Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmichael

There’s going to be a fair bit of space freed up in the summer as I can see Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Pereira, Mata and Sanchez all being moved on which is probably about £750K a week in wages alone and I think some will be replaced by players being brought through like Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes and Chong so I think we’ll probably make 3 big signings.

Right wing and centre back are priority areas so I think we’ll go big in both and I don’t think there’s a better choice than Sancho as he seems perfect for us as we seem a perfect fit for him too. Between Sancho, Lingard and Chong we’d the right side of the attack set up for the next decade and I don’t see Dortmund turning down a fee in the region of £100 million.

Kostov

There’s going to be a fair bit of space freed up in the summer as I can see Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Pereira, Mata and Sanchez all being moved on which is probably about £750K a week in wages alone and I think some will be replaced by players being brought through like Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes and Chong so I think we’ll probably make 3 big signings.

Right wing and centre back are priority areas so I think we’ll go big in both and I don’t think there’s a better choice than Sancho as he seems perfect for us as we seem a perfect fit for him too. Between Sancho, Lingard and Chong we’d the right side of the attack set up for the next decade and I don’t see Dortmund turning down a fee in the region of £100 million.
That would be much easier said than done I feel.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Sancho would be such a massive upgrade, it makes sense on all levels to test Dortmund's resolve. He is absolutely worth the triple digits sum of millions to get him. This isn't about getting him before other teams do, it's about getting one of the best young players at a position where he will shine and there is a massive need. If United let him go to another team, it'll be a massive failure.
They have already sold Pulisic to Chelsea for quite a hefty sum. If there's one thing Dortmund's not lacking atm it's cash. Furthermore, they can get the same money or, likely, even more if they sell him next year or the year after.
So, if you're really looking at the matter from all angles, there's actually very little incentive for Dortmund to part from Sancho already.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They have already sold Pulisic to Chelsea for quite a hefty sum. If there's one thing Dortmund's not lacking atm it's cash. Furthermore, they can get the same money or, likely, even more if they sell him next year or the year after.
So, if you're really looking at the matter from all angles, there's actually very little incentive for Dortmund to part from Sancho already.
Yeah, Dortmund will only sell if Sancho does a Dembele.

lewwoo

It will be down to Sancho if he really wants the move this summer. Players have all the power these days.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah, Dortmund will only sell if Sancho does a Dembele.
This has been proposed by a few people here before and it is always a bit hard to swallow when someone basically roots for the player to be a dick so he can join their team (not saying you are doing that of course). If Sancho were indeed going to strike that would put our management into a pretty tricky situation. After the Dembele saga and Aubameyang stinking up the place a bit before he was let go our CEO explicitly said that the next player who tries that will end up in the bleachers. While Watzke is not someone that will always stand by what he said if that would be negative for the club (see the summer that Hummels, Mkhitaryan and Gündogan were sold) this would be a situation where making an example of Sancho would be the only way for him to save face. I am not 100% sure how he would act should the situation arise but I can't imagine that Sancho going on strike would make negotiations any easier.

That being said I am sure Sancho himself is aware of that and I think that does not make a strike more likely. I also don't peg him as someone that would do that in his current situation. That does not mean that I think he is morally above it but I think he is smarter than that (and smarter than Dembele that is). So unless something unexpected happens I assume he will stay for another season. In 2020 I am quite certain that he will leave the club but it is a long time until then and a lot can happen. Of course I may be blinded by being a fan and completely wrong in my assessment of the situation but if I may be so bold: I am willing to bet that Sancho will not be leaving this summer for €100m, if someone wants to turn Watzkes head it needs to be an absolutely insane amount of money and honestly, even then it would not really make sense for Dortmund since they can make the same amount of money the year after (barring injuries/huge loss of form) - maybe even more if he shines at the Euros.

