Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Almost..........................nearly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,closer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Perhaps times have changed. Demand is greater. And I agree that we shouldn’t wait for our ‘young players’ as a rule, I am viewing Amad as an exception to that, personally. More in a different bracket of ‘our special young players’.

In my time as a United fan, we’ve always, or often had good young players like a Rossi or whoever, but then there have been a few potential superstars who we have absolutely created a clear 3 year plan to harvest. Ronaldo was young on one wing, Giggs was seasoned on the other. We would have never just bought a 25 year old to start ahead of Ronaldo at 19, it was a development spot in our team, shared between him and Fletch because we saw obvious reward in the longer term that needed an investment in time.

I think Rashford’s emergence was similar. He was 18, and there was clearly no chance that we were going to just look for a Luka Jovic level 23 year old to put ahead of him after his flurry of goals when he came through. We went for Zlatan as part of some sort of succession plan to bridge the gap, but I think there was a clear sense of us betting on his talent. I remember talk of Vardy and others at the time, but word was that we didn’t want to put someone in front of Rashford. Similar with Greenwood and Cavani arguably, in terms of succession planning. I put Amad in that sort of bracket as a big money talent we clearly believe in, and it seems a clear change in strategy to then put another one a year or two in front of him. That’s not really how we’ve ever done it I don’t think. I’m not against another right winger, but having bought Amad as a potential superstar young RW, I wouldn’t have thought we needed to buy another potential superstar young RW. To me, we’ve already bet on one of those, and personally, I’d have gone for a different profile to bridge the gap, so to speak. Not necessarily Perisic, but that sort of profile perhaps, who can come in and be relied upon immediately for a couple of seasons. Someone around 30. That seems to me how we have always developed our special young talent with a clear integration plan. It’s been much discussed in the Varane thread that he turned us down due to us just signing Phil Jones at the same age for big money.

I respect that others may disagree, and a fans nature is also to want all the good players and want them now, but it doesn’t all add up to me. I can’t imagine we’d have spent what we spent on Amad last summer if we had completed the Sancho deal back then, for example. Sancho himself is young, and needs plenty of time to develop and adapt.
Ronaldo case is different, right from his first game he looked class. Even before he stepped up to different class in 2006-07, it was always hard to sign a better winger than Ronaldo in that 2004-06 time, he was very good player and regular for Portugal NT too. Same with Rooney, even though he was 18 when we signed him, it was hard to sign a better striker than Rooney in that period. Both were already very good players and we had to pay huge money to sign better players than them.

Amad case is different, he is very much unknown entity at top level, we can't create a road map for next 3 years with unknown entities, especially when making top 4 is such a struggle these days. I believe he will be top player but that's my opinion and I have nothing to lose with that opinion, the people who have so much to lose might not take the risk on such a young player.

Regarding Rashford, we signed Mkhi, Sanchez as wingers, we signed Lukaku when Zlatan was injured. It blocked both Rashford and Martial's development but we did it as at that time it was important to sign a 9 and also player who were ready (or proven) to play week in week out (without benefit of hindsight btw).

IMO we deviated from what made us so good in the last few years, we never relied on young players alone, we always had the mix of young players, peak players and very experienced players. When we had Ronaldo and Rooney as teenagers (Rooney as a teenager was already a sensation anyways) we also had players like RVN, Giggs, Scholes who all were good attackers. Before that when players like Scholes, Beckham broke through, we had players like Cantona, Keane, Dane and few other great players.

Sancho doesn't fit in the peak players or in the experienced players category but he is already one of the top wingers in Europe. We need to improve our wing position and we are about to do that. Amad will get his chances and if he shows he is capable of stepping up then we will have good numbers to rotate. City have players like Sterling, Foden, KdB, B.Silva, Mahrez and they all play good enough number of games. People said same thing about Foden, how he isn't getting chances or how his development is stalled but now he looks ready. Competition for places or playing alongside very good players helped him to develop too and also training with good players.

Also not sure about Cavani and Greenwood. I don't think Ole thinks Greenwood is ready for CF position, he played almost 95% of his games as RW, so Cavani deal shouldn't change anything. Also at this point, we don't even know whether Greenwood will end up as CF or RW.

The way I see, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Amad is good enough numbers for wing position, we have Sancho, Rashford who plays in both wing position, Greenwood can play as RW and CF, Amad looked very much like a RW but going by his playing style, wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as AM or plays well as AM. He looks like proper playmaker. We are a big club and should always try to have the best possible squad + young players with great potential. We have lost our way going extremes in last few years.

Finally we are building a good squad and if players progress as we expect then there will be good competition for places. There will obviously a time where players won't be happy with playing time or don't want to be rotated, but we can always make decisions at that time.

wolvored

When we were winning regularly it was obviously beneficial to not always pay top dollar on an experienced player and take a chance with the likes of an Amad for example.
Zaha would probably have still been here if Fergie had have bought him 5 years earlier and he was 5 years older to match the age when we bought him as another example. He would have gradually blended him in and reaped the rewards 2-3 years down the line.
Now we need players to come in and instantly make a difference, thus having to pay top dollar. Sancho should be ok, but as we saw with Miki and Kagawa and as Chelsea have seen with their Bundesliga buys, its an easier league than the Premier to perform in and it doesnt always work as planned.

