Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No offense but I came across many post of yours in recent weeks and you're quite fast with identifying "WUMs". You've done that multiple times when the poster you called WUM wasn't doing that whatsoever in my opinion.
Don't you think you're taking all this a little personally? It's just banter meant in good spirits.

Bondi77

I don’t know about you guys but when I watch us play now the biggest buzz I get is when Mason picks up the ball on the RW and attacks and we are going to see a lot of it next season.

abkmufc92

Hes clearly staying at Dortmund next season, they set a price and gave us a deadline to meet it and we have refused to do so. Why would they announce it in a press conference and have players come out and say that they are happy he is staying only for him to leave.

If he was so keen on leaving then he wouldn't have agreed to extend his contract for another year and If he wanted to force a transfer then he would have done what Dembele and Aubameyang did but he hasn't.

It's time for us to move onto other targets instead of wasting our time on something that won't happen.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No offense but I came across many post of yours in recent weeks and you're quite fast with identifying "WUMs". You've done that multiple times when the poster you called WUM wasn't doing that whatsoever in my opinion.
Is it no surprise to you though? Very naive to join a Utd site and then engage in discussion which sometimes can be critical of the club( nothing wrong with that, we're the most vociferous on that topic if truth be told) but then get defensive if people wonder why you join a Utd fan site in the first place if you're not expecting some criticism.

If you wanted interesting debates then yes you'll get it from some highly intelligent posters and some who don't take it too seriously but for Christ's sake lighten up a little.

You're more than welcome on here BTW. Try doing this on Blue Moon or RAWK

El-Manos

So it's Bild and Ruhr Nachrichten vs Daniel Harris, another 'ITK' very likely to be chalked off the list.
Both been briefed by Dortmund & United. I hope the English media is right on this one. It's not looking like a bluff.

Womp

idiot
It's a seller's market right now and they hold all the cards.

Can you blame them for getting their money's worth?
I can't, it's absolutely in their right, which has been my stance the whole saga. I also think 120m, even with everything taken into account, is still a very reasonable offer. It's becoming quite evident that we just cannot justify or afford the guy this summer though. They would look like absolute mugs with all these players/pressers etc. talking about him staying, for him to leave. It goes against the very reason they have been so headstrong on their valuation in the first place.

Even if we were to stump up the 120m, which I'm not sure we can, I'm not sure they would still accept unless Sancho was to push for it, which he quite clearly has no intention of doing.

It's a shame, but I think people who still think this is happening are clutching at straws, all signs point towards this being a colossal feck up by us. We seem to think they're skint and need the money, they quite clearly don't as they used an intermediary to prevent negotiation, or they're happy to keep him. They set us a deadline we thought was false and now they're heavily pushing the agenda of him staying, with no clear signs of Sancho being too bothered. He can stick around another year and reassess his options with better teams interested, potentially.

It's gotta be said, I think we've lost this one

onemanarmy

I don’t know about you guys but when I watch us play now the biggest buzz I get is when Mason picks up the ball on the RW and attacks and we are going to see a lot of it next season.
Definitely. It's just that Sancho would complement our attack perfectly. The smallest issue with Rashford or Greenwood and we are in trouble. But I'm sure there are alternatives out there. If there aren't, lets go for a couple of other players that'll improve us, and come back next year.

TheMod

Well done mate. Your a newbie and you saw straight through the sh*t from the off, if I could ‘like’ your post I would. :D

Many take the blue pill and live in denial.
Thanks....I need all the likes I can get...only on 3 and I really want to get involved in the match day forums

Totally agree with you!

Years and years ago, fans knew nothing about a transfer until it was announced on late evening TV news. Out of the blue, it would be announced that Ron Atkinson had broken the transfer record by signing Bryan Robson or Alex Ferguson had signed Teddy Sheringham.