mediocentr0

Supports
Juventus
I don't think so, Dortmund will only sell, if Sancho "does a Dembélé". I either don't think, Sancho will make a move in 2019. He still can develop at Dortmund very well and will be only 20 in summer 2020. With two years left (contract until 2022) and good performances, Dortmund can still get €100M+ in 2020. For me, Sancho is a AAA-talent like Dembélé, Mbappe, Vinícius Júnior and plainly better than Sané, Coman, Pulisic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treble

This has been proposed by a few people here before and it is always a bit hard to swallow when someone basically roots for the player to be a dick so he can join their team (not saying you are doing that of course). If Sancho were indeed going to strike that would put our management into a pretty tricky situation. After the Dembele saga and Aubameyang stinking up the place a bit before he was let go our CEO explicitly said that the next player who tries that will end up in the bleachers. While Watzke is not someone that will always stand by what he said if that would be negative for the club (see the summer that Hummels, Mkhitaryan and Gündogan were sold) this would be a situation where making an example of Sancho would be the only way for him to save face. I am not 100% sure how he would act should the situation arise but I can't imagine that Sancho going on strike would make negotiations any easier.

That being said I am sure Sancho himself is aware of that and I think that does not make a strike more likely. I also don't peg him as someone that would do that in his current situation. That does not mean that I think he is morally above it but I think he is smarter than that (and smarter than Dembele that is). So unless something unexpected happens I assume he will stay for another season. In 2020 I am quite certain that he will leave the club but it is a long time until then and a lot can happen. Of course I may be blinded by being a fan and completely wrong in my assessment of the situation but if I may be so bold: I am willing to bet that Sancho will not be leaving this summer for €100m, if someone wants to turn Watzkes head it needs to be an absolutely insane amount of money and honestly, even then it would not really make sense for Dortmund since they can make the same amount of money the year after (barring injuries/huge loss of form) - maybe even more if he shines at the Euros.
That's perfectly reasonable. The most likely outcome is that Sancho stays at Dortmund for another season.

It's not easy to predict what would happen if he goes on strike though. I reckon that if the offer is not insane (say, 150m) Dortmund will refuse to sell even if he goes on strike as he will have to show next season again that he is good enough for a big money move to a giant club.

Sancho himself might be seriously interested in a move this summer as he might earn an incredible contract and this is not something to sneer at. But Dortmund wouldn't sell unless the offer is well above his market value. And nobody is better placed than them to evaluate his proper price in the current market.

roonster09

Scout

Yeah, I didn't mean he should do that. Just that only way Dortmund will sell him is if he does a Dembele

Also don't think they will make him to sit in stands if he misses training to force a transfer. It's just unrealistic and illogical. End of the day, they are assets to the club.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

Why not? Don't you think they can get the same, or maybe even more, amout in the next 2 summers? Right now they have a class player playing for them with a long contract. If he keeps developing like that, he will be even more worth while beeing on reasonable wages to play for them.

I don't see a reason at all for BVB to sell for 100m this summer, unless the player starts revolting. Don't see it happening.

Camilo

I think it's very important he stays at Dortmund for at least another season - he's literally had a few good months. Good young player, but it's far too soon surely. 100 million for a kid who's never even played a full season is just stupid.

Unless he scores 30 goals next season I don't think that made-up 100 million figure is going to change much - he's still a total gamble for whoever pays it.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah, I didn't mean he should do that. Just that only way Dortmund will sell him is if he does a Dembele

Also don't think they will make him to sit in stands if he misses training to force a transfer. It's just unrealistic and illogical. End of the day, they are assets to the club.
I think it is really hard to tell what Dortmund would do in the event of Sancho trying to force a move. I am not sure they can afford to set another precedent like that because that would show, that they are fully in the hand of the players. It is a very slippery slope and Watzke has been trying to counteract it by announcing that forcing moves and going on strike will not be tolerated anymore. Of course it is meant as a preemptive statement and he does not want to do it but I would not rule out that he goes through with it (honestly I hope he would). I just hope that Sancho and other players are just not going to take that risk. Not even mentioning that it is just a really ungrateful and selfish move.

