Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

united for life

What are we doing really? Are we waiting for the deadline day to see if dortmund will accept lower fees? Is this our strategy? Talks about sancho have been on for more than a month. Take a decision already. Any alternatives? Any plan B? The lack of urgency in the transfer market is shocking! We had a good season last year and we need to strengthen our squad to build on that. So far, we haven’t got our #1 target, haven’t approached alternatives, we haven’t sold players we don’t need. What kind of transfer market is this!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You’re right and Ole has presented long term options to the board in Bellingham, Haaland and Sancho and they’re going to fail on all 3. That’s on Ed for failing to get 3 young exciting players to this team. Ole clearly sounded out all 3 about their interest and they passed the first test. All of them are/were interested in joining but the club ultimately failed to do its job in getting the deals over the line.

The united board is tone deaf and comically hypocritical. Demanding a Covid discount for Sancho but failing to to give one to Roma for Smalling, and now complaining of the toxic nature of twitter yet boasting about our social media presence.
What is Ed supposed to do if they chose Dortmund? Both players were advised that playing for a big club came too early in their careers and they needed to transition into the status instead.

That has feck all to do with Ed Woodward.

K_Ash

Did Kay actually go for £75.8m ? and BvD has been asking for £108m

macheda14

Regarding next summer him going to other clubs:

Real seem to want Mbappe.

Bayern aren’t a side that break the bank - they’ve paid 75 mill once in their history I doubt they’d pay 100 mill / Dortmund would just say no.

Barca have little money and are struggling to offload all their players.

PSG if they lose Mbappe you could see that happening, but Sancho might not want to go to France. Also you’d imagine they might try and go for the next big French star I.e. Cherki. Although maybe they go for a Liverpool player.

Liverpool’s finances don’t seem too hot, they can’t afford 100 mill unless they sell one of Mane or Salah and again who is going to take them - maybe PSG.

Maybe Pep leaves and City want him, but it looks like they will be going for Messi - even though he’ll be free his wages will be astronomical.

Chelsea have just completely rejuvenated their side, they may still have a lot of money left over. But if they don’t get Rice this summer then they’ll be going for him and a CB next summer.

I just don’t think next year will be as competitive as people think. The only scenario I see it turning out poorly is Mbappe to Real, Salah/Mane to PSG and Sancho to Liverpool.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You’re right and Ole has presented long term options to the board in Bellingham, Haaland and Sancho and they’re going to fail on all 3. That’s on Ed for failing to get 3 young exciting players to this team. Ole clearly sounded out all 3 about their interest and they passed the first test. All of them are/were interested in joining but the club ultimately failed to do its job in getting the deals over the line.

The united board is tone deaf and comically hypocritical. Demanding a Covid discount for Sancho but failing to to give one to Roma for Smalling, and now complaining of the toxic nature of twitter yet boasting about our social media presence.
Seriously mate ? Haaland wanted a cheap release clause? You would be fine with that ? Not to mention, we just had a brilliant season from Martial.

Bellingham wanted playing time fully - you would start him above Bruno or Pogba every week ?

Can't believe people are so ignorant.

matsdf

Skybet odds now back in our favor. Not much, but I'll take that as Friday optimism.

Giggsy13

What is Ed supposed to do if they chose Dortmund? Both players were advised that playing for a big club came too early in their careers and they needed to transition into the status instead.

That has feck all to do with Ed Woodward.
Right, so Ed and Judge who are leading the charge in negotiations aren’t at fault. Are you out of your mind? Good clubs can pull young players like Bellingham and Haaland if you have the right structure at the club.

Madrid is a massive club, hard first team to break into with a Galacticos culture yet they’ve been scooping up some of the world’s best young players because they have a footballing structure in place. We lost out on our targets to Dortmund because the primary negotiators are two accountants who have no idea on how to sell the footballing side to players like Bellingham and Haaland. The fact we couldn’t get a highly rated young English international to come to one of the country’s most decorated clubs is shameful.

Now contrast our failure in bringing in players for the first team to what Nicky Butt is pulling off for the U-18s and reserves. Mejbri last year and 3 highly rated young Spaniards from big club academies in La Liga. Surely you can spot the difference in why we’re having success in recruitment in one phase of the club and failure in the other? Having a footballing person in charge of negotiations would make a hell of a difference. Judge and Ed are massive failures.

