Jadon Sancho | First player in Bundesliga history to score 25 goals before his 20th birthday

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If he proves to be a top player in the future we should go for him. We have to try and bag the best British talent.
We offloaded Kagawa, who was useless for us.
We are currently fighting tooth and nail to offload another Dortmund player, to AFC.
And you want us to sign yet another Dortmund player?
How many failed Dortmund players would we need to sign before the lesson is learnt?

Classical Mechanic

We are currently fighting tooth and nail to offload another Dortmund player, to AFC.
How many failed Dortmund players would we need to sign before the lesson is learnt?
So you think our scouting team should stop following Dortmund?

SteveW

I'd love if we signed this lad at some stage. He's a huge talent and it would absolutely sicken City.

Footyislife

From limited analysis i just don't rate him too highly. Physical, loves dribbling. But that's it. Dwells on the ball far too much and very raw end product. Should put up decent stats playing at BVB, but won't pan out at a major club, unless the dude has crazy ambition and desire. Interesting to watch, but too early to say he's one for the future.

Number1

I’m not a fan of the England talk after two decent - good appearances at senior level! Typical of the English press mind.

He looked good tonight, he looked like he can handle the level. Got a good assist and was clean through on goal to win it but missed.

When he get firing he will scored some ridiculous goals.
Apart from 1 or 2 papers, I think British sporting press are more grounded than a lot of countries press, espcially since the emergence of social media, so not sure why British press get stick the way they do on football forums.

Spanish press (and a lot of other countries) seem bonkers with the expectations they put on their sporting teams and indivduals.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
By that logic, we've had only two German players and it hasnt worked out, so you wouldnt be willing to sign another German from here on in? And signing Argentinians hasnt worked out great either, so you would say no to Dybala?

Classical Mechanic

Apart from 1 or 2 papers, I think British sporting press are more grounded than a lot of countries press, espcially since the emergence of social media, so not sure why British press get stick the way they do on football forums.

Spanish press (and a lot of countries) seem bonkers with the expectations they put on their sporting teams and indivduals.
I know Marca dedicated about half their paper to their U17s World Cup side when they got through to the final. Seemed a lot of pressure and might go some way to explaining their poor reaction to losing.

Nick7

That is the most broken logic ever.

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
He made the best decision of his life going to Dortmund.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
From limited analysis i just don't rate him too highly. Physical, loves dribbling. But that's it. Dwells on the ball far too much and very raw end product. Should put up decent stats playing at BVB, but won't pan out at a major club, unless the dude has crazy ambition and desire. Interesting to watch, but too early to say he's one for the future.
You realize he's 17 years old?

Swift Football

What are you on about? Januzaj isn't British. Wilson was never apart of our core nor have any of those players really. Evans was pretty good for us and has been great for West Brom and getting linked to City. Jones is arguably our best CB and Shaw has had horrible injuries but is looking good coming back.
I know Januzaj isnt british, just that he was with our academy for long time. But my point was we tried hard to create a british core, starting from SAF's last 2-3 seasons, but we failed miserably. Evans was good in our title winning season but there is a reason he is be playing for West Brom now. Jones cost us loads, and never looked certain to have a great future here - injuries, rash tackles, poor header, hardly attacks ball in the opposition box. We even bought Powell, that too not on cheap, and he left before anybody knows if he was a midfielder or a striker. Shaw was supposed to take care of our LB for next 10 years when we signed and every year we talk about his fitness, his issues to fit in Jose style.

Overall, for whatever reason, creating british core dint work us and we should try to get talented players rather than compromising for a certain nationality.

Reactions: SteveJ

Number1

Overall, for whatever reason, creating british core dint work us and we should try to get talented players rather than compromising for a certain nationality.
I disagree with that. I'm not for foreign player limits (like some countries have) but Manchester United being an English/British club, i think it has a duty to produce English/British players and go after the best English/British talents.

Same goes for any club in England.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Spanish press (and a lot of other countries) seem bonkers with the expectations they put on their sporting teams and indivduals.
Truth is the majority of people on football forums talking shit about British sporting press don't speak Spanish or any other language and don't actually really have a clue what other nation's press are like.

Swift Football

I disagree with that. I'm not for foreign player limits (like some countries have) but Manchester United being an English/British club, i think it has a duty to produce English/British players and go after the best English/British talents.

Same goes for any club in England.
Producing english/british players is different than trying to create british core though.

