Jack Grealish

jamesjimmybyrondean

Don't be pissed we didn't get him. It's not like we didn't even look at him. He was our first choice and Villa put a feck off price tag on him

Glorio

Would've helped us reach the levels we need to get back to, just not worth the money, apparently.

Couldn't say it enough going into the transfer window, Grealish, Partey and Sancho exactly what we need.
I for one think Grealish is Pogba MK 11. Brilliant feet, forward thinking, super skillful, loves to hold on to the ball, sub par workrate, unwilling to help the team defend. We'll have the same puzzle we have with Pogba.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
De Beek can only play in a midfield role which we're well stocked in tbh

Grealish can occupy the attacking wide spots as well as attacking midfield

I would've played him wide left with Rashford up top and Greenwood/Martial on the right
The only position Grealish has shown he can play in which to my knowledge VDB hasn't is wide. VDB has actually shown he's capable of playing the 6, 8 and 10 roles, Grealish the 8, 10 and LW so they're evenly matched as to their versatility

The Urban Goose

Would be a great replacement for Pogba after all once we let our Frenchman go. Think it was just a question of whether Villa go down or stay, was so close. One thing I wanted him here is that we don't have a player with his skillset in our team in midfielders. Dribblers like that are really essential, you can pass it around well but if you don't have a player who can draw a fould or keep it under pressure it can be a tough game. Pogba can do it in advanced position but he's a different kind of dribbler, more powerful while Grealish is smoother, effortlessly glides on the pitch, works a bit harder of the ball too.

Let's see if he can get away from his huge contract he signed
We already have our Pogba replacements in Bruno and DVDB. We need a replacement for Matic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I for one think Grealish is Pogba MK 11. Brilliant feet, forward thinking, super skillful, loves to hold on to the ball, sub par workrate, unwilling to help the team defend. We'll have the same puzzle we have with Pogba.
I like Grealish and wish we'd of signed him but people looking at that mazy run last night, he actually should have passed it to Watkins earlier in the move and Villa would have been in a better position to score

Glorio

Wouldn't Rashford be on the bench anyway? Sterling-Kane-Sancho is the first choice front 3 when everyone's fit.
Not to go off on a tangent but I think Rashford is more of a guaranteed starter than Sancho for England.

Back on topic: As I said when I called Grealish Pogba MK 11 in my earlier post, for all he brings offensively, he doesn't appear to offer much defensive workrate and discipline. And with international football you really need players contributing both ways

Idxomer

Grealiah would be perfect in a diamond on the left of the midfield in a similar position to the one Pogba played against PSG.

JohnnyLaw

I think he’s far more consistant in his actions than Pogba is. The beauty of Grealish is that you know what you’re going to get from him and he’s able to be consistant and creative at the same time whereas Pogba is impossible to rely on although he’s got the highlights to keep you hoping.

I don’t agree that Grealish is unwilling to help out in defence either, he’s got more defensive actions per game than Pogba for example, despite playing in a more advanced role for Villa.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
His own fault, he shouldn't have scored that goal against West Ham.
It's sort of funny. He scored the goal which means he's most likely stuck at Villa for the next few years.

Not that him playing for Villa is a bad thing, just that he'd most likely be playing for a CL club this season if he didn't score that goal.

UbicaMekogSrca

Supports
FK Sloboda
Old man would him. Real Premiership player if you can call player like that.

United58

Almost scored a worldie. Dribbled the whole length of the pitch showing his skill, speed, and strength. Had a goal cleared off the line in the first half too.
Ffs, I'm just after getting him in in Fantasy, got me just 1 point :lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

Was actually my realistic dream signing. Probably more so than Sancho because he just has that something about him. He has that arrogance, the charisma, the style. So good to watch when in full flow.

Started the season fantastically well, registering 4 goals and 4 assists in 6 games so far. Be interesting to see what numbers he can achieve with Villa this season.

GueRed

as well as the talent he has a strong personality on the pitch. (which we lack)

glad people are waking up and recognising what a talent Grealish is

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
as well as the talent he has a strong personality on the pitch. (which we lack)
He's also a 'flair' player who is prepared to - sees it as an obligation to - put in a proper shift for the team. He seems very team spirit-oriented. The sort of player of relatively rare talent who makes less talented players around him want to go the extra mile; his influence can draw out the best in others. He's the 'luxury [a team] can afford', as that Joe Cocker album title almost has it. Villa are fortunate to still have him.

