Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick7

Breaking teams down has been our biggest issue for 2 years now. Why do people keep forgetting that? Hell, our last game was us losing a final because we couldn’t break Villarreal down and get a second goal.

Ranchero

I expect we would regularly rotate between our main three options - Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho.

--------------------Cavani*----------------
--Rashford-----Bruno-----Sancho--

--Sancho-----Bruno-----Greenwood--

--Rashford-----Bruno-----Greenwood--

*If Martial gets back into form he will also regularly play as striker again.

It gives us great options to cover for both injuries or poor form, plus just general rotation so nobody plays too much and burns out or has to play through injuries (looking at Rashford in particular). Throw in Pogba, Martial and Amad also hopefully being quality options and we should be set going forward, although obviously there are question marks over each of those three atm. We can also occasionally play all three, with either Greenwood or Rashford playing up front or Sancho may end up being our best back-up for Bruno.
Sancho does not operate like Bruno. I really don't understand the logic of Sancho at £90m when there are bigger priorities. Haaland or Kane make more sense but will be setting their sights higher.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Varane at 35, Trippier at 10 and Grealish at 80 makes £125m gross. Sell a few players and there's no reason we couldn't spend another £30-35m on a midfielder. Personally I'd love to see us go for Locatelli.
except it's Sancho at 80m, Trippier at 20m and Varane/any other CB at between 50-65m

Withnail

The elephant in the room is whether Sancho is good value even at £90m when there are areas of the team we need strengthening which are a bigger priority - central defence, box to box creative midfield, striker. Sancho would operate in a position where Greenwood is excelling.
Sancho can play on the left but that is Rashford's domain.
So how does he fit? And this is a similar question that has been raised with our transfer dealings before.
I ask myself will that £90m make us significantly (in other words £90m) better than we currently are and would it be money well spent and i fear the answer is 'no'.
But open to persuasion.
The thing is towards the end of the season Greenwood was playing well and scoring goals but he's not excelling at RW. We have no width when he or Rashford play there and AWB is often isolated when we switch the play over to him.

We attack down our left side most of the time which makes things easier for the opposition and makes us more predicable and thus it's harder to for us to break down defences.

Nick7

The thing is towards the end of the season Greenwood was playing well and scoring goals but he's not excelling at RW. We have no width when he or Rashford play there and AWB is often isolated when we switch the play over to him.

We attack down our left side most of the time which makes things easier for the opposition and makes us more predicable and thus it's harder to for us to break down defences.
Yeah I think Greenwood is a great player and has enormous talent. But he’s not a great right winger. He does the job and does it well because he’s such a good player though. His long term future should be as a striker.

stw2022

Greenwood has killer instinct he needs to be in front of goal. Hopefully Sancho can add quality to our wide play.

Ranchero

I agree. We are two left sided but that is more because Wan Bissaka is like a rabbit in the headlights going forward on the right while Shaw actually offers something on the left.
Wan-Bissaka's one killer trick is tackling. But it isnt enough and the idea he could play central defence is mind boggling. He just hasnt the positional sense to play there right now.

diarm

except it's Sancho at 80m, Trippier at 20m and Varane/any other CB at between 50-65m
I was sure the reports over the last week or two have quoted those figures for Trippier and Varane. Even if you add another £40m onto that £125m figure, you'd have to recoup only £15m in sales to reach your net spend figure of £150m.

Ranchero

Greenwood has killer instinct he needs to be in front of goal. Hopefully Sancho can add quality to our wide play.
I heard lots of talk of this killer instinct but it hasnt really been revealed in any consistent basis. He certainly doesnt take Cavani' s place. And looks more comfortable on the right side of the attack. We definitely need to see more from him but he is still very young.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ronaldo did OK playing the peak of his career as a LWF. The game has changed, modern forwards find their space coming from wide positions rather than leading the line.

Withnail

I agree. We are two left sided but that is more because Wan Bissaka is like a rabbit in the headlights going forward on the right while Shaw actually offers something on the left.
Wan-Bissaka's one killer trick is tackling. But it isnt enough and the idea he could play central defence is mind boggling. He just hasnt the positional sense to play there right now.
There is a bit of that with Wan Bissaka but in a few games towards the end of the season I noticed Pogba switch the play from the overloaded left to AWB and none of our players were near him to offer an option for a 1-2 or an overlap or anything. So he had to slow it down and lay it off and we rotated the ball back across to the left.

I think that pairing a proper RW, rather than an inside forward, with a Right back like AWB would make that side more effective.

