Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmichael

Patience boys
Exactly, it’s mid June and we never sign people until July 1st at the earliest. We’ve got 9 league games, potentially 3 FA Cup games and potentially 5 Europa games so we’ve got other things to also focus on.

I just don’t see it not happening as he’s clearly our number one target and there’s too much long term noise for it not to be really far along and that’s why we’re not hearing anything concrete regarding any other team in for Sancho, I think other clubs know how far along it probably is but with seasons to still be completed it’s not yet been completed.

theklr

Exactly, it’s mid June and we never sign people until July 1st at the earliest. We’ve got 9 league games, potentially 3 FA Cup games and potentially 5 Europa games so we’ve got other things to also focus on.

I just don’t see it not happening as he’s clearly our number one target and there’s too much long term noise for it not to be really far along and that’s why we’re not hearing anything concrete regarding any other team in for Sancho, I think other clubs know how far along it probably is but with seasons to still be completed it’s not yet been completed.
Yeah , and big deals like that demands a lot of paperwork... which they are probably working on now

Gazza

I do think Ed would have been burned from previous transfer sagas (Bale, Ronaldo, Thiago, Fabregas) so that if we weren’t seriously in for Sancho we would have heard a continuous drip of stories distancing United from any interest, but that hasn’t happened. From the outside, it looks like United have been cultivating their interest in Sancho behind the scenes for a while so that they’d be at the front of the line when he becomes available.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Brightonian

It's always been clear that regardless of what happens, it won't happen until after we either qualify or don't qualify for the CL. With it, we're a really strong proposition for him. Without it, why wouldn't he just stay at Dortmund for another year of CL football and then he can move next summer, when he'll probably have more destinations to choose from too.

Gerald G

I don't think anything will happen until the season is over so it all feels a bit pointless at the moment

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’m fairly certain I saw him ripping in to us just the other day saying we aren’t attractive for young talent or something. But now umm he is saying Sancho is most likely going to United.
He was saying that Havertz should choose Chelsea over United due to the mess at recruitment level and long-term planning issues at the club. Which I disagree with him on.

But he also said something which I completely agree with. He said being in the champions league for a talent like Havertz isn't that important compared to where the player sees a prospective new club in 3 years time. That statement I do agree with but I disagree that Chelsea would be in a better position than United in 3 years which is what he's insinuating. I feel it's very debatable either way.

MDFC Manager

It's always been clear that regardless of what happens, it won't happen until after we either qualify or don't qualify for the CL. With it, we're a really strong proposition for him. Without it, why wouldn't he just stay at Dortmund for another year of CL football and then he can move next summer, when he'll probably have more destinations to choose from too.
Yes this. And from our point of view as well, having CL place confirmed will make the money men a bit more eager to commit to the huge money for this transfer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
And when did this bindipper become a transfer pundit?
People within the game do have contacts. I strangely found out that Pogba was coming from Ian Dowie of all people. Got chatting to him in the pub.
Top bloke too.

Paxi

He was saying that Havertz should choose Chelsea over United due to the mess at recruitment level and long-term planning issues at the club. Which I disagree with him on.

But he also said something which I completely agree with. He said being in the champions league for a talent like Havertz isn't that important compared to where the player sees a prospective new club in 3 years time. That statement I do agree with but I disagree that Chelsea would be in a better position than United in 3 years which is what he's insinuating. I feel it's very debatable either way.
3 years is such a long time in football. God knows who will be where in 3 years. So it’s pointless to try and guess.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
3 years is such a long time in football. God knows who will be where in 3 years. So it’s pointless to try and guess.
I think what he meant was the direction of the club and where they want to be in 3 years is what he's talking about.

So I agree with Hamann that being in the champions league isn't that important for a up and coming talent. But rather the pitch the buying club makes regarding the ensuing years and the project as a whole which will make the difference.

Paxi

That's awesome mate..
I remember posting it in the Pogba thread. I was in the harp bar in Belfast where I bumped into him when I was waiting on my pint. Had a 5-10 minute chat with him. Honestly couldn’t meet a nicer bloke. I even gave him a ribbing for drinking Budweiser.

Had real decent conversation with me without giving off the vibe that he just wanted to conversation to end. He thought that Jose would take us back to the top and that we’d be back with Pogba signing. Obviously didn’t quite work out but sure...

Anyway, I’m always puzzled as to why some people seem to think that people who work within the game don’t gossip and discuss football transfers in between themselves. They’re just like any other person who wants be in the know only its literally their day jobs to know these things as most of them are still working as managers, ambassadors,
pundits etc.

Also, seem to remember Rio was it, saying that he always used to ask Sir Alex who they were signing etc so it just shows they’re muppets like the rest of us.

Paxi

I think what he meant was the direction of the club and where they want to be in 3 years is what he's talking about.

