Jadon Sancho (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
On a side note, I’m so glad we never made a bid for Richarlison. Was painfully obvious he was never good enough, had about 6 months of decent form and people were talking about him like he was Romario.

Brophs

The One and Only
He basically engineered this move after getting an offer. Nobody shows such dissent as he as if they don't want out. Can't wait to see the back of him.
I suspect he’d have gotten the same result if he just asked ETH to leave. He’s been shit since he arrived so if he had an offer that might make both he and the club money, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have listened.

crossy1686

career ending
I suspect he’d have gotten the same result if he just asked ETH to leave. He’s been shit since he arrived so if he had an offer that might make both he and the club money, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have listened.
The club received a bid of £60m for him from Saudi Arabia right after his twitter post calling Ten Hag a liar. United accepted it and told his people but he fecked off to New York and had no intention of speaking to them.

Chairman Steve

There’s been questions of his commitment to the cause back in the Dortmund days, so it wouldn’t really surprise if he went to Saudi. He strikes me as someone who’s too easily distracted by all the perks that come with being an elite level athlete, thinks he’s made it, gets complacent and never improves as a player.

He wouldn’t be the only one I could level that accusation against though. We seem to harbour that culture at United.

Brophs

The One and Only
The club received a bid of £60m for him from Saudi Arabia right after his twitter post calling Ten Hag a liar. United accepted it and told his people but he fecked off to New York and had no intention of speaking to them.
Can’t say I’ve heard that before. The story that seemed to be knocking around was we’d had a Saudi bid for a loan deal but they wouldn’t commit to a mandatory buy clause.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Classic caf.
99% of caftards were delirious when he signed -- with an air of smugness due to the heavy discount from the summer before too.

It only goes to show how hard it is to get transfers to integrate right. All his performance data points were legit and world-class. And yet...

Only 20/20 hindsighters here would criticise the transfer when looking back.

Tender Teacher

I'd hate to see him go to Saudi Arabia.

So much talent - a top European club could easily still unlock it.

Cloud7

Would be amazing if we could ship him out so soon after his falling out

Gordon Godot

99% of caftards were delirious when he signed -- with an air of smugness due to the heavy discount from the summer before too.

It only goes to show how hard it is to get transfers to integrate right. All his performance data points were legit and world-class. And yet...

Not entirely due, there were some fairly clear issues with attitude from his time at City and Dortmund, and thats just the ones that were public. Plus German league stats need to be heavily discounted, then I read recently he prefers to play on left when we signed him to play on the right.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Brilliant news. Sell him and buy a proper staring RW.
We've had an entire decade of staring contests every time TonyV got invited to turn left by his fullback. Now the opposite with Antony, passing back whenever he is shown onto the byline.

I'd rather try something different and two-footed for once.

GazTheLegend

Yeah it's not like we panic bought him, it took two years of him playing fantastically well and THEN we got him. It was such a long transfer saga and it was really really hard to argue with it, because it felt like he was going to complete that front three of ours with Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho together.

.... But it felt the same with Mikhataryan.

... And Kagawa.

The Premier League seems to just be a graveyard for Dortmund no10's and maybe no10's from Germany in general given Keita's trouble at Liverpool.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would be surprise if Sancho wants to move there that early, his career hasn't really kick start yet... and not long ago he was being hailed as one of best youngster alongside with Haaland and Mbappe.

BarryWinks

About the only one of our players that I dislike. Downed tools on the team when other players would have knuckled down and fought for their place, especially seeing as Antony was his direct competitor.

Say what you like about Ten Haag, Sancho did not cover himself in glory with his behavior towards the team and the club. Bin him off.

Joseunited

Just another bang average player not fi to wear the United shirt, I don't care where he ends up.

Roboc7

Selling him to Saudi for a good fee and getting rid of
his wages completely is the best case scenario for us. Much more likely he’ll be loaned out with Utd paying vast majority of his wages before he’s sold for a cut price fee with a big payoff.

SungSam7

Honestly cannot remember one memorable game from him here.
Liverpool game last season, thought he was going to move on from there, sat I think VVD on his arse before finishing it calmly. Others would have shot it first time. Never thought after seeing that happen, that we would be here.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Wouldn't surprise me.

What do we reckon, little bit of time there before loaned to Newcastle on the cheap?
I reckon that they'd have to sack Eddie Howe first, Sancho doesn't have the work ethic that Howe requires

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would be brilliant really. I'm gutted how it's turned out as I thought he'd be a massive player for us and was buzzing when he signed. But I got that horribly wrong, abject failure of a signing.

crossy1686

career ending
Would be brilliant really. I'm gutted how it's turned out as I thought he'd be a massive player for us and was buzzing when he signed. But I got that horribly wrong, abject failure of a signing.
I think we all thought he’d go on to be a mainstay in the England team and be brilliant for us but his general application has been so poor that it’s hard to see how he will ever be the player we thought he could be.

I still remember the palpable disappointment in here when we wouldn’t pay £120m for him that summer. Could have been worse I guess.

Vault Dweller

I think we all thought he’d go on to be a mainstay in the England team and be brilliant for us but his general application has been so poor that it’s hard to see how he will ever be the player we thought he could be.

