Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Either they are escalating their posturing or they have actually made up their mind. I guess the 120m is no longer the fee we would have to pay.
They will look like absolute cnuts if they sell him now. This is done . Woody and his clowns have fecked this up royally.

Rolaholic

It's always felt like a performative show of strength on Dortmunds end along with Zorc running his mouth near daily so I wouldn't be surprised if it was never actually verbalized to the club directly.

Makes no sense at all setting an arbitrary deadline little over a week into the window when one side's season hasn't even finished yet

theklr

They will look like absolute cnuts if they sell him now. This is done . Woody and his clowns have fecked this up royally.
The precisly same thing happened with Auba and Dembele on their part, and Maguire and Bruno on our part.

Its 100% done.

Dortmund just need to get an replacement first and/or we need to finish EL.

Rolaholic

Hard to look like total cnuts with 100m pounds in the bank honestly :lol: . They've gone back on their word enough times in the past, even getting called out by players in the process, before when copious sums of money were involved so I think they would recover the same now

El Zoido

It's always felt like a performative show of strength on Dortmunds end along with Zorc running his mouth near daily so I wouldn't be surprised if it was never actually verbalized to the club directly.

Makes no sense at all setting an arbitrary deadline little over a week into the window when one side's season hasn't even finished yet
It’s quite embarrassing how much they enjoy their status of being a selling club. If you looked closely you could see Zorc has a chub on when speaking to the media yesterday.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I can't see Dortmund playing with their fans like this with Zorc and Witsel's quotes. It's either transfer request or nothing - and I can't see him doing the former.

We move on.
If anything is going on here, I believe his squadmates like Witsel are being played as well. Not likely they have detailed knowledge about the state of transfer affairs apart from their own, so the smarter choice would always be not to comment on those dealings.
Right now I hope for everyone at Dortmund that Sancho really stays, or they will all look like a bunch of jokers (again).

SuperiorXI

There seems to be a slagging match going on via the media between the two clubs. I wish they just banged their heads together and sat down in a room and fleshed it out in a few hours.

SATA

Well apparently the two clubs never directly communicated together in dialogue. Did the intermediary not informed United about this? It was allegedly all over the papers

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
We do need to do something to change the formula. If this transfer doesn't happen and then in a season's time the player moves on to a club like Real Madrid or even a closer rival, we will have to ask why.

The club is improving and we have some talented players within the squad. There is an opportunity to actually do something and now is the time to be making those positive changes. If a Director of Football is what it takes to move the club to the next level, then that's what needs to be done. We can't just rely on reputation alone and think that eventually we can fluke our way to a title win...the dice doesn't always roll that way.

It's a huge statement if we can get this signing done. The difference is when I know that a club like Real Madrid or Bayern Munich are after a player, the deal usually gets done. We seem to get linked to a lot of players, which is normal I guess for a club of this size. With this deal however, it looks like there is a possibility of it being achievable, so we either commit and really go for it, or we look elsewhere.
Issue can be to do with personnel, business acumen, intelligence. In my opinion, Woody is of the opinion that he is a GOAT in all these departments, plus a God of football knowledge. Even if you get a DOF in that situation, Woody and his Gargantuan Ego will still stand in the way of progress. All we can hope for while he is in the job is blind luck and that he occasionally listens to advice

Rolaholic

If players like Lionel fecking Messi and Suarez, Pique can get absolutely blindsided by a transfer after public comments over having Neymar stay, I doubt comments from Axel Witsel or Mats Hummels would prevent a damn thing honestly

RkkMan

What makes me lean towards he is not comming this year, is the dortmund players speaking about how happy they are he is staying this season.
Seems strange that they would say anything at all.
Remember Neymar and Pique`s "Se Queda" moment when it looked like a move to PSG was off??
Anything can happen in football

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
The key in transfers is the player, if he wants to leave then it’s a wrap. Other than a few reports that people have plucked from thin air saying otherwise, it seems Sancho is content with staying another year.

