Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drainy

The reports coming out around the truth behind the transfer are absolutely embarassing. If it is true, what an utter shambles. Apparently Utd were willing to offer the full asking price in the last couple of days but didn't put the bid in because Dortmund had made it clear they won't accept any bid now. Utd's strategy was apparently to drag it out all along to the end of the deadling expecting Dortmund to take the final offer. But Dortmund refused because Utd took the piss with negotations. Most likely they won't wanna do business with us next summer either when there are other buyers involved. When we were willing to pay the full asking price, what a complete joke they dragged it out trying to win a game of poker.

Sadly, that's most likely the end of Sancho ever playing at Utd.
Negotiators should sepukku, but no doubt will get a bonus instead.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Sancho had reportedly refused to train because Utd were confident they would get the deal done with the full asking price bid. Sancho was certain he would be joining which is why there was noise around Ole speaking to Sancho and telling him it's going to be done in the coming days. But Dortmund basically told Utd to eff off. Utd tried to play poker with better poker players. Complete clowns.
Now whilst that may be true, i just don't understand the logic behind it.
They told us they'd reject the full asking price, because we took the piss, knowing full well that next year things could be much worse financially and they could get much much less for him? Sounds to me like the BS excuses are coming out thick and fast now, as i'm sure that if United were to offer the full price, guaranteed, Dortmund would have accepted.Just my opinion, but 120m Euro in this current climate would not be rejected by any club to be totally fair.

Chief123

If Utd were to go back in for him next summer, one thing is guaranteed that Dortmund won't accept anything less than 120m euros considering we were willing to pay it at the end. If anything, they'll happily sell to other buyers for the same price.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
People keep saying this and it's complete nonsense. We've needed a RW for a decade. What other positions? CB? The last player we signed in that position was a a great buy wasn't he? I'd rather buy a generational talent than another waste of money CB who'll no doubt get dominated by Ollie Watkins when we play Villa.
Yes, our last buy was crap and thats exactly why I want to invest again. We aren't getting Sancho this year but you can invest in other areas.

Chief123

Now whilst that may be true, i just don't understand the logic behind it.
They told us they'd reject the full asking price, because we took the piss, knowing full well that next year things could be much worse financially and they could get much much less for him? Sounds to me like the BS excuses are coming out thick and fast now, as i'm sure that if United were to offer the full price, guaranteed, Dortmund would have accepted.Just my opinion, but 120m Euro in this current climate would not be rejected by any club to be totally fair.
I imagine Utd thought the same thing that Dortmund wouldn't reject a 120m euro bid, which is why they tried to be too clever knowing they are the only buyers. If they already rejected our previous bid of 110m euro, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't going to accept 120m euro either.

I honestly would not be surprised if Dortmund have already had discussions with another club who have assured them they would be interested in purchasing Sancho next summer for the same price. Dortmund are not as financially in trouble as many believe.

Chief123

We'd better have that 100m ready by January.
I would say it's incredibly unlikely Dortmund would sell him in January. In fact, I'd expect very little transfer activity in January across the whole of Europe. Clubs revenue streams won't have improved in 3 months time. Clubs will have spent what they needed to this summer. If Dortmund weren't willing to accept 120m Euro right now, it would make no sense for them to accept it 3 months later when they are most likely still in the Champions league. Like I said, I don't see them doing business with us regarding Sancho if there are other buyers in the market next summer (which I believe there will be).

USREDEVIL

This is such an epic fail that they will make a documentary (or maybe mockumentary) about it. Heads should roll but won't. That's the next epic failure to be written.

RUCK4444

I still don't get why we didn't just put the bid in, just for shits and giggles, why not.
I suppose, at this stage, it just adds to the embarrassment.

I bet the club are going to try to use some other angle as an excuse as to why 'they never placed a bid.' Such a fecking waste of a transfer window.

Totally unacceptable.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I imagine Utd thought the same thing that Dortmund wouldn't reject a 120m euro bid, which is why they tried to be too clever knowing they are the only buyers. If they already rejected our previous bid of 110m euro, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't going to accept 120m euro either.

I honestly would not be surprised if Dortmund have already had discussions with another club who have assured them they would be interested in purchasing Sancho next summer for the same price. Dortmund are not as financially in trouble as many believe.
No they're not, i agree, but who else can afford to buy him next summer?? No club is going to commit to a 120m signing when theres a realistic chance that a few clubs might not even exist this time next year if things remain the way they are (unlikely for the huge clubs, but who really knows)
Chelsea won't buy him because they're stacked in his position. Barca are skint. Real won't want him. PSG i doubt it too. Liverpool won't be able to afford him.

Unless Bayern come along and pluck him out from the club, but would they really need him? Leaves United as the main front runner again, but if we don't make top 4, then there is no chance.

DevilRed

I would say it's incredibly unlikely Dortmund would sell him in January. In fact, I'd expect very little transfer activity in January across the whole of Europe. Clubs revenue streams won't have improved in 3 months time. Clubs will have spent what they needed to this summer. If Dortmund weren't willing to accept 120m Euro right now, it would make no sense for them to accept it 3 months later when they are most likely still in the Champions league. Like I said, I don't see them doing business with us regarding Sancho if there are other buyers in the market next summer (which I believe there will be).
I trust that Sancho wants to come to Manchester United only. Otherwise, he wouldn't be the right signing for us anyway.

But I also believe that other than city or chelski, nobody else would be crazy enough to pay 120m euros upfront with very little in add-ons.

