Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If we fail to sign him, I better not see any Glazer shills discussing affordability and other such excuses. This is down to our owners' pure greed.

Womp

idiot
A price was set at the beginning and we pursued one signing the whole summer, wasting time we could have utilised on bringing in other players, without any intention of paying that set price. I'm done

macheda14

I don't think it's that straight forward, though. It's common with almost any transaction (at least of £100m) to negotiate about the price, the structure etc. If it was as simple as "this is our price, take it or leave it" every time, we wouldn't ever need to negotiate anything. This goes for transfers, sponsors... Anything, really.
But unfortunately I think in this case where they don’t have to sell and the player isn’t agitating for a move then they hold all 52 cards. Maybe we have a joker, but more likely we’re holding that odd one with rules for bridge that everyone just chucks away.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
A price was set at the beginning and we pursued one signing the whole summer, wasting time we could have utilised on bringing in other players, without any intention of paying that set price. I'm done
We brought in Van De Beek while this as been dragging on. Just because sancho is in the papers it doesn’t mean it’s the only player we’ve been after.

But unfortunately I think in this case where they don’t have to sell and the player isn’t agitating for a move then they hold all 52 cards. Maybe we have a joker, but more likely we’re holding that odd one with rules for bridge that everyone just chucks away.
If they selling club holds all the cards the only option is to make them an offer they can't refuse. Which is never going to happen with these cnuts owning United.

Zoo

Woodward was definitely waiting for this to get to 1000 pages

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can't help but think that with Dortmunds position we should have moved on from this about 2/3 weeks ago and this week be bringing someone else in.

Maybe that's easy said with hindsight but hey ho.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
you're not though. You'll be back in this thread within the next 48 hours telling us how it's not happening. You are basically trying a psychological trick on yourself to try and alleviate your own predicted level of disappointment should this transfer not happen. You are also taking a low-risk predictive stance where you can turn around later and say "see I told you it wasn't going to happen". Why is this low-risk? because if you are wrong then the joy and positivity you will feel (and everyone else will feel if we get Sancho) will make it easy for your wrong prediction to be hidden away and not be cared about by you or anyone else.

You are essentially trying to create your own win/win scenario.

Next patient please.... ;)

Skåre Willoch

Pretty sure you have to read in between the lines, Dortmund know Utd will not pay the full amount especially with covid. Hence why they confident he is staying. There's still a slight chance utd will come up with a bid but it's highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think it's happened with Maguire and Bruno, but I can't see how you can compare every transfer to our previous transfers. Circumstances are different all the time, and at this time it sounds like united don't feel that 120m valuation is right.
I agree, I guess. But then again, most people think Dortmund will sell for €120m. Which, in my opinion, means they actually want to sell him. If they didn't, the number €120m wouldn't even be talked about.
I think they want to sell, and just want as much money as possible. Which is understandable, and I guess it would be a bad look to give in now. For both parts. United are "always budging and have terrible negotiators", or "Dortmund give in and reveal they were just posturing the entire time".

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
This is a lot of mental gymnastics for a team that has made it extremely clear by this point that they have no interest in reducing their valuation
Oh right. They’ve made it clear have they? Must be true. Absolutely no chance they’ll accept less than £108m during a pandemic meaning no match day revenue until next year for a player who wants to leave and who was dropped at the end of last season. Definitely logical. They’re not bluffing at all.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Because as I’ve told you before Dortmund’s entire strategy with the deadline was to put enough pressure on United that we’d cave. The club is under immense pressure to deliver and failing to sign target number one isn’t a good look. Using the English media is a way to crank up that pressure. Why would a journalist be writing a story about what Dortmund think based on what a United source had told him? That bit has clearly come from the Dortmund side.

Dortmund think United will eventually cough up the fee. United say yeah we’ve done that before but not this time. United think Dortmund are bluffing, want to sell and will sell for less. Dortmund are adamant all the other times they’ve said they’d never sell and have then sold are not like this time. It’s the most blatant game of poker you’d get.

