Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I read a T1 reporter for Ajax said we got VdB instead of Sancho.

Anyone know who/when?

Seems like this might be dead in the water?

Ah, found it :

Mike Verweij (Tier 1 for Ajax) article in De Telegraaf (Tier 2) about us wrapping up Van de Beek, threw in this bit:

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1184990269/opeens-wilde-de-hele-wereld-donny-van-de-beek
By all accounts, we're still in for Sancho, and seeing as others have mentioned, they're two completely different positions, i don't see VDB signing as having any impact on us getting Sancho or another RW.

Until we sign another RW, or the club brief that we've cooled our interest (as we usually do - see Grealish for example) then it can be assumed that we're still going for him and working out a potential deal.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Mike Verweij (Tier 1 for Ajax) article in De Telegraaf (Tier 2) about us wrapping up Van de Beek, threw in this bit:
He's Tier 1 for Dutch-related transfer news. He wouldn't know much about our overall transfer activity. He's probably basing this off of the overall quietness on the Sancho transfer and the fact that our first sudden bit of activity was to seal van de Beek. Beyond that, he wouldn't know much about our other targets.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I read a T1 reporter for Ajax said we got VdB instead of Sancho.

Anyone know who/when?

Seems like this might be dead in the water?

Ah, found it :

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1184990269/opeens-wilde-de-hele-wereld-donny-van-de-beek
There are higher tier journalists saying that Sancho is still an option and United need to meet the valuation set by Dortmund.

I'd be more inclined to trust people like Romano who is generally the source as it generally goes Romano tweets, BBC and Sky Sports are briefed and they report it.

Nowhere has a briefing taken place to say that deal won't happen, United I think are waiting for the season start to bid for Sancho.

If a journalist is right about X doesn't mean they will be about Y even if it's in the same statement. 'Van de Beek is signing for Manchester United, and Elephants are purple'.

He's obviously credible when it comes to VDB but not so much about the latter.

I see United doing all their business in the next 7-10 days to give a week or so of training before starting on the next campaign.

It's worth noting United have extra time due to European progression.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I hope ye are right.

I don't think it's likely though - no talk about this in Germany, no worries about it in Dortmund message boards at all. Mostly just laughing at deluded United fans if anything.

Superunknown

I hope ye are right.

I don't think it's likely though - no talk about this in Germany, no worries about it in Dortmund message boards at all. Mostly just laughing at deluded United fans if anything.
They might be laughing for now, but they'll have maybe a year or two max out of him before Dortmund sell him on, either to us or to somebody else. It is inevitable that he will go. This is just Dortmund holding out for the right price, it isn't a statement of their ambitions going forward.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I hope ye are right.

Strangely I think one thing worth noting is United know they need to catch Liverpool and City, and seeing how much Chelsea have strengthened (especially the Havertz deal) today will make United press a bit more to get deals over the line.

I'm sure the board won't be happy with finishing 4th next year.

Giggsy13

I hope ye are right.

We might be laughing at their small time supporters soon enough. They’re a selling club who get whipped by Munich every year. Holding on to Sancho for another month will be like a trophy for those German bastards.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Knowing Dortmund I wouldn't be surprised if they end up selling him for 13,5m to Bayern or losing him to them on a free transfer in the future.

Joking aside, I do believe we would've briefed the press had it been off.

Chief123

I just can't see Barcelona trying to get Sancho. They would need a bigger name to please the fans. Forking out €120 million on a player most Barca-fans hardly have seen play, simply wouldn't do it.
I don't understand these Sancho to Barca/Real etc posts. I've read that the reason he wants to leave Germany is because he's homesick and wants to come back to the UK, so why would he move from Germany to Spain, or France etc if he's so homesick? Or maybe the homesick thing has been created by the media to try and justify a move away from Dortmund?
Did you guys even read the OPs post that you are replying to? It’s as if you started replying as soon as you saw the word Barca.

peridigm

I hope ye are right.

Dortmund will always have the last laugh from their point of view. They'll either have the player for next season or €120m.

Tomuś

On the contrary, the board will give Ole a lifetime contract if he can secure Champions League football every season (Even if he wins no trophy).
Cementing our place in Top 4 and marking it a cert is a start and a good platform.

The thing that worries me is that it looks like we're not ambitious enough to make a step up.

