Jack Grealish

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Must admit I was glad we swerved him this summer at the rumoured price he would have cost, but he sure does seem to have kicked on a level this season.

pascell

Stats say last season he got 8 goals and 6 assists.

In hindsight, he looks a missed opportunity but on those stats (acknowledge the rest of his game was good too and arguably, slightly out of position), £80m looked too much.

Every player who has a great season or great start to a season, looks good in hindsight.
Thats what our scouts are there for. If they feel if he can replicate what he's doing for Villa, for United then the G/A output will be higher due to playing with higher quality players.

I might be bias as he was one of my dream signings last summer, but it was there to see last season that he'd be a very, very quality asset for us.

Okey

2 threads active on Grealish (who deserves every praise by the way) and none on Ollie Watkins? Looks a better striker than Martial at the moment. Grealish we already knew. He's just confirming his elite status and making us weep with each great performance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2 threads active on Grealish (who deserves every praise by the way) and none on Ollie Watkins? Looks a better striker than Martial at the moment. Grealish we already knew. He's just confirming his elite status and making us weep with each great performance.
He was very impressive for Brentford and seems to have taken to the league very easily. Very similar style to vardy. Honestly for the price they paid I would have loved him as an alternative.

marktan

Watkons looks super impressive, plays like Vardy and Firmino (pre drought). I'm surprised he wasn't snapped up earlier given how strong his all round game is.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Thats what our scouts are there for. If they feel if he can replicate what he's doing for Villa, for United then the G/A output will be higher due to playing with higher quality players.

I might be bias as he was one of my dream signings last summer, but it was there to see last season that he'd be a very, very quality asset for us.
I'm not disagreeing. My wife and father in law are Villa fans .. I've seen them live 20ish times in last few seasons when we go visiting in Brum plus watch Villa a lot on TV/pubs with her.

He's a good player and looks like someone who'd step up in a better team, I agree. My point was more that a lot of posts are hindsight and if we'd spent £80m and he'd not worked out, it'd be "why do we overpay for average players".

I'm happy he's doing well.. wife's happy and he's in my FF team (as is Watkins) but yeah, I wish he was doing it with us. My only concern would be how we'd set up to fit him in. 4312, 4222?

Stats say last season he got 8 goals and 6 assists.

In hindsight, he looks a missed opportunity but on those stats (acknowledge the rest of his game was good too and arguably, slightly out of position), £80m looked too much.

Every player who has a great season or great start to a season, looks good in hindsight.
Anyone that watched Villa last season would say he was one of the best players in the league. With no good striker or second playmaker and Dean Smith generally playing a very defensive style, he basically had to take on entire teams on his own. The amount of work he does down that flank is unreal, he's everywhere. Like another poster said it's no surprise people are waking up to it when he has a quality team around him

MS4

And i believed everyone who was saying he is overrated. Damn, he would be nice to have. And for sure he would have a place. Fred, Bruno, Grealish, Rashford and the rest is secondary

Idxomer

And i believed everyone who was saying he is overrated. Damn, he would be nice to have. And for sure he would have a place. Fred, Bruno, Grealish, Rashford and the rest is secondary
Anyone who said that never really watched him much.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Some performance last night. Would've been a great signing to have. Absolutely tore arsenal to shreds yesterday

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can play LW, RW and CAM too so would have covered 3 positions. Absolute mind boggling how we signed Donny to then hardly use him and take an expensive punt on this kid from Atalanta.

Our recruitment team is the biggest joke in football.

Cloud7

He seems like a very hard worker. Would it be possible for him to work in a midfield 3 with Bruno, like when City had Silva and KDB in a 3?

Oranges038

How is Villa playing like this:
Easy when the opposition don't even bother to get within 2 yards of them. Almost every Arsenal player is there around the box, not one of them tried to defend.

A full 6 seconds Barkley just stood there with the ball ,14-20 seconds in that clip.
That is some terrible defending, standing there like a glitched player in a video game. A token leg thrown out to stop the through ball, no idea what's going on at the back post either.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Love this guy. Would sell Pogba in a heartbeat for him.. only issue is where would he fit in. I wouldn't trust Ole to know how to create an effective system where both him and Bruno play at the same time.

If we had signed Reguilon or Chilwell... and someone more progressive as an alternative to AWB, we could play a 4-2-2-2 and that would enable them both to play together but not with our current full backs.

romufc

Love this guy. Would sell Pogba in a heartbeat for him.. only issue is where would he fit in. I wouldn't trust Ole to know how to create an effective system where both him and Bruno play at the same time.
The good thing about Grealish is we can play him as a LW. The way him and Barkley have developed a relationship shows he can play with a CAM type player.

Grealish is really good defensively as well, so we could potentially play him there but the only issue is the RW, we do not have one.

Bwuk

Grealish could play across the 3 in a 4231, and could play as a #8 in a 4-3-3.

If we sold Pogba I think he'd be a great replacement.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

If we had signed Reguilon or Chilwell... and someone more progressive as an alternative to AWB, we could play a 4-2-2-2 and that would enable them both to play together but not with our current full backs.
We have Telles

Irrational.