Unless people actually think we’re about to go sign Bale for Christ sake.
Yeah I know, it's always "something something reverse psycholoy and pressure", but how does that article create actually game changing pressure? It doesn't even set up a (new) pay up or else threat, like a deadline, the promise of a contract extension or a supposed competitor entering the race. It's just the BBC picking up on and repeating what Dortmund and their people have consistently been saying directly and indirectly for over a month now.

CG1010

We brought in Van De Beek while this as been dragging on. Just because sancho is in the papers it doesn’t mean it’s the only player we’ve been after.
But surely the entire transfer strategy is affected by the assumption that you would be paying atleast 80-90 million for one player. Now as it stands, we will be left with severely underspent transfer budget even as we have massive first XI and bench holes. We run the risk of wasting another precious year.

Womp

idiot
you're not though. You'll be back in this thread within the next 48 hours telling us how it's not happening. You are basically trying a psychological trick on yourself to try and alleviate your own predicted level of disappointment should this transfer not happen. You are also taking a low-risk predictive stance where you can turn around later and say "see I told you it wasn't going to happen". Why is this low-risk? because if you are wrong then the joy and positivity you will feel (and everyone else will feel if we get Sancho) will make it easy for your wrong prediction to be hidden away and not be cared about by you or anyone else.

You are essentially trying to create your own win/win scenario.

Next patient please.... ;)
Good attempt, but no. Sancho is hardly the be all and end all for me. What I want to see is ambition and proper planning. Sancho isn't the only RW we could go for, I would have been just as happy with us taking a punt on Dembele or even someone like a Dybala. I would have even been happy with us utilising that money instead in strengthening the other positions, maybe a DM and a CB, some positions we need to address.

Is it frustrating we won't be signing Sancho? Of course. What's much more frustrating though is the fact that this has all looked like pointless posturing for weeks as justification for us having a quiet window. Still time of course, so hopefully we get going, but I'm not holding my breath

bsCallout

It's obvious how this is playing out.

We have plenty of weeks left of the window so why give them the money now.

I expect United to pay 120m EUR.

We are clearly negotiating to get any improvement possible before we just pay up. We'll try to tempt Dortmund with everything except the full fee until there is no other option.

If we don't pay up the people involved will be slaughtered for not using that money on any other important targets/positions.

SATA

We seemingly have agreed to the 120M price they are asking for but not the structure and type of add ons they want? I can see us making a few more modifications in that case before calling it a day

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I'm thinking this is the last roll of the dice for Woodward. Hes pushing the were gonna walk away angle in the hopes that Dortmund give in and accept a good payment structure, especially with Covid looking to hit hard again, they'll be banking on Sancho not being worth as much next year.

This obviously wont work, Dortmund won't budge, we can all see that, so that leaves two options. Walk away or give Dortmund what they want. Its unlikely we'll give them €120m in one pop so we're likely going to walk away and look at a loan deal, likely for Bale I bet. Yippee... :rolleyes:

Brophs

The One and Only
I would guess there's plenty of road left in this one, but if we don't end up signing him, after having briefed that we were confident and having made a big show of having made progress on the personal terms/agent fees, it won't look great. In truth, I don't think you can criticise the club if they don't feel okay about spending that sort of money in this climate. The criticism should be reserved for if/when it turns out that we misjudged the situation and Dortmund don't cave. That's the sort of judgement we assume these people are so well paid for.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yeah I know, it's always "something something reverse psycholoy and pressure", but how does that article create actually game changing pressure? It doesn't even set up a (new) pay up or else threat, like a deadline, the promise of a contract extension or a supposed competitor entering the race. It's just the BBC picking up on and repeating what Dortmund and their people have been saying directly and indirectly for over a month now.
Because as you can see from this thread everyone is in meltdown. I haven’t checked twitter/Facebook but I’m assuming some not very pleasant things are being said towards the Woodmaster general. That may not matter much in isolation but it does create a narrative. There is no way the scenes at Old Trafford last season in December/January with the anger towards the board/Woodward are good for the brand which ultimately is all the Glazers care about.

reddevilchennai

We would look foolish when we go in for him next summer and pay the exact 120m demanded by Dortmund.