Nick7

I can't believe it's 2021, we've had no RW for near on a decade and people still don't think its a priority.
It was the same shit last year. Even though Greenwood is good there, we have literally no one else. Amad hasn’t shown much to be a consistent starter, James is shocking on the right. Rashford is shocking on the right. Mata is done. But it’s not a priority, just keep the black hole there and continue to avoid building up through the right.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How long do we think it will be before we’re all complaining that we are playing him on the left, moaning that Rashford isn’t playing well enough on the right and it should be Greenwood starting on the right if Sancho is playing his best football from the left?
That will happen on Day 1 when he starts on the left

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Im not sure Greenwood would fit best as a striker. He is not good at finding spaces in a tight defense or be at the right spot at the right time. He is fast, can dribble (need to develop further) and has a very good shot. I want him to be our Salah.

Thats why i want us to drop Sancho and go all in on Grealish. Grealish - Cavani- Greenwood, would work much better than Rashford-Cavani-Sancho imo. Rashford would also get plenty of game time as he can play every front 3 position and we need guality on the bench as well.

stw2022

I heard lots of talk of this killer instinct but it hasnt really been revealed in any consistent basis. He certainly doesnt take Cavani' s place. And looks more comfortable on the right side of the attack. We definitely need to see more from him but he is still very young.
He’s not been given a run in the team in role on consistent basis though. And supply from wide has been pretty awful, again something Sancho will hopefully improve

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I hope for a CM as well but we're hardly linked with any and Sancho + Trippier + a CB is already going to be around £150m net spend

I just hope a competent CB partner for Maguire means a more adventurous midfield
Yeah I agree, and it's quite a big ask for next season but let's hope Garner can give some good competition.

3vra

The elephant in the room is whether Sancho is good value even at £90m when there are areas of the team we need strengthening which are a bigger priority - central defence, box to box creative midfield, striker. Sancho would operate in a position where Greenwood is excelling.
So how does he fit? And this is a similar question that has been raised with our transfer dealings before.
I ask myself will that £90m make us significantly (in other words £90m) better than we currently are and would it be money well spent and i fear the answer is 'no'.
But open to persuasion.
because we need depth and if Rashford is playing badly as he was in the final we can switch our good (poor playing)player for another good player instead of thinking what should give us more chances to score ? Hoping that somehow he make sth magic even if he was poor for 90 minutes or bring James hoping for the same except instead of magical moment hoping to not feck up some Easy chances and just pass good ball as he did to Elanga’s goal.

What is more Rashford need rest and if he gets that operation we need great LW player from the start of the League.

Also not being sure about your place in the team would bring that fire he used to have back, because that version of him is not good enough.

If Greenwood gets injured we have noone ready there to play. Amad is still a little away but looks promising, Mata, James or Rashford playing there is just wrong.

And still our best player for that spot is striker and as Ole said would be slowly moved to played there.

Also playing with two players who are more scorers than providers is not ideal. Rashford on the left with Sancho on the right or Sancho on the left with Greenwood on the right should gives us more balance.

IMO we played our best football with Pogba on the left and Greenwood on right, because we were more creative and still have someone to finish our chances.

Of course we need more upgrade to challange for trophies but having Sancho is must have.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Varane at 35, Trippier at 10 and Grealish at 80 makes £125m gross. Sell a few players and there's no reason we couldn't spend another £30-35m on a midfielder. Personally I'd love to see us go for Locatelli.
Locatelli would be a great signing for us and one that you’d think shouldn’t cost to much. I’d like Varane and trippier but would prefer sancho to grealish just because I think he’s more versatile and can play across the front 3, id sign grealish if we sell pogba.

mav_9me

He aint that good imo. Still very inconsistent and very often invisible during matches. He has good stats, but so had Kagawa and Mkhitarjan. Players that fits into Dortmunds system tend to not fit into ours. Grealish would be a much better fit imo.
Sigh.

Adcuth

He’s not been given a run in the team in role on consistent basis though. And supply from wide has been pretty awful, again something Sancho will hopefully improve
This. You can't develop as a striker if you don't play as a striker. I can really see ole wanting to bring in a right winger so that he is able to play greenwood up top more. Him rotating with Cavani next year would be good to see how he develops.

Widow

The elephant in the room is whether Sancho is good value even at £90m
Yes, he is. The price is looking more like £80 million (reported)

Sancho would operate in a position where Greenwood is excelling
Greenwood has had a very average season until the last month or so. I'm not criticising him, he is still learning his game after all. Greenwood and Ole see his future through the middle. Sancho is still a level above Greenwood, especially on the right.

