Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If I were Ancelotti I would go all out for the fella. He's the player we were desperate for Barkley to become. If one of you lot goes in for him then he'd obviously choose you but I don't know if the top clubs see him as much of a priority as they do other positions/players.

NoPace

Wild how much better he is than his teammates. I think there will be a bidding war between 2 or 3 of Newcastle (money,), Everton (need a midfield to get Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin the ball and they did plonk 50 on Gylffi), Liverpool (went out to Atletico because they lacked a playmaker and he has the nimble qualities to be a Kampl/Lallana type AM for Klopp), Arsenal (need a 10, Ozil is washed) Leicester (is there a better winger signing for them to make than getting Grealish as a LW and moving Barnes to the right?) and of course us (we need more good players).

El Jefe

I don't see the fuss with him tbh. He's obviously a good player but he looks Everton level to me. That's not a bad thing but some have been going on about him as if he's top class when he really isn't.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't see the fuss with him tbh. He's obviously a good player but he looks Everton level to me. That's not a bad thing but some have been going on about him as if he's top class when he really isn't.
To be fair to him a lot of that is down to teammates not taking players away from him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Come on, Ole. He'd be brilliant here. His composure when he gets the ball in his teams own box with a player on him is amazing. Arthur-esque.

Posh Red

A couple of flashes of what he could do today. I think there’s a lot more to come from him in the right set up

Dve

A different class than the rest of the players on the pitch tonight (with the exception of our Henderson who was really good too). Top performance.

Coops73

just like VdB then :lol:
Don’t know, never really watched Van De Beek but I like the look of Grealish, I think he’s a really good player, how you can make that work in our team/system? feck knows .

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Don’t know, never really watched Van De Beek but I like the look of Grealish, I think he’s a really good player, how you can make that work in our team/system? feck knows .
The answer is you can’t. But he’d be a great squad option.

Shame he won’t change his entire behaviour.

Adamsk7

I don’t see it. He’s tidy and a class above a team like Villa but like someone else alluded to, he has “Everton” written all over him (as they seem to be the epitome of a team that always finishes 6th -10th). I did previously say I’d like him here but on reflection he’s actually quite a limited player positionally and I just don’t see us playing him in his most effective place, especially when we have Rashford or Martial on the left and Bruno and Pogba as attacking midfielders - he’s not as good as any of those.

As we’ve also been heavily linked with Van Der Beek, I’d much rather see him in our squad as he has a lot of versatility and can cover a lot of positions, either in the starting 11 (I think he’s potentially good enough to push in to it) or on the bench, meaning we don’t ever have to see any more of the deadwood hanging around the club. He’s also less of a cnut, which seems to be a negative personality trait of Grealish, although I appreciate that’s largely paper talk.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think he's already a good player now who would excel at United and become a great one. If the price is right this is really a no brainer. He totally fits the club profile; young, English, leader, and has that bit of something about him you need to succeed at Old Trafford. He's so effortless on the ball and can not only beat his man but has a brilliant end product be it a pass, cross or strike on goal. He always seems to deliver. There's a reason he's the most fouled player in the division.

People seem to forget he's playing in a team struggling with relegation at the moment.

croadyman

I think he's already a good player now who would excel at United and become a great one. If the price is right this is really a no brainer. He totally fits the club profile; young, English, leader, and has that bit of something about him you need to succeed at Old Trafford. He's so effortless on the ball and can not only beat his man but has a brilliant end product be it a pass, cross or strike on goal. He always seems to deliver. There's a reason he's the most fouled player in the division.

People seem to forget he's playing in a team struggling with relegation at the moment.
Does feel like Grealish divides opinion amongst our fanbase,think this is mainly to do with his off field antics which I can understand.

Reckon he is made to play at this club but does need to keep his head down more when not playing.

theklr

yeah, just people who wants VdB doesnt seem to agree how to fit him either

Tony247

If I were Ancelotti I would go all out for the fella. He's the player we were desperate for Barkley to become. If one of you lot goes in for him then he'd obviously choose you but I don't know if the top clubs see him as much of a priority as they do other positions/players.
C'mon now. I thought everton are interested in Lingard.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don't see where he would play for us. We don't need a LW. He's probably best in Cm or Cam and we don't need a starter there either if Pogba is really staying. Only reason I can see us buying him is if he's replacing Pogba tbh.

He'd be mad to come to us and do what Lallana did with scousers. Basically sit on bench and halt a promising career.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
really like him but this makes no sense for either party if Pogba stays. Big if though.

crossy1686

career ending
really like him but this makes no sense for either party if Pogba stays. Big if though.
Well it does make sense. Pogba will leave in the next couple of seasons. Would you rather us be over stocked for a year in midfield or would you rather we scramble around for whatever shite is available next summer when everyone knows we’re desperate?

Suvvernmanc

Don't see where he would play for us. We don't need a LW. He's probably best in Cm or Cam and we don't need a starter there either if Pogba is really staying. Only reason I can see us buying him is if he's replacing Pogba tbh.

He'd be mad to come to us and do what Lallana did with scousers. Basically sit on bench and halt a promising career.
If Grealish comes to UTD, he wont be a bench warmer! He will be a squad option and so will Pogba be, so will Fred, so will Bruno.

Rashford has no decent competition for the LW spot and he cant play every game. He got severely injured only just before the lockdown due to us having zero backup for the many games we were playing and playing him knowing he had a niggle. That was against Wolves, in the fa cup I think.