So I agree with Hamann that being in the champions league isn't that important for a up and coming talent. But rather the pitch the buying club makes regarding the ensuing years and the project as a whole which will make the difference.
I get what he’s saying and I also agree that CL shouldn’t be number one priority for young players. Playing time and a manager who has a track record with development would be my priorities.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I remember posting it in the Pogba thread. I was in the harp bar in Belfast where I bumped into him when I was waiting on my pint. Had a 5-10 minute chat with him. Honestly couldn’t meet a nicer bloke. I even gave him a ribbing for drinking Budweiser.

Had real decent conversation with me without giving off the vibe that he just wanted to conversation to end. He thought that Jose would take us back to the top and that we’d be back with Pogba signing. Obviously didn’t quite work out but sure...

Anyway, I’m always puzzled as to why some people seem to think that people who work within the game don’t gossip and discuss football transfers in between themselves. They’re just like any other person who wants be in the know only its literally their day jobs to know these things as most of them are still working as managers, ambassadors,
pundits etc.

Also, seem to remember Rio was it, saying that he always used to ask Sir Alex who they were signing etc so it just shows they’re muppets like the rest of us.
Nicet to hear that mate. And I completely agree with you on everything else too.

theklr

Have been a lot less news (both credible and non-credible) about that prerequisite now than in the beginning, so Im not quite sure that is the case.

My guess is that if there isnt considerable movement/spike in news about the deal after Bundesliga ends the 27th(?) of June, it might be the case, yeah.

But think Sancho will come regardless really.

RUCK4444

Have been a lot less news (both credible and non-credible) about that prerequisite now than in the beginning, so Im not quite sure that is the case.

My guess is that if there isnt considerable movement/spike in news about the deal after Bundesliga ends the 27th(?) of June, it might be the case, yeah.

But think Sancho will come regardless really.
I still don't buy the champions league argument. Of course every player likes to play CL football but it's not like he's going to win it with Dortmund and being so young why would he risk or delay a move to a big club for potentially only one year of CL football.

A lot can happen in a year of football, injury, loss of form, the buying clubs may have other priorities. I think it's a factor but shouldn't necessarily an absolute deal breaker.

crossy1686

career ending

pundits etc.

Nice story, yeah it was Rio at the end of year party, celebrating winning the double (CL and PL) spent the night pecking SAF's head about who they were bringing in next season to compete again.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't think anything will happen until the season is over so it all feels a bit pointless at the moment
Well it won't because we don't even know when the window will open yet and there's still football to be played. Rumors are August to October if all of Europe can agree so don't expect much except negotiations over the next two months.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I don’t think it’s that clear or obvious that his signing depends on our CL qualification. I think Sancho is willing to sign for us regardless.

At first I was assuming we’ll prolong this transfer to the end of the window and try to bring the price down as much as possible.

But I think we might try to close the deal ASAP, preferably by the time the bundesliga ends.

If we leave it till late in the window, and we guarantee our qualification into the CL in the meantime, Dortmund may not agree to lower his price any further than they already have knowing fine well that qualification brings us higher revenues.

We also risk other teams getting involved later and initiating a bidding war to steal Sancho. Which would also hurt us if we’ll have to find a replacement for him late in the window at a high price anyways.
So I don’t see any point in dragging this one out.

Also - assuming we’re the only serious remaining contender for his signature at the moment, and it’s not possible to initiate any sort of bidding war, then Dortmund will want to close the deal asap as well.
They can bring in his replacement and finalize their own recruitment plans well ahead of next season instead of leaving it late.
Let’s not forget they signed Haaland & Can (if I’m not wrong) in January too so they must be cash strapped as well.

Last edited:

Havak

Pokemon master
If this happens in the new 'make-shift' transfer window, I think it'll be a massively drawn out thing. I'm 50/50 on the deal happening, but very hopeful we get it over the line in the next window. While I don't think us qualifying for the Champion's League will be the deciding factor, it would certainly help if we can finish the season strongly and achieve that.

I honestly think that even if Sancho was our only major signing and we kept Pogba that we'd easily cement a top four place next season. I do expect Chelsea & Spurs to be strong as well and doubt that we can instantly catch up to Liverpool & City next season regardless of what business we do and how much we spend. So, to me, the goal is to get Sancho and see if we can finish 3rd / how close we can actually get to the two teams who are far and away the best in the league and maybe even Europe. All of ourselves, Chelsea, Spurs, and Arsenal seem to be doing things slightly different than they have previously as now is the time to slowly develop / stay relevant / balance the books or whatever you want to call it, because as I said, I don't think any of these teams can suddenly finish above City & Liverpool next term. It feels like a bit of a mini-league developing but there's also Leicester, Wolves, Everton etc who will fancy it.

tl;dr I think getting Sancho signed is probably the only major business we need to do in terms of signings for next season. Definitely the no.1 priority.

Can7onA

Kids nowadays, Christ.

Internet at their finger tips and they can't even be arsed to Google Dietmar Hamann :lol: who's probably more famous for scoring the last goal ever at Wembley and being a coke head.

Back in my day we had to wait for Shoot to see what footballers had for dinner the night before.

Status
Not open for further replies.