g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jack Grenglish

Ekeke

Cleverley never had the one important thing this kid has and that is the ability to beat a defender with the ball at his feet. Clev was never one for going on mazy dribbling runs, this kid can do that as well as pass and move. Quite different players really.
When he was playing wide for Watford he definitely had a few moments when he went past players and thats when people started to suggest he could be an English Iniesta in style. But yes in reality Grealish looks a lot more comfortable dribbling

Ekeke

I dont see anything Ronaldoish about him, but he had another good game. Good young player who can create

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I dont see anything Ronaldoish about him, but he had another good game. Good young player who can create
I agree with you in that they're totally different type of players but I get where Raoul is coming from, more the image they have and the way they carry themselves but in terms of their actual attributes and what they bring to the game, it is very different.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Seems to have a lot of confidence, stands players up and mugs them off with ease. Looks a good player, lets see how he develops.

EDIT: I think the CR7 link maybe his cockyness/confidence to take players on

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Had no idea his range of passing was as good as it is. That pass near the end for Agbonlahor was mustard.

Flying_Heckfish

Plays with confidence at the moment, a bit like Adnan last year. Let's wait and see how he gets on next season. Certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Devil may care

He's a very interesting prospect, it will be a challenge to add goals to his game next season.

bpet15

Been really impressed with this kid - looks primed to become a star.

Decotron

Means nothing these days.
Seems that way alright :( FIFA need to sort the whole thing out once and for all (I do think Ireland/NI is still the exception for obvious reasons).

There's a very good chance Grealish will play for Ireland's U21 in the next few months and then go on to get capped as a full international by England in the same period. Just seems a bit ridiculous really.

My opinion isn't founded out of frustration at Ireland losing out, I dont really want players who's heart's aren't in it, Id wish him the best of luck with England tbh. Its just the loopholes that currently exist are laughable really.

Getsme

Seems that way alright :( FIFA need to sort the whole thing out once and for all (I do think Ireland/NI is still the exception for obvious reasons).

There's a very good chance Grealish will play for Ireland's U21 in the next few months and then go on to get capped as a full international by England in the same period. Just seems a bit ridiculous really.

My opinion isn't founded out of frustration at Ireland losing out, I dont really want players who's heart's aren't in it, Id wish him the best of luck with England tbh. Its just the loopholes that currently exist are laughable really.
The simple solution is you have to pick your Assosiation by the time you reach under 21 level.
Sadly international football is becoming a joke.

Decotron

The simple solution is you have to pick your Assosiation by the time you reach under 21 level.
Sadly international football is becoming a joke.
Yeah something like that would work for me. I think by the age of 21 (which still counts as U21 in a footballing sense) any individual is old enough to make the decision. Waiting any longer than that is obviously for other reasons.

Obviously some movement to be allowed at underage level but only for the right reasons.....

Classical Mechanic

It is complicated for him in fairness. He was probably brought p with a strong connection to his Irish roots through his family whilst being brought up in English culture all his life, as a result he probably identifies with English culture more.

It is hard not to be cynical however, with all the delays you do tend to think that he is seeing what his prospects are with England before he commits.

Decotron

Quote from his Glealish Snr. this morning

“Jack is taking the year out to concentrate on Aston Villa and that decision has worked out well.
“It would be the same answer if England were to make an approach. We are being consistent on this.
“Aston Villa are still not safe from relegation. So all of Jack’s focus is on the final three Premier League games and then the FA Cup final on May 30.
“If the team had nothing to play for at this stage of the season, then we might have thought more about it. But now is not the time to be deciding on an international career.
“Although Jack has started the last six matches for Villa, he faces major competition for his place.
“The likes of Andreas Weimann and Scott Sinclair can’t even get in the Villa team right now. The side is playing so well and getting wins. Nothing can be a distraction to keeping his place.
“Had Jack taken up Martin’s invitation, the level of attention on him during the run-in would have been enormous.”
What certainly buried any prospect of Grealish answering Ireland’s call is the fact England were the team against whom his debut would come.
“Being English-born and having Irish relatives, Jack would probably get booed by both sets of fans if he played in their meeting next month,” said Kevin.
“Jack will complete the club season - hopefully with an FA Cup winners’ medal - before taking a break in the summer. Only after that will we sit down and assess the international situation.”

