Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

When did Dan Harris say that? I'm on his feed right now and see nothing about Sancho asking for a transfer
He posted it himself. It was yesterday's tweet based on after Dortmund's brief and us responding after. Maybe he has taken it off after realising it was false info he received

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree - he is their player with a decent length contract. It's the same as if Madrid came sniffing around Pogba we wouldn't let him go on the cheap would we?
Absolutely. I was just thinking about how much we'd ask for Sancho if we were selling him and I'm sure everyone where would quote 100 million and then some. So of course Dortmund want to make a killing on this one. Just remains to be seen whether we now walk away or go really big.

El-Manos

I hope not. He made some good points. I'm not in favour of banning people based on silly disagreements
Dude, i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with his points. He's in the wrong bloody thread !! A theadban merely indicates he can't post in this specific thread, since he's been derailing it and spurring other posters to do the same for the last 24 hours. it's annoying to come into this thread expecting Sancho updates when he's spamming this thread with off topic discussions.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I doubt you'd see it like that if you were on the other side. The constant belittling of the German league is really hard to bear. I'm watching more international than national football, by the way, but you come across stupid notions like "Werner/Sancho/Havertz only have those stats because they're playing in the Bundesliga, it's so easy to score there, not EPL proven yada yada" so many times that obviously you feel the urge to veto strongly. The world's not revolving around United, you know.
It mostly does on this forum, which is to be expected. We're happy to have the input of supporters of other teams and other leagues, but Redcafe's not a general football forum. If you post here, you have to expect criticism of your team that you may feel is unfounded.

Superunknown

I agree, hence why we need a director of football urgently. We are very poor at transfer negotiations and that is common knowledge now in the football world.
We do need to do something to change the formula. If this transfer doesn't happen and then in a season's time the player moves on to a club like Real Madrid or even a closer rival, we will have to ask why.

The club is improving and we have some talented players within the squad. There is an opportunity to actually do something and now is the time to be making those positive changes. If a Director of Football is what it takes to move the club to the next level, then that's what needs to be done. We can't just rely on reputation alone and think that eventually we can fluke our way to a title win...the dice doesn't always roll that way.

It's a huge statement if we can get this signing done. The difference is when I know that a club like Real Madrid or Bayern Munich are after a player, the deal usually gets done. We seem to get linked to a lot of players, which is normal I guess for a club of this size. With this deal however, it looks like there is a possibility of it being achievable, so we either commit and really go for it, or we look elsewhere.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It mostly does on this forum, which is to be expected. We're happy to have the input of supporters of other teams and other leagues, but Redcafe's not a general football forum. If you post here, you have to expect criticism of your team that you may feel is unfounded.
Finally :D

romufc

It was the other day:

It literally goes to show, however good these journalists are, they speculate alot as well.

Everyone knows we are in for Sancho, almost every football fan knows this so a journalist coming out saying "United are in talks" or "Talks continue" does not mean they know something we dont.

Romano keeps saying personal terms are agreed, so wouldnt Manutd know if his contract expires in 2023?

United stand have been putting out Romano's words as gospel. Romano said it is done so it's done. I think this deal will run and run until the fans tire.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Dude, i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with his points. He's in the wrong bloody thread !! A theadban merely indicates he can't post in this specific thread, since he's been derailing it and spurring other posters to do the same for the last 24 hours. it's annoying to come into this thread expecting Sancho updates when he's spamming this thread with off topic discussions.
Ban him, he's a very naughty boy! ;)
But then I agree with this

TheReligion

Abusive
Well, I actually developed sympathies for United since I signed up for this place. Learned many things about the club and became very interested in the development of young players like Greenwood or Martial. That being said even I feel some gloat if this transfer doesn't happen simply because of the incredibly arrogant ways many, many United posters showed in here. What goes around comes around.

That's the kind of open mindedness you want to hear as an opponent fan. If you were an official of this forum, this would be enough for me quit posting here indeed. Actually, that's exactly what I despise about football fans. Always reminds me of the mindset of brexiters, right wingers, nationalists, etc. If you rather have your echo chamber and a small horizon, so be it. I actually thought people in here would rate that there are so many foreign posters in here that provide some outside perspective.

