Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

If you exclude the Neymar saga, the top-end transfers for a top player like Frankie De Jong costs £70-80m.
But Frenkie De Jong is not a top player.
He's a prospect in the 11th best league in Europe who is far from being actually proven.

Charles Miller

People should stop using the supposed low level of a league to question the potential of players, because when you list the actual world class players in the world, the vast majority are from european leagues that you call "farmer leagues" or from South America and not from Spain or England(the tough leagues).

You can recognize the best talents no matter where they are playing.

Devil may care

Only saw the last 15 minutes of the game, nice piece of play from him in Dortmund's goal and I think this idea he's regressed is wide of the mark, Dortmund shouldn't be relying so heavily on him but they are in Reus abscence.

quackattack

Only saw the last 15 minutes of the game, nice piece of play from him in Dortmund's goal and I think this idea he's regressed is wide of the mark, Dortmund shouldn't be relying so heavily on him but they are in Reus abscence.
But Reus played the majority of the game.

You can recognize the best talents no matter where they are playing.
Yeah. Who would have known that Zlatan (and the likes of Robben for that matter) played in The Netherlands. Schmeichel played in Denmark, Lewandowski in Poland and an old striker that we all know, who scored the winner of a well known Champions league final came straight from Molde in Norway. And that's to mention only a few.

Devil may care

But Reus played the majority of the game.
Hasn't he been injured recently though? I recall in the CL game vs Spurs he was out and they were relying heavily on two teenage wingers and Gotze. I'm just saying he's contributing regularly but there's a lot being asked of him in this Dortmund team right now to almost be the main man at 18.

quackattack

Hasn't he been injured recently though? I recall in the CL game vs Spurs he was out and they were relying heavily on two teenage wingers and Gotze. I'm just saying he's contributing regularly but there's a lot being asked of him in this Dortmund team right now to almost be the main man at 18.
Yeah, he was taken off after about 66 minutes, and yes he was injured. As the situation is currently (and has been for a while in Dortmund) they rely on the youngsters to carry them. Especially this game where the likes of Delaney and Witsel didn't step up. As much as I like "young teams", this was a bit too much with a very low average age (and experiance at this level). Undeniable talent, but some times you need more than that too.

NYAS

Living in 2016, he's a prospect playing in a shite league. It's far from ridiculous that we could get him for that money. He's proven absolutely nothing and the premier league is a step up.
So arguably the 3rd best league in the world is a shite league. No wonder you think he’d go for £75m.

Want to make a bet? Assuming Dortmund sell him this summer or next; if he goes for under £100m, I donate £25 to the Caf or a charity of your choice. Over £100m, you do. Interested?

quackattack

So arguably the 3rd best league in the world is a shite league. No wonder you think he’d go for £75m.

Want to make a bet? Assuming Dortmund sell him this summer or next; if he goes for under £100m, I donate £25 to the Caf or a charity of your choice. Over £100m, you do. Interested?
If he agrees you probably should specify with or without addons (the straight up sum or not).

beingshe7don

Jadon Sancho won't come cheap and since we have other gaping holes to fix.... I don't see him coming here... atleast not this summer.

tieunhilang

Jadon Sancho won't come cheap and since we have other gaping holes to fix.... I don't see him coming here... atleast not this summer.
What's "other gaping hole" you are talking about? Right wing is the exact gaping hole we need to fix this summer! :confused:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It's literally our biggest hole

AgentP

It's literally our biggest hole
Yep. Our left side is vastly superior to our right. Martial, Shaw and Pogba vs. Lingard, Herrera and Young. We need a top RW to balance things out and hope that Dalot can take over from Young next season.

Treble

Watched him last night. If 100m is the price, it would be mostly about potential and ceiling, not his current level. But that's a very rough estimate based on watching him in several games. Think he wouldn't be an instant hit in the PL just yet. The game against Spurs might convince me otherwise though.