Dortmund are chilling, they’ll either get a huge payment and reinvest very shrewdly or get to keep one the best young talents in the game a little longer. The onus is on United, cough up the fee and he’s a Manchester United player.

Skåre Willoch

What makes me lean towards he is not comming this year, is the dortmund players speaking about how happy they are he is staying this season.
Pique did the same with Neymar. The club would never brief the players about stuff like this. The leaks would be everywhere in no time.

It's not as if the club is saying to the players: "Sssshhh guys, of course we're selling him if they pay what we ask. Now go out and pretend you're happy."

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Right now I hope for everyone at Dortmund that Sancho really stays, or they will all look like a bunch of jokers.
A bunch of jokers with 120m more in their pockets. They can take a bit of media laughter for couple of days at that rate.

SATA

They are asked a question about Sancho and they answered it. Don't think they will know anything really

AfroBuffalo

Sorry guys. I thought he had a release clause that kicked in next summer. He doesn’t, my bad.

Withnail

Could they really say something like that right now? Imagine the kind of field day the press would have if they first get briefed that United believe that this deadline is artifical and they are calling the bluff and then it just so happens they get a "we didn't want him anyway" brief the moment the deadline passed?

They can brief whatever they want because they never officially said anything in the first place. Second thoughts, moved on to other targets, price unreasonable in the current climate blah blah blah.

They would definitely say something though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A bunch of jokers with 120m more in their pockets. They can take a bit of media laughter for couple of days at that rate.
Yeah, it's a clear party line to get the money they want. If he goes they'll likely have got exactly what they planned to do. They may end up looking silly if he doesn't move, because if we're not willing to pay that much for him, I don't think there's a team that would.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
What i'm wondering about is whether this contract extension last year was done via an option for the club to extend the contract only if he's still with Dortmund on August 10, 2020?
Or it was extended then and they promised him he could leave this year if the transfer happens before their first training camp.
That would explain the deadline.
From my view on the way Dortmund tries to operate, i'm pretty sure that it's no posturing and that United's negotiation team seriously underestimated them (Briefing that the deadline is artificial...feeling that they have to sell for financial reasons...).
Hope i'm wrong, of course.

patty123

And what did you expect them to answer when asked, err no he is really unhappy and wants out of here asap, so utd stick to you're guns and you'll get him on the cheap.

laughtersassassin

What i'm wondering about is whether this contract extension last year was done via an option for the club to extend the contract only if he's still with Dortmund on August 10, 2020?
Or it was extended then and they promised him he could leave this year if the transfer happens before their first training camp.
That would explain the deadline.
From my view on the way Dortmund tries to operate, i'm pretty sure that it's no posturing and that United's negotiation team seriously underestimated them (Briefing that the deadline is artificial...feeling that they have to sell for financial reasons...).
Hope i'm wrong, of course.
There is no deadline. This night not get done but this deadline is a joke. It simply bisnt real

Withnail

I'm sure some on here claimed he was and thats why his tweets were on here
He's not an ITK in that sense that he's not on twitter spouting off about transfers in general, looking for followers.

He's a reputable football journalist who reports on United and writes books.

If he hears something about a transfer, which is rare, he'll tweet about it. For him to tweet about Sancho he must have been confident the info he was given was accurate at the time.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Im beginning to think this impasse is that Manchester United do not have the cashflow to meet Dortmund's demands. So unless Dortmund compromise, there can be no deal. Dortmund think we are bluffing, so using brinksmanship to force us into a move.

Sancho himself will also have to compromise with his wage demands.

There is a long way to go before this transfer can happen.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Screw Dortmund. At some point Sancho is gonna want to leave anyways because if he continues to play and develop the way he does, he’s gonna have bigger ambitions. At that point, we’re either good enough to fit those or not. Either way, our negotiating position is gonna be stronger.

