Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That’s absolute nonsense btw. It’s a style choice that he passes off as superstition. He fancies himself a bit and is quite clearly a bit of a prick.

If he goes a whole career without a snapped shin, and wins some stuff it doesn’t really matter though.
Well it isn't. You've never seen somebody with cramp in their calves and end up pulling their socks down to relieve the pressure?

Yes he might like it stylistically also but there is a genuine reason for it.

Hawks2008

Cant get keen for this one, don't think he's a player for a top team unless he's mostly a rotational player.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I agree. Plenty of players past and present with big calf muscles play with normal socks. I am sure there are ways to reduce the tightness or get some individual stuff made for you.

As you said, it has more to do with style and how it looks. Grealish is obviously fixed on that, looking at his sleek hair as well. Nothing wrong with it, but let's not pretend he isn't vain. Also his tight shorts. I am sure they have larger numbers than that. He has some thick legs and muscles, but he is also doing everything he can to show them as much as possible.
Couldn’t care less what he wears or how he looks.
Well it isn't. You've never seen somebody with cramp in their calves and end up pulling their socks down to relieve the pressure?

Ive pulled socks down before for the same reason only ever when deep into a game but it does relieve pressure and helped me feel less likely to cramp up.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

People literally wear compression socks to stop cramp.

They pull down the sock to better massage the muscle and alleviate.

Irrespective of that; he’s never stated that as the reason so you’re wrong twice over.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't think we will spend 40m plus for a player to sit on the bench. Look at James, look at Ighalo. Clubs usually don't spend 40m+ for players to sit on the bench. What happens is that the 40m player is gotten for the starting 11 then turns out to not be good enough to start. 40m plus for a bench player in Covid 19? 40m plus for a bench player that can go elsewhere and be a starter? I don't think that's realistic.

Hawks2008

O
Lingard, Pereria or Grealish? Who are you bringing off the bench if we need a goal?
Obviously he is better than Lingard and Peirera but I'd rather we prioritise improving the first 11 than improving the bench. Dont think we need this profile of midfielder, we have many of them whereas we only have Matic who is competent as a holder.

If the price is really cheap and he's happy with being a back up after years of being the main man at Villa then sure but otherwise I dont think Grealish is an urgent need.

dbs235

Come on, Ole. He'd be brilliant here. His composure when he gets the ball in his teams own box with a player on him is amazing. Arthur-esque.
I noticed that a lot yesterday, seemed to constantly be in his own box just casually dribbling away from a couple of players.

Adam-Utd

People literally wear compression socks to stop cramp.

They pull down the sock to better massage the muscle and alleviate.

Irrespective of that; he’s never stated that as the reason so you’re wrong twice over.
I'm talking from real world experience that it definitely helps so think what you like :lol: I've had calf cramp and pulled my socks down and loosened my shinpad and it feels a lot better.

I never claimed that was the EXACT reason for it, just a possibility so get off your high horse.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
O
Obviously he is better than Lingard and Peirera but I'd rather we prioritise improving the first 11 than improving the bench. Dont think we need this profile of midfielder, we have many of them whereas we only have Matic who is competent as a holder.

If the price is really cheap and he's happy with being a back up after years of being the main man at Villa then sure but otherwise I dont think Grealish is an urgent need.
I wonder what you think of the below then in terms of our current full squad (with an assumed addition of Sancho)?

So for me assuming no changes (listed by best position currently) but with Sancho:
Red:

GK: De Gea, Romero, Grant/Periera
RB: AWB, Dalot, Fosu Mensah
CB: Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling, Tuanzebe, Jones, Rojo
LB: Shaw, Williams
CDM: Matic, Garner
CM: Pogba, McTominay*, Fred, Pereira
CAM: Fernandes, Gomes, Lingard
RW: Sancho, Greenwood
LW: Rashford, James, Chong, Sanchez
ST: Martial, Ighalo

Blue - Excellent
Green - Good
Yellow - Ok
Orange - Saveable but sellable
Red - Surplus to requirements
Colour Mixes - Inbetween/on the way to
So in my opinion the weakest depth area is in order:
  1. CAM - Gomes and Lingard aren’t good enough yet/at all
  2. CDM* Unless McTominay is moved there Matic is ageing and Garner needs time/a loan
  3. LW James is getting to be good enough but I’d like a creative option too.
So depth wise I think CAM is the priority Grealish hasn’t for me shown he’s an excellent CAM. LW in a free role yes.