You can also point to the case that chelski have bought a few wingers in the last two windows. We will always have the bigger pull.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The reports coming out around the truth behind the transfer are absolutely embarassing. If it is true, what an utter shambles. Apparently Utd were willing to offer the full asking price in the last couple of days but didn't put the bid in because Dortmund had made it clear they won't accept any bid now. Utd's strategy was apparently to drag it out all along to the end of the deadling expecting Dortmund to take the final offer. But Dortmund refused because Utd took the piss with negotations. Most likely they won't wanna do business with us next summer either when there are other buyers involved. When we were willing to pay the full asking price, what a complete joke they dragged it out trying to win a game of poker.

Sadly, that's most likely the end of Sancho ever playing at Utd.
Where are you getting this information?

Chief123

No they're not, i agree, but who else can afford to buy him next summer?? No club is going to commit to a 120m signing when theres a realistic chance that a few clubs might not even exist this time next year if things remain the way they are (unlikely for the huge clubs, but who really knows)
Chelsea won't buy him because they're stacked in his position. Barca are skint. Real won't want him. PSG i doubt it too. Liverpool won't be able to afford him.

Unless Bayern come along and pluck him out from the club, but would they really need him? Leaves United as the main front runner again, but if we don't make top 4, then there is no chance.
I honestly think there's only one realistic threat to a team buying Sancho which I've mentioned a few times and that's Chelsea. One thing is clear, sancho is desperate to return to England and the Prem. Yes, Chelsea have bought heavily in those positions already, but they are also not shy to replace a player if there is a better one available. They have unlimited cash and as long as their activity remains within the flimsy FFP regulations, they will happilly spend. This summer, their priorities were in multiple positions as opposed to a big signing. Next summer it will be different. Sancho is a greater talent than Ziyech, Havertz and Pullisic. There is no reason why he doesn't walk into that team. For me, Chelsea are the most viable option for Sancho. It ticks all the boxes. Prem team, living in London where he was born and playing for the team he's reported to support as a kid.

When Chelsea signed Morata for £70m, we would never imagine they would improve that position the following summer. Similarly, they spent £70m on Kepa and identified he wasn't good enough and got a replacement. Chelsea being owned by a Billionaire does not make them shy in buying to improve the team regardless of who they have. They bought Jorginho when they already had the best CDM in the world in Kante. Moving players on is not a problem for Chelsea.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm pretty sure that Woodward will have pulled one of usual dick moves and that prompted the whole use of intemediaries etc because the trust will have broken down. I can see that he initially agreed to the 120m Euro amount with discussions to continue about how it was "structured" Dortmund will have then expected a brief negotiation around X amount upfront and x number of payments over a reasonable period.

Then Woody will have waltzed back in after agreeing terms with Sancho's people and then start reneging on the original deal, offering add-ons rather than guaranteed payments - making Dortmund pay pending bonuses / agents fees etc.

I think this is why Dortmund started using intermediaries / giving set deadlines...because Woody has destroyed all trust and has salted the earth with yet another club rather than building a positive mutually beneficial relationship.

I don't know any of this for sure but it is the pattern of how he has handled other situations and we know he loves tricky contractual bullshit. We need to get this diseased gargoyle out of the club!
There was a report midway on Woodward tried to gazunder BVB.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sancho had reportedly refused to train because Utd were confident they would get the deal done with the full asking price bid. Sancho was certain he would be joining which is why there was noise around Ole speaking to Sancho and telling him it's going to be done in the coming days. But Dortmund basically told Utd to eff off. Utd tried to play poker with better poker players. Complete clowns.
Feel sorry for Sancho. That’s a lot of emotional uncertainty to deal with for a young guy. And now he probably feels like an idiot having to return to Dortmund, despite being promised it was a done deal.

wouldn’t surprise me if he has lost all confidence and respect for seniors at our club.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How though?

They don't spend much compared to us and City. They won the Champions League and Premier League recently. New Nike kit deal. They're swimming in it.
Not only that, they could sell a player or 2 and have the money. It will depend how much they want him I guess.

I can't help but feel we missed the boat on this. What if Ole is not our manager then?

It will never be this easy as it was this summer IMO.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't agree at all with Liverpool not being in the race, they could get a deal done on instalments, their negotiators are smart enough to do that, and probably for quite a bit less than United were quoted too.
It's not at all beyond the realms of possibility, especially if they win the Premier League again, so I will not be at all surprised if Sancho is a Liverpool player this time next year.

clarkydaz

i really hope the media are all over this failure and shame the board. Even if they take the angle a young England international has missed a move back to the Prem

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

they made an absolute shite of this transfer and it was obvious back in August. No amount of people coming on here calling them a small club was ever going to change the fact that Ed tried to lowball and hold out and got ran rings around. As always.

starman

There seems to a trend that people will only be satisfied with what they want. With lots of posters on here they cant fathom not getting Sancho.

Its the same with the manager situation, they have their specific target and only that one is the right one..

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If I was Sancho I wouldn’t want to come here after this window.
same. I think it’s over. If he has any other choice next year he’ll probably take it. We really need to turn it around without him this year to make it seem like he’s missing out which probably won’t happen. Haaland also on the market next summer. I see us missing out big time.

Dr. StrangeHate

We didn't pay 120 mil for Sancho because we didn't value him that much. It is as simple as that. Does anyone other than Dortmund actually believe he is worth that?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I worry about signing him next year even if another big club doesn’t make room for him. We know now he won’t be entering the last year of his contract, so no discount there. Transfer prices are not dropping as fast as the broader economy, and the whole world might still be upside down then.

Joel G and the money-men might take a look at the books and decide to cinch up the purse strings, leaving us only enough for Upa and another South American kid no one has heard of (not that I’m negative on that one, the kid sounds good).

Status
Not open for further replies.