I still remember the palpable disappointment in here when we wouldn’t pay £120m for him that summer. Could have been worse I guess.
Indeed, and he never will be as you say. His attitude is stinking, and anyone demanding hard graft and application will struggle to get anything from him. Between this transfer, Antony, Mount to name but a few, we seriously have to start getting our act together in that department.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
We've had an entire decade of staring contests every time TonyV got invited to turn left by his fullback. Now the opposite with Antony, passing back whenever he is shown onto the byline.

I'd rather try something different and two-footed for once.
We're seeing enough daft red cards without anyone doing that.

Lay

One of the main reasons I don’t get excited for signings anymore. Terrible signings, heart of a mouse and slow as a tortoise

Irwin99

Yeah it's not like we panic bought him, it took two years of him playing fantastically well and THEN we got him. It was such a long transfer saga and it was really really hard to argue with it, because it felt like he was going to complete that front three of ours with Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho together.

.... But it felt the same with Mikhataryan.

... And Kagawa.

The Premier League seems to just be a graveyard for Dortmund no10's and maybe no10's from Germany in general given Keita's trouble at Liverpool
Yes it is interesting and on a similar note I never felt Mata produced anywhere near his Chelsea best at this club. It seems if you're not blessed with pace or if you're not a big or powerful guy like Sheringham, Rooney or Cantona then attacking 10s with a lack of pace really struggle at United for some reason. Obviously Sancho is more of a winger but he lacks that dynamic quality too.

Norris Cole

I wonder if he has just fallen out of love with the game and can't be convinced to change his view.

Hard for us mortals to understand but a lot of players talk about hating football by the end.

If that is the case for him, whilst I don't agree with his methods, playing walking football in SA for billions is probably a dream come true for him

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The worst signing in United's history. The sooner we get rid of him the better.

Marcus

What a waste of money. Thank goodness for the Saudis. At least we get in on some of the action of selling players over their actual value.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We could have just kept Dan James and not bothered with either Sancho or Anthony.
There are a few really good young English players who’d have been much better and infinitely cheaper signings for us with the benefit of hindsight. Eze, Olise, Gibbs-White to name three. Huge transfers rarely work out. Even more rarely from the BL. Doesn’t mean the BL is a bad source of players, just means I would hardly ever spend big money on a BL player unless they were unequivocally brilliant. Haaland, De Bruyne, Lewandowski level.

Otherwise I’d be capping my spend on that league to 40ishM. Wirtz looks a big talent from there, but I’d want a heavily incentivised deal to sign him. Like 40-50m up front and the rest in bonuses. Only BL player I’d spend big on right now, who looks a sure bet for any league in the world, is Musiala.

He was phenomenal at dortmund. I can’t explain how you can look so good at that level and then be so flat. He was explosive there too, hasn’t shown any of thy here.
TBF there were plenty of warning signs that most of us wanted to ignore. Including me. Was signed to play right wing, because that was our problem position, despite everyone knowing deep down he preferred the left. Never, ever possessed any extraordinary physical gifts, in that he wasn’t rapier quick or strong. Just a moderately quick acceleration. If you looked at a lot of his highlights from the BL, he tallied up great numbers taking advantage of space he wouldn’t be afforded in the PL, especially playing for a top team against low blocks. He also had lots of fitness issues at Dortmund, not so much with injuries, but returning from the off season in poor shape, being overweight etc. He was also admonished a few times for poor discipline and time keeping.

These were all things we chose to ignore, because we’ve been desperate for a revival of our fortunes for so long.

He’s clearly better than what he’s shown, but I don’t think he was ever anywhere near as good as any of us thought. A big reason he rarely, ever stood out for England, even at his peak Dortmund confidence days.

Another shit transfer where the club hasn’t done its homework or used a data driven approach. We can file Antony under that category too. Players who were signed under the “eye test”, by popular demand, or due to manager familiarity. I bet if you look at the underlying data of both, in metrics that would apply to the PL, the data would show them to be shit potential transfers.

Three years ago I think it was the Athletic who used a data driven analysis to analyse the gaps in United’s on field performance and then tried to match them with players whose on field metrics matched the needs of the team. The two names that stood out head and shoulders above the rest, in terms of being transformative in how we’d play were Camavinga and Frimpong. Who were both available at very reasonable fees at the time.

It wasn’t too long after we ignored what the data was telling us, by instead signing Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo; that it fell apart. At that point, another data driven analysis by the hugely unpopular Rangnick, suggested we buy Enzo Fernandez (available for <20m), Nkunku, Gvardiol (would’ve cost about what Casemiro cost at that time), Julian Alvarez (25m) and Luis Diaz. So there is quite literally evidence out there in the public domain that we could’ve had a team with Gvardiol, Frimpong, Camavinga, Enzo, Nkunku, Diaz and Alvarez for about what Sancho, Antony, Mount and Varane cost. We also wouldn’t have had to spend 65m on a 30 year old DM either.

And this is just shit in the public domain. Imagine how bad it is behind the scenes. The players we’ve ignored, the recommendations we’ve brushed aside. We set up a whole DoF style system under a proven DoF in Rangnick and then ditched it because of a bad six months as coach and on the advice of the new manager who wanted full control. Which is the antithesis of the whole purpose of having a DoF. This club just doesn’t have any joined up thinking.

Frankly, if United are interested in a player under the Glazers, I just assume that he is overpriced shit at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.