Dortmund’s arrogant attitude reminds me of that old anecdote:

Man: “Will you sleep with me?”

Woman: “Absolutely not”

Man: “I‘ll give you £10m”

Woman: “Wow OK then, yes I will!”

Man: “Actually I will give you £10”

Woman: “No way! What the hell do you think I am?”

Man: “We already established that, now we’re just negotiating”

Dortmund can get all haughty about the price they are demanding and mock United for not matching it but the fact is that if they are in discussions then its United’s prerogative as the only bidder to offer whatever they see fit.
A 10m hooker? Who’s this goddess?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Dortmund can get all haughty about the price they are demanding and mock United for not matching it but the fact is that if they are in discussions then its United’s prerogative as the only bidder to offer whatever they see fit.
As long as you don't expect your offer to be accepted, sure.

How about this analogy

A: I want this 911 Turbo S. Here's 80k
B: It's 150k.
A: But it's Corona-Time!! Here's 80k(actually, it' just 50, you'll get remaining 30 spread over 5 years only if I'm really satisfied with the car), more than fair!
B: 150k
A: I'll get back to you, k?
B: Sure

Rolaholic

would it be "normal" though to paint Sancho as greedy? Seems like a really weird strategy.
Think its more of a way of the club saving face/plausible deniability if an agreement can't be reached with Dortmund rather than trying to paint his camp in a certain light.

Godfather

Every fecking summer I get dragged into one of these ridiculous transfer sagas. Just can't help myself. Thank God the season starts in a month

Godfather

How about this analogy

A: But it's Corona-Time!! Here's 80k(actually, it' just 50, you'll get remaining 30 spread over 5 years only if I'm really satisfied with the car), more than fair!
How about that Porsche retailer is financially fecked like most businesses due to Corona. No way he wouldn't accept a smaller offer.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ogden basically saying that once it comes to the fee we are confident we can do the deal, but we are having problems agreeing a salary with Sancho. That’s the complete opposite of what Fab is saying?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
How about that Porsche retailer is financially fecked like most businesses due to Corona. No way he wouldn't accept a smaller offer.
Porsche still made a profit of 1.2bn in the first half of the year. Turns out luxury goods tend to maintain their value and demand...

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Whether we sign Sancho or not is slightly beside the point in some ways. Presuming it's a fixed budget and we still want the guy, the lack of a decision is derailing all our other transfer options. Reminds me of Moyes chasing fantasy Galacticos all summer then ending up with Fellaini. That's the danger here.

Godfather

Porsche still made a profit of 1.2bn in the first half of the year. Turns out luxury goods tend to maintain their value and demand...
That's great for Porsche means nothing for the single retailer though. Anyway the point is. If Dortmund needs the money they'll accept a lower offer too.

Judas

Open to offers
Ogden basically saying that once it comes to the fee we are confident we can do the deal, but we are having problems agreeing a salary with Sancho. That’s the complete opposite of what Fab is saying?
Yep. Seeing how far behind the British journalists often are, I'm going to predict he's in the wrong.

SATA

So according to Romano now, Dortmund has come out again to say the player is not for sale? What have i missed or is he rehashing old news :confused:

RedCurry

How about this analogy

It’s not exactly the correct analogy. Porsche 911 is fairly liquid asset and you can discover price using equivalent recent deals. All 911s from same year and same mileage are likely to be similar in price. Footballers aren’t exactly all the same and similar quality players can go for varied transfer fees. If we were going to use Porsche as an example, then Sancho’s fair value could reasonably be determined by using De Bruyne’s transfer fee and adjusting it for footballer inflation. If you did, he would be worth no more than what we seem to be offering. But like I said, footballers aren’t cars and each transfer is unique.

Matriac

Remember Solskjaer admitting that the signing of Bruno in January, was eating into the Summer budget?
That could well be true, so whatever we thought the Summer budget might be, knock off £50m.

I reckon we could probably find the money for Sancho providing Dortmund accept an instalment plan, but then a further signing would have to be dependent on a few outgoing sales to fund it.
So if we could sell 3 (Smalling, Pereira, Dalot) and make £50m then perhaps we could sign Sancho and one quality other CB or MF
People have read way too much into this. It ate into our "summer-budget" in the same way that Chelsea being transfer-banned last summer "boosted" their budget for this summer.
It's not like it's whatever money we haven't spent by December 31st gets taken back by the Glazers and then there's a new allowance for the next 12 months.

We have known for years that we've wanted Sancho. I'm not saying we've had £120m set aside in a savings account, but it's not like getting Bruno made us forget the plan to get Sancho.
Heck, even selling Lukaku at the end of the window last year boosted the available cash for what we could do in the next windows.

