Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Spot on. Also, (and I keep repeating this on here) - it's been reported that Rashford is still carrying a shoulder injury and may need surgery after the Euros. He could miss part of next season - so it's good that Sancho can play well on the left.

Imagine our front three options next season:

Sancho - Cavani - Rashford

Greenwood - Cavani - Sancho

Sancho - Greenwood - Rashford

Greenwood - Cavani - Rashford

EDIT: I've just realised I've not even considered Martial - there's even more options!
I kinda want to see

Sancho Martial Amad

just to see the passing triangles and slipped balls in. Add Shaw, Pogba, VDB in there and it’ll look pretty interesting.

Edit: just to clarify I’m not saying that should be our starting attack. I’m just saying I’d want to see what that lot produce on the odd occasion due to the way they play as they are probably our best in possesion and playing in tight spaces.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hmmm that puts a slightly different perspective on this one for me.

Rashford is poor on the right side. At the same time Rashford is likely to score more goals than Sancho so we need him in his best position (LW)

I think Ole would play Sancho right side for this reason, but worrying he’s been better on the left though.
This is the one thing that bothers me about this transfer too.

People can argue that he's also good on the right and that Rashford needs competition all they like. At the end of the day it's still a situation where our record signing won't be playing in his best position if we play our first choice 11, because Rashford is absolutely part of that.

After all these years crying out for a RW, the RW we sign actually being a LW is very us.

Judas

Open to offers
He's very productive on either wing. Ole likes us to be fluid and have wingers who switch during games seamlessly anyway. I don't see a reason for the worry or concern.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
To be fair the bid is the very last step in the negotiation process nowadays. Seems like we're trying to agree a fee with Dortmund first and then the bid will be a formality.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We will bid when we know its going to be accepted. It's likely a formality in the final stage of the transfer I reckon.

Especially when you consider personal terms were agreed since last summer and that the clubs are talking efficiently this time.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
personal terms have apparently been agreed for over nearly a year now. Once we agree a price, then the bid will go in.

Andersons Dietician

Bruno as a ball-playing CB then?
Mixing cocktails on the bench more like taking some much needed rest.

just to clarify I’m not saying that should be our starting attack. I’m just saying I’d want to see what that lot produce due to the way they play as they are probably our best in possesion and playing in tight spaces.

Last edited:

Widow

No, he mostly plays on the left these days, occasionally switching to the right.
He’s been much better and more productive on the left
I think Ole would play Sancho right side for this reason, but worrying he’s been better on the left though.
I wish people would stop pushing this narrative.

AML- 15 games, 9 goals, 8 assists

AMR- 14 games, 5 goals, 9 assists

Similar numbers on both sides, he can play both very well!

Andersons Dietician

This is the one thing that bothers me about this transfer too.

People can argue that he's also good on the right and that Rashford needs competition all they like. At the end of the day it's still a situation where our record signing won't be playing in his best position if we play our first choice 11, because Rashford is absolutely part of that.

After all these years crying out for a RW, the RW we sign actually being a LW is very us.
I think it’s hard to say LW is his best position as when he was featured more on the right for Dortmund he was a sensation so it’s not like he doesn’t have form there. He’s brilliant from both positions and this year he’s basically popped up all over the place but I would certainly say has produced more from the left this term.

Just think he’ll be used predominantly on the right but brought over to the left to rest Rashford. If Rashford is having surgery and likely to miss the start of the season I suspect he or Martial will be starting there.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Sancho is obviously the predominantly going to be on the right but of course his versatility will come in handy so probably see him pop up on the left often too.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sancho and Varane and I think we're in with a chance winning Champions League next season.
Definitely not without a proper CDM in my opinion. I wouldn't mind even Bissouma just to bolster the option we can turn to. Fred and McTominay let us down on far too many occasions.

arnie_ni

How long do we think it will be before we’re all complaining that we are playing him on the left, moaning that Rashford isn’t playing well enough on the right and it should be Greenwood starting on the right if Sancho is playing his best football from the left?
Came to post this. If rashford doesn't improve on his end of season form, sancho will be left wing and greenwood right by mid season.

Let's just hope it really was injuries slowing him down.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sancho is obviously the predominantly going to be on the right but of course his versatility will come in handy so probably see him pop up on the left often too.
Yep, when Rashford needs a rest we can play him left and Greenwood or Amad right.

