Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He should stay in Dortmund they have a hell of a team being built currently. Hazard and Brandt are great additions and should gel in brilliantly with Sancho. In todays market they got these guys for 25M that is incredible business.

passing-wind

Sounds like the club don't have the funds to bring him in, considering Pulisic went for 60 million with a minimal role it's no surprise really.

Woodward full of rubbish that the club has massive financial resources.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Sounds like the club don't have the funds to bring him in, considering Pulisic went for 60 million with a minimal role it's no surprise really.

Woodward full of rubbish that the club has massive financial resources.
Or Dortmund simply do not want to sell him this summer.

DSG

There has been a looong discussion in this thread regarding the number of attackers / wingers Dortmund need and continue to buy...

With Brandt, Hazard, Sancho, Bruun-Larsen, Phillip, Wolf, Reus (sometimes when Gotze plays the 10), and Guerreiro, they have 8 wingers... you can argue that Reus and Brandt play centrally, but both also play on the wing.

Clearly, they will sell Sancho, either this summer or a Pulisic-like deal where he is sold in January and loaned back to Dortmund to finish the season. Maybe next summer.

I just don’t think Brandt and Hazard agree to move unless they have guarantees at first 11. If that is the case, is Alcacer dropped so Reus can play the 9?

I don’t buy the idea that Sancho won’t come here because of no CL football. The increase in wages would be so significant, he’d be mad to turn it down. No place for him in the Liverpool and City starting 11, Spurs can’t afford him, transfer fee or wages, Arsenal either, Chelsea under transfer ban, plus have their own promising wingers, etc....

If he wants to return to England, there is really only one choice if he wants to move in the next two windows.

Financially, Man Utd is by far the best option, endorsements as well....

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
From Ogden's article on ESPN FC
http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...sources-man-utd-rule-out-move-for-bvbs-sancho
Manchester United will pursue alternative targets to bolster their attacking options this summer after ruling out an £80 million move for Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho, sources have told ESPN FC.

Former Manchester City youngster Sancho, 19, has been a long-term United target, with the club's scouting department identifying him as a potential signing prior to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's arrival as the replacement for the sacked Jose Mourinho in December 2018.

But while Solskjaer and assistant manager Mike Phelan have encouraged the club's interest in the teenager, who made his England debut against Croatia in October 2018, United have been unable to engage Dortmund in constructive discussions about a deal for him.

Enquiries by United about Sancho's availability have been rebuffed by Dortmund, who have made it clear that they have no desire to sell the player this summer, having already offloaded United States international forward Christian Pulisic to Chelsea.

United have been made aware that it would require an offer in the region of £80-90 million to even prompt Dortmund to consider selling Sancho, and with Solskjaer determined to press on with his summer recruitment plans, they have now chosen to look elsewhere due to what they perceive to be an overinflated valuation of a player who has just two full seasons of senior football under his belt.

Sancho remains a player of interest to United, but not at the level of outlay it would require to persuade Dortmund to sell, sources said.

Plans are already in place to make moves for Swansea City winger Daniel James and Newcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff. United are also interested in Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez.

A central defender is also high on Solskjaer's wanted list, with Leicester City's Harry Maguire and Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly the preferred options with Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt expected to reject United's interest in order to move to Barcelona.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There has been a looong discussion in this thread regarding the number of attackers / wingers Dortmund need and continue to buy...

With Brandt, Hazard, Sancho, Bruun-Larsen, Phillip, Wolf, Reus (sometimes when Gotze plays the 10), and Guerreiro, they have 8 wingers... you can argue that Reus and Brandt play centrally, but both also play on the wing.

Clearly, they will sell Sancho, either this summer or a Pulisic-like deal where he is sold in January and loaned back to Dortmund to finish the season. Maybe next summer.

I just don’t think Brandt and Hazard agree to move unless they have guarantees at first 11. If that is the case, is Alcacer dropped so Reus can play the 9?

I don’t buy the idea that Sancho won’t come here because of no CL football. The increase in wages would be so significant, he’d be mad to turn it down. No place for him in the Liverpool and City starting 11, Spurs can’t afford him, transfer fee or wages, Arsenal either, Chelsea under transfer ban, plus have their own promising wingers, etc....

If he wants to return to England, there is really only one choice if he wants to move in the next two windows.

Brandt is a midfielder now.

Think it depends on the player more hwn Dortmund. Them having more options or of few, if the player really wants the move it'll happen and it won't if he's happy there.

I think our lack of CL footy and him being so young and being able to take his time in Germany goes against us.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I'll try to keep this short: Brandt and Reus will both play predominantly centrally, Brandt being a 8/10 hybrid of sorts. Wolf is currently more of a RB backup and should in my opinion be nowhere near the first 11 on the wing. Guerreiro and Philipp both seem on their way out. That leaves us with Hazard/Bruun-Larsen on LW, Sancho/Wolf on RW with all of the others potentially helping out if necessary.