tippex

Quote from his Glealish Snr. this morning

“Jack is taking the year out to concentrate on Aston Villa and that decision has worked out well.
“It would be the same answer if England were to make an approach. We are being consistent on this.
“Aston Villa are still not safe from relegation. So all of Jack’s focus is on the final three Premier League games and then the FA Cup final on May 30.
“If the team had nothing to play for at this stage of the season, then we might have thought more about it. But now is not the time to be deciding on an international career.
“Although Jack has started the last six matches for Villa, he faces major competition for his place.
“The likes of Andreas Weimann and Scott Sinclair can’t even get in the Villa team right now. The side is playing so well and getting wins. Nothing can be a distraction to keeping his place.
“Had Jack taken up Martin’s invitation, the level of attention on him during the run-in would have been enormous.”
What certainly buried any prospect of Grealish answering Ireland’s call is the fact England were the team against whom his debut would come.
“Being English-born and having Irish relatives, Jack would probably get booed by both sets of fans if he played in their meeting next month,” said Kevin.
“Jack will complete the club season - hopefully with an FA Cup winners’ medal - before taking a break in the summer. Only after that will we sit down and assess the international situation.”
In fairness you cannot blame him for that. We all know that club football is the priority for all players and he is 100% right to focus on that at the moment.
Considering he has done so well with the underage teams and wone player of the year I would still think he is more likely to choose Ireland but only himself and his family knows to be honest.

Decotron

In fairness you cannot blame him for that. We all know that club football is the priority for all players and he is 100% right to focus on that at the moment.
Considering he has done so well with the underage teams and wone player of the year I would still think he is more likely to choose Ireland but only himself and his family knows to be honest.
Id like to think the same myself. The media circus isn't helping.Apparently Brian O Driscoll has waded in and reckons he shouldn't get called up ever again. Fu*k off BOD.

I suppose the ball sort of in England's corner now although the father says they'd also have turned them down at the moment.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Sure if he doesnt want to answer the call for international football then he should be left decide. Seems like he has made the right decision judging by the stupid social media abuse. Hope he keeps playing well for whoever he chooses.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Not sure if its the short socks but he really reminds me of Hleb in the way he glides past players with ease. I always rated Hleb, went completely missing at Barca though.

Reds-of-Ulster

So you want to have it one way for everyone apart from yourself? :rolleyes:

You are complaining about players who play for youth teams of one nation then leave to play for another, calling it ridiculous, do you know how many players have played for Northern Ireland, at youth level, and even senior level, then moved to the Republic of Ireland? I bet you wouldn't complain about that.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
One to watch next season. Not getting carried away with the current hype over him yet though. He's got potential and I like his positive approach.

Decotron

So you want to have it one way for everyone apart from yourself? :rolleyes:

You are complaining about players who play for youth teams of one nation then leave to play for another, calling it ridiculous, do you know how many players have played for Northern Ireland, at youth level, and even senior level, then moved to the Republic of Ireland? I bet you wouldn't complain about that.
Thats a totally different situation owing to the Good Friday Agreement. Its also a 2 way thing, see Alex Bruce.

Not sure what it has to do with Jack Grealish. :rolleyes:

Reds-of-Ulster

Thats a totally different situation owing to the Good Friday Agreement. Its also a 2 way thing, see Alex Bruce.

Not sure what it has to do with Jack Grealish. :rolleyes:
It isn't really that two way. Most Northern Ireland fans don't want Bruce playing for NI.

And does the GFA make it okay for a player to play for Northern Ireland his whole youth career, taking up valuable resources, then feck off when he wants? No.

So diddums if you are the one who loses out, the RoI have certainly had a lot more in their favour than against it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Patrick Barclay was pretty opinionated on him earlier today (on Sky Sports). Basically said "he's english, his parents are english, he should not even have an option to play for anyone else".

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I'm sure Patrick Barclay says the same about Raheem Sterling?

Getsme

Patrick Barclay was pretty opinionated on him earlier today (on Sky Sports). Basically said "he's english, his parents are english, he should not even have an option to play for anyone else".
I actually agree with him, the parent rule is fair enough but the grandparent rule should be abolished Imo.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I reckon that if your mom and dad are Irish and you happen to be born in England you'd count as Irish too. Not sure about those grandparents rules but his dad seems Irish enough to me for him to qualify.

IrishLegend

I reckon that if your mom and dad are Irish and you happen to be born in England you'd count as Irish too. Not sure about those grandparents rules but his dad seems Irish enough to me for him to qualify.
If I was ever to declare for an International side (don't worry it's never gonna happen) it'd definitely be Ireland despite only having one Irish parent and if I had kids I'd definitely want them supporting Ireland not England.

There seems to be a weird thing that if you're white it's not OK to associate with your heritage, when the same people would have no problem with someone who's 4th / 5th generation British Indian supporting India for example.