Jack Wilshere | I should be in the England squad

goons

Supports
Arsenal
I'm happy Keane went out and said that about him. He really needs to get his feet on the ground and realize this club have given him a lot more then he have given us back so far. I would also really like to know what exactly his wage demands are because it's ridiculous he haven't signed yet.

haram

He has been ridiculously overrated for years - on his day he can be a decent player but nothing more than that. He is bang average.
That's the truth. Arsenal fans have seriously overhyped him, especially this year.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
So he picked up Wilsheres worst game this season to comment about him. Where was he after the Chelsea match.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So he picked up Wilsheres worst game this season to comment about him. Where was he after the Chelsea match.
To be fair was Keane in the studio for that? He can only comment on the games he is there to comment on. Wilshere is hilariously overrated - don't you agree?

Classical Mechanic

To be fair was Keane in the studio for that? He can only comment on the games he is there to comment on. Wilshere is hilariously overrated - don't you agree?
I don't think he is overrated. He was a top level prospect at 16 but has hasn't realised anything like his potential. No one rates him as a top player I don't think. He doesn't even get in the England squad currently despite a lack of options in his position.

In his defence, he has had an abysmal record with injury, someone posted the other day how many games he has missed as a percentage of his career and it was a crazy amount, even compared to other injury prone players.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Where were all the Arsenal fans when Wilshere was at Bournemouth?
Wilshere was great at Bournemouth, as anyone who was actually following him would tell you.
Probably watching the game at home as it wasn't a European game, which he is a pundit for.
If he watched that game then why's he basing his evaluation of the player on yesterday's match when the entire team was dogshite.
Wilshere's been fine when played at CM. Wenger's been trying him out at AM where he's having some teething problems, probably to try and fit both him and Ramsey in the team together. Still was the only player doing anything of note against Spurs mind.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Exactly, which was my point too. He watched yesterday's game therefore he can only comment when he is actually in the studio to do so.

Wilshere was great at Bournemouth, as anyone who was actually following him would tell you.

If he watched that game then why's he basing his evaluation of the player on yesterday's match when the entire team was dogshite.
I don't think he was great at Bournemouth. I thought he was alright, nothing particularly brilliant.

I don't know if he watched the Chelsea game, I only know he watched yesterday's game. And when he says he's overrated, he's obviously not just basing that off of yesterday's game. That's obviously his opinion of Wilshere overall as a player.

Robbie Boy

The overrating of Wilshere since his return to the Arsenal has side has been genuinely hilarious and I'm someone who used to rate him high highly!

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I don't know if he watched the Chelsea game, I only know he watched yesterday's game. And when he says he's overrated, he's obviously not just basing that off of yesterday's game. That's obviously his opinion of Wilshere overall as a player.
I understand you're trying to say that he didn't have an opportunity to express an opinion after the chelsea match, my point however is that he should've remembered his performance that day while commenting yesterday after a match where wilshere was playing in an unfamiliar position in a team which barely bothered to show up. If he saw the Chelsea match - either of them, he would've known what Wilshere was capable of. I don't like people who've already formed their opinion about players and wait for the players to have a poor match before trotting out their opinion. This was wilshere against chelsea:

haram

I understand you're trying to say that he didn't have an opportunity to express an opinion after the chelsea match, my point however is that he should've remembered his performance that day while commenting yesterday after a match where wilshere was playing in an unfamiliar position in a team which barely bothered to show up. If he saw the Chelsea match - either of them, he would've known what Wilshere was capable of. I don't like people who've already formed their opinion about players and wait for the players to have a poor match before trotting out their opinion. This was wilshere against chelsea:
He could have seen that game and still think he is massively overrated.

SwSw

Any chance we sign this guy?

A left footed CM who can slot in beside Matic and Pogba perhaps?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know what you're saying. All I was meaning that he might have thought before last night's game that Wilshere is overrated, but he hasn't been in the media until last night to make the point.

He could have seen that game and still think he is massively overrated.
Basically this.

BarcaSpurs

We can easily give him that. Garbage like Walcott is earning similar amounts. There is also no way any Arsenal player is going to United while Mourinho is the United manager. And neither have United done any better than us in the league for nearly half a decade now barring this year. This isn't Fergie's title winning team nor is the RVP scenario. The only rival now who can poach any of our top level players are City.