Superunknown

Missing out on Sancho doesn't necessarily mean we can't improve on Top 4. There's too many factors to consider, like who else we sign for other key areas (like centre backs, full backs, defensive mid, other wingers), or outside factors such as fixture congestion, or other effects of Covid-19 on football (like the possibility of games being delayed if there an outbreak was to occur). There's even the possibility that other teams do or don't make good signings, and how they gel. There's a possibility we could get the same points as last year and finish lower or in the exact same position.

It doesn't all hinge on one signing. Clubs miss out on signings all of the time, and that's the nature of transfer windows. We've missed out on numerous players at various different times. Sometimes we sign other players who do well in their stead, or sometimes it turns out that the player we missed out on either went on to do amazing somewhere else, or didn't.

Regardless, whatever happens at the end of the window happens. RW isn't the only area of the squad that needs improving. We have numerous other positions that need attention, so if the club do prioritise that money for elsewhere, then it's understandable. If the club deems this transfer too much money and doesn't go for it, I can understand that, too.

What we can't do is blame the whole of next season on not signing this one player. I can't subscribe to that idea.

If we do sign him, then the opposite applies. It doesn't automatically mean we are instantly going to improve on our league position on last year either. Football doesn't work that way. I'm fairly relaxed about this transfer now because I don't think it will happen due to the money, and the circumstances with the way things are just makes a signing like this a bit harder. Whatever happens, happens.

Tomuś

I'm not saying missing out on one player decides everything but it's becoming a pattern for us to spend less after a top 4 finish.

DarkDog

Sancho deal was off on 10th of August when Watzke said that the deal was off. We had the deadline, we had player who wanted to come here, we knew how much they wanted for Sancho. Edward tried to feck with BVB and got his hands burned. But because of the backlash (but mostly because of his phobia with house fires) Edward Woodward didnt tell it was off. He will buy DVB, some random defender like Badiashile and then blows the remaining budget on some random guy and then brief the press that Sancho deal is off until next summer and next summer we wont get him because RM, Barca or PSG will buy him

''I'm told Dennis Bergkamp played a big role in persuading Donny Van De Beek to move to #mufc. Bergkamp is Donny's father in law. Also heard Solskjaer could move for @JackGrealish as hopes over Jadon Sancho fade. Tune into the Transfer Show's throughout the day on @SkySportsNews. ''
Pete Graves

Superunknown

I'm not saying missing out on one player decides everything but it's becoming a pattern for us to spend less after a top 4 finish.
There could be something in that. But, I think the club needs to spend "smart" rather than "spend big". Sometimes the two cross over and there's an expensive signing that could be made who will bring a lot of value to the club. One could argue that Sancho is that type of signing.

But just something to think about, these are Bayern Munich's last few transfer windows: Bayern Munich

Lucas Hernandez is their big money signing last season, and we're looking at £70million+ for that. But, look at the other values. Sane for £40million, Pavard for £30million, loan deals for Perisic and Coutinho, Goretzka for free (look how good that one turned out to be), Davies for £9million (another crazy signing), Gnabry for £7million.

Hernandez aside, those are all very achievable numbers for us and low cost signings. We could seriously do with looking at what Bayern Munich are doing and trying to emulate that, if we don't want to be spending money like this on Sancho. However, the low costs that we spend on other signings would give us the ability to have more funds for a big signing like Sancho, as and when they are available.

Basically, there's a lot there to think about. Bayern seem to have a great model and it's working well for them. It helps that their league is generally not as competitive as the Premier League, but the players that they manage get for those prices is insane.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Sancho is still our number 1 target despite us signing VDB, if we can get him aswell as upamecano then that’s some statement and a really good team being built! Come on Ed let’s do it! #MUFC

Valencia Shin Crosses

There could be something in that. But, I think the club needs to spend "smart" rather than "spend big". Sometimes the two cross over and there's an expensive signing that could be made who will bring a lot of value to the club. One could argue that Sancho is that type of signing.

But just something to think about, these are Bayern Munich's last few transfer windows: Bayern Munich

Lucas Hernandez is their big money signing last season, and we're looking at £70million+ for that. But, look at the other values. Sane for £40million, Pavard for £30million, loan deals for Perisic and Coutinho, Goretzka for free (look how good that one turned out to be), Davies for £9million (another crazy signing), Gnabry for £7million.