Smartkambi

i hope we get Sancho but i always have hada feeling that if the coaches trusted Pereira a lil bit more in the RW position he would be really good there but he hasnt't really had a chance to play there

jamesjimmybyrondean

Anyone have any idea how Sancho performed in the youth academy?

Greenwood is doing so well for us and if he brings in that quality to the first team there would be zero need for Sancho.

Best to wait to see how Greenwood performs in the first team rather then spend a lot of money on Sancho which might even hinder Greenwood's chances

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I could have seen Ole go for Maguire or Fred. Young-ish players with a point to prove which is what I think he will go for, which is much better strategy than Mourinho. Overall you'd expect most players to be targeted will cost around £50m, no one we have been linked with really will cost much less than that other than maybe Wan-Bissaka.
Barcelona got lenglet for a reasonable fee. Same with Arthur. Madrid got the Vinicius for 40 right? And look how good he is. Essentially let's get our money's worth. The likes McGuire and Free for 50-70 million is poor business. There's a difference between a player on the rise like Mane and Depay for example and that's the managers job to get right.

Hopefully Ole does

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Barcelona got lenglet for a reasonable fee. Same with Arthur. Madrid got the Vinicius for 40 right? And look how good he is. Essentially let's get our money's worth. The likes McGuire and Free for 50-70 million is poor business. There's a difference between a player on the rise like Mane and Depay for example and that's the managers job to get right.

Hopefully Ole does
Even in the examples you have given the players were signed for a figure not far from £50m and there were mitigating factors - Lenglet was signed on a release clause while Arthur and Vinicius were signed directly from Brazil. The latter was a £40m signing at 17 so couldn’t even join Madrid directly.

Agree it’s all about getting our moneys worth but like you said mostly won’t know that until a player joins and it’s easier said than done. Fred if joined in a less volatile situation might have been worth the outlay he was.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
If you was Sancho would you see a need to rush back now?

He may as well have 1 more season playing in a system he obviously thrives in, before taking the risk of stepping up to the top tier. Where that will be is a different question altogether though. Real Madrid could be looking for a replacement for Bale, Juventus don't have anyone of his mould, United are crying out for a RW, so he'll have his options wide open

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Anyone have any idea how Sancho performed in the youth academy?
Not necessarely much better than others players who have failed to perform at the pro level or who don't even get to play with their 1st team yet.
He was always more of a flair player than others and a top class talent
But we're not speaking of a generational talent from day 1 kind of player, he was often benched for CHO and Pep let him go even though he knew he was talented (Same Pep who wasn't afraid to play a 17 year old Bojan)

Greenwood is doing so well for us and if he brings in that quality to the first team there would be zero need for Sancho.
It's hard to call because they're not even remotely the same kind of players., an example I'd use is Fiete-Arp. He was always one of the top goalscorers in these Euro/WC U17 tournaments yet he wasn't even good in 2. Bundesliga.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
People have a warped expectations on figures, just because PSG spent £200m on Neymar and £160m on Mbappe doesn't mean that's the norm. For all other clubs outside of City, clubs have to spend using their actual own revenue and can't throw out lavish sums using oil wealth.

Coutinho and Dembele only went for high figures due to the Neymar money Barca recieved.

If you exclude the Neymar saga, the top-end transfers for a top player like Frankie De Jong costs £70-80m. Sancho's young and has high potential, so you can say he'll go at a premium, which will put him at around £100m (higher than a Pogba 2 and a half years ago).

People expecting £150m bids are crazy, very few clubs have spent that in a single summer on multiple players ever, to expect it to go on one player is ludicrous. True Dortmund don't have to sell, but there isn't a cue of clubs waiting to bid £100m+ either. Madrid have been reluctant to spend big on Hazard who's ahead of Sancho because they want to wait and get him at sub £100m. Barca, City, PSG and Liverpool don't need him. Who does that leave? Chelsea if they sell Hazard? Madrid if they don't go for Hazard? The most realistic situation is that a club bids £80m - £100m, and one of two things will happen 1) Sancho will force a move for the far higher salary he'll get in the PL vs what he'd get for Dortmund, or 2) Dortmund reject it and Sancho's content to continue progressing in the Bunedsliga.
Some good points but I disagree that the market will deflate.

