Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Difficult question, will depend a lot on what goes on behind the scenes of the (then failed) transfer I think. He could either be disappointed in Dortmund not allowing him to go, or he could be disappointed in United not valuing him the same way he himself does (which is clear by the agreement on the transfer fee that United in that case would have failed to match).

Looking at his improved mentality over the last months I could really see him bouncing back strong from that to prove himself even more, but in the first case I think it could be a difficult season ahead.
He isn't going to be disappointed at United- I can guarantee that. No one is going to be disappointed for not meeting the exorbitant prices quoted by selling clubs.

Tarrou

I am always astonished when I read things like this. It seems that most of the United-fans have not realized that Dortmund is not willing to sell Sancho - they will be glad when he stays another year.
It is exactly the same situation than last year: There is a gentlemen agreement with Sancho and agent, that he can be transfered if there is a club which will pay exactly the transferfee Dortmund expects and this up to a deadline Sancho knows.
So there are not really negotiations between the clubs - may be about payment conditions (rates): If Sancho wants to go, he (or his agent) has to bring a club who will pay the expected money up the deadline!
This was the story last year and it is the same this year - and no one in Dortmund will be sad, when Sancho stays another year.
Perhaps you can explain what in this behaviour of Dortmund is ridiculous in their valuations - their hope is that there is no club paying that money!
nah its a bit different this year - with two years left compared to three

if they don't sell him this year he'll have one year left next summer knowing he isn't signing a new deal

they want a sale

Scottynaldinho

I've only ever seen him in YouTube videos and honestly can't make much out of those. Anyone who watches him regularly can give an account of his potential playing position, strengths?

Tony247

Watching how dortmund negotiate in last few years, I really doubt lowballing is a right negotiation strategy with them. I don't know what business interest Glazers have in Europe but when it comes to negotiation I believe oil rich conglomerate have other leverages due to their vast european business reach. Finally, it is the negotiation between two owner entities, and if one party can offer some other business (legal) incentives then the price of one asset can be brought down and compensate with other mutual interests.

Otherwise 1) pay up the asking price, or 2) wait for the player to run down his contract

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He isn't going to be disappointed at United- I can guarantee that. No one is going to be disappointed for not meeting the exorbitant prices quoted by selling clubs.
It is well known that club and player have a gentleman's agreement about the conditions of a transfer. As the name says, Sancho agreed to those conditions, that includes especially the price.

Mac Asimov

Pretty much confirms my nonsense, no? ;) Around 20M apart (90-70) and bonuses need to be agreed, too.
No it doesn't, all this says is the they are 20 Mills apart in valuation. So desperate for attention.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It is well known that club and player have a gentleman's agreement about the conditions of a transfer. As the name says, Sancho agreed to those conditions, that includes especially the price.
You think Dortmund and Sancho agreed on the terms of the transfer this summer? Absolutely no chance of that when you consider the variables

SATA

Agreeing personal terms with the player when we haven’t agree a fee with his club? Sounds like a tapping up ;)

I would say BVB are just posturing at 70M euros and they’ll accept when it goes up to 80M euros. It’s almost a done dealio lads. Both sides and the player know this is done

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

As they should!

Edit: it's starting to seem like the German press are being briefed to make BVB look strong before they accept £80 million

SATA

It pleases me that United are now dealing directly with Dortmund, and not through some shady intermediaries looking for cuts from both sides. This should speed the negotiations up much quicker

Adcuth

If we agree a fee, can the medical be done whilst he's on international duty?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You think Dortmund and Sancho agreed on the terms of the transfer this summer? Absolutely no chance of that when you consider the variables
According to German media reports they agreed on a price (95m € guaranteed) and a deadline (at the date when he should start training for the new saison at Dortmund, he shall either stay or be gone). These are the set parameters that should not be expected to change. What seems less clear (and part of the discussion between the clubs) are the other variables - payment schedule, bonus payments etc. Dortmund might go down a bit on the guaranteed fee if there are interesting bonus payments agreed I think, but they will make sure to get their money for Sancho.