3G and social media changed all of that and created a niche industry based solely on transfer rumour and speculation, even providing full time employment for many people and Sky TV's deadline day programme has become an annual cultural event. This leads to the idiocy of a youtube fan channel having a 30 minute interview with a journalist on what he thinks are United transfer plans, wannabe ITK's like Fabrizio Romano who are actually just doing guesswork by stalking agents, and MSM football journalists who don't even know critical and foundational facts like the length of an existing contract, falsely reporting that player terms are agreed.

As you point out, 95% of what is reported is guesswork and mostly false. And fans whom are enjoined by social media get sucked in and react to this. What should just be a fun pastime to entertain football fans during the football-less summer months, but it seems many get over invested and take it far too seriously, leading to slander, abuse and other threatening behaviour towards club CEO's and financiers.

Yeah members just need to wait and see what happens. Don't believe the media outlets, ITKs etc and just await official statements.

Also i can't wait for the inevitable situation where if we sign him, people criticise ed woodward for taking so long to sign and his awful negotiation tactics as we paid so much.

Or

If we don't sign him, how bad Ed Woodward is that he didn't manage to get the deal over the line and was scrimping over a few £m

How about again everyone at this point take a step back and don't believe everything you read as the journos, ITKs once the transfer is / isn't done will come up with more lies about why it took so long / didn't go through.

I find it amazing that people hold these journos/itks as gospel even after the countless times it has been proven they are just speculating / guessing like the rest of us

El-Manos

We have 2 options from what I can see:

1. Admit defeat and just pay up whatever is requested.
2. Ask Sancho to put in a transfer request to aid our pursuit.

Because I can't see Dortmund lowering their price after yesterday's official comments. They would look silly.

GledTheRed

Tell Sancho we want him this Summer so he needs to start throwing chairs about, if chairs remain upright we move on and he doesn't get the move or the wedge.

If he wants to come he'll make it happen, if not so be it.

GJNJ

Being irked by biases is never bizarre. It's bizarre that you justify biases with the forum you're on. It's like saying "yeah, I know that I'm wrong but I stick with my opinion anyway".
I haven't made any remarks any about Dortmund or Bundesliega so I don't have a position to defend, it is more of an observation of the mind of oppo fans disgruntled by anonymous usernames making some frustrated comments.

You have seeked this forum out knowing full well the kind of reactions that would emerge to amuse yourself. Knowing that these would be the reactions and still getting irked by it is bizarre.

ColoRed

deep in the west where the sun gets dusty
Supports
Cologne / Manchester
I think my biggest frustration is the collection of oppo fans who join the forum to WUM. Never understood the attraction and I personally find it quite pathetic. This thread for instance is littered with it. It's a fun transfer speculation thread yet we end up with posts and posts of negativity from people who don't support United yet seemingly have some bizarre desire for the club to fail. Yet they join the forum allegedly for "quality discussion".

Many people are sick of it tbh.
Here we are, fellow German Posters. Do you really think that this post is meant to be taken seriously ?

Am I doing it right ? Probably not

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think it’s madness that all of these supposed ITKs had no idea Sancho had signed a new deal?! Surely someone would have known.

Maybe all of these pretenders know eff all.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We have 2 options from what I can see:

1. Admit defeat and just pay up whatever is requested.
2. Ask Sancho to put in a transfer request to aid our pursuit.
He isn't going to do that and we aren't going to ask him to.

Would we really want a player who's going to throw his toys out when he wants a move? Would he then ask for a move to RM or the like because Utd aren't big enough?

Our options are:
1) Pay up now
2) Walk away but return in summer

SATA

I think it’s madness that all of these supposed ITKs had no idea Sancho had signed a new deal?! Surely someone would have known.

Maybe all of these pretenders know eff all.
He didn't sign a new deal. Dortmund extended it another year to match his contributions on the pitch. A +1 option if you like which we do with our own players

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He didn't sign a new deal. Dortmund extended it another year to match his contributions on the pitch. A +1 option if you like which we do with our own players
I see! Well I’m surprised no one knew about this! Pretty big deal considering everyone was reporting about 2022.