RyRoc

The problem he has it's so very easily to just put two men on him when he's playing for Aston Villa as he's clearly their best player and therefore it limits what he can do. To me he's not an explosive type player who can win games on his own - he's the sort of player that thrives with quality around him - when Villa were in the Championship their other players could influence the game more and that allowed Grealish to really show what he's about - he simply hasn't been able to consistently do it this year with how the opposition has set up to handle him. I think a lot of it is to do with price with him - can't see anyone paying over £40 million from what we've seen of him this year. If there was a deal to be done around the 25-30 mark - especially if Villa go down then I think a few of the top clubs could be interested.

jamesjimmybyrondean

A video showcasing his performances in a midfield role.
There's also this interview

Asked after the game as to his best position, Grealish, with a smile, replied: “I don’t think the manager will like me saying this, but I prefer playing as a number eight, but I’ll play wherever the manager wants.”

It is that attitude that so impresses Smith, who said: “He can play a number of positions.

“He can play as part of a two in midfield, play as a 10, play as an eight when we play a one and two (an attacking midfielder behind two strikers), he can play left, he can play right"

“I just feel at the moment, for the balance of the team, it (left wing) is a really good position for him. That’s the thing a mature Jack knows now, that he is doing a job for the team by being there"

crossy1686

career ending
O

There's no such thing as a first 11 these days, it's a squad game

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

A video showcasing his performances in a midfield role.
Note the season that’s taken from. 17/18 Championship. A lot of the best play from that video where he’s involved in a goal is from the LW cutting in.

As I’ve said before he hasn’t shown CAM proficiency in a top league for a season yet. And in none of those clips was he operating as a CM in the formation we use 4-2-3-1.

He has shown proficiency from LW consistently. I’m confident of that ability.

Asked after the game as to his best position, Grealish, with a smile, replied: “I don’t think the manager will like me saying this, but I prefer playing as a number eight, but I’ll play wherever the manager wants.”

It is that attitude that so impresses Smith, who said: “He can play a number of positions.

“He can play as part of a two in midfield, play as a 10, play as an eight when we play a one and two (an attacking midfielder behind two strikers), he can play left, he can play right"

“I just feel at the moment, for the balance of the team, it (left wing) is a really good position for him. That’s the thing a mature Jack knows now, that he is doing a job for the team by being there"
This is much better evidence if the manager and the player feel he is capable. But do we not think it telling that Grealish’s best role in the side is LW?

If he was such an amazing CAM or CM he’d be running things from the heart not floating around in his free role from wide.

He may “prefer” it but if you look at his play even in the 17/18 season he wanted the free role to drift wide left and cut in.

I’m not surprised Smith put him there as he know Grealish in CM doesn’t offer the protection Villa needs and so I don’t see how he gets into our CM?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
There's no such thing as a first 11 these days, it's a squad game
Yes it’s a squad game but there absolutely is such thing as a first XI...

Just look at Liverpool and tell me you can’t pick out their best XI that also happens to have played almost week in week out in a potentially record breaking season?

romufc

Yes it’s a squad game but there absolutely is such thing as a first XI...

Just look at Liverpool and tell me you can’t pick out their best XI that also happens to have played almost week in week out in a potentially record breaking season?
Yes, a first 11 is good but how often have we have our "first XI" fit for more than 4 games in a row?

Liverpool have been extremely lucky not to have injuries to their key players for a considerable amount of time.

Highfather_24

This is much better evidence if the manager and the player feel he is capable. But do we not think it telling that Grealish’s best role in the side is LW?
There's also this interview :

“Some people say I should be a left winger. No thanks. I hate that position! I’m a No 8. I’ll play No 10 if asked, but I haven’t played there for three years".

https://theathletic.co.uk/1202147/2...ack-grealish-video-analysis-of-jack-grealish/

I think Grealish was moved to LW(in the Coutinho role) because he would be closer to goal, and since he is Villa's best player they just want him in around the goal. I think his attributes are more suited to a midfield role. Its a risk for sure, considering he hasnt played there in the top division, but I see all the qualities of a very complete midfielder when I see him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Yes, a first 11 is good but how often have we have our "first XI" fit for more than 4 games in a row?

Liverpool have been extremely lucky not to have injuries to their key players for a considerable amount of time.
We've also been very unlucky with injuries

romufc

Yes, so having another quality player who is versatile does solve more problems than it raises.

Let me give you a couple scenarious.

If we have Bruno / Grealish this season - We could have afforded for Pogba to take extra 2 weeks in October by playing a relatively good replacement - he may not have missed majority of the season

If we had Grealish - Rashford could have been rested for a couple games in jan so his back isn't aggravated.

