Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

The question is do we want to catch up? As in our owners. I don't think so.

Also our fans let them off too easy. Every summer there is an excuse for not doing enough business
That is a very good question, and as you said we as fans let them off very easily. They need to show that we mean business and Woodward needs to deliver.

Kostov

Agreed, Lindelof is our RCB. Koulibaly compliments him well.

Haven’t seen us being linked with De Ligt at all.
I think de Ligt is too big of a talent to pass on regardless of where Lindelof plays or what compliments him. And not like it is that big of a deal when you see that Lindelof has done reasonably well on the left as well.

ROFLUTION

I think we'll definitely cross 200 million. By all accounts we underspend last season due to issues behind the scenes otherwise another 60-70 million (minimum) would have been spent had the management agreed on the 'right'. So if 140/150 is a standard window now for us, I see us spending over 200 this summer.

Of course much depends on Ole, how close he feels we are, how much he wants to promote/rely on youth, and whether he's able to/wants to get rid of underperforming players.
We basically only spent 42m (taking expenditures into the picture for this season (Fellaini, Blind, Johnstone) last year.. So yeah either:
- We're saving up for a big transfer-window
- Glazers are not into spending big

Around 200m sounds plausible, considering a new manager usually already gets to spend something to build a project. But 300m seems a bit excessive, considering there probably wont be a lot of expenditures. Rojo, Darmian the most likely ones - probably their fees will just about cover the sacking of Mou of 20m.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Would love Sancho, de ligt/koulibaly and a quality CM.

I don't understand why people want Wan Bissaka when we have 2 young right backs already

ROFLUTION

I think we might as well need to, in order to catch up with the likes of Barcelona, City and PSG.
I don't disagree. I'm just a bit influenced by the overall lack of spending considering our massive commercial income, when you consider the big picture of how little our owners have spent. We're not that far off having spent half of what City have - it clearly shows in the difference in material too. In this contrast, for what it's worth, I'd be happy if we just spent just 200m - 100 on Sancho and 100m on De Ligt. Think long-term and then spent some more next summer to improve our wing-backs. Quality > Quantity.

Judas

Open to offers
Think he means Laird mate...
Yeah probably :lol: personally for me you can’t count a lad who hasn’t played a single second of first team football as a reason not to upgrade an area that is laughably weak and desperately needing an upgrade.

If he’s good enough, he’ll break into the team anyway, 9 times out of 10 that’s how it works.

Tiber

I do struggle to see this getting done, but would love to see it happen.

This is exactly why Ole should be appointed asap. End the charade and get started on transfers right away

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Keep this thread to Sancho only. Not every thread has to turn into a discussion about other positions and/or financial strength.

VanGaalEra

Offtopic but, people go way to far with this LCB, RCB stuff. If you have a left footed CB that is a great play him as the LCB but, if you have two right footed CBs or two left footed CBs it will not matter much who plays on which side.
I feel Lindelof is more comfortable as the RCB, I feel like his ball playing abilities become limited when he’s on the other side.

Trizy

Hope he signs, I know his dads best mate. Said he’d get me all the tickets I want :devil:
Wow wow wow... reverse here a minute. Was he passing a subliminal message that he's signing or was he just bantering with the idea that'd he'd love him here too?

JJ12

Is Sancho a City fan or are we not that far into his personal life. Every transfer season we find out that our targets support X team :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I do struggle to see this getting done, but would love to see it happen.

This is exactly why Ole should be appointed asap. End the charade and get started on transfers right away
Why is that? We have the money, we need a player in that position? what gives you doubts apart from him possibly going to PSG.

I don't think a young English player would ever pick PSG first over the premier league.

Is Sancho a City fan or are we not that far into his personal life. Every transfer season we find out that our targets support X team :lol:
He supported Chelsea as a boy, but we know that doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme. Plenty of players have supported rival teams when younger.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Chelsea fan but shouldn't matter.

Trizy

He was only at City for less than 2 years. He's from Peckham so if I'd to guess, given his age of 18 he is probably a Chelsea or Arsenal fan.

