Jack Grealish v James Maddison

Who is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Enough of the speculation, who's better?

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Evidence of this season Grealish. He’s playing in a far far inferior team but looking as good. Both great players though, great to watch

Infestissumam

Grealish for me. Didn't think he'd have it in him, but this season has proven me wrong. Wonderful player, would love to see him at United.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Grealish is what I call a transitional midfielder - used to be the player that takes the ball from midfield to attacking midfield before passing.

Maddison has much more of an ability to make a creative and a penetrative pass even if Grealish has better short pass abilities over all.

They are different players, if we buy Grealish to play him CAM we won't be getting the best out of him & if we play Maddison at CM or LCM then neither would we.

Pagh Wraith

When people such as these two meet, do they think "This guy looks as much an arrogant twat as I do, let's hit the town later" or "There can be only one"?

Traub

When people such as these two meet, do they think "This guy looks as much an arrogant twat as I do, let's hit the town later" or "There can be only one"?
Second one when they were younger, first one now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
For who? For a side like you? Grealish would be better suited as he's better on the ball and running with it and you are void of players in the midfield who will run with the ball and attack the space (Hi Boss). Maddison is someone that needs players around him that are good for him to have the time and space a bit more like Mata. He'd be quality sometimes but he'd have quite a few naff performances also. Right now you need Grealish more and I think he could go to more clubs and look just as good. With Maddison I think he needs specific sides to look as good as he is in this Leicester side.

DCP

Totally different players but I would sign Grealish in an absolute heart beat

He'sRaldo

Grealish is what I call a transitional midfielder - used to be the player that takes the ball from midfield to attacking midfield before passing.

Maddison has much more of an ability to make a creative and a penetrative pass even if Grealish has better short pass abilities over all.

They are different players, if we buy Grealish to play him CAM we won't be getting the best out of him & if we play Maddison at CM or LCM then neither would we.
Agreed. Grealish seems the better choice if Pogba stays, and Maddison if Pogba goes.

If Pogba stays then 4-3-3 with Pogba and Grealish as CM's. If Pogba goes, then 4-2-3-1 with Maddison as the AM. I personally prefer the 4-3-3 with Grealish.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Grealish for me. He's quality... And doesn't shy away when the going gets tough.

Would be my number one priority signing in the summer.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Think the commentator said they were pals off the pitch? Wouldn’t surprise me either. Strange then that people have called out Maddison as a bit of a twat, but Grealish as having a great mentality

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think they’re that similar, but I think Grealish would make the ‘step-up’* easier.

* he says as Leicester currently sit third in the league...

fps

Maddison, he is so precise in his touch crossing and passing.

saivet

Not sure who's better, I'd probably say Maddison is currently but Grealish might be a better fit for us. If we're signing Bruno then I think Grealish would make more sense as I feel he has a greater ability to dictate the game.

Maybe a simplistic comparison but Maddison reminds me more of Mata and Grealish more David Silva stylistically.

tjb

Quick question, can Grealish play on the right?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Agreed. Grealish seems the better choice if Pogba stays, and Maddison if Pogba goes.

If Pogba stays then 4-3-3 with Pogba and Grealish as CM's. If Pogba goes, then 4-2-3-1 with Maddison as the AM. I personally prefer the 4-3-3 with Grealish.
Grealish can play deeper and is suited a bit to the left. Every time I watch him his ability seems to be his capability to get past 2 or 3 players in transition usually in crowded midfield, attacking midfielder areas before making a simple pass in to someone to space.

The pass isn't usually anything spectacular but it's his ability to get to the place and release the ball with ease to someone in space whilst making it look easy which is quite nice.

Maddison on the other hand plays completely in the central pocket, plays the passes for a player like Vardy to catch on to in comparison to Grealish, will make the attacking and defensive/counterpressive runs, take Central shots compared to Grealish's left channel shots etc.

Grealish reminds me more of a long term LCM than a pure central CAM.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just wanted to be the only one on first page who will say neither will become world class in few years. Hi future bumper of this thread!

SamVimes

For who? For a side like you? Grealish would be better suited as he's better on the ball and running with it and you are void of players in the midfield who will run with the ball and attack the space (Hi Boss). Maddison is someone that needs players around him that are good for him to have the time and space a bit more like Mata. He'd be quality sometimes but he'd have quite a few naff performances also. Right now you need Grealish more and I think he could go to more clubs and look just as good. With Maddison I think he needs specific sides to look as good as he is in this Leicester side.
That is a really good summation.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Tough choice. Has Grealish played as a 10 all season? I actually thought he was playing more as an 8 during the season but recently he seems to have been pushed up higher? Unless I’m totally wrong. Haven’t watched too much of Villa (maybe 6-7 matches this season and lots more highlights).

fps

Maddison’s passing and striking of a ball are so good, as is his urgency. Some of Grealish’s passing has also been sensational, he puts his foot on it a bit more and drives at people.

Kag

I’d agree with the (apparent) consensus that Grealish a little bit more ‘United’. It’s a fairly intangible quality but one that makes sense to me nonetheless.

In a more practical sense, if Pogba is to leave then I’d be looking at a player more in the Grealish mould rather than Maddison, particularly given Bruno (who we look likely to sign) seems more of a goal scorer. Grealish is better at dribbling and driving forward in transition, something the team lacks when Pogba isn’t playing.

baskinginthesun

Grealish. Seems to control the midfield and everything goes through him. Maddison seems like he needs a lot of runners to play the final ball. While that is a nice talent the controlled midfield performances of Grealish is much better long term.

jamesjimmybyrondean

With the Bruno news(and assuming Pogba is gone) how are we going to fit in Bruno and Grealish or Maddison in the team. And please don't say anything about them being bench options because they are all starting qualities

Dozer

I’m firmly in the Grealish camp. However, what I will say for Maddison is he can deliver one hell of a corner. Always whipped in flat with pace - and we haven’t had someone who could do that in many a year.