roonster09

Scout
I think it is really hard to tell what Dortmund would do in the event of Sancho trying to force a move. I am not sure they can afford to set another precedent like that because that would show, that they are fully in the hand of the players. It is a very slippery slope and Watzke has been trying to counteract it by announcing that forcing moves and going on strike will not be tolerated anymore. Of course it is meant as a preemptive statement and he does not want to do it but I would not rule out that he goes through with it (honestly I hope he would). I just hope that Sancho and other players are just not going to take that risk. Not even mentioning that it is just a really ungrateful and selfish move.
Whether we agree or not, power is with players. Unless the club is loaded with shit loads of money, it's unrealistic to banish player to stands just because he wanted to force a move.

Also not sure why if he does that it would be ungrateful and selfish, he did same at City missing training to force his move. It's just that Dortmund were the one who benefited from it.

stepic

Why not? Don't you think they can get the same, or maybe even more, amout in the next 2 summers? Right now they have a class player playing for them with a long contract. If he keeps developing like that, he will be even more worth while beeing on reasonable wages to play for them.
if he keeps developing.

if he doesn't develop next season, and his form drops, he won't be worth as much. clubs pay for potential these days, if that potential starts to wane, so will his value. he's probably at peak potential right now. it's not necessarily a bad time to sell, given they could ask for such a huge sum. it's a gamble they have to decide themselves. but Dortmund have been known to sell players.

if the player himself starts making a few noises, without necessarily going full Dembele, then that can only help too.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
if he keeps developing.

if he doesn't develop next season, and his form drops, he won't be worth as much. clubs pay for potential these days, if that potential starts to wane, so will his value. he's probably at peak potential right now. it's not necessarily a bad time to sell, given they could ask for such a huge sum. it's a gamble they have to decide themselves. but Dortmund have been known to sell players.

if the player himself starts making a few noises, without necessarily going full Dembele, then that can only help too.
Nah. Even if he doesn't develop well next season (which seems unlikely), there will still be an english club paying huge for him as we have seen his potential already. I have no doubt about that. Dortmund is in a great position here. They won't sell this summer unless the offer is completely insane.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Whether we agree or not, power is with players. Unless the club is loaded with shit loads of money, it's unrealistic to banish player to stands just because he wanted to force a move.

Also not sure why if he does that it would be ungrateful and selfish, he did same at City missing training to force his move. It's just that Dortmund were the one who benefited from it.
The players have a lot of power, yes. With Pulisic leaving in the summer Sancho is pretty much our only player that can be expected to create chances from nothing or who can dribble without a lot of space/momentum. In that way we are dependent on him, financially we are not. I don't think it is as clear cut as you are describing it, Dortmund do have the power to ruin his career entirely, but of course they won't send him to the stands for three years. Denying him a move and have him sit in the stands for a month is well within the limits of my imagination though. At that point he has two options: Sulk and ruin his own market value for himself and us or keep playing and Dortmund will have both the player and a statement for future would-be move-forcers. Again, I am not saying I expect it to happen this way but I also don't think Sancho can freely decide where he wants to go.

Ungrateful or selfish? I think ungrateful might be a bit of a stretch. Of course you can argue that we gave him the chance to develop and gave him a lot of playing time. On the other hand that was not done for charitable purposes, Dortmund expected to get something out of the deal so that does arguably not count. It is different for players that come from the own academy and leave as soon as there is the chance but that is a different story. But it is of course selfish. He signed a contract for four years and (hypothetically) wants to leave and if they won't let him he is going to force it. That would be the definition of selfishness, not thinking of others but just about himself.

I don't think I know enough about the circumstances of his move from City to Dortmund to properly judge it. The way I understand it his contract ran out and City did not want to or could not guarantee him any playing time with the seniors. That is why he wanted out, in the end Dortmund paid a fee for City not to sue over some technicalities. City were probably going to lose that lawsuit but it would have significantly delayed the process. I repeat, I am not sure of this, this is how I remember it. I know Sancho missed practices as well and I was not happy at the time because his signing came half a year after Dembele's saga.