SATA

Would we really want a player who's going to throw his toys out when he wants a move? Would he then ask for a move to RM or the like because Utd aren't big enough?

Our options are:
1) Pay up now
There's a journo who claimed he would throw a transfer request. How true is that we shall see

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hi King7Eric, thanks for putting the time in to formulate your thoughts in more detail. I hope you are fine with me disagreeing on a few aspects.

Here's the thing mate and I had tried framing it to some other Dortmund fan on here as well who got set off with it. I think we can all agree on the following-
1. With or without Sancho, BVB are not likely to win the league. They will finish in a CL qualification spot and in the CL they'll reach the RO16 or QF. Of course, anything can happen in football but these would be there realistic ambitions for this coming season. Keeping Sancho or letting him go does not change those ambitions. Keeping or letting go Pogba does affect Utd's ambitions. With him we can probably aim higher than we would without him. Utd are not happy with our current standing in the game, whereas BVB seem perfectly happy where they are as evidenced by their constantly selling their biggest players. If you really have ambitions of winning trophies regularly, you don't let go of your best players irrespective of the price.
I think your first paragraph might be the worst right at the start in my eyes. Maybe as a fan of one of the richest clubs in the world it is not a reality you are aware of but barring maybe 10 clubs in the world every single club in professional football has to sell their best players eventually because they aspire to play for and with the best. I would hope we can all agree on this. Dortmund are one of the clubs that have to deal with this reality and yes, they have to sell players because they want to move on to richer or more successful clubs eventually. That does however not mean that the club has no ambitions. This might actually be the point people take offense with here the most, me included. It's like telling United fans to shut up because they might be happy to have qualified for the CL this year and tell them that they did not even win the title so why even bother. Every club has some kind of ambition and for that they of course need the best players available. For Dortmund this means a balancing act of keeping players to remain competitive and sell them if it is the fiscally responsible thing to do.

The second thing you say here is that Sancho staying or leaving does not change the ambitions. That is very much not true, he is a fantastic player and of course he elevates the level of Dortmund's attack. They might not win the title next season either, it is far more likely Bayern will have it again. But I am sure they nevertheless want to try take the fight to them again and for that the chances are very much improved if Sancho stays. So no, Dortmund are not "perfectly happy where they are", but they are also not delusional. They aspire to improve and keeping Sancho would in the short run help than more than selling him. As a short aside I am pretty sure that they would only agree to selling him for a specific fee because that is what they agreed on with the Sancho camp.

2. In the last 20 years, Ronaldo and DDG are the only 2 players whom Man Utd wanted to keep, but yet agreed to sell. SAF wanted to sell the likes of Beckham and RVN and well wanted to get rid of ADM. BVB on the other hand constantly sell their top players, whatever be the reason. The likes of Sahin, Hummels, Gotze, Kagawa, Mkhi, Aubameyang, Dembele, all these are of the top of my head. They constantly act as a feeder club for the top clubs of Europe, so why get offended when someone calls them that?
This basically only reflects the situation considering the vastly different financial prerequisites these two clubs have. Also these transfers basically all need to be evaluated on a case by case basis as the financial situation in Dortmund changed quite drastically in the timespan that they too place in. So yes, Dortmund have had and will for the foreseeable future need to sell players when they want to leave the club and it is financially compensated. That still does not mean that it is fun to be called a feeder club by opposition fans as it is quite obviously used as a derogatory term. The implication is that there is no ambition which in my opinion is not true as I explained before.

3. Even if they keep Sancho for a year, he is not going to spend his entire career at BVB. He may leave next year but he will go for sure. Now given that its likely his value will go down given he will have a year less on his contract and his staying for a year is unlikely to lead to BVB winning the league or CL (of course they could surprise us but we'll all agree it will be a major shock), it leads people to question what is the point of keeping him here? Why not reduce your demands a little bit? So that you get your money and buy a replacement and carry on with your model of grooming and selling players while staying the 2nd best team in Germany.
This is basically the same argument, so I will make it short, keeping Sancho helps Dortmund pursue their sporting goals in the short term and increases their chances for a miracle result. That is what sports teams should strive for in my opinion.