I have no problem with banter if it's both ways. But look at the quote above, it really isn't. TheReligion actually described the mentality in here quite on point. "I'm a United fan, I have thin skin and biases, but I'm supposed to since this is a United forum. But beware if you are an oppo fan, then those rules don't apply to you. I know this is not fair but you're a guest here so either accept that or leave".
You see that's where you're wrong. It's just common manners and courtesy when you're a guest somewhere. It's nothing to do with Brexit. Perhaps you don't understand.

Woodenlung

Not signing Sancho would be an embarrassment. We've signposted clearly that he is our primary target and has been so for the last 14 months. Getting used to us missing out tbf.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hi King7Eric, thanks for putting the time in to formulate your thoughts in more detail. I hope you are fine with me disagreeing on a few aspects.

I think your first paragraph might be the worst right at the start in my eyes. Maybe as a fan of one of the richest clubs in the world it is not a reality you are aware of but barring maybe 10 clubs in the world every single club in professional football has to sell their best players eventually because they aspire to play for and with the best. I would hope we can all agree on this. Dortmund are one of the clubs that have to deal with this reality and yes, they have to sell players because they want to move on to richer or more successful clubs eventually. That does however not mean that the club has no ambitions. This might actually be the point people take offense with here the most, me included. It's like telling United fans to shut up because they might be happy to have qualified for the CL this year and tell them that they did not even win the title so why even bother. Every club has some kind of ambition and for that they of course need the best players available. For Dortmund this means a balancing act of keeping players to remain competitive and sell them if it is the fiscally responsible thing to do.

The second thing you say here is that Sancho staying or leaving does not change the ambitions. That is very much not true, he is a fantastic player and of course he elevates the level of Dortmund's attack. They might not win the title next season either, it is far more likely Bayern will have it again. But I am sure they nevertheless want to try take the fight to them again and for that the chances are very much improved if Sancho stays. So no, Dortmund are not "perfectly happy where they are", but they are also not delusional. They aspire to improve and keeping Sancho would in the short run help than more than selling him. As a short aside I am pretty sure that they would only agree to selling him for a specific fee because that is what they agreed on with the Sancho camp.

This basically only reflects the situation considering the vastly different financial prerequisites these two clubs have. Also these transfers basically all need to be evaluated on a case by case basis as the financial situation in Dortmund changed quite drastically in the timespan that they too place in. So yes, Dortmund have had and will for the foreseeable future need to sell players when they want to leave the club and it is financially compensated. That still does not mean that it is fun to be called a feeder club by opposition fans as it is quite obviously used as a derogatory term. The implication is that there is no ambition which in my opinion is not true as I explained before.

This is basically the same argument, so I will make it short, keeping Sancho helps Dortmund pursue their sporting goals in the short term and increases their chances for a miracle result. That is what sports teams should strive for in my opinion.

So I think I made clear that we are not in agreement on this, I hope you can see my side or the side of the club a little better. I do not thing Dortmund are posturing to drag the saga, they are posturing to keep their player.
No worries mate. Its a forum so we are here to disagree.

I will start with your last point. You say Dortmund are posturing to keep the player. If that was the case then why not simply state it clearly that he will not be sold. Why come up with this hypothetical deadline and a price? The very fact that they did means they are open to selling him.

Yes, I agree that barring a handful, all clubs have to sell their best players, but then that is the point, they do not pretend to be above selling their best players which BVB are doing here (or at least their fans are by claiming they are not a feeder club to the elite). If somebody offered us 200 million for our best player, and that player doesn't wanna go, Utd would reject that bid, because for Utd trophies would be more valuable than that 200 million. BVB would never do that because for them money is important. And this ties into the point regarding club ambitions. BVB are a well run club and sure they have ambitions of staying a top club, but they do not have the ambitions of being THE CLUB in Germany. Yes, this is of course related to their financial realities, which are different from a club like Bayern or Utd, but the point remains that they are not as ambitious as these clubs.

Southampton are widely referred to as the feeder club for Liverpool, which is unfair, but not totally untrue. Soton would accept that as long as they can maintain their PL status with the odd run in Europe and get big fees for their top players, they will be more than happy. That is the extent of their ambitions and they would accept it. BVB fans don't seem to accept the extent of their club's ambitions despite repeated evidence for the same.

And lastly, I do not agree that selling Sancho will see a massive drop in BVB's league position. The likes of Reus, Brandt, Haaland, Hazard etc coupled with a solid defense are more than good enough to get top 4 in the Bundesliga. Similarly, even keeping Sancho I don't see them really winning the league because more than quality, BVB lack the winning mentality that Bayern have in spades.