Bruno as our only decent #10 again can't play 60 games a season! Lingard and Andreas shouldn't be anywhere near our squad let alone as cup game, squad options.

Rotation is something that is important in a long season and if it means we see Grealish starting left wing with Rashford on the bench against liverpool in the PL, or Bruno on the bench against Barnet in the 4th round of the fa cup, then that's a good thing!

Grealish doesn't have to fit into a starting 11 lineup on red cafe for this possible transfer to be deemed necessary.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If Grealish comes to UTD, he wont be a bench warmer! He will be a squad option and so will Pogba be, so will Fred, so will Bruno.

Rashford has no decent competition for the LW spot and he cant play every game. He got severely injured only just before the lockdown due to us having zero backup for the many games we were playing and playing him knowing he had a niggle. That was against Wolves, in the fa cup I think.

Bruno as our only decent #10 again can't play 60 games a season! Lingard and Andreas shouldn't be anywhere near our squad let alone as cup game, squad options.

Rotation is something that is important in a long season and if it means we see Grealish starting left wing with Rashford on the bench against liverpool in the PL, or Bruno on the bench against Barnet in the 4th round of the fa cup, then that's a good thing!

Grealish doesn't have to fit into a starting 11 lineup on red cafe for this possible transfer to be deemed necessary.
Yeah it's up to him I suppose. He knows then if he comes to us he might start 20 to 25 games all season instead of 50 unless there's any serious injuries.

Or maybe we are getting our Pogba replacement in a year before he even leaves whilst we can.

romufc

Yeah it's up to him I suppose. He knows then if he comes to us he might start 20 to 25 games all season instead of 50 unless there's any serious injuries.

Or maybe we are getting our Pogba replacement in a year before he even leaves whilst we can.

Well, at Villa he has started almost every game in the PL. At United he will get 20/25 starts in the PL i would imagine but if we are in the CL, he would get alot more game time.

If we are playing Wednesday, Saturday, then we can easily rotate him with Bruno, Pogba and Rashford. Ole has been accused of burning players out, so he would get a chance to start games weekly and be a very good sub to have too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I actually normally play with the same shin pad but with normal socks. I agree with him about small shin pad but the socks style is just weird and doesn't make any sense.
It's actually because his calf muscles are too big and normal socks restrict them and give him cramps.

Totti had the same issue.

ColvaleGoa

I like Grealish. Seems to have something special about him. I hope we sign him and Sancho without losing Pogba. Too much to ask I guess.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It's actually because his calf muscles are too big and normal socks restrict them and give him cramps.

Totti had the same issue.
That’s absolute nonsense btw. It’s a style choice that he passes off as superstition. He fancies himself a bit and is quite clearly a bit of a prick.

If he goes a whole career without a snapped shin, and wins some stuff it doesn’t really matter though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Well it does make sense. Pogba will leave in the next couple of seasons. Would you rather us be over stocked for a year in midfield or would you rather we scramble around for whatever shite is available next summer when everyone knows we’re desperate?
It makes sense to have a quality option in the squad. Everyone knows my thoughts on his behaviour by now but having quality like that is always helpful.

Especially now we are playing a higher intensity game we end up with more injuries.

He won’t be a best XI player though... I don’t think quality wise you can say he wouldn’t offer something different and my issue has always been attitude with him.

He’ll play lots of games but when everyone is fit and ready he’s going to be on the bench.

James is decent competition for LW to be fair but Grealish offers a completely different style to James so (ability wise) hed be a great option to rotate.

Grealish hasn’t yet shown the ability to play CAM at a top level in the PL consistently as he’s been a LW with a free role so I’m less convinced at his impact there (he doesn’t like to play with his back to goal) but I do think he’d be better than Lingard and Pereira who I think have had more than enough time.

If we get Sancho in though I do think it changes our squad as he can play RW, CAM or LW.

So for me assuming no changes (listed by best position currently) but with Sancho:
Red:

GK: De Gea, Romero, Grant/Periera
RB: AWB, Dalot, Fosu Mensah
CB: Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling, Tuanzebe, Jones, Rojo
LB: Shaw, Williams
CDM: Matic, Garner
CM: Pogba, McTominay*, Fred, Pereira
CAM: Fernandes, Gomes, Lingard
RW: Sancho, Greenwood
LW: Rashford, James, Chong, Sanchez
ST: Martial, Ighalo

Blue - Excellent
Green - Good
Yellow - Ok
Orange - Saveable but sellable
Red - Surplus to requirements
Colour Mixes - Inbetween/on the way to
So in my opinion the weakest depth area is in order:
  1. CAM - Gomes and Lingard aren’t good enough yet/at all
  2. CDM* Unless McTominay is moved there Matic is ageing and Garner needs time/a loan
  3. LW James is getting to be good enough but I’d like a creative option too.
So depth wise I think CAM is the priority Grealish hasn’t for me shown he’s an excellent CAM. LW in a free role yes.

izec

That’s absolute nonsense btw. It’s a style choice that he passes off as superstition. He fancies himself a bit and is quite clearly a bit of a prick.

If he goes a whole career without a snapped shin, and wins some stuff it doesn’t really matter though.
I agree. Plenty of players past and present with big calf muscles play with normal socks. I am sure there are ways to reduce the tightness or get some individual stuff made for you.

As you said, it has more to do with style and how it looks. Grealish is obviously fixed on that, looking at his sleek hair as well. Nothing wrong with it, but let's not pretend he isn't vain. Also his tight shorts. I am sure they have larger numbers than that. He has some thick legs and muscles, but he is also doing everything he can to show them as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.