Edit: it's starting to seem like the German press are being briefed to make BVB look strong before they accept £80 million
£80 million would be about €95 million, so exactly the amount that's been reported in Germany for weeks now, even before negotiations started. No need to brief the German press on that number now. If United pays that, they did not reduce the asking price Dortmund had from the beginning (let's not haggle about a million lost in daily changing conversion rates :devil:)

For reference this two weeks old article: https://sportbild.bild.de/bundeslig...zgrenze-fuer-jadon-sancho-76513084.sport.html

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Gentlemen agreement with Dortmund - sure thing.
With United - no way on the fees. Probably on the wages.

Do you really think United had a Gentlemen agreement with Sancho to meet 120m valuation of Dortmund last year ? Sancho has nothing to do with that mate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think the german press ever acknowledged an official bid last summer did they?

That means we are closer than we ever got last year. I can't see us failing this time around.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Gentlemen agreement with Dortmund - sure thing.
With United - no way on the fees. Probably on the wages.

Do you really think United had a Gentlemen agreement with Sancho to meet 120m valuation of Dortmund last year ? Sancho has nothing to do with that mate.
No agreement with United, but basically it appears to have gone like this:
Sancho: "I'd like to leave and go back to England"
Dortmund: "You are a good lad and have done well, we will be open for a transfer if you bring us a club who pays amount X until deadline Y for you"
Sancho: "That sound's fair, I'll go and find a club who is willing to do that"

And then he thought United would be that club and that saga failed horribly last year, might look different this year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think the german press ever acknowledged an official bid last summer did they?

That means we are closer than we ever got last year. I can't see us failing this time around.
According to multiple sources, both clubs never even spoke directly.

Bratt

Yeah, I believe that’s the truth.
Some journalists said we made a bid, but the german press were adamant that we didn’t if I remember correctly.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah, I believe that’s the truth.
Some journalists said we made a bid, but the german press were adamant that we didn’t if I remember correctly.
The whole Sancho saga was more of a meme then something people took serious in Germany last summer. I still fondly remember the Sky reporter standing in some urban area having nothing new to report and just mentioning that his German colleagues laughed at him when he tried to get some news. It did not appear like United had any serious interest in paying what Dortmund wanted and Dortmund had no serious interest to discuss terms United would have liked, so that whole story in Germany quite quickly went away.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
According to multiple sources, both clubs never even spoke directly.
Last year was literally this:

Dortmund: It’s €120m or nothing. Don’t even bother bidding if you are not serious about matching this.

United: Oh ok then.

Dortmund: It’s 120m, if United are going to sign him they have to pay this.

Dortmund: United must come up with a serious offer if they want to sign him.

Dortmund: We do not want to sell Sancho. Manchester a United cannot think that they will get him for cheap.

Dortmund: Our valuation is clear, United must offer this if they are to sign him.

Dortmund: We are not a selling club. It’s 120m or he stays.

Dortmund: United did not make the offer before our deadline, we do not want to sell him.

Dortmund: We we’re clear about the offer, it was up to United to offer 120m before the deadline and they did not do that. They cannot think he is going to move for less than that now.

Dortmund: No bid has been received, Sancho is not for sale.

Dortmund: We set his price and we have not received any offers.

Dortmund: United know what they need to pay.

Dortmund: United have not bid. They are not signing him, we are clear about this.

Dortmund: We have not received any bids and are totally fine with that.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Dortmund: It’s €120m or nothing. Don’t even bother bidding if you are not serious about matching this.

Dortmund: We do not want to sell Sancho. Manchester a United cannot think that they will get him for cheap.

Dortmund: Our valuation is clear, United must offer this if they are to sign him.

Dortmund: United did not make the offer before our deadline, we do not want to sell him.

Dortmund: We we’re clear about the offer, it was up to United to offer 120m before the deadline and they did not do that. They cannot think he is going to move for less than that now.

Dortmund: United have not bid. They are not signing him, we are clear about this.