Treble

Dortmund are buying in order to compete with Bayern and the CL, not to sell their most creative player. £80-90m aren't buying him in that market.

IrishRedDevil

BREAKING NEWS: Manchester United have just realised that Sancho is going to cost a tonne of money. Woodward said to be in shock.

‘Overinflated valuation’ after saying United can do things in the market that others can only dream about :lol: Sit down Ed.

Sir Scott McToMinay

We should start hijacking Dortmund’s bids for young attackers, that’s what we should be doing instead of paying 100m for players they’ve bought for peanuts the summer before.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
BREAKING NEWS: Manchester United have just realised that Sancho is going to cost a tonne of money. Woodward said to be in shock.

‘Overinflated valuation’ after saying United can do things in the market that others can only dream about :lol: Sit down Ed.
Would be hilarious if that were true. In reality, this is just PR spin because in all likelihood he doesn't want to join us.

macheda14

I love how every time a journalist comes out with something everyone takes it as complete gospel and just bashes the club.

Infra-red

We should start hijacking Dortmund’s bids for young attackers, that’s what we should be doing instead of paying 100m for players they’ve bought for peanuts the summer before.
Couple of months ago:

Replace Mata and Lingard with Thorgan Hazard (one year left on his deal) and Julian Brandt (£21.6m clause), which gets some creativity in to our attack, and save the bulk of the budget for upgrading midfield and defence with players who can actually pass the ball.
:(

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's not a huge surprise is it? He's going to be massively expensive and we have a lot of targets to go after. Let's see how the summer develops. At this stage it is easy to get all despondent and say people don't want to move to us; but this is Manchester United. One of the biggest three clubs in the world. There are very few players who don't want to come here. I think the focus has to be on getting the right type of player, and going back to that model of making stars rather than buying them, is one which has served us well in the past. I would love to see Sancho here soon. But a 100M on him is a huge gamble given everything else we have to take care of. People forget that two years ago he was a nobody on the professional scene. He'd made a big noise at youth level, but he went to Dortmund for what? 7M? and has become a huge potential star. We have a young lad called Mason Greenwood, who has looked every bit as good as Sancho at youth level. I am NOT saying he is the answer for next season, but I am saying that there are so many potential world beaters out there that haven't made it yet.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
You'd need to build up a reputation for developing young players while offering them plenty CL minutes to make that approach viable

DSG

I'll try to keep this short: Brandt and Reus will both play predominantly centrally, Brandt being a 8/10 hybrid of sorts. Wolf is currently more of a RB backup and should in my opinion be nowhere near the first 11 on the wing. Guerreiro and Philipp both seem on their way out. That leaves us with Hazard/Bruun-Larsen on LW, Sancho/Wolf on RW with all of the others potentially helping out if necessary.
I actually thought Philipp was a useful player before hurt as he can operate as a lone striker. With their setup now, Delaney and Witsel are the 6 and 8, do you see Brandt taking the spot of one of those players or the 10 which is currently occupied by Gotze/Reus?

We covered this previously on this thread. They need help on the defensive side of the ball IMHO. How much do you think they will spend this summer?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I actually applaud United if they're really turning down Sancho for 80m, he needs to confirm his potential/ability over the next season before he should be talked about with such a high figure/hype. You don't want to hamper a major chunk of your transfer budget on a player that may be overhyped and not going to turn out as well as some are projecting for him. Let's see how he does for another season at Dortmund and revisit his transfer next summer with a squad that's improved and where he wouldn't come in as some kind of savior but just a big piece in the engine. He's too young and unproven to be the savior of United at 19-20.

Jammiedodger

Big hello to everyone..long time Utd supporter (48yrs) first time poster (though not viewer)

Just one thing on Sancho that worries me is that I keep reading hes not prepared to come to us until were in a better position.
Now I know that might just be speculation, but if its true does anyone else think that:

1. That stinks of the player thinking hes bigger than the club (and no player is bigger than the club in my eyes)
2. He already thinks hes something special (Pogba attitude anyone?)
3. Would Fergie have even entertained signing a young player with that attitude?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I actually applaud United if they're really turning down Sancho for 80m, he needs to confirm his potential/ability over the next season before he should be talked about with such a high figure/hype. You don't want to hamper a major chunk of your transfer budget on a player that may be overhyped and not going to turn out as well as some are projecting for him. Let's see how he does for another season at Dortmund and revisit his transfer next summer with a squad that's improved and where he wouldn't come in as some kind of savior but just a big piece in the engine. He's too young and unproven to be the savior of United at 19-20.
He'll cost £40mil more and we'd have a host of other clubs to compete with. It's clear as day he's going to be a top bracket footballer.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Can't see why Sancho would so quickly turn his back on Germany after just one season, Rhiannon is the first generation of English talent to move abroad. We should have encouraged a while ago.