Dembele, Coutinho and Mbappe. All over £140m.

The precedent is set and you will not see many top players move for less than £100m.

There is a real shortage of top talent that is attainable and a lot of clubs in need of it.

Also, in the age of social media true superstars are worth more than ever to their clubs. As Mourinho said, Neymar was "cheap" given his profile and talent. It's the average players getting quoted at £50m that he said are expensive.

I think that the idea Sancho will move for less than £100m is absolutely hilarious.

He will cost at least as much as Dembele and clearly looks worth it given the potential upside.

I think we will move for him in the summer as it would be madness not to. Absolute madness.

I think scenario 1 will happen and we will try his head this summer. The money alone would make it impossible to turn down and that's before you factor he gets to go home and play for the biggest club in his league.

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I think that the idea Sancho will move for less than £100m is absolutely hilarious.

He will cost at least as much as Dembele and clearly looks worth it given the potential upside.
I mean that's only true if he moves on a high as in this season.
If he stays one more year and produces mediocre performances his value will go down massively and he could move for less than 100M.

Just look at Leon Bailey last year, 70/80M rumors and nowadays he's barely worth half that amount.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I mean that's only true if he moves on a high as in this season.
If he stays one more year and produces mediocre performances his value will go down massively and he could move for less than 100M.

Just look at Leon Bailey last year, 70/80M rumors and nowadays he's barely worth half that amount.
Or he could stay one more year, do just as well (or look even better), go to the Euro's and shine there, and his price goes up further.

NYAS

If our only competition is PSG according to that article then get ready lads, he’s coming home.

Phil Osophy

It makes perfect sense to do an effort here. If we sign Sancho and manage to keep him in the future there's a player for a whole generation, and nobody will look back at the fee with regrets. Obviously there has to be a limit at some point, but I perfectly understand to get a bit crazy this summer and try to bring the kid with us. He's exactly the kind of player we need, incredible potential, no adapting barriers at all, etc. Can't wait for it to happen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If our only competition is PSG according to that article then get ready lads, he’s coming home.
The biggest competition is him staying at Dortmund this summer IMO. If he leaves, we're the only option pretty much that makes sense in every department.

NYAS

The biggest competition is him staying at Dortmund this summer IMO. If he leaves, we're the only option pretty much that makes sense in every department.
He’ll probably stay this summer but I meant more whenever he leaves. Still worried about Chelsea, Real and Barca next summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He’ll probably stay this summer but I meant more whenever he leaves. Still worried about Chelsea, Real and Barca next summer.
Chelsea just signed pulisic and theres been a pretty big trend of Abramovich not crazy spending anymore (and they're looking very fragile long term compared to the other top 6). Not too worried about them. Barca more so than Real Madrid, but there has been a decent amount of talk of him wanting to go to the premier league so him being English helps us loads in that department. I'd say we're overwhelming favourites because both City and Liverpool have years left in their wide players while we can outspend anyone and have the automatic spot for him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is this Kajumba guy reliable?
First time I see his name come up. Had a look and he seems to cover the London clubs, but doesn't do a lot of transfers news. Would be surprised if a London based journalist beats the Manchester based ones to a story like this, unless it's coming from Sancho's side, which could be possible considering he interviewed him recently. Best to assume he's unreliable though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well he interviewed Sancho 2 weeks ago.
Kajumba has a poor record from my recollection. Sancho has also given many interviews since his star has started to shine in the Bundesliga. If there was anything to the story, then I would've expected David McDonnel who is the Manchester correspondent to break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.