At the same time, Dortmund is gonna receive less for him because their negotiating position is gonna be weaker as his contract runs down and his desire to leave increases.

That‘s when we return to try and sign him.

If that consequence is worth keeping Sancho for, I‘m not sure from their point of view.

Mihai

The timing is really strange though.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Im beginning to think this impasse is that Manchester United do not have the cashflow to meet Dortmund's demands. So unless Dortmund compromise, there can be no deal. Dortmund think we are bluffing, so using brinksmanship to force us into a move.

Given our recent willingness to pay over the odds to get our man, this has to be considered a very realistic issue.

The way this saga so far has been going, I can easily see this being a question of capability, not willingness.

mav_9me

Honestly, if I were a shareholder of Dortmund and they would sell Sancho for 80m now although he's got a contract until 2023, that would have me thinking about suing the club. Such a deal would be so ridiculously bad from an economic perspective that it has to be shady.

It makes absolutely zero sense for Dortmund to sell Sancho now unless they receive the asking price. If not, they can wait another year, profit from having a world class talent in their team and still make more from him. 120m is already a very low price tag compared to the likes of Dembele or Joao Felix. Sancho is better than both and he's British and players of that nationality are generally worth more due to the EPL rules.

Would be great. But we have to be willing to pay up.

I actually don't see why Dortmund should be lowering their demands. He has been absurdly good for them and has tore up the Bundesliga
Completely agree. With 2 yrs left as previously thought I was happy with us haggling. But with 3 yrs, only way to get price down is Sancho to agitate. Which is fine if he doesn't want to, in which case we should just pay the 120m and get it done. I feel that's a reasonable price anyway.

Also @Zehner it's not worth the time arguing with posters who think Dortmund should sell him to us at 80m or whatever, or are mad at Dortmund for not selling. Your time, you can do whatever you want but it could be spent on more constructive things imo.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I

Increases the chances of beating the number of pages record I suppose.

Withnail

It literally goes to show, however good these journalists are, they speculate alot as well.

Everyone knows we are in for Sancho, almost every football fan knows this so a journalist coming out saying "United are in talks" or "Talks continue" does not mean they know something we dont.

Romano keeps saying personal terms are agreed, so wouldnt Manutd know if his contract expires in 2023?

United stand have been putting out Romano's words as gospel. Romano said it is done so it's done. I think this deal will run and run until the fans tire.
As I was saying to someone else Daniel Harris rarely ever tweets about transfers so he must have been fairly confident about his source on this one.

I don't know about Romano but he never mentioned the current contract one way or the other, did he? He was saying the clubs are in negotiations and it seems fairly obvious that they are.

Why do we think the United didn't know when Sancho's current contract ends?

bsCallout

A company valued at billions of dollars is not going to account for their finances that simply. We need to account for potential reduction in sponsorship revenue due to covid, reduction in matchgoing revenue, reduction in tv coverage etc and the long term implications these things could have. It's not as easy as just using money we probably can't justify because we may or may not get 10 years of good service out of him.

In regards to your first point; my apologies, I was under the impression you were referring to the start of our season.
And the 10 years part is fantaisist. Sancho isn't signing a 10 year contracts and even if he did only the first 5 years would actually be enforceable. The club will only consider 5 years, anything beyond that is entirely on the player.
We've made X amount just from getting CL. We'll make X amount based on where we finish in EL. We've saved an obscene amount on Sanchez wages. Sanchos shirt sales would be incredible.
The Sancho deal puts us in a better position for our new sponsorship deal too.

Why would there be a reduction in TV coverage if there is less/no match attendance. The opposite would happen.

Getting Sancho increases our odds of another CL spot next year which again makes us X amount. Same year on year.

Sancho makes that money back for United ten fold.

Even if we have him for 5 years he's then still being sold before his peak. Which you recoup money on. So its not fantaisist. You don't lose that value.

You ignored my other point so I assume you concede that their season start isnt relevent to EL final being our prompt to bid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.