Hernandez aside, those are all very achievable numbers for us and low cost signings. We could seriously do with looking at what Bayern Munich are doing and trying to emulate that, if we don't want to be spending money like this on Sancho. However, the low costs that we spend on other signings would give us the ability to have more funds for a big signing like Sancho, as and when they are available.

Basically, there's a lot there to think about. Bayern seem to have a great model and it's working well for them. It helps that their league is generally not as competitive as the Premier League, but the players that they manage get for those prices is insane.
Bayern are able to do that because basically every German player in the world would kill to play at that club, and they basically have a free path to the best youngsters in the Bundes. It's not just good transfer practice, they have basically a monopoly on many of the young players in Germany, along with a big brother attitude about their only competition in Dortmund who is the biggest selling club in the world.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
It's not very often when we consistently brief that someone is still our no.1 target after weeks of negotiations. Usually the club backs out when the seller won't negotiate a lower price or it turns out the player is not interested. This makes me much more confident we will get him in the end.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
If it was dead we’d brief it was dead. The fact we’ve moved for DVB with no indication that it affects the Sancho deal is encouraging

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If it was dead we’d brief it was dead. The fact we’ve moved for DVB with no indication that it affects the Sancho deal is encouraging
Agreed, the club will have calculated the costs and the money will be there for Sancho, Sancho will be the very last signing of the window (for United)

Chief123

Interesting Podcast with Christian Falk in Germany. As you may know, he is tier 1 journalist in Germany.

He talks about Sancho still wanting to come to Utd and Dortmund being relaxed about the situation if Utd don't meet the asking price this summer. What was interesting was when he was asked if he could say anything about Dortmund looking for possible replacements in the event that Sancho does leave, he responded "I could, but I can't!". Basically saying Watzke was in discussions regarding options.

Sancho talk starts at 19:40

EngimaMK

I was excited about the prospect of Sancho coming here and would still be if he signed but honestly can't blame the club if they don't want to spend 120m on a single player, especially in the current climate. Money isn't infinite and we could really do with adding depth to the squad.

Some of you guys really act like kids when they don't get everything their own way.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Can't help but feel it's a response to this. Yes I think they are that petty :lol:

Chief123

Can't help but feel it's a response to this. Yes I think they are that petty :lol:

I get the impression Dortmund’s Twitter is managed by a 16 year old tool who’s a certified wind up merchant. The kind that watches full replays on Fifa and runs to the camera doing the shush and then pauses the game when he’s 3-0 up trying to entice you to quit and then starts doing two footed tackles when he feels the game is won. Cock.

Chief123

Working how? Ed and the team on mission 120m by picking coins hidden in their couch?
Biggest misconception about this whole transfer saga is that Dortmund want 120m euro up front. That’s absolutely not the case.

Red Comet

A few factors:
  • Bayern has a free run at the best of the best player in the Bundesliga. Unlike EPL, there are no sugar daddy clubs like Chelsea or Man City, which serves to inflate transfer fees and wages for all intra league transfers
  • The relative competitiveness of the league shouldn’t be underestimated. Prior to emergence of sugar daddy clubs we still have to fight with Liverpool and Arsenal for the best EPL players, both prestigious clubs in their own rights though Liverpool more so for English players as Wenger mainly goes for French
  • This gives an inordinate amount of bargaining power to Bayern. If Bayern comes calling, they will either have to sell their best player at a lower price point or risk their player join Bayern for free when their contract expires.
  • EPL money for clubs means that English clubs generally are less cash strap and financially dependent on selling players to balance their book. This results in more bargaining power and higher fees. This is where the “English tax” comes from.
  • It was the same for us pre Roman Abramovich era. It was usually between us, Arsenal or Liverpool and if we wanted a player from other English player it will usually be us who will get the player. See the likes of Ferdinand, Rooney, Cole, Sheringham and Yorke. The only aberration is Shearer who has stronger connections to Newcastle.
  • We are not the only club that has to pay more to sign players from other EPL clubs. Look at the amount that Chelsea is paying to land Ben Chilwell , Danny Drinkwater etc.
  • This reminds me, Leicester are more like Dortmund than any other club; being able to constantly sell their best players for loads of money, replace them with cheaper options while still being maintain the ability to challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.