But the current world-situation has made things more challenging, and we have to consider what we need to best balance the team for where our weaknesses are, so we try to get the best possible deals with the money available.

It's a dumb comparison, but it's like when I play an online game and I need new gear for my character. I know how much money I have and I'll usually have multiple search tabs open for items available on the market, in several price-classes for the slots that need improving. Evaluating what's available takes some time, but once I find the best balance I can get within my budget I quickly pull the trigger to buy the pieces with the cash I have before I go out to grind more. Sometimes that means buying lesser gear to save the money so I can get that Legendary item in the next round.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He literally said it in a tweet in the previous page, and I assume it was from today. He was being asked about it in some newsroom or something
He recapped Dortmund's public statements. There's nothing new there, so you have nothing to worry about.

Rolaholic

He slyly backtracks on the claims he published once Fabrizio replied and offers up a pisstake at the end :lol:

These UK journo's must hate these foreign journo's for always beating them to big signings by English clubs

snowkarl

He backtracked on his claims he published once Fabrizio replied and offered up a pisstake at the end :lol:

These UK journo's must hate these foreign journo's for always beating them to big signings by English clubs
Wow holy sht. "Personal terms agreed because United CAN pay an infinite amount". What a charlatan.

Chief123

I'm praying for the day the thread title gets changed to "Jadon Sancho - Dortmund say Ja!"

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not saying he would reply but someone needs to ask Romano his opinion on whether Dortmund accept three instalments over a couple of years for Jadon
Romano has no idea what BD would accept or he would have posted it by now

passing-wind

This is tiresome but what else is the alternative with Woodward / Judge in charge. So long as the deal is over the line by October 5th it doesn't really matter. I actually think we will get the player.

red thru&thru

Pretty obvious that terms won't be a problem. United have been working on this deal, minimum, since last year.

Gazza

It's the probability of success of these mega money signings that's also which needs to looked at. The same statement could've been made for Pogba as well. But as we've seen, it takes a team to win and not individual players.
True but all great teams are also made up of great individuals, the two are not mutually exclusive. You gave the example of Pogba, I would suggest Ferdinand and Rooney are fitting examples, young players we can help develop and may stay with us for 10 years or more.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

How about this analogy

Outside of the low ball offer this is a bad example because the second part about structuring the payment is something most car dealers would accept. Indeed, they won't even need a substantial down payment to complete a deal. Down payment is a benefit to the buyer as it reduces future payment amounts.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If Chelsea play Leverkusen 85m for Havertz, can we really expect Dortmund to not want 100 odd mil or whatever for Sancho?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ogden doesn't know a lot.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Except this particular dealer has only one Turbo S to sell and nobody else can afford to even spend 80k on it. What's more, this particular Porche dealer just reported big losses in the last quarter, and has forecasted further losses in the next quarter at the very least. Oh what's that? The government have told this dealer they aren't allowing customers inside the dealership, meaning losses are going to be significantly bigger than they first thought?

See, we can both bastardize a analogy.

RUCK4444

considering we are 30 points off, thats a bit expectant. we have literally only just now got into the CL places. Klopp didn't make a title run as soon as they made CL. It took a bit longer and more windows.
I’m thinking more about our form after the Bruno signing, our points gained after his arrival is right up there.

Only fair to assume if we can keep that form up in the league and add Sancho that we can do some damage.

As I said I don’t expect us to win the league but I would expect a closer gap for sure.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Ogden also saying personal terms holding up the deal.

I trust Romano more but it is interesting how every UK journalist has this news.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I trust Romano more but it is interesting how every UK journalist has this news.
I'm pretty sure that it's down to how the agent fees are being interpreted. Sancho's agent himself is also negotiating on behalf of Dortmund (along with Marco Lichsteiner), and that's where part of the agent fees would go, I presume. The English media and the club interpret that as us not agreeing on personal terms, whilst Romano and the German media don't take the agent fees into consideration.

Utdstar01

Ogden also saying personal terms holding up the deal.

just a spin on what's already said. club's are telling them no personal terms are agreed.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I'm pretty sure that it's down to how the agent fees are being interpreted. Sancho's agent himself is also negotiating on behalf of Dortmund (along with Marco Lichsteiner), and that's where part of the agent fees would go, I presume. The English media and the club interpret that as us not agreeing on personal terms, whilst Romano and the German media don't take the agent fees into consideration.
But Ogden mentions both of them separately. Agent fees and personal terms are not yet agreed while Romano is adamant that personal terms are agreed.

To be honest I don't think personal terms are that difficult to agree once we agree the transfer fee. We are waiting for some other reason it seems and feeding UK journalist to buy some time

MDFC Manager

Ogden is probably partially right, in that agent fees haven't been agreed. Especially for an agent who doesn't even represent Sancho and is only in the picture because Dortmund want it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.