Not having the drop in quality really helps.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not with a Fred and Mctominay double pivot.
I hope for a CM as well but we're hardly linked with any and Sancho + Trippier + a CB is already going to be around £150m net spend

I just hope a competent CB partner for Maguire means a more adventurous midfield

Andersons Dietician

Martial is nearly third choice for that central position at this point, and no bruno?
I had edited my post to say not as a starting 11. Just on the odd occasion to see the kind of football they would produce as for me they are the best in possesion excluding Mata we have in the team.

If I’m picking a starting 11 next season then it’s probably something like this.

DDG
WBS-Varane-Maguire-Shaw
????
????——?????
Greenwood -Cavani -Sancho
Bottled making a controversial decision. Don’t think Bruno and Pogba will be good as two 8’s so I kind of want VDB in there with one of them, but I feel like Pogba would be better overall for how I want to play but then how do you deny what Bruno brings to the squad.

Last edited:

diarm

I hope for a CM as well but we're hardly linked with any and Sancho + Trippier + a CB is already going to be around £150m net spend

I just hope a competent CB partner for Maguire means a more adventurous midfield
Varane at 35, Trippier at 10 and Grealish at 80 makes £125m gross. Sell a few players and there's no reason we couldn't spend another £30-35m on a midfielder. Personally I'd love to see us go for Locatelli.

mav_9me

No, he mostly plays on the left these days, occasionally switching to the right.
He’s been much better and more productive on the left.

According to the BBC, £11m of what we pay to BvB will go to Man City. The sell-on fee included in his transfer from the Bitters to Dortmund.

Why would there be a sell on fee in a free transfer?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Sancho and Varane and I think we're in with a chance winning Champions League next season.
Nah. Our starting 11 has rarely been the issue. Its the lack of squad depth that's the problem that limits us to only a limited style of play.
We wont be buying the squad depth like City or Chelsea. It will be built on academy products and kids with the occasional required transfers.

We are a season away from being consistent ie squad depth --- with the academy kids and new transfers gaining some more experience, and only then we can properly compete.

Judas

Open to offers
We would have been in with a chance of winning the CL with our current squad if they'd not bottled it to be fair, on its day it was more than good enough, bloody Chelsea won it for heavens sake.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I expect we would regularly rotate between our main three options - Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho.

--------------------Cavani*----------------
--Rashford-----Bruno-----Sancho--

--Sancho-----Bruno-----Greenwood--

--Rashford-----Bruno-----Greenwood--

*If Martial gets back into form he will also regularly play as striker again.

It gives us great options to cover for both injuries or poor form, plus just general rotation so nobody plays too much and burns out or has to play through injuries (looking at Rashford in particular). Throw in Pogba, Martial and Amad also hopefully being quality options and we should be set going forward, although obviously there are question marks over each of those three atm. We can also occasionally play all three, with either Greenwood or Rashford playing up front or Sancho may end up being our best back-up for Bruno.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
He aint that good imo. Still very inconsistent and very often invisible during matches. He has good stats, but so had Kagawa and Mkhitarjan. Players that fits into Dortmunds system tend to not fit into ours. Grealish would be a much better fit imo.

UTD_Since_1978

I kinda want to see

Sancho Martial Amad

just to see the passing triangles and slipped balls in. Add Shaw, Pogba, VDB in there and it’ll look pretty interesting.
Only if we see Martial performing at his best, which is quite rare, rarer than seeing Pogba at his best & that's really saying something.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why are Dortmund so hard to deal with? They’ve made a massive profit no matter how much there getting of us so why not just let the player move on to a bigger club and show what he can do in a better league! Can’t stand teams that are holding there players back from a move to a bigger club.

Ranchero

The elephant in the room is whether Sancho is good value even at £90m when there are areas of the team we need strengthening which are a bigger priority - central defence, box to box creative midfield, striker. Sancho would operate in a position where Greenwood is excelling.
Sancho can play on the left but that is Rashford's domain.
So how does he fit? And this is a similar question that has been raised with our transfer dealings before.
I ask myself will that £90m make us significantly (in other words £90m) better than we currently are and would it be money well spent and i fear the answer is 'no'.
But open to persuasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.