It is these 3 points that make Utd fans feel that BVB are just drawing out this saga unnecessarily in a move that benefits no one. If its Villa acting like this with Grealish, then I could understand because Grealish staying or leaving is likely to be the difference between Villa staying up or getting relegated so you can understand why they would stick to their demands. Sancho staying or leaving isn't likely to change BVB's standing so it all seems like unnecessary posturing.
So I think I made clear that we are not in agreement on this, I hope you can see my side or the side of the club a little better. I do not thing Dortmund are posturing to drag the saga, they are posturing to keep their player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
All this nonsense about getting Sancho to kick up a storm. Just pay the price and be done with it.

romufc

Our options are:
1) Pay up now
We may not ask him to do that, but I can guarantee you the scenario you are putting ahead, if Real come for him, they will ask him to start throwing his toys out. Those clubs pressure players.

The options, 1 is the only option.

We cannot go another summer without signing a RW, so if we do sign one it will be £40-60m so we will not have the money to go back for him.

Which is why we need to sign him this summer.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Maybe not you, but there are quite some German posters on here who were extremely quiet or just signed up to gloat about this transfer. That's just pretty sad.
Well, I actually developed sympathies for United since I signed up for this place. Learned many things about the club and became very interested in the development of young players like Greenwood or Martial. That being said even I feel some gloat if this transfer doesn't happen simply because of the incredibly arrogant ways many, many United posters showed in here. What goes around comes around.

Maybe not in your opinion but as has been said before this is a United forum. It's our place. Yes we can be cnuts but if you don't like it you can go elsewhere. As an oppo guest here you have to have tough skin and know when to keep your mouth shut.
That's the kind of open mindedness you want to hear as an opponent fan. If you were an official of this forum, this would be enough for me quit posting here indeed. Actually, that's exactly what I despise about football fans. Always reminds me of the mindset of brexiters, right wingers, nationalists, etc. If you rather have your echo chamber and a small horizon, so be it. I actually thought people in here would rate that there are so many foreign posters in here that provide some outside perspective.

Don't you think you're taking all this a little personally? It's just banter meant in good spirits.
I have no problem with banter if it's both ways. But look at the quote above, it really isn't. TheReligion actually described the mentality in here quite on point. "I'm a United fan, I have thin skin and biases, but I'm supposed to since this is a United forum. But beware if you are an oppo fan, then those rules don't apply to you. I know this is not fair but you're a guest here so either accept that or leave".

Womp

idiot
All this nonsense about getting Sancho to kick up a storm. Just pay the price and be done with it.
I'm worried that might not be enough anymore. It's very clear we fecked this up thinking they were skint and needed the money. I just can't see them turning around and allowing him to leave after this agenda in regards to them staying.

El-Manos

Our options are:
1) Pay up now
Dembele did that to go to Barcelona. I get your point but Dortmund are playing hardball. It's not the nicest tactic but it might be necessary. I don't see us going back for him next summer in all honesty, it's now or never. We will sign another RW if we fail to get him.

Superunknown

I don't blame Dortmund one bit for how they've held off and are seeking to get the highest price possible. They've got a talented player and won't want to part with him easily, especially as he isn't going to be easy to replace. There's a meta-game with these transfer discussions and, if we are as big a club as we say we are, we have to play the game. There is a scenario where we can all win where United get the player, Sancho gets a move and Dortmund get a feckton of money and are able to have enough time to get in a replacement. The longer it draws out, the less likely I feel that it is going to happen.