Dembele himself had a history of striking and throwing tantrums at Rennes, so it seemed a bit weird Dortmund were going to buy someone with a similar history. Because of that they can of course not paint themselves as the victims and I don't do that either. In the end it is two parties with financial and sports related interests and I just wish they would at least have an equal amount of power to hold each other to contracts that they signed.

stepic

Nah. Even if he doesn't develop well next season (which seems unlikely), there will still be an english club paying huge for him as we have seen his potential already. I have no doubt about that. Dortmund is in a great position here. They won't sell this summer unless the offer is completely insane.
i agree it's unlikely he leaves at the end of the day. but there are still risks in not selling such a young player for £100m, who could potentially get injured, lose form, throw a tantrum etc. if Dortmund think they can get even more for him in the future, and don't think their team would benefit from the extra investment, then yeah, they probably don't sell. i don't necessarily think £100m for good young players is necessarily a 'going rate' though, i'd say it's still a pretty huge offer. Sancho has barely established himself in the England team after all.

roonster09

Scout
The players have a lot of power, yes. With Pulisic leaving in the summer Sancho is pretty much our only player that can be expected to create chances from nothing or who can dribble without a lot of space/momentum. In that way we are dependent on him, financially we are not. I don't think it is as clear cut as you are describing it, Dortmund do have the power to ruin his career entirely, but of course they won't send him to the stands for three years. Denying him a move and have him sit in the stands for a month is well within the limits of my imagination though. At that point he has two options: Sulk and ruin his own market value for himself and us or keep playing and Dortmund will have both the player and a statement for future would-be move-forcers. Again, I am not saying I expect it to happen this way but I also don't think Sancho can freely decide where he wants to go.

Ungrateful or selfish? I think ungrateful might be a bit of a stretch. Of course you can argue that we gave him the chance to develop and gave him a lot of playing time. On the other hand that was not done for charitable purposes, Dortmund expected to get something out of the deal so that does arguably not count. It is different for players that come from the own academy and leave as soon as there is the chance but that is a different story. But it is of course selfish. He signed a contract for four years and (hypothetically) wants to leave and if they won't let him he is going to force it. That would be the definition of selfishness, not thinking of others but just about himself.

I don't think I know enough about the circumstances of his move from City to Dortmund to properly judge it. The way I understand it his contract ran out and City did not want to or could not guarantee him any playing time with the seniors. That is why he wanted out, in the end Dortmund paid a fee for City not to sue over some technicalities. City were probably going to lose that lawsuit but it would have significantly delayed the process. I repeat, I am not sure of this, this is how I remember it. I know Sancho missed practices as well and I was not happy at the time because his signing came half a year after Dembele's saga.

Dembele himself had a history of striking and throwing tantrums at Rennes, so it seemed a bit weird Dortmund were going to buy someone with a similar history. Because of that they can of course not paint themselves as the victims and I don't do that either. In the end it is two parties with financial and sports related interests and I just wish they would at least have an equal amount of power to hold each other to contracts that they signed.
Sancho had 1 year left on the contract and refused to sign extension. That's why City sold him, before that he missed training to force his move.

Also no, Dortmund can't ruin his career as there is a provision to terminate contract under FIFA rule.

An established professional who has, in the course of the season, appeared in fewer than ten per cent of the official matches in which his club has been involved may terminate his contract prematurely on the ground of sporting just cause. Due consideration shall be given to the player’s circumstances in the appraisal of such cases. The existence of a sporting just cause shall be established on a caseby-case basis. In such a case, sporting sanctions shall not be imposed, though compensation may be payable. A professional may only terminate his contract on this basis in the 15 days following the last official match of the season of the club with which he is registered.
https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/af...e_status_and_transfer_of_players_en_33410.pdf

Article 15.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Do people really think if we sign Sancho for 140 million, we can't afford any other players at all?
Probably. It is hypothetical given the significant increase in player transfers. We definitely can’t blow all our budget on one player.