Last edited:

GueRed

He's also a 'flair' player who is prepared to - sees it as an obligation to - put in a proper shift for the team. He seems very team spirit-oriented. The sort of player of relatively rare talent who makes less talented players around him want to go the extra mile; his influence can draw out the best in others. He's the 'luxury [a team] can afford', as that Joe Cocker album title almost has it. Villa are fortunate to still have him.
thats what i love about him. top talent who will also graft for the team.
there's a reason why he is captain

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wondering if we'll regret not paying more for him as opposed to saving and signing VDB instead. He does seem to have more qualities we need. Then again if we were willing to spend more we'd just have signed Sancho.
I said it in the summer. I was a man alone on an island when I said £80m would be a great deal for us whilst everyone else was laughing at the price.

He's on another level to Pogba, Bruno and Donny, is second only to De Bryune as the best midfielder in the league, and, imo, would've been a better signing than Sancho. He's that brilliant.

Sylar

And he's fouled a lot. Imagine him playing for us winning us more penalties

dbs235

People on here were laughing at the thought of signing him in the summer. "Other clubs are signing ______ while we're gonna end up stuck with Jack feckin Grealish" etc.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
People on here were laughing at the thought of signing him in the summer. "Other clubs are signing ______ while we're gonna end up stuck with Jack feckin Grealish" etc.
Brexit signing :wenger:

If he were called Jacques De Grealish, it would've been a different story!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
A part of me thinks he would have been a good signing but the other part of me thinks he'd come and our coaches/tactics would turn him shit and we'd all be looking jealously at whoever is doing well at a different club.

Signings are important but we have bigger issues.

Look at the likes of Bruno, coming in, looking like world-beaters... But slowly they regress to the level of the rest of the players.

I don't think we have a squad full of shit players, we have a squad of players that are playing shit for whatever reason.

Eddy_JukeZ

He would have been an excellent signing.

He's one of the best ball carriers in the world.

Shame it didn't materialize.

ovoxo

If Ole is replaced by Poch, I wonder if we’d reignite our interest. Especially if Pogba leaves. Although, could a 4-3-3 work with him and Bruno with a player like Zakaria behind?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If Ole is replaced by Poch, I wonder if we’d reignite our interest. Especially if Pogba leaves. Although, could a 4-3-3 work with him and Bruno with a player like Zakaria behind?
Ain’t happening now he’s signed that 5 year contract. Only ridiculous money will force them to sell

Walters_19_MuFc

Like Ole, Poch is a 4231 man. As much as I love Grealish, with VdB joining in the summer, it just wouldn't make sense to get him now, even if Pogba was to go.

dal

If pogba leaves we will get grealish, I’m certain of that and what an upgrade we would have.

Great player to have in beating a high press and a low block.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Depends if there is a buyout clause in the contract. There's been no real rumours of one but I find it hard to believe he'd sign a 5 year contract without one.
He’s Villa mad enough to do it. I think like Le Tiss, he’s a one club man till the end

Suvvernmanc

He does love the club, but that's not the reason he's still there. Clubs were simply priced out, i.e. Sancho.
So why sign a new contract? If he had ambitions to win trophies, play in the CL and play for a huge club which he is good enough to do.. and his club prices him far too high for any club to buy him? Why sign a new contract?

I think there might be a clause in that contract or something. He will waste his career if he hasn't.

Walters_19_MuFc

So why sign a new contract? If he had ambitions to win trophies, play in the CL and play for a huge club which he is good enough to do.. and his club prices him far too high for any club to buy him? Why sign a new contract?

I think there might be a clause in that contract or something. He will waste his career if he hasn't.
Out of respect and possibly wanting to get his boyhood club more money. Many players sign new contracts only to go that same or the following season. It means nothing! See Maguire.

Listen to his interview and tell me he wasn't open to options.

Skip to 2:50.

Most people in that situation would have said no if they loved the club so much. You could argue that he was hesitant until he knew for certain they were staying up, but I fail to believe that a player like Grealish wouldn't have made the step up if teams went after him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Should splash 80m on him instead of 120m on Sancho next summer.

What a fecking player.