2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

El Jefe

Unfortunately for Sancho it's hard to put much stock into his preseason performances. He needs to show it consistently in actual games before making me a believer. He was great this time last year and we saw what followed.

Great goal though. Surprised by people mentioning his pace, he scored a similar breakaway goal vs Chelsea at the Bridge. His issue as always is showing that burst consistently, rather than once every three months.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Thought he played well in a unfamilar position. He showed his usual quality with his quick feet and more often than not correct decision making. He also showed us some pace and directness which we haven't seen since his days in Germany which was nice to see.

I totaly understand Ten Hag willing to let him go for the right price but I do hope he can come good for us!

Bobski

If he is fit and ready to go instead of lugging around extra weight that will be a huge improvement on how he has gone into either of his Utd seasons.

mancan92

Look if we get a Sancho who is fit firing and confident we instantly have a world class player and we go up levels. Just hope we bring in a forward who can change things

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I would like to see him on the right more. His quality (skills, technique, even speed) is undoubted. Just as his weakness (lack of intensity and slow from the mark).

Honestly he should own the right wing this season. If Wan Bissaka plays offensively (as the midfield is more secure with Mount), he can be quite effective. He's only against Antony there, the bar is quite low. Sancho just needs to work more off the ball.

Vabelico

You're falling for this parody again. let me remind you that a year ago at the beginning of the tour he looked even better and then the whole season was sh*t

Borninthe80ts

I can already see it’s going to be an uphill battle for Sancho this season, mainly in that most things he does will be viewed through a negative lens. I can understand why to a certain extent as people lose hope and move on but I’m willing to treat this season as a fresh one.

Playing as the furthest man forward has forced him to have to press harder and lead the line. Clearly this is through necessity but I’m sure Ten is aware of the positive effects this can have.

His talent is undoubted, as the finish yesterday highlights, but he has to show it regularly now. I’m sure he is aware of this too. Let’s see what he does.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Dunno where sancho got that pace from. Don’t think I’ve seen him run so quick. We have to bear in mind he’s been playing upfront for all pre season games. I think the quality of Mount may help players up their game. Also sancho thrives of having a proper ST he can link up with like he did with Haaland at Dortmund.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I would like to see him on the right more. His quality (skills, technique, even speed) is undoubted. Just as his weakness (lack of intensity and slow from the mark).

Honestly he should own the right wing this season. If Wan Bissaka plays offensively (as the midfield is more secure with Mount), he can be quite effective. He's only against Antony there, the bar is quite low. Sancho just needs to work more off the ball.
That’s the problem, Antony is quality of the ball and his work rate is miles better. He helps out a lot more defensively. He just needs to improve his attacking play. Sancho needs to improve defensive play and work rate.

ForlansHair

His and our problem is that he is paid like he should start every game and be in the top 10 in the world in his position when he frankly isn’t, similar to Maguire. He’s not a bad player at all but he costs us a lot every year in amortisation and salary and doesn’t do anywhere near enough to justify it

Jaykespeare88

His not small is he? Looks diminutive at first glance, but he certainly filled out a fair bit since joining. Looks sharper than usual, thought he did as much at the end of the season, hopefully he kicks on and is able to finish games at a high tempo.

Blood Mage

Told you guys he's quick ;)
He was slow as feck last season, couldn't get past anybody. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's gotten quicker but it's more likely that Arsenal just weren't playing with that much intensity.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He was slow as feck last season, couldn't get past anybody. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's gotten quicker but it's more likely that Arsenal just weren't playing with that much intensity.
So you think the defender ran slower on purpose? :lol:

