Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm willing to bet Sancho will have been sold by this time next year... but not to us. Can just see others coming in and getting the deal done in 20 minutes
100m in 20 mins? Only oil rich or Chinese owners can afford that

GameOn

For me, you can't just go round trying to boot these kind of clubs to the side because you're bigger than them. It smacks of what happened with Spurs and Levy who we had a decent relationship with before it turned to unfettered hate and Levy made it his personal business to try and rinse us rather than be amicable so that we'd steer clear in future, which we have. There's no reason to sour these relationships nor act like that. Even if you're using your stature, you finesse, not strong arm. Nobody likes a bully or a bigshot and it becomes a matter of principle to stand up to them, which is completely avoidable with a bit of tact. Evra and Rio alluded to it, and it's pretty clear in our conduct that we have nobody dealing with these clubs who smooths the process.

As @antohan said earlier, these business practices Ed probably had success with in his former career are not transferable and have made him/us a completely different entity to what we should be. You use your name to unsettle the player and then you use your negotiating team to eek out the best deal and at the end of the process you establish a strong working relationship that you can tap into further down the line. It's more like a madman taking chunks out of the pipeline with how we're bumbling along and that proverbial axe should have been taken out of Ed's hands if he has no idea how to wield the thing. In this instance, he's strengthened the position of the club he was negotiating with... how can he then be allowed to have free rein going into other transfer windows?

I've said before that I sincerely believe Woodward is trying his best and wants the adulation and repute of being a savvy, master negotiator and that he certainly does not revel in being a heel for the Glazers, but he has to have the humility and self-awareness to say he doesn't know what he's doing and employ others that do. Hell, take all the credit after the i's are dotted and t's are crossed, if that's what sates your ego, but step aside and take care of affairs that you do know what you're doing in!
I mean ... can anyone really blame Dortmund?

First of all they are not a small club, they're a club on the second level of European clubs (like Tottenham, Atletico etc.) and they want to become a "big club" (unrealistic, but it is their goal).

They set a deadline, named the price for Sancho and were as straightforward as you can get ("€120 million or nothing"), while also revealing that Sancho recently even extended his contract until 2023 and that they therefore don't need to sell him this window.

Enter United and Woodward.

Good ol' Woody & Co. basically made it clear, that they gave a feck about Dortmund's deadline and that they actually thought, that United held all the aces in this saga. That's also emphasized by the reports of really low offers (compared to the price Dortmund was asking) etc.

Of course Dortmund would interpret this as United being arrogant and disrespectful.

Reactions: Fortitude

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
So this is completely dead then? I was hoping to see him in the PL

el3mel

I mean ... can anyone really blame Dortmund?

First of all they are not a small club, they're a club on the second level of European clubs (like Tottenham, Atletico etc.) and they want to become a "big club" (unrealistic, but it is their goal).

They set a deadline, named the price for Sancho and were as straightforward as you can get ("€120 million or nothing"), while also revealing that Sancho recently even extended his contract until 2023 and that they therefore don't need to sell him this window.

Enter United and Woodward.

Good ol' Woody & Co. basically made it clear, that they gave a feck about Dortmund's deadline and that they actually thought, that United held all the aces in this saga. That's also emphasized by the reports of really low offers (compared to the price Dortmund was asking) etc.

Of course Dortmund would interpret this as United being arrogant and disrespectful.
Exactly. Never really understood the idea of insulting BVB in this saga. It's their player. They are fine to put on their price as they value him. They did nothing wrong. Just because people are still thinking they are just a selling club they wanted them to accept any offer coming! Ridiculous really. They are ambitious and they have a very good team and want to keep it together.

Honestly fair play to them on keeping their stance at their price and deadline day.

Terminator

Clear cut opportunity to get potentially the worlds best RW. A position that the club has been lacking in for so long and we fecked it up. Disgrace and I'm lost for words.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Clear cut opportunity to get potentially the worlds best RW. A position that the club has been lacking in for so long and we fecked it up. Disgrace and I'm lost for words.
Unbelievable really isn’t it? A complete open goal and we’ve missed from a yard out. Would only happen to us. Football really does suck at the moment.

davidmichael

Do you think Ole wanted Cavani? I genuinely think he has little to no power when it comes to transfers.
This is something Moyes, Van Gaal and Jose have all said too so it looks like it’s a genuine thing. The one constant in this clusterfeck we’ve been in for the past 7 years is Woodward and I think it’s clear now where the problem is.

redshaw

Could be a blessing for him

Dortmund won't have an issue selling to Chelsea next summer for ~90m. Sancho seems tailor made for Chelsea in the future if they can sort out the fees and silly agent fees now they know Money Bags United won't be paying up and mostly likely we'll find it hard to finish 4th anyway.

RRCE

This should have been the easiest deal of the summer, but United found a way to screw it up. Arrogance and incompetence on full display. I can’t wait for press briefing that United never even bid for Sancho.

Chief123

As a chief muppet, yes I’m absolutely gutted that this never happened. Yes it’s been an absolute shit show of a window.

It’s not the fact we’ve missed out on signing him this window which is the hard part, it’s the fact that’s most likely the end of the road in getting Sancho. We lost a one horse race. It won’t be a one horse race next summer.

I don’t see how Chelsea don’t try and sign him next summer. Surplus cash. He walks into their side regardless of who they’ve signed.

@Judas - Let’s bring this train back to the station and retire it’s existence.

K_Ash

IMO, at that price, as a Winger, on top of everything else , that Winger must have electric pace ..Sancho's pace is not top tier. If Sancho had Son's pace then I would be 110% , go for him at any cost.

reddevilz007

Why are we spending surprising amount to buy Facundo and Traore, instead of putting everything for Sancho?

Flexdegea

Dortmund won't have an issue selling to Chelsea next summer for ~90m. Sancho seems tailor made for Chelsea in the future if they can sort out the fees and silly agent fees now they know Money Bags United won't be paying up and mostly likely we'll find it hard to finish 4th anyway.

Your self loathing is pathetic :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Wood be great if Woody wrote a book in a few years detailing all his transfer activity and stories around it.
So I could whack him over the head with it.

NJM78

We aren't finishing top 4. No chance.

RRCE

Why are we spending surprising amount to buy Facundo and Traore, instead of putting everything for Sancho?
Because, just as they said all along, there was a price (and maybe a deadline). Dortmund wouldn’t take our money now even if we offered it. United messed around, thought they could outwit / bully Dortmund, and not surprisingly missed out on their #1transfer target. Now it’s an all too common panic at the end of a window, trying to save face and plug gaps in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.