Jadon Sancho (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Please please have a good loan so we can at least actually recoup a margin of our initial fee. Unbelievably poor signing in hindsight. Possibly our worst post-SAF if I'm honest.

redcucumber

Thank Christ. Obviously isn't cut out for a team like United. Hopefully he plays well and we can sell for a decent fee in the summer.

Wilt

Sell to Utd for £73m, then get him back on loan plus part of his wages paid.

Fecking unbelievable! ….Utd have been well and truly shafted.

El-Manos

Don't buy from Dortmund anymore basically. Mhiki Kagwa, we always have terrible luck with them.

RuudTom83

Great news...I couldn't care less about the financials, but getting a bad egg out of the club is always a huge win.

Shinjch

Hopefully he can put together some performances to raise a bit of interest in him. Would be great to get him and his wages totally out of the club.

LuckyScout78

I think if Sancho performs well in Dortmund, we'd consider that offer. But it seems unlikely Wirtz moves clubs in 2024 and if he does, he'll surely stay away from United as he's planning his career very wisely so far.
At United he will become the most key player in the attack. He will bind the whole United attacking team together. Receive the ball from Mainoo and continue to serve and feeds Høljund and others attacking players.

Rasmund Høljund will love to play with Florian Wirtz.

Wirtz average have over 3 key passes in each game. Up there with top creative players like Foden and Bernardo Silva this season.

Other Wirtz moving option i can see replacement for Gundogan at Barca.

But again. Wirtz football vision, intelligence and understanding is so high. His attacking teammates will just love playing with him.
His observing and knowing where his teammates are, before receiving the pass is really high. It is ability that make Leverkusen look like day and night without him.

I will definitely spend 100 mill Euros on him.

And from deeper area he will has Mainoo to receive the ball from and Martinez from the back. With Martinez and Mainoo in the team. The passes from the back or midfield will not stop here. It will come to him.

So i do think. United slowly is having many enough players in the team that can passes the ball from the back, trough midfield if needed and to the attack. On top level conistently.

And a CF up there in Høljund, with times shall be a 20 goals + CF. So i do think United at this current moment can be the Leverkusen team before his long time injury.
The different between Leverkusen and United is clearly the quality and abilities of the wider players. Leverkusen has a higher level of wide players than United. I don't remember the names of the Leverkusen wide players at the moment i am writing. But as a whole team clearly Leverkusen at this moment is more consistently than United. From the backline to the attack. But key players of United backline had suffering with long time injury.

So i think United can close the gap betweem them and Leverkusen in the future.

But we never know what the future will bringh. If Wirtz are meant to come to Old Trafford. He will come and arrive.

And clearly if Ten Hag want to play proactive dominating football. He has to upgrade from Mason to Wirtz as the LCM/8 player.

RW?Garnacho? - Bruno - Mainoo - Wirtz - Rashford + Højlund = Then we are talking = top 4/5 in the years to come. And of course if the backline and GK has the same level and qualities as those 6.

Then i can see United is coming and climbing closer the top, slowly.

aeh1991

RW?Garnacho? - Bruno - Mainoo - Wirtz - Rashford + Højlund = Then we are talking = top 4/5 in the years to come. And of course if the backline and GK has the same level and qualities as those 6.

Then i can see United is coming and climbing closer the top, slowly.
Sounds absolutely unbalanced. We'd get thrashed by midtable clubs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't buy from Dortmund anymore basically. Mhiki Kagwa, we always have terrible luck with them.
More like - don't buy physically challenged wingers....

We're a team who has always been known for pace and directness on the wings. Kagawa, Mkhitaryan and Sancho were all combination type attackers who were playing wide sometimes. Sancho has some other issues that stopped him as he was more of a winger (but still not a direct individual type), but I think the point stands. Type of wingers we need and have always used successfully are guys like Coman, Leroy Sane, Ousmane Dembele, Niko Williams, etc... Garnacho is that type. The past 10 years we've been insistent on guys like Kagawa, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Sancho, Antony, or just a forward that is shoved wide and then wonder why it doesn't give a balanced team. We need actual wingers who can run with the ball at the fullbacks and get past them and make things happen, time and time again.

Dortmund as a team regularly has excellent players that are worth going after. It's about identifying them... Lewandowski, Hummels, Hakimi, Gundogan all would have been excellent signings for us and we were linked with all but Hakimi. As always, it's about having a good evaluation system, having the right plan, a clear plan where everybody is on the same page, and executing that plan.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
More like - don't buy physically challenged wingers....

We're a team who has always been known for pace and directness on the wings. Kagawa, Mkhitaryan and Sancho were all combination type attackers who were playing wide sometimes. Sancho has some other issues that stopped him as he was more of a winger (but still not a direct individual type), but I think the point stands. Type of wingers we need and have always used successfully are guys like Coman, Leroy Sane, Ousmane Dembele, Niko Williams, etc... Garnacho is that type. The past 10 years we've been insistent on guys like Kagawa, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Sancho, Antony, or just a forward that is shoved wide and then wonder why it doesn't give a balanced team. We need actual wingers who can run with the ball at the fullbacks and get past them and make things happen, time and time again.

Dortmund as a team regularly has excellent players that are worth going after. It's about identifying them... Lewandowski, Hummels, Hakimi, Gundogan all would have been excellent signings for us and we were linked with all but Hakimi. As always, it's about having a good evaluation system, having the right plan, a clear plan where everybody is on the same page, and executing that plan.
Not sure that's what you need. I get that those players are exciting, especially when you grew up watching them, but maybe it is time to move on and stop letting nostalgia determine today's decision making.