First of all, having british talent is good in a way that if they indeed turn out to be a top player, then they are more likely to stay with United rather than seeking a move to Madrid/Barca. But, there is a general lack of quality among british players and trying to create british core affects our quality. Very few british talents are coming through in the market and whoever comes, that is divided among at least top 6 sides, so it gets really difficult to get hands on those. I believe it is impossible to create a british core at a club like United where top quality is needed in virtually every position. However, it might not apply to smaller clubs like Aston Villa, where they can do with relatively lower quality and take far greater risks when needed.

REgarding producing english/british players, I think United has done a good job so far. So many of our academy graduates are playing in the league, and championship already.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So this guy is a lot further in his development than our Gomes or simply more talented? One is nowhere near the first team really and the other is getting starts for Dortmund. That's really impressive for a 17 year old.

NotQuiteManc

Will be interesting to follow his lad. Not many brave enough to go abroad and learn their trade with different team and settings in different countries and cultures.

Can only be good for the future England team.

Womp

idiot
So this guy is a lot further in his development than our Gomes or simply more talented? One is nowhere near the first team really and the other is getting starts for Dortmund. That's really impressive for a 17 year old.
Gomes is a great talent but I'd say Sancho is just simply better, from what I've seen of them both anyway. Gomes is also a 'smaller' player, which generally speaking makes it harder to make the step-up, irregardless of talent.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t think he is better, he is just physically ready for senior football whereas Gomes is not.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He looks very good for his age, Dortmund have got an excellent player for a relative bargain. If he progresses according to his talent, then here's another 75m talent they've developed.

Bwuk

He looks very good for his age, Dortmund have got an excellent player for a relative bargain. If he progresses according to his talent, then here's another 75m talent they've developed.
Dortmund haven’t developed him. He’s a city player from the Watford academy.

Classical Mechanic

He's only played two senior games aged 17!

The thing is with Sancho is that his style can be very frustrating to watch if things aren't going for him, a little bit like Zaha in that regard. His skill level is a higher than Zaha's though.

If he starts scoring goals like he did at youth level he will raise some eyebrows as when things come off for him he is a very spectacular player.

I watched the game yesterday and thought he did OK. He certainly showed enough to get more opportunities for Dortmund this season.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I guess you wouldn't sign Messi either given the chance, seeing as you've had several failed Argentinian's?

This idea that every Dortmund player (as if they are all one and the same pumped off a conveyor belt somewhere with the same qualities and character) is destined to fail elsewhere is idiotic.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Btw Tottenham wanted him and the player was even interested to go but City didn't want to sell him to a PL club. So why didn't they ask for player plus cash when City were desperate for Walker?

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Btw Tottenham wanted him and the player was even interested to go but City didn't want to sell him to a PL club. So why didn't they ask for player plus cash when City were desperate for Walker?
They did ask but at that point Sancho was still content to be there, it was only about a week later when Guardiola left him out of the US tour that he decided to go awol and force a move. Bad timing I guess.

roonster09

Scout
They did ask but at that point Sancho was still content to be there, it was only about a week later when Guardiola left him out of the US tour that he decided to go awol and force a move. Bad timing I guess.
Wasn't he left out of tour because he wanted to leave?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I kind of see it as inevitable that he'll move back to London. Arsenal in 2 years is my bet.
Certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him back in England and in fairness it was a surprise he didnt go back to London this time as he was allegedly homesick?

Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal - who knows what they will need in a couple of years time but if he performs well next season then I guess it will be time t start looking at a new contract ans I guess Dortmund could stand to make a big profit if he establishes himself so it could happen... Obvs Id like us to buy him and him turn into the next giggs so we can taunt city about it for the next decade or so

Classical Mechanic

he is doing quite well isn't he?
Watched two of his games for them. He has got himself into contention for a place in the match day 16 for sure and should get a lot more minutes from here to the end of the season. He hasn’t reproduced the magic he showed at youth level yet but the signs are good. Lots to learn still. Got injured yesterday after coming on as a sub though.