Brightonian

I'd suggest we're favourites in that battle if we qualify for the CL. Home country, a city where he has lived (albeit not where he grew up), a team with upward momentum in a much-broadcast positive moment, a clear space for him in his best position in the first XI, as part of a vibrant young attacking unit.

PSG can pay him silly money, but we're hardly stingy with our wages. They're the better team at the moment but they play in a weak league and don't have the same history and status in the game that we do. Meanwhile he'd be competing with extremely strong established stars on the right wing, including the best young forward in the world.

We have to be able to offer CL football though.

Brightonian

I don't disagree. I'm just a bit influenced by the overall lack of spending considering our massive commercial income, when you consider the big picture of how little our owners have spent. We're not that far off having spent half of what City have - it clearly shows in the difference in material too. In this contrast, for what it's worth, I'd be happy if we just spent just 200m - 100 on Sancho and 100m on De Ligt. Think long-term and then spent some more next summer to improve our wing-backs. Quality > Quantity.
Agree with that. Obviously we also could use a DM to compete with/replace Matic, and a new RB. But it's worth waiting for those things in order to add top-drawer quality like that which will probably not be available next summer. Plus it actually hurts the team to try and integrate too many new players in one summer, which is something we've seen a few times since Fergie left.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Him being English is a big factor why we should be able to beat PSG in any chase.

I've long thought that we'd be interested in him this season or be quite advanced in negotiations with him just due to the fact that City felt compelled to put in an anti Utd clause in the Brahmin Diaz contract.

VanGaalEra

Wow wow wow... reverse here a minute. Was he passing a subliminal message that he's signing or was he just bantering with the idea that'd he'd love him here too?
Nothing concrete mate, just United want him and they've had some contact with Ed. But that's not exactly surprising, my response was everyone probably wants him.

United Pro

I'd suggest we're favourites in that battle if we qualify for the CL. Home country, a city where he has lived (albeit not where he grew up), a team with upward momentum in a much-broadcast positive moment, a clear space for him in his best position in the first XI, as part of a vibrant young attacking unit.

PSG can pay him silly money, but we're hardly stingy with our wages. They're the better team at the moment but they play in a weak league and don't have the same history and status in the game that we do. Meanwhile he'd be competing with extremely strong established stars on the right wing, including the best young forward in the world.

We have to be able to offer CL football though.
Plus he's fairly close to Lingard and Rashford. I think if Dortmund do decide on selling, we've got a pretty good chance.

Needham

Dribbling in the Bunderamasleague is so much easier than dribbling in the Premier League.

PlayerOne

I would love Sancho here and I'm not doubting his ability, but the fee we will have to pay for him puts a lot of pressure for him to deliver right away and that might not be case considering his age. He might need more time under less pressure to develop and grow, something he won't get here, especially if we're going for the title next season. The expectations seem to very, very high.

In Rainbows

Agree with that. Obviously we also could use a DM to compete with/replace Matic, and a new RB. But it's worth waiting for those things in order to add top-drawer quality like that which will probably not be available next summer. Plus it actually hurts the team to try and integrate too many new players in one summer, which is something we've seen a few times since Fergie left.
Yep. Right now we should be looking to dominate in 2021. Not that we can't challenge next season (especially with those 2 signings), but just that we have such a young nucleus of talents that buying Sancho and de Ligt sets us up for 2021 and beyond. Our younger talents will be in their prime or nearing their prime. Our youth talent will be at an age where they can start contributing. I think Barca and PSG would be the only other clubs who are as set up for the future as United if we get those 2. Probably we'd be #1 in young talent.

Dribbling in the Bunderamasleague is so much easier than dribbling in the Premier League.
Just look at his technical ability. It's top class. I don't think you should be worrying about that especially if he gets older which leads to an uptick in physical ability.

Kostov

Yes you are right considering how much more they've shelled out.

And I agree with that, quality over quantity every time for me as well. But we should be able to splash 300m in one summer when we need to catch up to our rivals. The money is there but we are yet to see it.

Kostov

I agree, but with Scott being given more game time nad the sheer amount those two would cost to get in, I very much doubt we would be able to get a DM as well.
It shouldn't be that way. That player is needed and the club has produced it's money, Ed should reinvest it when we need to catch up. 300m this summer, and we patch 3-4 glaring holes in our team, we are set to go.