KW2006

I like Joao Felix and Bruno Fernandes more. And its a correct decision by Sancho to stay at Dortmund for one more season, for his own development's sake.

Fer

I like Joao Felix and Bruno Fernandes more. And its a correct decision by Sancho to stay at Dortmund for one more season, for his own development's sake.
Don't you think Felix should also stay one more season for his own development?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Tbf its not only Ogden claiming Sancho isnt coming. Many journos are saying he's staying at BVB.
He isn't coming but its not because we pulled out of the deal

RORY65

Big hello to everyone..long time Utd supporter (48yrs) first time poster (though not viewer)

Just one thing on Sancho that worries me is that I keep reading hes not prepared to come to us until were in a better position.
Now I know that might just be speculation, but if its true does anyone else think that:

1. That stinks of the player thinking hes bigger than the club (and no player is bigger than the club in my eyes)
2. He already thinks hes something special (Pogba attitude anyone?)
3. Would Fergie have even entertained signing a young player with that attitude?
He's still a teenager though so if he was going to move again, having only been at Dortmund for 18 months, he would have to be sure it was the right move for his development and it would be strange if he didn't have reservations about whether that would be the case at United (presuming that speculation is true which it may well not be).

If he stays in Dortmund he gets to develop in an exciting team with a fine manager, playing regularly for a team who will be in the Champions League and potentially a title race again and out of the glare of the English press. In a year's time if he progresses he will be more ready to make such a move. United on the other hand have been a bit of a rabble (everything still seems quite messy), won't be in the Champions League and have a manager who currently has a much less impressive CV.

There are obviously still plenty of reasons to join United, it's a massive club, the possibility to be a key part of a potential rebuilt etc. but I think it speaks quite well of his attitude (again if the rumours are true) that he's not just been attracted by the bigger wages on offer and has genuine considerations about what is best for him as a player and a person.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Tbf its not only Ogden claiming Sancho isnt coming. Many journos are saying he's staying at BVB.
Oh I don’t doubt they’re probably playing hardball. I suspect we won’t get him until next year either.

Still though he’s saying we’ve pulled out over the price being too high at 80m. I’d say that’s the entry level

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh I don’t doubt they’re probably playing hardball. I suspect we won’t get him until next year either.

Still though he’s saying we’ve pulled out over the price being too high at 80m. I’d say that’s the entry level
Let's be honest here, that number has been made up by the writer. There is no way you sell Pulisic for 60m on an expiring contract and Dembele for close to 140m before him and then offer Sancho to English clubs for 80m.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's be honest here, that number has been made up by the writer. There is no way you sell Pulisic for 60m on an expiring contract and Dembele for close to 140m before him and then offer Sancho to English clubs for 80m.
The whole things been made up, he’s guessing. We don’t know what will Happen, maybe we will offer £120m and Dortmund might be happy to reinvest? I think we will try to sort the rest of the team first and then get him as the icing.

Infra-red

I assume it's just face-saving on our part - there's been reports circulating for a few weeks suggesting that the player is no longer keen on the move. At his stage of development, your club is probably a better place for him, anyway.

passing-wind

Forget about him, clear the club has limited financial resources, offer Bournemouth a deal for Brooks.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I assume it's just face-saving on our part - there's been reports circulating for a few weeks suggesting that the player is no longer keen on the move. At his stage of development, your club is probably a better place for him, anyway.

Yet there is reports that the player would only consider United if moving back to England and no other club has been linked to him.

Lets be honest, nobody knows what the feck is going on, except for the parties. United dont want to pay and inflated fee, Dortmund want a fair and reasonable price. They've not been linked to wide wingers recent for no reason and im sure until they secure one, that can sufficiently replace Sancho, they'll be reluctant to sell.

There's also a massive difference between purchasing a potential world class talent and Daniel James.

Sancho is not an idiot. He's 19 and knows that missing one year of the Champions League where Dortmund don't have a snow balls hope in hell of competing wont be detrimental to his development. On the Contrary, if he doesn't have another stella season and suddenly United turn their interest to somebody else when they are back in the CL, he's going to feel like a mug.

Scholsey2004

While at the same time describing it as "highly unlikely", didn't he? I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound particularly positive.

I'd assume that James and an extension to Mata's deal are the backup options to Sancho, so lets see if they go through.
I've got a hunch that we're thinking of moving to a wing back system with James as the right sided wing back. We've been in contact with Fulham over sessegnon as well. James's pace up and down the flank at right wing back would be devastating. Mata as back up for fernandes in a delli Alli style role presuming we got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.