Pace Abuser

There is no sanity in the transfer forum, never has been. You must be new if you're looking for sanity in the transfer forum. You'll find lots in the other sections. You'll find creaming over Bayern and Dortmund. But forget about it in the transfer forum. It's a lunatic asylum and always will be.

Brophs

The One and Only
You see that's where you're wrong. It's just common manners and courtesy when you're a guest somewhere. It's nothing to do with Brexit. Perhaps you don't understand.
It’s an Internet forum which is open to all.

Rolaholic

Not signing Sancho would be an embarrassment. We've signposted clearly that he is our primary target and has been so for the last 14 months. Getting used to us missing out tbf.
Kind of have backed ourselves to a bit of a corner here and it'd be especially hard to reconcile not getting it done a year after breaking the transfer record for a defender with slabhead. It would've been a bit easier to negotiate hard with them before that. Still believe that Sancho would pay more dividends in the long run.

It's exactly the kind of backing of Ole he should be getting if we're really trying to build on finishing third and not rest on our laurels especially with our other rivals strengthening. Not getting his no.1 target could be quite a blow to all the momentum we've been building in 2020

El-Manos

Even if he is staying, why do they feel the need to do all these interviews? We must be proper broke if we miss out on him because we refused to pay €120m for one of the brightest talents in world football.

UncleBob

Kind of have backed ourselves to a bit of a corner here and it'd be especially hard to reconcile not getting it done a year after breaking the transfer record for a defender with slabhead. It would've been a bit easier to negotiate hard with them before that. Still believe that Sancho would pay more dividends in the long run.

It's exactly the kind of backing of Ole he should be getting if we're really trying to build on finishing third and not rest on our laurels especially with our other rivals strengthening. Not getting his no.1 target could be quite a blow to all the momentum we've been building in 2020
How? Why?

Rolaholic

Even if he is staying, why do they feel the need to do all these interviews?
So that if they do end up selling him he ends up being the bad guy in the story publicly as Dortmund did all they could to keep their player like with Dembele

Bosws87

We go through this crap every year, i dunno if it will or won't happen but this is just pointless.

The pogba saga the amount of times there was no discussions he was staying players saying the same it actually means nothing.

Whats he meant to say on tv in the position "Jadon actually wants to feck off he wants to go back home and get paid more"

I'm pleasantly surprised the noise around Pogba is so quiet that gives me hope that we are gonna do something this window as Raiola will be first to let everyone know if we don't improve.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I can't see Dortmund playing with their fans like this with Zorc and Witsel's quotes. It's either transfer request or nothing - and I can't see him doing the former.

We move on.

Crustanoid

Looking unlikely now.

Ed is a certified b’stard if he lets us down on this. It proves him and the owners are short-termists, happy with the money from CL qualification, and with no desire to improve the team beyond that.

Gonna don a Kermit costume and chain myself to the top of OT.

Rolaholic

How? Why?
It set the precedent that we'll still pay over the odds in the end to get our guy regardless of bluster. Makes it all the more harder to get a selling party to come down and meet us in the middle now unless they're in financial trouble in the first place like Sporting were in January. Dortmund don't seem to be in that situation just yet so they have just about all the leverage you can have here

romufc

Looking unlikely now.

Ed is a certified b’stard if he lets us down on this. It proves him and the owners are short-termists, happy with the money from CL qualification, and with no desire to improve the team beyond that.

Gonna don a Kermit costume and chain myself to the top of OT.
What a week can do. This time last week, it was all good news and now its the complete opposite.

The deal looks further and further away by the day. I was confident that this deal will get done about 80% last week, but it looks like 40% for me.

Mihai

I can't see Dortmund playing with their fans like this with Zorc and Witsel's quotes. It's either transfer request or nothing - and I can't see him doing the former.

We move on.
Well, Dortmund fans must be used to Zorc comments.

UncleBob

It set the precedent that we'll still pay over the odds in the end to get our guy regardless of bluster. Makes it all the more harder to get a selling party to come down and meet us in the middle now unless they're in financial trouble in the first place like Sporting were in January. Dortmund don't seem to be in that situation just yet so they have just about all the leverage you can have here
It literally makes feck all difference. As if we paid £10mill less for Maguire, or didn't sign him at all, would lead to Dortmund saying "Alright, you'll get a special discount for Sancho then"

Status
Not open for further replies.