Contracts are not signed in a day.

''
"I definitely want to be here. I want to help Arsenal get to where they should be," Wilshere, who made his Gunners debut in 2008, told Sky Sports.

"We just have to sort things out and I'm sure that will happen in the next couple of weeks and it will be sorted."

These were his words. Make of them what you will.
:nervous:

RooneyLegend

He's talking rubbish. It's thinking like that, that'll point you into the direction as to he wasn't going to make it big in the managerial world.

POF

Wasn't he dropped a number of times during his Bournemouth spell and rarely played 90 minutes?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Wasn't he dropped a number of times during his Bournemouth spell and rarely played 90 minutes?
He was dropped because they were being extra careful with his injuries. He wasn't dropped because of his form, I was following Bournemouth fan sites and they were raving about him even though it was obvious that he was playing well within himself. He's been great whenever he's played this season as well, until Wenger started his wilshere at AM experiment.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
He was dropped because they were being extra careful with his injuries. He wasn't dropped because of his form, I was following Bournemouth fan sites and they were raving about him even though it was obvious that he was playing well within himself. He's been great whenever he's played this season as well, until Wenger started his wilshere at AM experiment.
Not true in the last 3rd of the season. Bournemouth decided to play two up front and Wilshere barely played, nothing to do with injury management.

MAME DIOUF 32

Little Jack Memeshire has consistently been booked more than he's scored or assisted goals. He looks pretty on the ball and delivers very little. He's the embodiment of latter day Arsene Wenger football - results are unimportant so long as you look flashy and can blame the referee. He'll still be The Future of English Football™ when he's drawing his pension.

RichMet

Supports
Liverpool
Well as a Liverpool fan I will have him as a free transfer if the option was there, if we could play him as a deep lying midfielder. Mainly as he is better than our current options, especially as Can is off to Juve.

Good player who has been badly hampered by injury.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Using the term "great" when talking about him is such an error, he has never been great before, and frankly I can't see that ever being the case.

prath92

Tbf not a lot of people rate him. They probably think he is England’s best technical midfielder which probably he is given the other options are Henderson dier Livermore and all.

montpelier

And when he plays, he does turn up.

I can't stand him & this idea that's he's an amazing talent is a bit flawed but credit where it's due.

Also, he's much better than Xhaka.

goons

Supports
Arsenal
Using the term "great" when talking about him is such an error, he has never been great before, and frankly I can't see that ever being the case.
Not really. Wilshere was exactly that. A great or I would even say outstanding talent. Really one of the best England have produced in recent years. You should go back and watch his game against Barcelona as a 19 year old or whatever his age was at the time and what players like Lampard was saying about him back then when he was breaking into the England squad.

His problem is that he suffered a serious injury record at a young age which prevented his development and actually made him a worse player then he was when he emerged. But I agree that we are probably never going to see now what kind of player he could've become.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROFLUTION

Some of his decision-making in that video is awful. Specially in first half - passing into stupid areas, bad tackling that could be avoided with intelligence.

Good runs and goal though - in the end that is what matters.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Not really. Wilshere was exactly that. A great or I would even say outstanding talent. Really one of the best England have produced in recent years. You should go back and watch his game against Barcelona as a 19 year old or whatever his age was at the time and what players like Lampard was saying about him back then when he was breaking into the England squad.

His problem is that he suffered a serious injury record at a young age which prevented his development and actually made him a worse player then he was when he emerged. But I agree that we are probably never going to see now what kind of player he could've become.
Oh my, not that Barcelona match nonsense yet again?!! So one above average performance in a career and that makes a player a great player does it?!

Sorry but no it doesn't, you need to be far more consistent than that, which he really has not been.
The lad has a terrible scoring record, has a poor assist record, so I really do not get the hype.
Lingard has a far better record then him, and is far more talented then him.

United never give up

Oh my, not that Barcelona match nonsense yet again?!! So one above average performance in a career and that makes a player a great player does it?!