We had that with Maguire where there was fears that he was injured and he was left out of one game and he was back.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So you know how I told you all about being confident he was involved in that incident...

Jack Grealish: Aston Villa star charged with driving offences over lockdown crash
http://news.sky.com/story/jack-grea...driving-offences-over-lockdown-crash-12009717

From what I’ve been told he’s not being charged with drink driving because he left the scene before police could get involved. Hence the charge of failing to stop at collision charge.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Yes, so having another quality player who is versatile does solve more problems than it raises.

If we have Bruno / Grealish this season - We could have afforded for Pogba to take extra 2 weeks in October by playing a relatively good replacement - he may not have missed majority of the season

If we had Grealish - Rashford could have been rested for a couple games in jan so his back isn't aggravated.

We had that with Maguire where there was fears that he was injured and he was left out of one game and he was back.
I'm not opposed to getting Grealish at all. It's just saying teams don't have a starting 11 is a wrong statement. Of course rotation and injuries would happen but there is always a standard starting 11. As the saying goes if its not broken don't fix it

Posh Red

I'm not opposed to getting Grealish at all. It's just saying teams don't have a starting 11 is a wrong statement. Of course rotation and injuries would happen but there is always a standard starting 11. As the saying goes if its not broken don't fix it
I don’t really agree with this. Sir Alex for example would regularly change his side to match his approach depending on the opponent. Plenty of managers operate that way.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

It’s well reported that our issues with injuries are to do with adjusting to the new demands of our playing style. Next season we will have less.

Their luck is due to the conditioning done early on in Klopps regime. It’s similar (ish) to what Solskjaer has had to do. Bear in mind we’ve gone from Mourinho low intensity to Ole.
There's also this interview :

“Some people say I should be a left winger. No thanks. I hate that position! I’m a No 8. I’ll play No 10 if asked, but I haven’t played there for three years".

https://theathletic.co.uk/1202147/2...ack-grealish-video-analysis-of-jack-grealish/

I think Grealish was moved to LW(in the Coutinho role) because he would be closer to goal, and since he is Villa's best player they just want him in around the goal. I think his attributes are more suited to a midfield role. Its a risk for sure, considering he hasnt played there in the top division, but I see all the qualities of a very complete midfielder when I see him.
This is what I want to see. Someone backing up their views so thank you.

This is much more compelling evidence of his potential to play this position.

I stand by my comments of it being a risk as he’s never shown it on the biggest level so I still think he’s best from the LW your Coutinho example I think is very good! Though note Coutinho performed well at CAM too in the PL.

I still maintain 4-2-3-1 we can’t play him in the 2 but I’d be much more open to it in a 4-3-3 now.

Agreed

It solves them if he’s ready and prepared to be that bit part player without the starting role. I think he likes being the main player and when he’s not playing he does stupid things. This has happened consistently throughout his career only a lot of these things don’t get reported on.

romufc

Of course rotation and injuries would happen but there is always a standard starting 11
Ofcourse, not doubting that. There will be a scenario where you know your best 11. However, this could change in a season. Who thought Matic would be in our first 11 at the start, whereas now you might put him in.

Even if a team has a standard 11, there are positions where you could be unsure of. e.g. For Liverpool, if Keita hits form he could be in, or just before lockdown Ox was there as part of their strongest 11.

As long as you know 9/10 of your strongest team, I think it could work.

Their luck is due to the conditioning done early on in Klopps regime. It’s similar (ish) to what Solskjaer has had to do. Bear in mind we’ve gone from Mourinho low intensity to Ole.
Well how long does it take to condition players? How many injuries have Mane, Salah, Firminho, VVD, Henderson, Trent, Robertson got? Don't they have to be conditioned signing from another club too?

It solves them if he’s ready and prepared to be that bit part player without the starting role. I think he likes being the main player and when he’s not playing he does stupid things. This has happened consistently throughout his career only a lot of these things don’t get reported on.
Well, no top team will guarantee him a starting role. So either he needs to accept it, or go to a Everton or another club.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ofcourse, not doubting that. There will be a scenario where you know your best 11. However, this could change in a season. Who thought Matic would be in our first 11 at the start, whereas now you might put him in.

Even if a team has a standard 11, there are positions where you could be unsure of. e.g. For Liverpool, if Keita hits form he could be in, or just before lockdown Ox was there as part of their strongest 11.

Well how long does it take to condition players? How many injuries have Mane, Salah, Firminho, VVD, Henderson, Trent, Robertson got? Don't they have to be conditioned signing from another club too?