Keep a look out for Hudson Odoi at Chelsea, could be better than Sancho, Foden etc. Starting to get minutes for Chelsea. Has great pace, dribbling skills, control and passing range.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Wasn't he left out of tour because he wanted to leave?
I thought he wanted to stay - but wanted a guarantee about playing time - he didnt get the guarantee so wouldn't sign the contract even though wages etc had been agreed - so they left him out and he said right I'm offski then

In fairness I think he made the right call as I'm not sure he would have got much playing time at all if he had stayed though if Im honest I would have expected him to sign with City and go on loan somewhere - not sure if he got a big signing bonus with dortmund but wasnt the feee £8m which is a lot for somebody who had not played for city

roonster09

Scout
I thought he wanted to stay - but wanted a guarantee about playing time - he didnt get the guarantee so wouldn't sign the contract even though wages etc had been agreed - so they left him out and he said right I'm offski then

In fairness I think he made the right call as I'm not sure he would have got much playing time at all if he had stayed though if Im honest I would have expected him to sign with City and go on loan somewhere - not sure if he got a big signing bonus with dortmund but wasnt the feee £8m which is a lot for somebody who had not played for city
Yeah he made right call, that's for sure.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Watched two of his games for them. He has got himself into contention for a place in the match day 16 for sure and should get a lot more minutes from here to the end of the season. He hasn’t reproduced the magic he showed at youth level yet but the signs are good. Lots to learn still. Got injured yesterday after coming on as a sub though.
What actually impresses me is his decision making. He has a very good understanding of what he can and can't do in particular situations, you barely see him lose the ball to over ambitious dribblings, too hopeful hollywood passes or overly selfish long shots. Something which for example will cost Emre Mor the career his talent deserves.
It's also true that he doesn't really show much magic at senior level, but that's probably understandable at age 17. Right now he reminds me a lot of Pulisic, it'll be interesting to see how he continues to develop.

p.s. his clever assist to Dortmund's winner might be lost in some highlight shows, but deserves a mention:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Keep a look out for Hudson Odoi at Chelsea, could be better than Sancho, Foden etc. Starting to get minutes for Chelsea. Has great pace, dribbling skills, control and passing range.
Yeah Hudson Odoi is looking like he'll be a star. Absolutely rapid but has the technical ability to make good use of it. Throw in Gomes and Sessegnon and England are going to absolutely stacked for quality wide and attacking players in the next few years.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah Hudson Odoi is looking like he'll be a star. Absolutely rapid but has the technical ability to make good use of it. Throw in Gomes and Sessegnon and England are going to absolutely stacked for quality wide and attacking players in the next few years.
There is Sancho, Sessegnon, Hudson Odoi, Foden, Gomes, Mount all coming through in those attacking mifield/wide forward positions, lots of talent. Mason Greenwood is also going from strength to strength for United and England this season and could be another one to add to the mix.

Mason Mount is doing well at Vitesse, had to play himself into the team but is now arguably their best player. He has 4 goals in his last 6 games from midfield. Scored this Bergkamp-eque peach against PSV earlier in the season. Hopefully we'll see him playing in England next season. I think the development of Mount and Gomes is important as they are the type of players England has failed to produce historically.

What actually impresses me is his decision making. He has a very good understanding of what he can and can't do in particular situations, you barely see him lose the ball to over ambitious dribblings, too hopeful hollywood passes or overly selfish long shots. Something which for example will cost Emre Mor the career his talent deserves.
It's also true that he doesn't really show much magic at senior level, but that's probably understandable at age 17. Right now he reminds me a lot of Pulisic, it'll be interesting to see how he continues to develop.
Seniors is a completely different level of intensity and speed to youth level. Hopefully once he comes to terms with the pace of the game fully he will start to do some of the ridiculous stuff he did at youth level.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There is Sancho, Sessegnon, Hudson Odoi, Foden, Gomes, Mount all coming through in those attacking mifield/wide forward positions, lots of talent. Mason Greenwood is also going from strength to strength for United and England this season and could be another one to add to the mix.

Mason Mount is doing well at Vitesse, had to play himself into the team but is now arguably their best player. He has 4 goals in his last 6 games from midfield. Scored this Bergkamp-eque peach against PSV earlier in the season. Hopefully we'll see him playing in England next season. I think the development of Mount and Gomes is important as they are the type of players England has failed to produce historically.

Quality goal. Can't say I've seen much of Mount but will keep an eye out for him from now on.

Classical Mechanic

Quality goal. Can't say I've seen much of Mount but will keep an eye out for him from now on.
He's from the Chelsea academy and was the U19 Euros 'Golden Player' last summer. His style is kind of like Ozil's. He can unlock defences with his passing, something England have sorely lacked.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
looks like he'll be out for several weeks with ankle ligament damage, shame just when he was breaking through. Similar to Foden getting a bad injury at a time when it looked like loads of game time was on the cards.