Sorry but no it doesn't, you need to be far more consistent than that, which he really has not been.
The lad has a terrible scoring record, has a poor assist record, so I really do not get the hype.
Lingard has a far better record then him, and is far more talented then him.
There are a handful of 19 year olds in the history of football who have performed to the level he did in that match when you consider he was against the greatest team in the history of club football

Thats why there was hype. He was that good, and this is coming from someone who no longer rates him

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
There are a handful of 19 year olds in the history of football who have performed to the level he did in that match when you consider he was against the greatest team in the history of club football

Thats why there was hype. He was that good, and this is coming from someone who no longer rates him
Anyone can have a one off singular good game against any opponent, doesn't mean that such a player should always be rated high because of it.
It seems as if he is still living off of that one singular performance however many years later it is now.
He really isn't anything special, and I don't get why some people still seem to think he is a great player or was such.
One swallow a summer does not make.
Please tell me what he is or was great at, scoring, nope, assisting, nope, tackling, nope, so what else is there for a midfielder to be good at to make them great?? Passing the ball sideways?
I just don't get what people see in him, or did see in him.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He had huge potential but never developed properly. Too easy to cruise at Arsenal and take the easy money.

He should have gone and played in Europe, his style would suite Spanish or Italian football and I think it would have made him a much better player.

Going on loan to Bournemouth sums it up really. These days it seems hardly any British players go test themselves in the other top European leagues. Too much money in England and it's too easy for them to stay on the bench and stagnate.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
He had huge potential but never developed properly. Too easy to cruise at Arsenal and take the easy money.

He should have gone and played in Europe, his style would suite Spanish or Italian football and I think it would have made him a much better player.

Going on loan to Bournemouth sums it up really. These days it seems hardly any British players go test themselves in the other top European leagues. Too much money in England and it's too easy for them to stay on the bench and stagnate.
When you say he had huge potential why is that? What was or is he good at? I honestly don't get it.

I do agree with you about players going on loan to European clubs though, they are certainly missing out on huge opportunities there by not doing so.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Anyone can have a one off singular good game against any opponent, doesn't mean that such a player should always be rated high because of it.
It seems as if he is still living off of that one singular performance however many years later it is now.
He really isn't anything special, and I don't get why some people still seem to think he is a great player or was such.
One swallow a summer does not make.
Please tell me what he is or was great at, scoring, nope, assisting, nope, tackling, nope, so what else is there for a midfielder to be good at to make them great?? Passing the ball sideways?
I just don't get what people see in him, or did see in him.
He usually plays at CM and not in the final third, his job isn't usually to score goals and assists but to get the ball to people who can. He's world class at moving the ball vertically and retaining possession. You can think of him as a Dembele with lesser physical strength but with better end product. If you check the video I shared earlier, he started the play that got us the equaliser, thats his job, the goal was just a bonus.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Not the first promising player to fail badly at Arsenal. Wenger has lost his touch with the youth.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Not the first promising player to fail badly at Arsenal. Wenger has lost his touch with the youth.
Wilshere's failure to reached the promised heights is more to do with his injuries than any poor coaching. He could still be a very valuable player for us mind, hope we get him to extend. And until a Wenger coached player goes onto leave Arsenal and become world class, you're statement about Wenger not knowing his way with youth doesn't have any supporting basis. If a youth player doesn't succeed at Arsenal then they weren't very good to begin with. Wenger is the very trusting with his youth players, almost infuriatingly so. You can accuse him of indulging a player even after its obvious that the player is mediocre, but you can't accuse him of the opposite thing. Both Gibbs and Walcott would've been shed much earlier at a bigger club.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
When you say he had huge potential why is that? What was or is he good at? I honestly don't get it.
He's always had great technical ability. Just seems a headless chicken a lot of the time. Motivation and smoking also an issue. He would have developed much better in la Liga imo.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
He's always had great technical ability. Just seems a headless chicken a lot of the time. Motivation and smoking also an issue. He would have developed much better in la Liga imo.
I saw him as having a sort of Napoleon complex to him, people talk about that one Barcelona game as if he was outstanding and on a level Messi could never hope to reach which is a bit over the top, and to still be using it as an example of his talents is absurd really.

He is talked up purely because he is English, that is it, I fail to see what he adds or brings to a team wanting to achieve anything of note.

He runs around a bit, gets into arguments, but other than that??
Not for me, Arsenal can keep him, and the longer that they do, and the more often that they play him, the less we will have to ever concern ourselves with them, as he simply adds nothing that we really have to worry about.