Squeaky Bumtime

This sounds and looks like a Sportbible post which isn't good at all.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Financial discipline in a time of crisis is priority number 1 for any prudently run business. There will be no fans for probably the entire season ahead and people still expect us to smash our transfer record.

I have no problem with us not paying Dortmund a pre covid price and I hope we dont turn out to be the one and only idiot club to pay over 100m for a player this window. If we have to wait another season then so be it.
You have to be aware that 120m euros is an actual Covid discount, surely?

£108m was not what Sancho would be bandied about at in an unaffected world.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Right, so Ed and Judge who are leading the charge in negotiations aren’t at fault. Are you out of your mind? Good clubs can pull young players like Bellingham and Haaland if you have the right structure at the club.

Madrid is a massive club, hard first team to break into with a Galacticos culture yet they’ve been scooping up some of the world’s best young players because they have a footballing structure in place. We lost out on our targets to Dortmund because the primary negotiators are two accountants who have no idea on how to sell the footballing side to players like Bellingham and Haaland. The fact we couldn’t get a highly rated young English international to come to one of the country’s most decorated clubs is shameful.

Now contrast our failure in bringing in players for the first team to what Nicky Butt is pulling off for the U-18s and reserves. Mejbri last year and 3 highly rated young Spaniards from big club academies in La Liga. Surely you can spot the difference in why we’re having success in recruitment in one phase of the club and failure in the other? Having a footballing person in charge of negotiations would make a hell of a difference. Judge and Ed are massive failures.
Are you broken? Have you looked at the talents coming through our ranks and how we've brought in fantastic youth talent in the past couple years? Can you name a single top club that went close on Bellingham or Haaland before they were nipped by Dortmund? No?

Exactly. You can't, so pipe down about blaming the board about shit that's not got anything to do with them. Two players wanted a medium sized club before moving to a massive one. Big feck, that's not a stick to beat Woodward with.

As mentioned above you seem to have some sort of schoolboy opinion on these two transfers.

SmallCaine

Bayern aren’t a side that break the bank - they’ve paid 75 mill once in their history I doubt they’d pay 100 mill / Dortmund would just say no.

PSG if they lose Mbappe you could see that happening, but Sancho might not want to go to France. Also you’d imagine they might try and go for the next big French star I.e. Cherki. Although maybe they go for a Liverpool player.

Liverpool’s finances don’t seem too hot, they can’t afford 100 mill unless they sell one of Mane or Salah and again who is going to take them - maybe PSG.

Maybe Pep leaves and City want him, but it looks like they will be going for Messi - even though he’ll be free his wages will be astronomical.

Chelsea have just completely rejuvenated their side, they may still have a lot of money left over. But if they don’t get Rice this summer then they’ll be going for him and a CB next summer.

I just don’t think next year will be as competitive as people think. The only scenario I see it turning out poorly is Mbappe to Real, Salah/Mane to PSG and Sancho to Liverpool.
Why would barca be out of the equation, just by offloading messi and Suarez they will save 75-80mn on wages per year. Also the whole sancho won't go to France is a fantasy utd fans seem to have concocted, sancho left England at the age of 17, why would he have any big issues going to France, especially if psg decide to pay him what they pay mbappe. You are also discounting what would happen if psg play hard ball and refuse to sell mbappe, madrid will have money to pay both his high wage and fee if they can't get mbappe.

And the biggest problem you are ignoring for next summer is what happens if we hit a rough patch and don't make top 4, chelsea have improved immensely, arsenal have improved, Tottenham wont be as bad as last season and they have also improved a bit. It won't be like last season where we somehow after being crap for half a season still snuck in. Vdb is a good signing but our main worries the rw and cb haven't been fixed, rashford and martial are our only forwards, our next best option is a 18 year old into his 2nd season and it just gets worse from there and unlike liverpool or city we have never been lucky with injuries.