Sancho can play on the left but that is Rashford's domain
Rashford needs to rest more He has been carrying an injury for months and has looked tired towards the end of the season. This has led to a massive dropoff in form.

We need to be in the market for players at the level of Sancho. I will not go as far as to say 'generational' but we have had issues on the right for 10 years and as we find a very good solution, we shouldn't go for it? Mind-boggling.

The fact that he is English and already has a good relationship with our English players is a bonus.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We've beaten some of the best teams in Europe with McFred starting. Quality across Europe isn't great right now.
That's fair and I do like them for knockout games, maybe you're right for Europe but speaking for the league - it's more of a marathon, the two collectively (Fred and McTominay) aren't the type to help churn out 3 points week after week against low-block defences and neither is really dependable to play there alone with Pogba. I agree that a CB signing will prevent those Lindelof blunders which is great, but I'm mostly worried about the transition to Bruno, Rashford, Cavani etc, as getting the ball to them is what decides games.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even with any doubts I have over Sancho's best position, the need to sign him should be pretty obvious after a season in which our manager felt it necessary to run Rashford into the ground, where we looked light in attack when Greenwood wasn't playing well in the first half of the season and particularly after a final in which the manager was clearly reluctant to swap any of his starting players out of the team.

Attack is simply more important than defence when it comes to winning leagues. Even with other areas that need strengthening, attack is where you want overkill of quality if possible.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Spot on. Also, (and I keep repeating this on here) - it's been reported that Rashford is still carrying a shoulder injury and may need surgery after the Euros. He could miss part of next season - so it's good that Sancho can play well on the left.

Imagine our front three options next season:

Sancho - Cavani - Rashford

Greenwood - Cavani - Sancho

Sancho - Greenwood - Rashford

Greenwood - Cavani - Rashford

EDIT: I've just realised I've not even considered Martial - there's even more options!
You’ve missed the Phil Jones as spearhead option too :rolleyes:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
But open to persuasion.
In terms of fit, he is the ideal signing. A front 3 with all 3 of them shooters/scorers just doesn't work and isn't balanced even if you think Greenwoods long term future is on the right wing. You need one of the wingers to be a creator. Sancho is a creator. Have him on one of the wings opposite to Rashford or Greenwood, and now you have both the top class quality and depth to rotate however you want between these players where we'll have excellent balance in the attack. Sancho creating on the right will help out Rashford on the left, and Greenwood on the right if Sancho is on the left. Greenwood isn't good enough as a right winger to make that position his own yet, and our right wing has been a constant problem this season as we've been so heavily reliant on the left wing for all build up play, so Sancho would finally give us that right wing balance for most games anyway.

Right wing has been IMO our biggest need for ages now. Multiple years of having no threat on the right. You can't have a balanced attack like that, and we have way too many games where we don't create enough (hence the amount of games we finished with 0 or 1 goals), that attack just has to be fixed. And it's not down to striker. Cavani is a very good striker, but he'll be able to do that much more when fit if we have a creator in the attack as well. Takes away some creative burden from Bruno, and gives Bruno more space as now we have a legitimate threat on both wings, stretching the pitch.

In terms of signings that would make the most instant and long term impact, there's nobody more than Sancho and Declan Rice IMO. Both of them are types of players we need in positions of need. Sancho though is a proven borderline world class player for a 3 years now in that exact position. He's a creator who will help all those around him, share some creative burden from both Bruno and what Wan Bissaka currently has (as he tends to be alone on the right, even though he has absolutely no creativity). It just balances out that right wing really nicely and compliments the players around him, so it's one of the most straightforward fits into the team and the profile of player being English and having lived in Manchester already and being 21, combined with playing naturally in a recurring problem position for ~5 years now, makes him literally the ideal signing.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sancho and Varane and I think we're in with a chance winning Champions League next season.
I think we’d still be a top right back, top DM and top CF away really, although Chelsea and City have proven this season that you can win the top honours without a prolific striker. Still think we’d be too porous to go far in Europe either way, and too one dimensional without an attacking threat down the right. Sancho and Trippier instead of Sancho and AWB might change all that though.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
City's big plus is that every game can be extremely influenced by substitutions.
If all the high performers are starting for United right now you can't really intervene from the bench. You saw that in the final, too. So I don't get the argument that Sancho doesn't really improve the team that much because his positions are already well staffed.
Not to mention the chance of injuries for top players which would kind of finish the season with the current squad right away.