This forum sometimes, incredible

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seems we'll be seeing a lot of him as a false 9 this season. If he can get his mentality right, show up with the right aggressiveness... Then I don't see why it can't work. We'll show a lot more control throughout the team this season I think, and he's one of the few we have who are capable of dropping deep and turning rapidly on the ball, playing others in or moving with it. Of course he'll have to learn to adapt with playing with a defender on his ass, but it's similar to how Pep used Foden before Haaland came in. Rashford making runs in behind, Antony switching between coming deep or going behind on the right, Bruno and Mount linking up with Sancho... It's not perfect, but I can see it being a good option and probably the main option throughout the season. Martial when fit will rotate there, but I have a feeling that we'll look to use Hojlund/Martial/Sancho as the central players and Rashford will be more focused on the left, rotating with Garnacho, with Antony and amad on the right. Tons of games to go around so we'll need the rotation and as of now I'd say only Rashford is guaranteed a spot due to his unique qualities.

Howl

Seems we'll be seeing a lot of him as a false 9 this season. If he can get his mentality right, show up with the right aggressiveness... Then I don't see why it can't work. We'll show a lot more control throughout the team this season I think, and he's one of the few we have who are capable of dropping deep and turning rapidly on the ball, playing others in or moving with it. Of course he'll have to learn to adapt with playing with a defender on his ass, but it's similar to how Pep used Foden before Haaland came in. Rashford making runs in behind, Antony switching between coming deep or going behind on the right, Bruno and Mount linking up with Sancho... It's not perfect, but I can see it being a good option and probably the main option throughout the season. Martial when fit will rotate there, but I have a feeling that we'll look to use Hojlund/Martial/Sancho as the central players and Rashford will be more focused on the left, rotating with Garnacho, with Antony and amad on the right. Tons of games to go around so we'll need the rotation and as of now I'd say only Rashford is guaranteed a spot due to his unique qualities.
It makes sense when you look at what Sancho is best at. His close control is very good, he's very good at passing through the lines, and he's cool as a cucumber in the box. His issues are his unwillingness to run, and his apparent lack of pace, although that is less of an issue against center backs rather than full backs. But, as has always been the case, it all depends on his mentality. Is he someone who can be consistently aggressive, or will he be like most of the other big name signings we've made in the last decade who float through matches and show up when they feel like it. I trust Ten Hag to get him right, but it feels like with a positional switch this is last chance saloon for Sancho.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It makes sense when you look at what Sancho is best at. His close control is very good, he's very good at passing through the lines, and he's cool as a cucumber in the box. His issues are his unwillingness to run, and his apparent lack of pace, although that is less of an issue against center backs rather than full backs. But, as has always been the case, it all depends on his mentality. Is he someone who can be consistently aggressive, or will he be like most of the other big name signings we've made in the last decade who float through matches and show up when they feel like it. I trust Ten Hag to get him right, but it feels like with a positional switch this is last chance saloon for Sancho.
Yeah I think with him it helps playing in central areas, being able to turn either direction or roam around, combine with all around him. Out on the wing in the prem he's too isolated and asked to do things he isn't the best at and doesn't have that same pace like Garnacho, whereas he's very quick and agile where it works as a false 9.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah I think with him it helps playing in central areas, being able to turn either direction or roam around, combine with all around him. Out on the wing in the prem he's too isolated and asked to do things he isn't the best at and doesn't have that same pace like Garnacho, whereas he's very quick and agile where it works as a false 9.
It also forces him to be involved. There's no denying he has excellent composure and clever decision making in the final third that could work in the middle. The biggest thing though will be his cardio, as he'll be asked to press quite aggressively from the front in a way that he hasn't had to do from the wing. I also would find it interesting in how he can drop deeper from that position while Mount and Bruno run beyond.

Andersonson

He was best at RW during the Arsenal game imo. He had some fases there were he actually used his pace and went past players.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Let's actually see how he does when there's something to actually play for, that's when you get the real Sancho.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't buy this "false 9" at all. It's just something we do in preseason to imitate a setup with a striker.

It's like we played Lindelof as DM. Yes he can play there, but this is only in some extreme situations.

Sancho as false 9 will get bullied by CBs. He will be backup left / right winger.

