Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Would you take that if it meant Ashley Young at right back again and no centre backs coming in?
Well Woodward said he had 100m for a CB last summer.

So we should still have that plus next summers budget.

Revan

Assumptionman
We can't predict the future. For one Mbappe, there are hundreds even thousands of failed to live up to the hype youngsters. What I'm saying is that it's a gamble and it should be done only if the rest of the issues in the quad have been addressed. If we get 3 very solid players - CM, RB and CB and still have a 100M in the budget, than sure - let's buy him, but not the other way around.
Not really, there are not. There are some players who you need to watch them 5 minutes to realize how good they can become.

Most of the failures are players who have done well as youngsters, but then don't do well in real teams (like Morrison for example). Mbappe and Sancho were/are already some of the best players in their own leagues.

If we don't get him, we will regret it for years to come.

Trizy

Dalot will have a bigger role next year. I think we'll sign a CB, CM and RW this summer.

I just don't see us prioritising RB with 2 young talents there waiting in the wings.
Neves(21), Sancho(18) & De Ligt (19) :drool:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Why is that a "one or the other" type of situation? Of course its not.
It could be, as we have a finite budget of around £200m and someone like Sancho will go for over half that budget at least.

cathari

I repeat my statement from yesterday. Name me one player that has the stats of Sancho at the age of 18 and had a bad career. Name me one.
Memphis Depay, Bojan Krkic, Ricardo Quaresma and Mario Balotelli.

Yeah, and Alexandre Pato.

Momochiru

I repeat my statement from yesterday. Name me one player that has the stats of Sancho at the age of 18 and had a bad career. Name me one.
I don't know all the stats for all players and I'm mostly following United, but here are some that have been hyped to the sky and than failed to live up to it (so far for some of them): Martin Ødegaard, Januzaj, Depay, Freddy Adu, Bojan, Robinho.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Another good point too. At least it wont be like with Mkhi where he arrives in a new system like under Mourinho.

The point of me lining these things out is of course, that we all thought we had signed great players in the past. In hindsight, it's easy to see how Schweini, Mkhi and Kagawa wasn't good fits. Mkhitaryan actually showed kind of similar stats to Sancho right now + he probably was more mature / arriving at a mature age. 56 games: 21 goals, 26 assists before he joined us. Outrageous stats really. Kevin De Bruyne on the other hand, also had crazy stats and went on to perform.
Mhki really only had a good 6 months at Dortmund, and two and a half years where he was pure trash. You cannot use him as an example to say Bundesliga players fail elsewhere
I don't know all the stats for all players and I'm mostly following United, but here are some that have been hyped to the sky and than failed to live up to it (so far for some of them): Martin Ødegaard, Januzaj, Depay, Freddy Adu, Bojan, Robinho.
This list is ridiculous. None of the players you mentioned even showed anything remotely close to what Sancho is showing now.

Revan

Assumptionman

Depay played in a farmers league, Krkic didn't do much for Barca's first team, Quaresma never did that good for a top team.

Balotelli and Pato are fair points. The first had always question marks about his mentality, while the second was ruined from injuries.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Depay played in a farmers league, Krkic didn't do much for Barca's first team, Quaresma never did that good for a top team.

Balotelli and Pato are fair points. The first had always question marks about his mentality, while the second was ruined from injuries.
Pato was a colossal shame, I think he would have been an absolutely devastating striker if he had stayed injury free. Still remember that goal vs Barcelona, he had pretty much everything you need in a modern striker.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

You asked for it... when all players were aged 18:

Memphis Depay - 619mins, 5 goals, 4 assists in Eredivisie (not a top 5 league)
Bojan Krkic - 2181mins, 12 goals, 7 assists in La Liga
Ricardo Quaresma - 2216mins, 5 goals, 0 assists in Liga NOS (not a top 5 league)
Mario Balotelli - 570mins, 3 goals, 3 assists in Serie A
Alexandre Pato - 1277mins, 9 goals, 2 assists in Serie A

Krkic probably the only one close to Sanchos stats right now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
After yesterday's appearance of Garner there should be no doubts that Sancho would easily find playing time at Man United.

It's a football club made for player like him.

cyberman

It could be, as we have a finite budget of around £200m and someone like Sancho will go for over half that budget at least.
Well if you start putting make believe budgets in place then of course we can't afford him.
Sancho and Toby for 125m has two positions sorted immediately, that leaves 80m of your budget to sort out a midfielder or right back (if you don't believe in Dalot that is)
Sancho would be well within our budget.

Classical Mechanic

Odegaard is 20 years old and is actually starting to look a player this season, albeit in Holland. I wouldn't write him off.

OK Robinho was touted as the next Pele so he didn't live up to that but he had a pretty darn good career: won the title in Spain x2, Italy x 1. Won 100 caps for Brazil and won the Copa America.

Revan

Assumptionman

Ricardo Quaresma - 2216mins, 5 goals, 0 assists in Liga NOS (not a top 5 league)

Pato too based on this. Additionally, he went there in January, which is always harder to do well.
Pato was a colossal shame, I think he would have been an absolutely devastating striker if he had stayed injury free. Still remember that goal vs Barcelona, he had pretty much everything you need in a modern striker.
Yeah, was convinced that he's gonna become the best striker in the world. He should have become as good as Aguero, and likely would have been if he didn't get injured. His debut is one of the best debuts I have ever seen.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well if you start putting make believe budgets in place then of course we can't afford him.
Sancho and Toby for 125m has two positions sorted immediately, that leaves 80m of your budget to sort out a midfielder or right back (if you don't believe in Dalot that is)
Sancho would be well within out budget.
Aye. Plus if we sign him and Alder, then we can at least sell one of Lukaku/Sanchez (maybe both if we decide that Greenwood is ready, or we find some cheap backup who is happy to come from the bench) and two of Rojo/Jones/Bailly, which will add quite a bit of money to invest in the other two positions (RB and CM).