Martial

Regarding Rashford, we signed Mkhi, Sanchez as wingers, we signed Lukaku when Zlatan was injured. It blocked both Rashford and Martial's development but we did it as at that time it was important to sign a 9 and also player who were ready (or proven) to play week in week out (without benefit of hindsight btw).

IMO we deviated from what made us so good in the last few years, we never relied on young players alone, we always had the mix of young players, peak players and very experienced players. When we had Ronaldo and Rooney as teenagers (Rooney as a teenager was already a sensation anyways) we also had players like RVN, Giggs, Scholes who all were good attackers. Before that when players like Scholes, Beckham broke through, we had players like Cantona, Keane, Dane and few other great players.

Sancho doesn't fit in the peak players or in the experienced players category but he is already one of the top wingers in Europe. We need to improve our wing position and we are about to do that. Amad will get his chances and if he shows he is capable of stepping up then we will have good numbers to rotate. City have players like Sterling, Foden, KdB, B.Silva, Mahrez and they all play good enough number of games. People said same thing about Foden, how he isn't getting chances or how his development is stalled but now he looks ready. Competition for places or playing alongside very good players helped him to develop too and also training with good players.
Great post. Spot on regarding the necessity for both experience and youth.

It is bordering on sheer incompetence relying solely on Amad for the RW in the short to medium-term with the performances he has shown so far, as certain posters have suggested.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Great post. Spot on regarding the necessity for both experience and youth.

It is bordering on sheer incompetence relying solely on Amad for the RW in the short to medium-term with the performances he has shown so far, as certain posters have suggested.
Greenwood can play there and so can James. It won't be just Amad that has to come up with the goods.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I'm not sure how much of an impact he's going to have we our constipated approach. A change of coaching staff is what I desire the most. Maybe Sancho is special and can overcome our shortcomings.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'm not sure how much of an impact he's going to have we our constipated approach. A change of coaching staff is what I desire the most. Maybe Sancho is special and can overcome our shortcomings.
We've been completely lopsided in our transition play for 5 or 6 years. Sancho will be huge in addressing that.

KD6-3.7

I think this is my worry as well. But it's not just Ole it's every manager and coaching staff we've had post Ferguson.

Siezard

In what feels like the longest transfer saga since Wesley Sneijder, Gaitan, or any of the other players who were perpetually linked with a move to Old Trafford, it would seem that Manchester United have finally agreed personal terms with Jadon Sancho.

The news comes from transfer news insider, Fabrizio Romano, who stated that Sancho is "not creating any problem" and the deal is now in Borussia Dortmund's hands.

The 21-year-old has been linked with a move back to Manchester (having previously been part of City's academy) virtually ever since his first season at the German club.

After having previously provided an update a few days ago, Romano tweeted that the club have now "reached an agreement with Sancho's camp", stating that negotiations with Dortmund are still to take place.

We reported last month how United have reportedly lined up four targets they would like to secure early this summer - Sancho being top of that list - and it seems as though they might be about to wrap up their first.

It is likely that nothing concrete will be announced or even done while Sancho and his potential future teammates in Rashford, Maguire, Shaw and Henderson are away with England for Euro 2020, but it will certainly make for added excitement as Reds look to see how the young star could link-up with these other talents next season.

copen1945

In what feels like the longest transfer saga since Wesley Sneijder, Gaitan, or any of the other players who were perpetually linked with a move to Old Trafford, it would seem that Manchester United have finally agreed personal terms with Jadon Sancho.

The news comes from transfer news insider, Fabrizio Romano, who stated that Sancho is "not creating any problem" and the deal is now in Borussia Dortmund's hands.

The 21-year-old has been linked with a move back to Manchester (having previously been part of City's academy) virtually ever since his first season at the German club.

After having previously provided an update a few days ago, Romano tweeted that the club have now "reached an agreement with Sancho's camp", stating that negotiations with Dortmund are still to take place.

We reported last month how United have reportedly lined up four targets they would like to secure early this summer - Sancho being top of that list - and it seems as though they might be about to wrap up their first.

It is likely that nothing concrete will be announced or even done while Sancho and his potential future teammates in Rashford, Maguire, Shaw and Henderson are away with England for Euro 2020, but it will certainly make for added excitement as Reds look to see how the young star could link-up with these other talents next season.
Isn't this how things were during last the previous transfer window? The personal terms don't cause too many problems. It is the conversation with the German team that is painfully slow and difficult.

choccy77

Wednesday will be the day, as soon as England lose on Tuesday, Sancho will be having his medical for United.

Offsideagain

I hear there is advanced talks on the advanced talks happening tomorrow. Gareth Southgate will have to bring Sancho on in the second half and he will make up the two goal deficit and England will win on penalties. Dortmund will see this and slap another £10m on the price.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I hear there is advanced talks on the advanced talks happening tomorrow. Gareth Southgate will have to bring Sancho on in the second half and he will make up the two goal deficit and England will win on penalties. Dortmund will see this and slap another £10m on the price.
What are advanced talks?

"so Jadon, would you prefer us to stock sweet chilli sauce or spicy mayo for your chips?"

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
How are we 208 pages in and there are still folks that think he’s a pace merchant. That’s not his game at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.