Squeaky Bumtime

Are you broken? Have you looked at the talents coming through our ranks and how we've brought in fantastic youth talent in the past couple years? Can you name a single top club that went close on Bellingham or Haaland before they were nipped by Dortmund? No?

Exactly. You can't, so pipe down about blaming the board about shit that's not got anything to do with them. Two players wanted a medium sized club before moving to a massive one. Big feck, that's not a stick to beat Woodward with.
Be careful, you'll be called a Woodward sap soon.

Leonzo1

That's a stretch. Same can be said the other way around about every club.
Liverpool have saved money for a while and may want to rejuvenate the side and replace Salah or Mane.
PSG will need to replace Mbappe when he leaves.
Barca also need a rejuvenation, very much a possibility they will need to replace Messi with another up and coming superstar.
City haven't splashed on a winger for a while and they just lost Sane so there's a spot open replacing Mahrez.

Fact is if we don't get him this Summer we'll have plenty of competition next summer. A free run for a player of his level especially considering his age and potential will not come around often.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Knowing what you know now, if you were in charge, what deals would you have offered both players, and how would you manage the consequences of those deals? Really intrigued to know.

Giggsy13

As mentioned above you seem to have some sort of schoolboy opinion on these two transfers.
I think you have a very difficult time with reading comprehension. Our youth ranks are filled with talent for what reason, who is leading that charge? Nicky Butt. That’s the difference between our success with recruitment for our youth teams and U-18s in contrast to our first team.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You have to be aware that 120m euros is an actual Covid discount, surely?
£108m was not what Sancho would be bandied about at in an unaffected world.
Basic premise in economics for a seller is there is no point setting a price no-one can afford.
Especially for perishable goods, that will simply spoil if left on the shelf for too long!

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think you have a very difficult time with reading comprehension. Our youth ranks are filled with talent for what reason, who is leading that charge? Nicky Butt. That’s the difference between our success with recruitment for our youth teams and U-18s in contrast to our first team.
So Nicky Butt just went out on his own and negotiated all terms, fees and contracts when we signed McNeil, a player who raked in 600 goals in City's academy? Did he do the same when we signed Alejandro Garnacho, Marc Jurado and Alvaro Fernandez ?

How about Hannibal Mejbri? You also failed to answer my question. Which other top club came close to signing Bellingham or Haaland?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I'm going to go full Karen on Ed if he doesn't get this done!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yep. I still had my season ticket back then and he got booed by the home fans quite a few times when he was having a strop.
Yeah. I went to our home against Villa,otherwise known as the Macheda match. Ronnie scored 2 goals but his attitude throughout the game was pretty rubbish.
After a while the fans I was next too were just laughing at how obvious it was that he clearly didn't want to be here any longer.
Off the ball he was moaning at literally everything and everybody.:lol:

rotherham_red

My major motivation to put Rashford on the bench is not his talent, we all believe he's a good player, but he's been starting for us probably for the past 5 seasons regularly. he has been unchallenged for most of this time and we really need to give him a kick in the backside to actually reach his true potential. It's my personal opinion that he has become complacent and Martial who has been in and out of the team has finally benefitted from being showered upon with a manager's full trust and commitment.

But yes Greenwood needs to be interchanged regularly or else he'll become another Rashford, a good player but just not achieving their true potential.

Martial on the left as an inside forward or second striker role, with an attacking left back covering the width, while Sancho holding the width on the right along with Mason in the middle would be absolutely devastating for any team to face.

You can't let your fullbacks be isolated or they'll just run past you and if mason gets the ball anywhere he'll work the goalkeeper. One of the best in Europe probably
Rashford literally and figuratively carried us on his back when the chips were really down - when there was no Bruno, no Martial and no Pogba. His application and endeavour should never be in question. If there was no Rashford, there'd be no 3rd, 4th, or potentially even top 6. It really is as simple as that.

And to think he needs a kick up the proverbial rather than Martial, who has a long history of being inconsistent in his application, is a strange conclusion to reach to say the least.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Utd will still get top 4 this year without Sancho. They are not going to win the title this year either so why not wait another year to see if he really, really is the real deal?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Basic premise in economics for a seller is there is no point setting a price no-one can afford.
Especially for perishable goods, that will simply spoil if left on the shelf for too long!
There is a bottom line that we seem to think we can skirt around. Contrary to the cat and mouse brinkmanship we seemingly are engaging in, Dortmund have an appreciating not depreciating asset, which seems to be omitted in all this speculative talk.