I think we definitely tried to negotiate later in the window. If not it would make no sense why we wanted Dembele on loan just days before the window closed

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

The first two lines are accurate, but before any further quote from Dortmund you should insert a random english journalist asking about Sancho like a broken record, that was part of what made that saga so much more hilarious last summer. :lol:

Infestissumam

I think we definitely tried to negotiate later in the window. If not it would make no sense why we wanted Dembele on loan just days before the window closed
we tried to negotiate where there's nothing to negotiate. They set a price and weren't willing to budge, and it'll be the same thing this year. We'll either end up paying exactly what they wanted day 1 or walk away.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

:lol:
Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Dortmund: THE DEADLINE

Tony247

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
This deal will happen as soon as the euros are done and it will end up like the Havertz deal for us. Around £70m with add ons. English media claiming it was £62m + addons and the German press claiming £75m plus addons

Good deal for all parties, think he'll be decent for Utd
With United they'd most likely claim the final price after add-ons are included - that is what they did with Martial at least. Had been known publicly that his deal had a number of clauses in and only one was ever reached in time yet media still said we paid an absurd price.

If we combine this thread with last seasons, is it the biggest transfer thread in RedCafe history? I know some of the historic threads reached ridiculous numbers.
Last season's thread is the biggest transfer thread by itself - has 10k more posts (54k total) than the Pogba one.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Why are there persistent social media arguments that selling Sancho means they'd not sell Haaland. Sancho was heading for the exit last summer, this isnt a sale to save money or raise money.

They are not tied together

MUFC OK

Imagine we don't sign him, don't extend Pogba's contract, don't sign Varane, don't sign Rice (not even rumoured tbf) and we realise at the end of the window that the Glazers do not, in fact give a F#ck. Overly negative or just what is to be expected based on the last 16 years?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Dortmund: THE DEADLINE
Dude, ESPN sent a journalist to Germany at the end of the transfer window to report live from any new developments surrounding the Sancho transfer. The guy looked like somebody who came to a house party thinking everybody would wear costumes. The rumor was kept alive from the English side, Dortmund was simply giving the same answer to the never ending questions from British journos all the time and you pretend they did it proactively.

I mean, I wouldn't mind it happening again. The video of the poor bloke was the highlight of the whole saga.

Difficult question, will depend a lot on what goes on behind the scenes of the (then failed) transfer I think. He could either be disappointed in Dortmund not allowing him to go, or he could be disappointed in United not valuing him the same way he himself does (which is clear by the agreement on the transfer fee that United in that case would have failed to match).

Looking at his improved mentality over the last months I could really see him bouncing back strong from that to prove himself even more, but in the first case I think it could be a difficult season ahead.
That's the thing everybody is conveniently ignoring. If Sancho was so adamanant on leaving, why would he agree to a slightly lower fee than the one which was already too high for United one year and significant financial losses ago? ;) It had to be clear to him and his agent that the possibility of nobody being able to meet Dortmund's demands is there.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Imagine we don't sign him, don't extend Pogba's contract, don't sign Varane, don't sign Rice (not even rumoured tbf) and we realise at the end of the window that the Glazers do not, in fact give a F#ck. Overly negative or just what is to be expected based on the last 16 years?
that's far more likely than the opposite happening tbf

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why are there persistent social media arguments that selling Sancho means they'd not sell Haaland. Sancho was heading for the exit last summer, this isnt a sale to save money or raise money.

They are not tied together
Cause Dortmund don't wanna sell Haaland and have said that on record, that's why.

sillwuka

One player I'm happy we are signing due to desperately needing a right winger.

I do have my doubts about his ability to beat a man though, god I hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Cause Dortmund don't wanna sell Haaland and have said that on record, that's why.
I'll give you 150million reasons why they would..... why on earth have they stuck an asking price out there then?

No club turns down 150m, when the most they'll get for the same asset in 12 months is 70m. Nope

Heardy

I hate the Glazers as much as the next guy, but they’ve not been that neglectful of the squad.

Money has generally been made available, we’ve just had a big miss rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.