I want Sancho and De Ligt though. Don't care for other positions if we can get them.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
My point, is that the majority of the players you've listed weren't actually playing at the level Sancho has been doing at the age of 18. I would totally agree with you that paying out top dollar for a player like Greenwood or Hudson-Odoi is dumb in our situation. I'd also agree if Sancho was 21/22 years old. But given he's clearly a special talent doing this at the age of 18, you gotta go big. I actually think Woodward will back Ole with serious funds this summer as he'll see the progress he's making and will back him this window. Should be a fun window.

Revan

Assumptionman
The problem is that you are comparing players who were great at youth level, with players who have been great for a first team.

Odegaard was hyped as a youngster, same for Adu who debuted at 14 or whatever. They never did anything of note in senior games though. We saw Morrison, he looked great in youth levels, but did feck all for seniors. Such cases must not be mistaken and compared with proven players like Sancho who is one of the best in his league. For example, Greenwood looks fantastic for youth squads, but no one knows if he is gonna make it in senior level.

Depay played in a weak league. Januzaj and Bojan have been nowhere as good as Sancho. Robinho came with reputation from Brazil, but didn't do much in Europe.

He should be compared with the likes of Mbappe, Rooney and Dembele at that age, not with kids who played well for U18.

Treble

Valeri Bojinov was a teen sensation in Seria A, outscored Zlatan in the first half of 04/05 season while playing for Lecce and earned a big money move to Fiorentina. And faded in obscurity.

Revan

Assumptionman
Valeri Bojinov was a teen sensation in Seria A, outscored Zlatan in the first half of 04/05 season while playing for Lecce and earned a big money move to Fiorentina. And faded in obscurity.
He was playing for Lecce when he was Sancho's age. It is a good comparison though, he looked a bit like Serie A's version to Rooney, just that he went fast into obscurity.

People are forgetting that Sancho is one of two best players of Bundesliga's leader, a title who is fighting for the title. He isn't a youth player or a player playing for a shit team, he is already proven.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Checked his stats just.

2941mins, 14 goals, 8 assists the day he turned 19.

Treble

Checked his stats just.

2941mins, 14 goals, 8 assists the day he turned 19.
And?

Compare only the first halfs of their breakthrough seasons, 04/05 and 18/19. Bojnov's stats are comparable even though he played for a much weaker team and in a stronger league.

cathari

I guess we're getting a little of topic but

cathari

I love this game of yours :D

Revan

Assumptionman
I guess we're getting a little of topic but
They are good stats, but well, it was Barcelona (and Messi was playing in the right instead of scoring all the goals for himself).

Bojan's reputation came more from youth teams when he scored a shitload of goals (more than Messi had done before him), but in the first team, he never looked super special.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Sancho would be well within our budget.
That is assuming we will get Sancho for £100m and not taking any agent fees etc into account.

United58

Fair point, however it is not the case for Sancho (as you said in your post). He ticks all the boxes:

- actually very good, with world class talent, maybe even a generational talent.
- plays in the position where we are weakest.
- very young, which means that even if he is a catastrophic failure will probably get us some money back.
- homegrown, just in case we would need it for the quotas.

It is as an obvious signing as we can hope for.
Yeah I'm definitely behind the signing, just not for "make sure other teams don't get him" reasons

Alemar

After yesterday's appearance of Garner there should be no doubts that Sancho would easily find playing time at Man United.

It's a football club made for player like him.
Well, if we had Sancho instead of Dalot in RW then Crystal Palace could have been just torn apart. It is easy to see that Sancho will improve our team, without a doubt. Even if he doesn't reach current level of Mbappe, he will still improve us greatly

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Sancho would be such a massive upgrade, it makes sense on all levels to test Dortmund's resolve. He is absolutely worth the triple digits sum of millions to get him. This isn't about getting him before other teams do, it's about getting one of the best young players at a position where he will shine and there is a massive need. If United let him go to another team, it'll be a massive failure.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
6 goals and 11 assists.
In a stronger Bundesliga than what it is today.
It's pretty comparable to what Sancho is doing
Gotze is a pretty decent shout to be fair. 6 goals and 15 assists in 2582mins before he hit 19 years old. Sancho already has more than that in significantly less minutes but it's a decent comparison.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gotze is a pretty decent shout to be fair. 6 goals and 15 assists in 2582mins before he hit 19 years old. Sancho already has more than that in significantly less minutes but it's a decent comparison.
Yes, Götze is a good comparison, he was very good in his first few seasons at Dortmund. I am convinced he would be in a stronger position than he is now had he not been hampered by medical issues. It took quite a long time for doctors to figure out that he had some kind of illness that affected his metabolism and then it took another while before that was resolved. I can also imagine that it is something that is still affecting him today. He is still a good player and improving at Dortmund again at the moment but he will never again be that player that was such an immense joy to watch in his teen years.

So I would put Götze into the same category as Pato, we don't really know how good he would have been if he had been healthy for his entire career. Of course Sancho is an entirely different kind of player relying less on speed to beat a man. I am really looking forward to see what he can do at his next club. I don't expect him to move this summer though since Dortmund have absolutely no reason to sell.

AkaAkuma

How has he adapted to German life?

Most British exports don't adapt well and head home after awhile. So I think it's more a case of when not if with him. We just need to be at the front of the queue when that time comes.

I can see Dortmund ruling out a transfer this summer, but the players will might change things the season after.

Status
Not open for further replies.