James Ducker: United prepared to listen to offers for Smalling

Lentwood

I am a little dubious about whether Keane is an upgrade on Smalling but I am of the opinion that Smalling's time at Utd should probably come to an end this summer

On his day, he is an absolute beast of a defender but unfortunately more often than not his lack of positional sense and terrible, terrible footballing ability inspire nerves in the rest of the back four and the midfield

rocks13

Smalling has been the only one of our defenders that has regressed under Jose. Rojo, Jones, Valencia, Darmian have all improved this season. Smalling has gone backwards, he looks like he's got a big mistake in him every time he plays.
That's fair enough but every other post seems to be someone who wants rid of Jones as well. Seems odd that while our problem has been scoring goals that people are keen to see such as overhaul of our centre-back options.

Ole90+3

I think Smalling has lost a lot of confidence this season, possibly from being called out Mourinho after the Chelsea game. The tweet from Ducker about his positioning is interesting as I've notice him staying half a yard deeper than the rest of the back line in several occasions recently. It can be very detrimental at times if playing attackers onside.

It's a shame that Jones is so injury prone as I'd be more than happy for him to stay and be a squad player, fighting for his first team spot. I think he is a very talented defender, but it's got to be time to cut our ties with Jones; he's just so unreliable.

As for Smalling, he has really regressed this season and at times can look panicked on the ball or lose his man, but I think the stick he gets on here for the large part is unjustified and overly harsh; scapegoatish almost. I wouldn't be against him staying another season, mainly because I wouldn't know who we could sign who'd come in an be a guaranteed upgrade.

The Juventus CBs won't be available, neither would Pepe, Ramos, Godin. The younger defenders that constantly have their names flung about as potential signings (Varane, Gimenez) aren't guaranteed to come in and be instant starters, and would most likely not be happy being squad players either.

Truth is, Smalling is as good a backup CB as you could really wish for at this moment. He seems happy enough waiting for his chance and filling in when the starting CBs are injured.

I'm happy going into next season with Bailly and Rojo as the starting CBs, with Smalling and new CB as backups. Then we have players like Tuanzebe and possibly TFM to increase the depth chart.

tl;dr It would be a mistake to sell Jones and Smalling.

Infra-red

That's fair enough but every other post seems to be someone who wants rid of Jones as well. Seems odd that while our problem has been scoring goals that people are keen to see such as overhaul of our centre-back options.
It's probably got something to do with them being perma-crocked liabilities. Perhaps once Mourinho has confidence in his left back and centre-backs, he'll be more willing to encourage expansive football.

Esquire

Still think he is better than Jones.
Why? I am equally lukewarm on both of them. But Jones seems the better technical player (and way better passer). About the same in terms of pure defending.

rocks13

It's probably got something to do with them being perma-crocked liabilities. Perhaps once Mourinho has confidence in his left back and centre-backs, he'll be more willing to encourage expansive football.
Ok. I thought from reading posts in here that we'd been playing really expansive football all season but simply weren't scoring goals due to our forwards missing chances. Didn't know that was due to our centre-backs. Or have I been mislead?

Infra-red

Ok. I thought from reading posts in here that we'd been playing really expansive football all season but simply weren't scoring goals due to our forwards missing chances. Didn't know that was due to our centre-backs. Or have I been mislead?
6 at the back in the big games probably has a fair bit to do with the (lack of) quality of our defensive options.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Reckon we can squeeze £20m out of Arsenal?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Why? I am equally lukewarm on both of them. But Jones seems the better technical player (and way better passer). About the same in terms of pure defending.
Agree.

In the recent games which have basically been a trial for the CB positions, Jones has shown much more desire to be at this club.

I don't think it matters too much about his injury record as he wouldn't be starting over Bailly and Rojo but we'd need good experienced cover. Tuanzebe is obviously going to be promoted but as Rojo is out until January we do need another CB. If Jose has faith in Keane and sees something he admires;I trust his judgement

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If I had to keep 1 between Jones and Smalling then I would go for Smalling. Jones may be slightly better as a defender but he's a crock. However I can understand Mou POV. You don't need a 28 year old CB who plays like an enthusiastic 18 year old. We might as well play the Tuanzebe kid. He's younger, faster and has the potential to become a top quality CB.