FFS we need a DOF.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
But surely the entire transfer strategy is affected by the assumption that you would be paying atleast 80-90 million for one player. Now as it stands, we will be left with severely underspent transfer budget even as we have massive first XI and bench holes. We run the risk of wasting another precious year.
Fair point.
I just don’t agree with the notion that because we’re after a specific player that all attention is on that and not on other potential players too

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I would guess there's plenty of road left in this one, but if we don't end up signing him, after having briefed that we were confident and having made a big show of having made progress on the personal terms/agent fees, it won't look great. In truth, I don't think you can criticise the club if they don't feel okay about spending that sort of money in this climate. The criticism should be reserved for if/when it turns out that we misjudged the situation and Dortmund don't cave. That's the sort of judgement we assume these people are so well paid for.
I agree with all this, it’s a lot of money at this time. We’ve thrown enough around the last few years wastefully that doesn’t help.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Because as you can see from this thread everyone is in meltdown. I haven’t checked twitter/Facebook but I’m assuming some not very pleasant things are being said towards the Woodmaster general. That may not matter much in isolation but it does create a narrative. There is no way the scenes at Old Trafford last season in December/January with the anger towards the board/Woodward are good for the brand which ultimately is all the Glazers care about.
And you think Woodward or the Glazers are going to make the decision on whether or not to pull the trigger on a club record signing based on a few muppets going in meltdown. Again: you think the world revolves around you, but it doesn't. Anyone else can see why a club might be reluctant to spend that much money in times of unprecedented crisis, they will have no problems explaining that one to the press, especially when the next financial statements are released.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
No information as to why Dortmund have not completed the move which will facilitate Sancho to United.

If Dortmund fail to complete negotiations for a Sancho replacement by COP Friday, it is expected we will move for Brooks. A deal is all but oven-ready.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm thinking this is the last roll of the dice for Woodward. Hes pushing the were gonna walk away angle in the hopes that Dortmund give in and accept a good payment structure, especially with Covid looking to hit hard again, they'll be banking on Sancho not being worth as much next year.

This obviously wont work, Dortmund won't budge, we can all see that, so that leaves two options. Walk away or give Dortmund what they want. Its unlikely we'll give them €120m in one pop so we're likely going to walk away and look at a loan deal, likely for Bale I bet. Yippee... :rolleyes:
Since I guess most English fans might have missed it: This weekend, the first clubs were allowed spectators again. Ranges 5.000-10.000 I think. Right now there are talks about allowing 30-40% of max capacity in sports arenas in all of Germany again. That would equal around 30.000 spectators for Dortmund. Initially, it was said the plan shouldn't be applied earlier than October but new reports suggest it'll come rather sooner than later.

Squeaky Bumtime

Since I guess most English fans might have missed it: This weekend, the first clubs were allowed spectators again. Ranges 5.000-10.000 I think. Right now there are talks about allowing 30-40% of max capacity in sports arenas in all of Germany again. That would equal around 30.000 spectators for Dortmund. Initially, it was said the plan shouldn't be applied earlier than October but new reports suggest it'll come rather sooner than later.
That doesnt mean it wont go back to empty stands in a month or 2.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
No information as to why Dortmund have not completed the move which will facilitate Sancho to United.

If Dortmund fail to complete negotiations for a Sancho replacement by COP Friday, it is expected we will move for Brooks. A deal is all but oven-ready.
No one cares.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Why the sudden negativity? Of course he’s going to play tonight. We haven’t even made a bid ffs! Dortmund aren’t going to weaken their team on the off chance we make a bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.