Well, no top team will guarantee him a starting role. So either he needs to accept it, or go to a Everton or another club.
Agreed. It's more like 'this is my starting 11 but no position is safe"

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Agreed. It's more like 'this is my starting 11 but no position is safe"
Exactly. And Grealish wouldn’t be in the starting XI but would be able to step in with a slight drop in quality.

I think Grealish’s problem is the positions we know we have strength are ones he’d be looking at.

Bruno, Pogba and Rashford are better than Grealish. I’m certain of that. But he’s quality and would be talent wise very good as a rotation option.

Usually to get a team playing how you want you need first the conditioning and also the players. Notice how Solskjaer is freshening up the side with young high stamina players AWB and Dan James for example.

Solskjaer recognises the physical load on our players has increased. If you look at our running metrics for previous seasons compared to Ole it’s a significant change and part of that is accepting injuries as the bodies adapt.

There is a big difference between asking players from bought for the purpose of different systems (Moyes, LVG and Mourinho) to adapt to this new higher intensity. Liverpool under Klopp have had a very slow but deliberate signing process where players are suited to the role and direction the club wants to continue under. Even then some needed time to adapt.

I believe with a full season of Ole ball and increased depth we will see that vast improvement on the injury front the body just needs time but what is encouraging is the cherry picked signings James, AWB and Maguire have had very few problems. We want young fit players

If no top team would guarantee him that time it shows you the level of player he is. Very good but not the best.

Hawks2008

I wonder what you think of the below then in terms of our current full squad (with an assumed addition of Sancho)?
IMO there is still a lack of quality in some positions, a new right wing and holding midfielder are the most urgent needs to be filled in the squad and before long we should be looking for a new striker, left back, and probably another CB to partner Maguire. Not convinced that the guys we have in these spots now are good enough.

romufc

Exactly. And Grealish wouldn’t be in the starting XI but would be able to step in with a slight drop in quality.

I think Grealish’s problem is the positions we know we have strength are ones he’d be looking at.

Bruno, Pogba and Rashford are better than Grealish. I’m certain of that. But he’s quality and would be talent wise very good as a rotation option.

Usually to get a team playing how you want you need first the conditioning and also the players. Notice how Solskjaer is freshening up the side with young high stamina players AWB and Dan James for example.

Solskjaer recognises the physical load on our players has increased. If you look at our running metrics for previous seasons compared to Ole it’s a significant change and part of that is accepting injuries as the bodies adapt.

There is a big difference between asking players from bought for the purpose of different systems (Moyes, LVG and Mourinho) to adapt to this new higher intensity. Liverpool under Klopp have had a very slow but deliberate signing process where players are suited to the role and direction the club wants to continue under. Even then some needed time to adapt.

I believe with a full season of Ole ball and increased depth we will see that vast improvement on the injury front the body just needs time but what is encouraging is the cherry picked signings James, AWB and Maguire have had very few problems. We want young fit players

If no top team would guarantee him that time it shows you the level of player he is. Very good but not the best.
I understand what Ole is trying to do and getting the player fit. I like what Ole is trying to do and I can see where he is trying to get these players at.

If you notice, Klopp doesnt play that football anymore, this season liverpool's style of play has changed from the high intensity press, just the fact they are so well organised now and the fear of teams to attack them.

No one fears United yet, hopefully soon come.

Exactly, Grealish isnt a world class player, so he would be happy to fight for his place.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I never claimed that was the EXACT reason for it, just a possibility so get off your high horse.
Dude, you said, verbatim “It's actually because his calf muscles are too big and normal socks restrict them and give him cramps”

All I did was tell you that you were wrong, and give you the real reason.

Don’t be princessy about people correcting you. It’s how people learn. If it doesn’t happen to me at least once a day it’s probably because I haven’t spoke to anyone.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Heated rows about socks are why I come to the caf :drool:

jamesjimmybyrondean

IMO there is still a lack of quality in some positions, a new right wing and holding midfielder are the most urgent needs to be filled in the squad and before long we should be looking for a new striker, left back, and probably another CB to partner Maguire. Not convinced that the guys we have in these spots now are good enough.
Right wing is definitely the weakest. As for the second I'm not sure yet. I think we should at least judge through these remaining 9 games to see if we actually need a holding midfielder. In theory, we do since an ageing Matic is our only DM but let's see whether Fred or Mctominay paired with Pogba in a pivot is good enough.

I'd say the next priority in fixing the starting 11 should be replacing Lindelof and finding a solid partner for Maguire but which defender is available right now that's actually a significant upgrade on Lindelof?