Who else do you think we could sign if we spend all that on Sancho?

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sancho had 1 year left on the contract and refused to sign extension. That's why City sold him, before that he missed training to force his move.
Do you have a source for that? I just quickly glanced over an article in kicker from the time he was transferred and they write, that he had a scholarship-contract that ran for another year. This contract could be terminated unilaterally by the player and he did just that. This is in their description of the event the reason for the transfer fee because the termination of the contract would have had to be finalized by the FA or a similar entity. Dortmund paid because they did not want to wait for the bureaucracy.

I think there was also talk of Pep not wanting to field Sancho unless he signed a professional contract but that is just me remembering stuff again. I do not claim that report by kicker to be the truth but I would trust them to a certain extent unless you have something convincing me otherwise ;)

Also no, Dortmund can't ruin his career as there is a provision to terminate contract under FIFA rule.

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/af...e_status_and_transfer_of_players_en_33410.pdf

Article 15.
I did not know that, I learned something today. Seems sensible although it is far from clear what a "sporting just cause" is. If Dortmund banish him to the stands out of spite (why the hell would they do that) then that would probably the case though.

Morpheus 7

Dortmund will accept £75m, they know he'll return to England in the next two years regardless. They will make a big profit and buy again, not selling to a direct rival too.

Treble

Dortmund will accept £75m, they know he'll return to England in the next two years regardless. They will make a big profit and buy again, not selling to a direct rival too.
Regardless or for 130m?

IF Sancho is as good as most on here think he is, Dortmund must be utterly stupid to sell him for 75m, especially given that City will take 15% of that.

cyberman

I don't see a reason at all for BVB to sell for 100m this summer, unless the player starts revolting. Don't see it happening.
keep him for two years means its two years less of developing another player for a huge profit. That's why they'll sell.
basically flipping Sancho for a huge profit and moving on to the next one.
imagine they didn't sell Dembele, would Sancho be playing as much? And on they go..

roonster09

Scout
Do you have a source for that? I just quickly glanced over an article in kicker from the time he was transferred and they write, that he had a scholarship-contract that ran for another year. This contract could be terminated unilaterally by the player and he did just that. This is in their description of the event the reason for the transfer fee because the termination of the contract would have had to be finalized by the FA or a similar entity. Dortmund paid because they did not want to wait for the bureaucracy.

I think there was also talk of Pep not wanting to field Sancho unless he signed a professional contract but that is just me remembering stuff again. I do not claim that report by kicker to be the truth but I would trust them to a certain extent unless you have something convincing me otherwise ;)

I did not know that, I learned something today. Seems sensible although it is far from clear what a "sporting just cause" is. If Dortmund banish him to the stands out of spite (why the hell would they do that) then that would probably the case though.
Maybe you are correct, I just remember it reading long back.

stepic

The straws some of you transfer muppets are willing to grasp at to keep the dream alive never cease to amaze me :lol:
if you'd bothered to continue reading, the context of that comment is that it's not just automatic that Sancho's value will continue to increase exponentially. there is always risk with players, he could do his knee tomorrow and be out for a year. the point is that £100m is a shitload of money for a player who is not yet world class, and you'd be stupid to think Dortmund wouldn't at least be tempted. i also noted above that he's still unlikely to be sold.

Morpheus 7

Regardless or for 130m?

IF Sancho is as good as most on here think he is, Dortmund must be utterly stupid to sell him for 75m, especially given that City will take 15% of that.
He was bought for about £8m, Dortmund like it or not are a selling club. English players rarely stay abroad, that's a fact. It will come down to the player in the end, he might stay another year to develop. He's not going to be much more than £75m, the bundesliga isn't while high quality and there aren't a line of clubs to buy him like Real, Bayern, Juve or Barca. Then that leaves only a few English clubs that could afford him.