If the club don't see the move happening, they'll pull out of it sooner rather than later. I'd like to think that we are beyond the point of going right the way to the transfer window deadline. We can't focus all of our sights on one player for an entire window, that just isn't a good way to do business. Dortmund have set their stall out and have said that the player isn't going anywhere. They don't really mean that, because every player has their price. They are just making it clear that they're not going to want him to leave for less than they could get for him. Seems sensible to me.

IAmAWinner

"You love to see it" will certainly be the caption when we sign Sancho this summer. It will be glorious.

amolbhatia50k

I'm worried that might not be enough anymore. It's very clear we fecked this up thinking they were skint and needed the money. I just can't see them turning around and allowing him to leave after this agenda in regards to them staying.
If we pay a proper mega fee I'm sure they'll sell him. But while going into the summer I expected us to go all out for him, it's become clear that we are trying to haggle and that's most likely going to be the real issue here.

El-Manos

Well, I actually developed sympathies for United since I signed up for this place. Learned many things about the club and became very interested in the development of young players like Greenwood or Martial. That being said even I feel some gloat if this transfer doesn't happen simply because of the incredibly arrogant ways many, many United posters showed in here. What goes around comes around.

That's the kind of open mindedness you want to hear as an opponent fan. If you were an official of this forum, this would be enough for me quit posting here indeed. Actually, that's exactly what I despise about football fans. Always reminds me of the mindset of brexiters, right wingers, nationalists, etc. If you rather have your echo chamber and a small horizon, so be it. I actually thought people in here would rate that there are so many foreign posters in here that provide some outside perspective.

I have no problem with banter if it's both ways. But look at the quote above, it really isn't. TheReligion actually described the mentality in here quite on point. "I'm a United fan, I have thin skin and biases, but I'm supposed to since this is a United forum. But beware if you are an oppo fan, then those rules don't apply to you. I know this is not fair but you're a guest here so either accept that or leave".
Can somebody threadban this guy please? There are threads at your disposal for these type of discussions.

amolbhatia50k

"You love to see it" will certainly be the caption when we sign Sancho this summer. It will be glorious.
Would be great. But we have to be willing to pay up.

I actually don't see why Dortmund should be lowering their demands. He has been absurdly good for them and has tore up the Bundesliga

abkmufc92

It doesn't matter if we decide to pay the price now, they gave us a deadline for the transfer to be done and now that has passed they won't be selling him in this window now.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Would be great. But we have to be willing to pay up.

I actually don't see why Dortmund should be lowering their demands. He has been absurdly good for them and has tore up the Bundesliga
I agree - he is their player with a decent length contract. It's the same as if Madrid came sniffing around Pogba we wouldn't let him go on the cheap would we?

pascell

Both been briefed by Dortmund & United. I hope the English media is right on this one. It's not looking like a bluff.
Sorry I meant in regards to Sancho handing in a transfer request, I just can't see that happening unfortunately. I just want the deal done now, we need him to progress the squad.

El-Manos

I don't blame Dortmund one bit for how they've held off and are seeking to get the highest price possible. They've got a talented player and won't want to part with him easily, especially as he isn't going to be easy to replace. There's a meta-game with these transfer discussions and, if we are as big a club as we say we are, we have to play the game. There is a scenario where we can all win where United get the player, Sancho gets a move and Dortmund get a feckton of money and are able to have enough time to get in a replacement. The longer it draws out, the less likely I feel that it is going to happen.

If the club don't see the move happening, they'll pull out of it sooner rather than later. I'd like to think that we are beyond the point of going right the way to the transfer window deadline. We can't focus all of our sights on one player for an entire window, that just isn't a good way to do business. Dortmund have set their stall out and have said that the player isn't going anywhere. They don't really mean that, because every player has their price. They are just making it clear that they're not going to want him to leave for less than they could get for him. Seems sensible to me.
I agree, hence why we need a director of football urgently. We are very poor at transfer negotiations and that is common knowledge now in the football world.

Status
Not open for further replies.