If anyone believes that not to be the case, but wants Sancho here, believing him to be one of this generations' superstars, they are engaging in serious mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance.

His trajectory should see him consolidate his standing at the very least, but it's absolutely reasonable to believe he will deliver unless mentally shot (which he doesn't look to be - he's not agitating to move nor acting up) or physically injured.

The absolute last thing anyone with eyes on him should want is for the Euros to roll round and this kid compound a stellar 3rd season in a row with a breakout international major.

That would put him into another tier than we're discussing now, one we probably can't entertain, Covid-19, or not.

If we've had eyes on him for all these years, this discount should be music to our ears because he would not be £108m in a normal season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Utd will still get top 4 this year without Sancho. They are not going to win the title this year either so why not wait another year to see if he really, really is the real deal?
We are one striker injury away from a 7th position in the league. And if the injury (or two) extends beyond January 2021 when we lose Ighalo then we are royally fooked. Then the mad scramble begins in Jan.

Paying full price and closing the deal for Sancho may save us that need to buy another striker, albeit a backup in January as it gives Ole some tactical flexibility -- just like DVB does for us in the midfield.

UncleBob

There is a bottom line that we seem to think we can skirt around. Contrary to the cat and mouse brinkmanship we seemingly are engaging in, Dortmund have an appreciating not depreciating asset, which seems to be omitted in all this speculative talk.

If anyone believes that not to be the case, but wants Sancho here, believing him to be one of this generations' superstars, they are engaging in serious mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance.

His trajectory should see him consolidate his standing at the very least, but it's absolutely reasonable to believe he will deliver unless mentally shot (which he doesn't look to be - he's not agitating to move nor acting up) or physically injured.

The absolute last thing anyone with eyes on him should want is for the Euros to roll round and this kid compound a stellar 3rd season in a row with a breakout international major.

That would put him into another tier than we're discussing now, one we probably can't entertain, Covid-19, or not.

If we've had eyes on him for all these years, this discount should be music to our ears because he would not be £108m in a normal season.
His price isn't going to increase, but it isn't going down either

romufc

We are one striker injury away from a 7th position in the league. And if the injury (or two) extends beyond January 2021 when we lose Ighalo then we are royally fooked. Then the mad scramble begins in Jan.

Paying full price for Sancho may save us that need to buy another striker, albeit a backup in January as it gives Ole some tactical flexibility.
Greenwood can play as a ST too, well he is a striker playing as a make shift RW.

The same applies to other clubs when their main players are out injured. Liverpool are fecked if Salah is injured. City look weaker with Aguero out. Kane and Spurs.

Injuries can happen to any team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His price isn't going to increase, but it isn't going down either
If he has a 3rd season in a row at the same level or above what he's shown plus performs at the Euros, you're not getting him for his current rate.

Speculative risk reduces with every season he consolidates - part of why he's priced at what he is now is the unknown of whether he can perform at the same level in England as he has in Germany. If we're not careful, that will no longer be a factor if he delivers on platforms that supercede, such as the CL and Euros.

LoneStar

What are we doing really? Are we waiting for the deadline day to see if dortmund will accept lower fees? Is this our strategy? Talks about sancho have been on for more than a month. Take a decision already. Any alternatives? Any plan B? The lack of urgency in the transfer market is shocking! We had a good season last year and we need to strengthen our squad to build on that. So far, we haven’t got our #1 target, haven’t approached alternatives, we haven’t sold players we don’t need. What kind of transfer market is this!
Surely that’s backwards. If we wait till deadline day, they can’t get any replacements in. Why would they sell then? I have no clue what is going on in this saga, but every day makes it more probable that we won’t be signing him.

Giggsy13

So Nicky Butt just went out on his own and negotiated all terms, fees and contracts when we signed McNeil, a player who raked in 600 goals in City's academy? Did he do the same when we signed Alejandro Garnacho, Marc Jurado and Alvaro Fernandez ?

