they go down then there is a good chance he can force a move - all the numbers being banded around currently are just pure media sensation at the moment......

jamesjimmybyrondean

Jibbs

We need a proper DM more than anything this year because in all likelyhood Pogba is staying, even PSG won't spend 100 m on a player this year. That is why it is so impirtant to go for Ndidi. If Leicester asks 70 80 million for him we should look for alternate. I think we should be able to get him for 50 m plus add ons to 60 65 m, but if not then the best bet is to secure VdB for around 40m. VdB is such a versatile player who can play as CDM and attacking mid too, have played at the highest level and destined to be a top mid in all likelihood.
Get Ndidi next year once Pogba is sold.

GledTheRed

Just seen his barnet in the warm up. Do not want.
[/QUOTE]

Its different.

How have all the players had their hair cut?

Last edited:

Devil may care

Well done for avoiding my trap! :lol:

I think you’re absolutely right. The only way I could advocate a Grealish starting XI role is in a midfield 3 system that has a superior DM. A reasonable example would be Leicester and City (United with Grealish included for easier comparison).

Matic
Fernandes Grealish

Ndidi
Maddison Tielemans

Rodri
Silva De Bruyne​

Now both systems have two creative players with a dedicated holder. City did better with Fernandiho holding but the point remains.

The Leicester set up has more energy and balance (hear me out) as that midfield 3 has Ndidi a pure defensive player, Tielemans who isn’t unfamiliar with a midfield 2 role and Maddison who is tireless.

City obviously have a unique approach, less energetic but effective due to the quality of the players in possession. Rodri is clearly the better ball player to Ndidi and Silva and De Bruyne have the edge too.

Now if we look at then United potential starting XI without Pogba one thing that sticks out to me is ball retention. I’d argue Fernandes, Grealish and Matic would keep the ball quite well. But Grealish isn’t as good creatively as Silva and De Bruyne and arguably Maddison and certainly doesn’t offer the defensive ability or long passing of Tielemans. Fernandes I think stands up well against them all.

At DM Matic is slower but he has done very well recently and a peak Matic would be incredible as he has the range of passing as good as Rodri and retains possession well. The issue is though that his lack of mobility would put pressure on the others to press.

Having looked at the data for all 3 systems I’m actually confident that if you put Pogba in place of Grealish I think we have the better of the 3 midfields and I’m excited to hopefully see it happen soon.
City are hard to compare with any team in many ways due to the obssessive way Pep coaches, their ability to keep the ball is on another level and negates some aspects as they defend via starving the opposition of possession.

Leicester are a great comparison though, but I feel regardless of whether it's Grealish or Pogba, we are going to have an issue if Matic is the holder in such an attacking midfield set-up, he just doesn't have the legs and hisa few games where he played well this season he had a proper partner in the double pivot in Fred that could do a lot of the running for him.

To me after RW we need a quality holding midfielder to complete the options there, then we can think aboutr cover and rotation for spots where we have a number of options, albeit not great options.

He is one of the best playmakers of the PL, I rate him high not just better than Lingard and Pereira. However his behaviour must improve if he comes and wants to have a long stay here.
I think he's a good player, especially running with the ball off the left, but to me he's not that good that I'd risk his chavyness being brought in amongst the crop of good young talent we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.