We need to forget Sancho and focus our efforts on signing this guy in Jan/ next summer. We will find a way to fit him in. He'd be a Rooney-esque signing. The swagger and skill he plays with is very hard to find in modern day footballers.

I would accept an inferior RW if it meant us getting Grealish.

Tapori

We need to forget Sancho and focus our efforts on signing this guy in Jan/ next summer. We will find a way to fit him in. He'd be a Rooney-esque signing. The swagger and skill he plays with is very hard to find in modern day footballers.

The best aspect of Grealish is his adaptability. You can play him in a mid-3 ACM or across the front 3 wide, inside or false striker.

Yes he is a bit of a wrong'un but we've always harnessed this.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We need to forget Sancho and focus our efforts on signing this guy in Jan/ next summer.
If the rumours about Greenwoods "issues" outside of the pitch is true I agree. There have been a lot of similar rumours about Sancho and two young boys like that could easily have negative influence on eachother.

I know there has been issues with Grealish in the past too, but considering the level of performance and how fit he looks there cant be much question about him today.

Someone said we need more players like Fernandes. Grealish could have a similar impact.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Nah, let's spend all summer window chasing unproven kids with grandpa from Uruguay and then wonder why there's no bigger improvement and impact on the pitch in comparison to previous seasons.

Irrational.

The best aspect of Grealish is his adaptability. You can play him in a mid-3 ACM or across the front 3 wide, inside or false striker.

Yes he is a bit of a wrong'un but we've always harnessed this.
Yep, exactly. I think we need to stop looking for specific players to fulfil specific roles. If they're good enough, they'll fit in.

Positionally he reminds me of Coutinho at Liverpool and how he was able to play with the front three or as part of the midfield three. He wasn't too bad for them.

If the rumours about Greenwoods "issues" outside of the pitch is true I agree. There have been a lot of similar rumours about Sancho and two young boys like that could easily have negative influence on eachother.

I know there has been issues with Grealish in the past too, but considering the level of performance and how fit he looks there cant be much question about him today.

Someone said we need more players like Fernandes. Grealish could have a similar impact.
Agreed - he has that arrogance and the winning mentality required in Manchester United players. Too often we've had players like Mkhitaryan, Sanchez and Lukaku amongst others who simply retreat into their shells at the first sign of adversity. This is the kind of statement signing we need to be making.

RkkMan

Umm we signed the best attacking LB from the same league we got Bruno from. I dont know why you`re talking as if we have squat at LB

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I'd love a poll on who would take a swap : Pogba for Grealish. Let's say for argument Pogba goes to Juve and we get Grealish in - Pogba doesn't have to play for Villa.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd love a poll on who would take a swap : Pogba for Grealish. Let's say for argument Pogba goes to Juve and we get Grealish in - Pogba doesn't have to play for Villa.
As Grealish has had some excellent games recently, and Pogba has been poor, it'd probably be 100% Grealish.

Let's see in 2 months whether their form has changed though.

romufc

He is one of my favourite English players at the moment. The way he plays football is brilliant.

Playing for Villa means he is used to tracking back and helping the defence, he will never shy away from the ball, can retain possession in tight spaces, can travel with the ball, can shoot, can create. He has all the tools to become a top top player.

I wish United get him.

Idxomer

I'm a fan of Pogba and his 1st three seasons back he was as good as he could be in inconsistent teams, undoubtedly though will take Grealish from last season and this one over the current version of Pogba.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Bit gutted we missed out on him, but Villa wanted far too much. Their survival was a real sliding doors moment.

James Peril

Bit gutted we missed out on him, but Villa wanted far too much. Their survival was a real sliding doors moment.
Nah, they just wanted what they knew he was worth. Now everybody knows how much he is worth, but sometimes it takes balls to get it over the line. Besides, if you sign a defender like Maguire for 80M, the next club isn’t selling a much more talented attacking player for half the price. I’ve said it a few times before, but that particular signing has haunted us for both Sancho and probably Grealish too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great player. Wouldn't take him over Bruno or Rashford. Plays only in those 2 positions. You don't spend whats needed to get him if its not for a clear automatic spot. Van de Beek is more capable of playing a true CM role behind Bruno than Grealish is. Rashford is our long term star player on the left. Pretty much all there is to it IMO.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Nah, they just wanted what they knew he was worth. Now everybody knows how much he is worth, but sometimes it takes balls to get it over the line. Besides, if you sign a defender like Maguire for 80M, the next club isn’t selling a much more talented attacking player for half the price. I’ve said it a few times before, but that particular signing has haunted us for both Sancho and probably Grealish too.
Yeah he’s worth it, but no one was realistically going to pay it. I said a few times in both the Grealish thread and the Sancho thread, you can’t begrudge Villa or Dortmund for asking what they’re asking. They don’t have a responsibility to sit down at the negotiating table, it’s up to them. But if they went down I reckon he’d have been ours.