JJ12

Is he being slightly overrated here given how perfect the situation is.

Given that he's 18, English and playing in the position we need most - it's a no brainer if the talent is really there.

I haven't seen enough of him to know either way but is he worth the £100m being discussed?

stygg

Just like with Rooney back in 2004 we should break the fecking bank for this kid. He's clearly the real deal and alongside Rashford the future of English football.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Jadon, Jaden, Jordan, what's the difference anyway... just fecking sign him.
Offer 100m.

Adam-Utd

Given that he's 18, English and playing in the position we need most - it's a no brainer if the talent is really there.

I haven't seen enough of him to know either way but is he worth the £100m being discussed?
We're obviously paying for potential + over paying a bit to make Dortmund happy to sell. Will it be worth it? Yes. The kid is clearly class and being a star in a top Bundesliga club at his age is no small feat. He's keeping players like Pulisic out the team.

Liverpool overpaid for Van Dijk but he looks worth every penny now. Chelsea paid more for Hazard and they've had some great years.

We need to not worry about what he costs, let's just get the player if we can afford him and it doesn't ruin the rest of the budget.

JJ12

Looking forward to watching him tonight

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It shouldn't be that way. That player is needed and the club has produced it's money, Ed should reinvest it when we need to catch up. 300m this summer, and we patch 3-4 glaring holes in our team, we are set to go.
I totally get the logic behind it, just in practice, we've never spent over 200m - gross. I can't see us smashing that record by 100m.

Trizy

Nothing concrete mate, just United want him and they've had some contact with Ed. But that's not exactly surprising, my response was everyone probably wants him.
Ole has name dropped him 2 or 3 times, its on! Keep us update mate :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

So is Sancho pals with Rashford and Lingard?

If he is that might be a nice little incentive to come here.

I can't pretend to be an expert on him but from what I've seen he looks very promising. An attacking lineup of Martial Sancho Rashford and Pogba next season would be filth.

deadrevelz

Probably some overrating going on. He doesn't have a huge amount of first team experience, but he would instantly improve our right side due to our situation and has the potential to become world class. Only time will tell but all transfers are risks.

deadrevelz

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...time-will-come-now-joining-manchester-united/

"Sancho should stay at Dortmund, not move to England." Written in response to the Telegraphs story linking Sancho to United / PSG. His reasoning is that Top 6 sides are terrible for English talents. His 'evidence' is that English players, especially youngsters are increasingly being ignored and this trend will continue if Sancho returns. Also high manager turnover means young players miss out in favour of quick fix options. Says Fergie / Pogba is example of managers not trusting youngsters. Says Martial is an example of a player who has spent most of his time here "on the periphery".

One of the worst articles I've ever seen...

1) He was linked to UNITED, not the other top 6, who are therefore irrelevant
2) We have 5 English players in our starting 11 when everyone is fit. Young, Smalling, Shaw, Lingard, Rashford
3) We have lots of academy players in our squad like we always have.
4) We have a history of buying young players, giving them LOTS of chances: Smalling, Jones, Rafael, Anderson, Rooney, Martial etc
5) We have a manager who seems certain to be appointed who fully believes in this philosophy
6) We have no right sided attacker, so unless Sancho bombs, he will start most games
7) If Pogba / his agent hadn't kicked up a fuss, he would have got games that season clearly.
8) Martial has played loads of games with us, and that has only increased under Ole.

Just utter nonsense. The irony is there are good reasons for Sancho to stay with Dortmund, but he was unable to find any. Less pressure, less physically demanding, can probably choose any club next season...

Reactions: Ødegaard

Suv666

The price being quoted are insane but unfortunately this seems to be the new norm now. I feel though Bvb would ask for more, given how much they got for Dembele.
If he comes I hope the media and fans are patient with him and dont expect an instant impact.

vodrake

Probably not worth it yet.

However, the current state of the market leans towards massively overpaying for young players with potential, because if they do reach their potential somewhere else they'd already be completely unaffordable otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.