None of the players really have big pressure to perform at the Moment.
I'm a big fan of Rashford, but he can be completely out of shape and simply knows that he's playing anyway. That's neither favourable to the team nor to him.

Greenwood could be supposed to play in the middle sooner or later due his great finishing. After Cavanis departure at the latest, this is a great option.

Why should you let the opportunity go away and initiate it accordingly right now if you have the chance to get a potential world class player for the next 5-10 years? Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood can dominate a decade and each one of them should get enough games right away if they perform and stay fit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think we’d still be a top right back, top DM and top CF away really, although Chelsea and City have proven this season that you can win the top honours without a prolific striker. Still think we’d be too porous to go far in Europe either way, and too one dimensional without an attacking threat down the right. Sancho and Trippier instead of Sancho and AWB might change all that though.
The holding midfielder for sure would be needed. Trippier is more for rotation and competition for Wan Bissaka that would help far more in the league than in the CL, where it's 1 or 2 big games per round IMO. Unfortunately there is no 1 signing solution to get us there, but the quickest and closest thing would without a doubt in my mind be getting Sancho in attack for his creativity, versatility and overall class of player, and then someone like Rice to be the defensive midfielder as we don't have one now and it'd make a world of difference. We can live without a CB and go far, and Lindelof/Tuanzebe/Bailly would look far better behind Rice than they currently do (just look at Stones looking competent behind Fernandinho).

To really have a squad that can challenge the league next year, we need something like Sancho, Rice, Varane and Trippier. Cavani is good enough to cover that for 1 year with Martial and Greenwood providing competition and rotation to the front 3, but next summer striker would be a thing too.

redshaw

Even with any doubts I have over Sancho's best position, the need to sign him should be pretty obvious after a season in which our manager felt it necessary to run Rashford into the ground, where we looked light in attack when Greenwood wasn't playing well in the first half of the season and particularly after a final in which the manager was clearly reluctant to swap any of his starting players out of the team.
Exactly, we need a quality attacker and Sancho should be great on either side. I'd love Rashford to get the surgery done and he can up his game, stay fresh and push Sancho to the right. Greenwood can rotate up front and on the right. We have a very flexible front line adding Sancho with form or injury issues.

At £70-80m we should get this done.

Drz

I expect we would regularly rotate between our main three options - Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho.

--Rashford-----Bruno-----Sancho--

--Sancho-----Bruno-----Greenwood--

--Rashford-----Bruno-----Greenwood--

*If Martial gets back into form he will also regularly play as striker again.

It gives us great options to cover for both injuries or poor form, plus just general rotation so nobody plays too much and burns out or has to play through injuries (looking at Rashford in particular). Throw in Pogba, Martial and Amad also hopefully being quality options and we should be set going forward, although obviously there are question marks over each of those three atm. We can also occasionally play all three, with either Greenwood or Rashford playing up front or Sancho may end up being our best back-up for Bruno.
If Pogba stays, and against a low-block, I'd also be excited to see the below:

--------------------Cavani*-------------------
--Pogba---------Bruno-------Sancho--

wise_old_man

Breaking teams down has been our biggest issue for 2 years now. Why do people keep forgetting that? Hell, our last game was us losing a final because we couldn’t break Villarreal down and get a second goal.
We couldn't break them down because we tried to play it safe with our substitution to get to penalty shootout, to be honest. We didn't try to up the tempo and break their defence down enough. It's more an issue with our approach that game rather than our personnel.

RedDevilRoshi

I can't believe it's 2021, we've had no RW for near on a decade and people still don't think its a priority.
Sign Sancho and I will not be surprised if Ole sticks him on the left and continues to keep playing Rashford on the right.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sign Sancho and I will not be surprised if Ole sticks him on the left and continues to keep playing Rashford on the right.
Why would he? The difference for Sancho playing on the left or right is quite small, compared to Rashford who tends to be far better on the left (although he has had some good matches on the right in the past). They'd certainly rotate a fair bit throughout the match but I don't see why we'd mostly play Rashford on the right in that situation.

Infestissumam

I'd expect there to be a lot of movement in our front three. The great thing about Sancho is that he can pretty much play across the line without much difference in terms of quality. So many options ... Rashford on the left and Sancho on the right, Sancho on the left and Greenwood on the right and so on and so on. Might even try Rashford-Sancho-Greenwood if Bruno ever needs a breather or, god forbid, is injured.

meamth

Problem is that Sancho regularly plays on the LW for Dortmund.

But of course he could be used to play for RW and see how it works out.

I'm not against this signing at all, the thought of Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford spearheading United attack is just full of promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.