Shaw i think is okay. To put it this way, Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool etc would still win the league with Shaw as their left back. Martial has potential to be worldclass so he's good for now . On the bench however I'd say the priority should be replaci Lingard/Pereira.

So in order of priority we should get an RW CB and backup AM. DM would come second if Fred/Mctominay with Pogba in a pivot flops

croadyman

Provided that we upgrade the RW position with Sancho this summer and address at least the striker and CB problem next summer then I would be happy. Can understand what you are saying about needing a LB as well but see that as the lowest priority on the list.

In regards to the holding midfielder situation it looks very much like Ole is giving Matic one more season and perhaps sees McTominay as the natural successor in that position, personally though I feel targeting a proper holding midfielder should be a top priority next summer.

Suvvernmanc

Grealish hasn’t yet shown the ability to play CAM at a top level in the PL consistently as he’s been a LW with a free role so I’m less convinced at his impact there (he doesn’t like to play with his back to goal) but I do think he’d be better than Lingard and Pereira who I think have had more than enough time.
He has played there a fair bit for villa though in the championship and has openly said it's his preferred position over LW.

Did you watch last game vs Sheffield United? Grealish played all over the pitch. He was receiving the ball off the keeper and defenders deep in his own half. He was pinging balls into wide areas and was confident enough in his own ability to dribble round their attackers and midfielders still inside his own half! And almost every attack Villa had he was either in a great position to receive the ball or was the creator himself. He can absolutely play midfield. It's a great thing to have a player who plays many positions.

If it's a matter of you or anyone else on here that just dont rate him enough then we will just have to disagree. I think he is top quality and is made for a top club. Some think he is Everton level! Ridiculous!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Right wing is definitely the weakest. As for the second I'm not sure yet. I think we should at least judge through these remaining 9 games to see if we actually need a holding midfielder. In theory, we do since an ageing Matic is our only DM but let's see whether Fred or Mctominay paired with Pogba in a pivot is good enough.

I'd say the next priority in fixing the starting 11 should be replacing Lindelof and finding a solid partner for Maguire but which defender is available right now that's actually a significant upgrade on Lindelof?

Shaw i think is okay. To put it this way, Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool etc would still win the league with Shaw as their left back. Martial has potential to be worldclass so he's good for now . On the bench however I'd say the priority should be replaci Lingard/Pereira.

So in order of priority we should get an RW CB and backup AM. DM would come second if Fred/Mctominay with Pogba in a pivot flops
Agreed. I feel like I agree with you a lot and vice versa :lol:

Adam-Utd

Dude, you said, verbatim “It's actually because his calf muscles are too big and normal socks restrict them and give him cramps”

All I did was tell you that you were wrong, and give you the real reason.

Don’t be princessy about people correcting you. It’s how people learn. If it doesn’t happen to me at least once a day it’s probably because I haven’t spoke to anyone.
Rolling down your socks IS a legitimate reason to help stop cramp - but fair enough in his situation it may just be a "style issue"

Anyway I wasn't being princessy, but you fired back with a sarcy " so you're wrong twice! " so thought you deserve a bit of attitude back.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He has played there a fair bit for villa though in the championship and has openly said it's his preferred position over LW.

Did you watch last game vs Sheffield United? Grealish played all over the pitch. He was receiving the ball off the keeper and defenders deep in his own half. He was pinging balls into wide areas and was confident enough in his own ability to dribble round their attackers and midfielders still inside his own half! And almost every attack Villa had he was either in a great position to receive the ball or was the creator himself. He can absolutely play midfield. It's a great thing to have a player who plays many positions.

If it's a matter of you or anyone else on here that just dont rate him enough then we will just have to disagree. I think he is top quality and is made for a top club. Some think he is Everton level! Ridiculous!
I watched the game and I saw what I’ve seen regularly from him this season. A LW with license to roam and float because he is unquestionably the main man.

He wouldn’t get that freedom in CM for us nor at Villa at this level.

Dean Smith is well aware of the ego he’s caressing here and knows Jack needs freedom to benefit Villa most. He’s absolutely a quality player and would start for Everton so maybe that’s what other posters have been suggesting?

I have never questioned his skills or ability from LW in a free role. But I wonder how much you’ve seen of him in his first few games this season. He wanted to do his superman impression from CM and Villa were overran easily each game.

I like him as a player but I’m not going to be blinded by that and his attitude is the problem. Look at the news today. People were vehemently defending him and now he’s been charged where are all these people saying nothing’s been proven etc?

I’ll ask you this as you seem confident.

McTominay Pogba
Bruno​

Where does he fit into our midfield set up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.