SAFMUTD

I think it was the best solution possible, Sancho has struggled mentally in the last years and loaning him to a know environment where he succeed before it's as a secure shot as it gets. Hopefully he can find motivation and put on some performances again at Dortmund. I think his chances here are over and it's just a matter of maximizing his value to get back some of the money invested.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

To be honest, I think Utd shafted themselves on this one.

Betson

To be honest, I think Utd shafted themselves on this one.
We did , as in the Antony case no one else was seriously in for Sancho yet we still ended up paying a ludicrous price and salary ., we effectively negotiated against ourselves on both players.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
you can’t buy from a farmer’s league then complain when you get a tractor.

stevoc

I think we all assumed that's where he'd play, but I'm not even sure that was the plan. I'm not sure there really was a plan.

I genuinely struggle to remember a good game from him, he's done his best work more centrally from what I can remember. If you look at what Greenwood did on our right wing compared to Sancho, there's no contest.
Fair but as I was saying Sancho has barely got a run of games on the right. I think he played there 2-3 times in a row under Carrick but was moved to the left under Rangnick.

stevoc

" I will continue to fight for this badge no matter what "

Good riddance Sancho, one of football's biggest hypocrites. Fighting for the badge but refusing to play for the team for 3 months thereafter.
Shame on you, you have showed no respect for the club, your team mates or the fans and have still pocketed 300k a week in this period.
You have showed a serious lack of professionalism, and i can never forgive you irrespective of your reasoning. The club gave you 3 months off last year on full pay.

You had the ideal platform and your lazy arrogant attention seeking attitude resulted in you throwing it away. There is no way back for you at united
i hope your career fizzles out and you end up on the bench for Partick Thistle.
Wasn't he banned?

Fridge chutney

Square peg in a round hole, and the peg turned out to have a pathetic attitude too. Good riddance, i hope he doesn't come back.

bosnian_red

Not sure that's what you need. I get that those players are exciting, especially when you grew up watching them, but maybe it is time to move on and stop letting nostalgia determine today's decision making.
Huh? You don't think for our wingers having guys like Sane, Dembele, Nico Williams (or Vini at Madrid) etc would be better than going for a link up play wide player? It's not nostalgia that is determining decision making as that's just an important part of top teams to have attackers who can run with the ball and dribble past their full backs. Bit dumb to try and make it sound like it's some old mentality when it's something that all the top teams have, or could use if the player is at the right level.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Huh? You don't think for our wingers having guys like Sane, Dembele, Nico Williams (or Vini at Madrid) etc would be better than going for a link up play wide player? It's not nostalgia that is determining decision making as that's just an important part of top teams to have attackers who can run with the ball and dribble past their full backs. Bit dumb to try and make it sound like it's some old mentality when it's something that all the top teams have, or could use if the player is at the right level.
The reigning UCL champion won the cup without any pacey wide players. And none of the players you mentioned are classic wingers. Plus the best and most impactful wingers of the last decade or so were actually wide playmakers like Messi, Neymar and Hazard.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
How? Did we force a poor attitude and work rate on the player?
In fact the club and the manager gave the player extra time and help to flourish and what it comes down to it seems is he can’t be arsed. Hard to hang that on the club.
You bought a player for big money when no other club were actively bidding on him & then gave him over the top money before he had proven himself at the club.
You either didn't do your homework on his attitude or chose to ignore it. It was well known at the time that his time keeping and attitude were suspect but you feigned shock when it turns out that his attitude & time keeping were poor.
Overall it is the prototype for how not to do a transfer.
Top clubs do research before splashing the cash.
Edit
Top clubs should do research before splashing the cash.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

The reigning UCL champion won the cup without any pacey wide players. And none of the players you mentioned are classic wingers. Plus the best and most impactful wingers of the last decade or so were actually wide playmakers like Messi, Neymar and Hazard.
I didn't say use classic wingers, but you need direct wingers who are capable of running at their fullbacks and disorganizing teams, creating space, etc. Ideally you want 2 way wingers who can do both, like those guys I mentioned.

Messi, Neymar and Hazard were all wingers who excelled at dribbling past their players and were "individuals" who could take on defenders and get past them at will. Obviously they were also more than that, especially with Messi. But they weren't just pass and move type link up attackers. There's a space for them, but putting those guys out wide doesn't work well at the top level.

City just got Doku. But had Grealish who was definitely an individual type who can get at fullbacks, carry the ball, etc. Mahrez was very much a winger who dribbled past his fullback and created space.

foolsgold

You bought a player for big money when no other club were actively bidding on him & then gave him over the top money before he had proven himself at the club.
You either didn't do your homework on his attitude or chose to ignore it. It was well known at the time that his time keeping and attitude were suspect but you feigned shock when it turns out that his attitude & time keeping were poor.
Perfect summation of events. The whole thing is a damming clusterfeck. We bought a mentally soft, lazy player for outrageous money, maybe we thought he'd buckle down at United, who really knows.

The worst of it is, he'll probably be back in June if Erik is sacked.

lex talionis

Edit
Top clubs should do research before splashing the cash.
Truth has been written. Club management failed to do their homework and we're paying the price for that failure. Even if the player in question might cost the club only 10m the club has every reason to do its due diligence on questions concerning his attitude before spending 10m plus wages on that player.

Status
Not open for further replies.