Dinghy

Smalling is not a big favourite of mine, but to sell him and replace him with -Keane- is crazy when you just know that we'll not gonna get more than £15mill for Smalling, while Keane will end up costing us over £30mill. And I'm still pretty sure Smalling is the better defender of the two.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Smalling is not a big favourite of mine, but to sell him and replace him with -Keane- is crazy when you just know that we'll not gonna get more than £15mill for Smalling, while Keane will end up costing us over £30mill. And I'm still pretty sure Smalling is the better defender of the two.
We got good money for Morgan and Depay, I'm optimistic that things have changed. Lets see.

davidmichael

To be honest I don't think there's any difference at all between Smalling and Jones other than Smalling isn't injured as much so I'd say listen to offers for both and whoever gets the biggest bid can be sold, Keane is as good if not a bit better than both and Tuanzebe has looked a beast whenever he's played.

If we go into next season with Keane, Bailly, Rojo, Tuanzebe and one of Smalling or Jones then I'd be happy with that as no coach/manager in the world knows defenders better than Jose does. Think people forget Keane only 23 years old and being moulded by Jose could make him a great centre back.

RedFish

We get 25% sell on fee. Effectively a 25 % discount therefore.

redsunited

Keane is an awful defender.
It is a like for like replacement with Smalling. Keane is better in the air than all our defenders. So replacing Smalling with a player who has similar best quality is not a bad choice. He is 3 years younger as well and a better passer than Smalling.

The fact that he is in last year of his contract is not to be missed considering English player premium in other situations. He is a United fan, has PL experience and it would help us in homegrown quota as well.

Lot of our homegrown players are on verge of leaving like Rooney, Young, Carrick, Smalling, Schneiderlin(left) and maybe Shaw(hopefully not) as well. If we don't manage this properly, we may end up like city going for Fabian Delph just to meet the numbers and backup.

PepsiCola

Prefer Jones to Smalling. Hopefully Jones can stay fit next season.

Rojo Bailly have been fantastic together this season. Would be my first pairing next season. Jones, Keane, Tuanzebe as cover.

Kaos

I really wish we'd stop fecking around with average English defenders.

Hardball Madrid to include Varane in the De Gea deal please.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Another error prone defender who can't stay fit?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Our defenders are already top notch barring the injury crisis every single season. Smalling or Jones will move to a team outside the top 4 and do an Evans on it. I.e. Stand out as classy player that should and could be playing for a top club.
I don't think Keane is better than smalling or Jones and we'd be selling either one for half the price of a Keane. Not very exciting I have to say. Next season is make or break for Jose though so I'm prepared to let him do whatever he thinks is right to get us back where we belong. Maybe fresh blood really is needed back there but it's not as urgent as midfield and attack.

rocks13

6 at the back in the big games probably has a fair bit to do with the (lack of) quality of our defensive options.
Or a manager who's naturally conservative in big games away from home.

Again though, you seem to be straying from the perceived wisdom found in the CAF. Our big away games weren't what defined our season, it was the inability to win home games against the likes of Hull, Stoke, West Brom, Burnley, Bouremouth, West Ham etc. Games in which we rarely conceded but missed lots of chances. I'm struggling to see how replacing Jones and Smalling with 2 new centre-backs would really influence these results. Unless you're planning to get Sergio Ramos who scores more than most of our forwards.

Adebesi

We dont necessarily need someone that much better than Jones or Smalling, though of course it would be nice. The real priority is to get someone at least that level who will be fit when needed.

Smudge

Think we will have to merge the Welbeck and Smalling Threads together and complain all season how we were somehow wrong to let them go to Arsenal

Minimalist

Jones and Smalling were always to be the two earmarked for an exit.

I just expected Jones to be the most likely. Smalling is fine as a squad player/back-up. He's just not good enough to be your main leader at the back.

Ole90+3

There's not that much between Varane and Smalling. Varane is similar in the fact he hasn't progressed as expected over the past 2 seasons.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Terrible decision.

I can see why, he hasn't had a great season - though I do think it's been over exaggerated.

I don't see the point in replacing him with Keane, unless Mourinho has an experienced CB ready to replace him, and we can give more minutes to Tuanzebe also.

Pace Abuser

I was a big fan of Smalling, but lately he just looks terrified out there. I think working under Jose and the strictures that come with that have mentally broken him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If there's one area where I have 100% faith in Mourinho, it's defence. If he thinks replacing Smalling with Keane is an upgrade then that's fine with me.

soapythecat

Smelling and Jones are both average players who have shown potential in stages but nothing consistent. We can't keep hoping that both will stay fit long enough to prove people like me wrong, because the past few seasons will show that just isn't the case.
If we really do want to improve and be consistent in the top 4 and start challenging again, these two need to be nowhere near the squad.