How about Hannibal Mejbri? You also failed to answer my question. Which other top club came close to signing Bellingham or Haaland?
If you're indirectly suggesting that the ability to negotiate deals for academy and U-18s players is evidence of Ed and Judge's overall competence then I'm sure you would appreciate that negotiating a deal for another club's academy player is vastly different to a negotiation for a first team player. There is more certainty regarding fee structures for academy to academy switches since its highly regulated to avoid corruption and under the table deals. So negotiating a deal for McNeil for example, is a lot easier than negotiating a deal for a first team player. I'm not even sure Judge is the one who leads the negotiations for our U-18s that could be delegated elsewhere. However, I would think that there is more heavy lifting done by Nicky Butt to convince a 16 year old and his parents from Spain, as a perfect example this summer, that a move to United is better for their football development.

The same cannot be said for our first team negotiations and that is where the problem lies. Ole may speak to the players but Matt Judge is not a footballing man and is leading the negotiations. Would a DOF made a difference for Bellingham or Haaland? I believe it would have because you have Ole and a DOF selling the club vision not an accountant who is only concerned about crunching numbers. I think that just shows the evidence of a major disconnect.

The fact no other big club came close to signing either one of them is actually a bigger indictment of how poor we are at negotiating transfers. Our only real competition was Dortmund and embarrassingly lost out on a young up and coming English talent to a German club. That's pretty shameful for the biggest club in England. Haaland's deal had other factors involved, I'll admit that but again the fact we lost out to Dortmund when had a need for another striker at the club is embarrassing.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Im visiting Ed’s house if this dosen’t go through!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

there will be no 'normal season' for several years, just like every other industry, covid19 as set a 'new normal' and thats where we will be for some time. The world has changed forever and no - one knows what comes next.

I have no doubt that Sancho will become a better footballer, that's not the question. The problem with such elite and expensive players is the market for them is extremely small. I have serious doubts though on whether the football economy will dramatically improve next summer, when there will be more top level talent on sale. Whilst Sancho should be a better player next summer, I doubt he will generate a higher fee.

BVB have been developing Sancho to sell specifically to Manchester United. We are the obvious buyer and its an easy sell. I doubt BVB will risk that sale in this window.

All educated guess work of course.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If you're indirectly suggesting that the ability to negotiate deals for academy and U-18s players is evidence of Ed and Judge's overall competence then I'm sure you would appreciate that negotiating a deal for another club's academy player is vastly different to a negotiation for a first team player. There is more certainty regarding fee structures for academy to academy switches since its highly regulated to avoid corruption and under the table deals. So negotiating a deal for McNeil for example, would be much easier to play for our U-18s is a lot easier than negotiating a deal for a first team player. I'm not even sure Judge is the one who leads the negotiations for our U-18s that could be delegated elsewhere. However, I would think that there is more heavy lifting done by Nicky Butt to convince a 16 year old and his parents from Spain, as a perfect example this summer, that a move to United is better for their football development.

The same cannot be said for our first team negotiations and that is where the problem lies. Ole may speak to the players but Matt Judge is not a footballing man and is leading the negotiations. Would a DOF made a difference for Bellingham or Haaland? I believe it would have because you have Ole and a DOF selling the club vision not an accountant who is only concerned about crunching numbers.

The fact no other big club came close to signing either one of them is actually a bigger indictment of how poor we are at negotiating transfers. Our only real competition was Dortmund and embarrassingly lost out on a young up and coming English talent to a German club. That's pretty shameful for the biggest club in England. Haaland's deal had other factors involved, I'll admit that but again the fact we lost out to Dortmund when had a need for another striker at the club is embarrassing.
Taking out the recruitment of younger talent and focusing only on younger players for the first team. If two players wanted Dortmund because Man Utd is too big a stage for them, what the feck do you expect Ed to do. Make us a smaller club? The only embarrassment is your logic to shit on Woody and Judge for not securing Bellingham and Haaland. They said no because they wanted time to develop at a smaller club before making a big move. That was well reported at the time - and our negotiations can't exactly do much about this. They aren't hypnotising the potential players, although you probably expect them to

Status
Not open for further replies.