Treble

I think City are not completely out of the equation if they think of Sancho as having a higher ceiling than their current wide players. If they think that he is the next big thing, they might try to persuade him to resign by promising him to start on the right with Sterling on the left. IIRC, Sane hasn't signed a new contract yet and Mahrez doesn't look indispensable anyway.

Treble

He was bought for about £8m, Dortmund like it or not are a selling club. English players rarely stay abroad, that's a fact. It will come down to the player in the end, he might stay another year to develop. He's not going to be much more than £75m, the bundesliga isn't while high quality and there aren't a line of clubs to buy him like Real, Bayern, Juve or Barca. Then that leaves only a few English clubs that could afford him.
He is likely to leave Dortmund but not for 75m. You know Dortmund sold Demebele for much more than 75m, right?

mu4c_20le

I think City are not completely out of the equation if they think of Sancho as having a higher ceiling than their current wide players. If they think that he is the next big thing, they might try to persuade him to resign by promising him to start on the right with Sterling on the left. IIRC, Sane hasn't signed a new contract yet and Mahrez doesn't look indispensable anyway.
City wont get him this year unless Pep goes back on his word. I can't see that happening unless the sheik intervenes. its our best chance to get him because if he improves further then everyone will want him next year including city.

Treble

City wont get him this year unless Pep goes back on his word. I can't see that happening unless the sheik intervenes. its our best chance to get him because if he improves further then everyone will want him next year including city.
Guardiola said he doesn't want him?

Btw, Laporte snubbed Guardiola in 2016 and then Guardiola signed him in 2018. Things can change quicky.

Agree that this summer is probably the best moment to sign Sancho in terms of competition from other clubs. City might be in for another winger already this summer though if Mahrez is deemed a flop.

stepic

i'm not yet convinced Sancho has a higher ceiling than Sane. Sane is class, and more proven. i don't see how Sancho is a priority at all for City, they have other areas to improve (possible replacement for Mendy and backup for Fernandinho for starters).

Treble

i'm not yet convinced Sancho has a higher ceiling than Sane. Sane is class, and more proven. i don't see how Sancho is a priority at all for City, they have other areas to improve (possible replacement for Mendy and backup for Fernandinho for starters).
I'm not convinced either but mostly because I haven't watched Sancho enough to form a reasonable opinion. Sane looks terrific but some guys on here seem to rate Sancho's talent above Sane's (as they compare the former to Mbappe...). For what is worth I think Sane would probably look incredible in the Bundelsiga right now. The question was about their ceiling though, not their current level.

Morpheus 7

He is likely to leave Dortmund but not for 75m. You know Dortmund sold Demebele for much more than 75m, right?
Yeah and you know there was a lot more interest for him right. Neymar money was a huge factor and Barca massively overpaid because they were desperate. The demand right now isn't the same for Sancho. Every club in Europe want mbappe but it's not the same for Sancho at the moment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You wouldn't dare bench a young player in spite, as let's be honest Dortmund now have the reputation of being great for young players. You're singing the best young talent because they want to play football and develop quickly.

People like Dembele/Sancho won't join you again if you start blocking potential big money moves. The club aren't rich enough to do that either.

I'm not sure Sancho will move this summer, you'll want maybe 1 more year, but if United come in with 80m+ for him, I'd be very surprised if you said no.

Yeah and you know there was a lot more interest for him right. Neymar money was a huge factor and Barca massively overpaid because they were desperate. The demand right now isn't the same for Sancho. Every club in Europe want mbappe but it's not the same for Sancho at the moment.
That's not true either, every club will want Sancho now. He's just as hot as Dembele was.

Treble

The market hasn't gone backwards though, there are no signs of it. If Sancho is an exceptional talent, only an exceptional offer would do the job. Think this is perfectly clear. Dortmund aren't stupid, mate. They are not desperate to sell him this summer nor are they daft to sell him on the cheap. And 75m is utterly cheap for an exceptional talent in this market.

Status
Not open for further replies.