Davie Moyes

Sancho always looks good in pre season. Can be translate this into when the real season starts though that's the big question.

El Jefe

He's in the Pogba territory of 2017-2021 where we've banked hope in the change of the system, players and position for Sancho to come good. He's not even done 50% of what Pogba did and we've already changed all those things.

After his sabbatical Sancho was played as the No.10 and he was the same as every other version we've seen of him.

Sancho is talented enough to be effective in any attacking position behind the striker, his mentality and lack of physical tools and fitness is his main issue rather than his position. Once a CB clatters into him to start a game, he'll hide in his shell and we'll be hearing of how he needs to be moved back to the wing.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
A lot of what ETH has done in his 1st season, in terms of faith in players or distancing himself, has been effective. So far he has seemed to publicly back Sancho so I feel he has the belief he can get the best out of him.

Chief123

Some of you are getting carried away with the idea of him as a false 9. You’ll be very disappointed when he ends up playing no meaningful part this season in that position. Take ETH’s comments with a pinch of salt.

We will see Hojlund, Rashford, a broken Martial and even Bruno play in that position before we see Sancho play there.

It’s false hope. I fully expect Sancho to continue what he’s been doing which is a bit part player who struggles to command a starting place.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
My dream is to see Sancho almost like a false 9:

Rashford -- Greenwood
《Sancho》

Like a false 9 but one that can decide to stay forward centrally, or to overlap on the left to get this:

Sancho - Rashford - Greenwood

Or overlap from the right and we get this -

Rashford - Greenwood - Sancho

Giving Sancho a free role to play his through balls in 3 different lanes to a left footed and right footed inverted forward. :drool:

Players like Amad can play as inverted forwards too.
Glad it’s coming to fruition after years. Sancho is better centrally and at RW rather than staying all day as a LW trying to beat his man.

pascell

Glad it’s coming to fruition after years. Sancho is better centrally and at RW rather than staying all day as a LW trying to beat his man.

It isn't coming to fruition though, he's merely playing there as we have no striker and the manager is making a point we need a striker by playing him there. He'll be back on the wing soon enough.

Red Comet

For some reason players from Bundesliga don't seem to be able to reproduce the kind of form that got them noticed in the first place. For us it was Shinji Kagawa, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Bastian Schweinsteiger and now Sancho; for Chelsea it was Kai Havertz, Timo Werner and Christian Pulisic. Not to mention Naby Keita for Liverpool and Haller for West Ham.

The only players that continues to thrive are KdB and Haaland for Man City unfortunately.

Bebestation

It isn't coming to fruition though, he's merely playing there as we have no striker and the manager is making a point we need a striker by playing him there. He'll be back on the wing soon enough.
Why? Ive seen antony play on the lw - is that making a point of wanting a LW? Bruno at RW? yWhy not just play Maguire as a target 9 to make a better point?

Sanchos goal v liverpool shows why ten hag is using him as a false 9, so he can start creating his own spaces & making defenders make tough decisions.
He also has 2 better Lw, he doesnt need 3.

Bebestation

For some reason players from Bundesliga don't seem to be able to reproduce the kind of form that got them noticed in the first place. For us it was Shinji Kagawa, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Bastian Schweinsteiger and now Sancho; for Chelsea it was Kai Havertz, Timo Werner and Christian Pulisic. Not to mention Naby Keita for Liverpool and Haller for West Ham.

The only players that continues to thrive are KdB and Haaland for Man City unfortunately.
This is why i value Pl adaptability as a judgement tool.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Pulisic was a super sub at Dortmund, Haller was a decent striker at Frankfurt, nothing special. Keita was ruined by injuries. And you conveniently forgot Akanji, Gündogan, Matip, Sané, Son, Xhaka, Fuchs, and probably many others I forgot who succeeded in the EPL and in many cases even upped their level in comparison to their Bundesliga time.

This is just selective perception because United and Chelsea are/were terrible at integrating players who are used to playing in a modern tactical setup.