James Ducker: United prepared to listen to offers for Smalling

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The one thing I really like about Keane is his distribution from the back. Neither Smalling or Jones can seemingly play from the back. They're always looking to hoof it.

kundalini

They could have waited until after the final before briefing that Smalling was available for sale. We might need to use him.

As for the decision, I'd have kept the current set of defenders as our defensive record has been good this season. Having said that, I do have concerns about Smalling, especially since the rules changed to penalise holding at corners. His height is normally an asset and at times in the past he has looked a very good player, though his distribution is shocking.

In truth, I expected Smalling to become a better player than he has done so far. Whether Michael Keane will be an improvement, playing in our system, rather than Burnley's, seems debatable to me. Not a risk I'd take personally.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Good riddance. His best time here was when the team was playing defensive borefest possession dinosaur football yet it somehow was his GK putting in match-saving performances and racking up the POTY awards. No wonder the club has been on a downward spiral for so long when you look at the absolute state of the mediocrity that has been on the payroll over the past few years. Should be a worldwide flag day the day this lump is shipped to West Hooferbrum Albion.

Red_toad

Brilliant bit of news for a mentally fragile player to hear, just before he's likely to play in the biggest match for the club in many years.

Just brilliant. :rolleyes:
So players will fall to pieces over some newspaper speculation? Maybe your mentality need to be looked at as you're over reacting a tad.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Good riddance. His best time here was when the team was playing defensive borefest possession dinosaur football yet it somehow was his GK putting in match-saving performances and racking up the POTY awards. No wonder the club has been on a downward spiral for so long when you look at the absolute state of the mediocrity that has been on the payroll over the past few years. Should be a worldwide flag day the day this lump is shipped to West Hooferbrum Albion.
Absolute agreement on the above.

manc-in-exile

We should be in for Laporte from Bilbao or Gimenez from Ath. Madrid. I'd take Keane as well though as he is homegrown.

Sell both Jones and Smalling.

OohAahMartial

Mourinho moving from man marking to zonal hit Smalling the worst I think, his positional sense has not been up to it this season.
Agreed. Also think he just seems overly nervous, especially on the ball. Not at all surprised that he might be sold. But instead of Keane I would like a Laurent Blanc type signing to play for 2 years and help mentor Azel, TFM, Ro-Shaun and Bailly. No idea who might fit into that category (not Terry as he's too old now).

Ban

Marquinhos won't leave PSG. He's nailed down a starting spot finally, and he's expressed his happiness at the club.
Then some other WC CB. We desperately need one. Especially since Rojo won't be back until autumn.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Smalling has basically done a Johnny Evans. Very good defender who's had a bad season riddled with injuries at the wrong time. Not helped by his manager criticising him in public even though he quite literally got injured trying to play through a knock.

Now you have everyone pretending he was never any good. Bunch of complete fecking idiots on here.

Shady

Why? I am equally lukewarm on both of them. But Jones seems the better technical player (and way better passer). About the same in terms of pure defending.
I have never seen Jones consistently perform anywhere near the level of Smalling from last season. Smalling is also less injury prone.

el3mel

That's very logical if we're bringing Keane, because Smalling is the only CB who didn't have any good period this season to earn Jose's trust at all.

Bailly: Has been great most of the season, except the short period after CAN
Jones : Had a great period when we were playing with him and Rojo, also injury returned and he dropped in form again.
Rojo: Arguably our best defender this season.
Blind: Didn't play in CB much but he was solid at the start of the season till City match, and now solid again ( except that Cilta game ). He also covers LB.

Only Smalling who has been pathetic through the whole season and offered nothing to Jose at all.

If he didn't start in the Europe League final then it's pretty much over for him.

Ole90+3

Then some other WC CB. We desperately need one. Especially since Rojo won't be back until autumn.
Who though? There's really not that many WC CBs that are available for less than 60/70m, and those are already in their late 20s, early 30s. That was the point I made earlier in the thread about the lack of options in the transfer market, meaning that our best option would most likely be to keep hold of Smalling; there aren't many defenders out there who will come in and definitely perform better.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agreed. Also think he just seems overly nervous, especially on the ball. Not at all surprised that he might be sold. But instead of Keane I would like a Laurent Blanc type signing to play for 2 years and help mentor Azel, TFM, Ro-Shaun and Bailly. No idea who might fit into that category (not Terry as he's too old now).
what's the difference between TFM/Ro-Shawn and Keane? Both are young and homegrown. Keane will cost us money but he's more proven then TFM

We need 4 EPL proven CBs. I don't mind if they are Bonucci, Keane, Bailly and Rojo with backup from Azel and co

Ban

Who though? There's really not that many WC CBs that are available for less than 60/70m, and those are already in their late 20s, early 30s. That was the point I made earlier in the thread about the lack of options in the transfer market, meaning that our best option would most likely be to keep hold of Smalling; there aren't many defenders out there who will come in and definitely perform better.
If not WC then at least good ones.

I don't know, options are limited but I guess we can bring and should bring someone.

togg

Smalling is 28 in November....he's not going to get any better now (and to be honest..this season he seems to have regressed...injuries or not) and he's just not reliable enough or skillful enough for United at the back...no doubt. Best sell and replace. Wouldn't bother me at all.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'll join the opinion that if one of Smalling/Jones is to go, we either give the spot to Tuanzebe or bring in a quality CB. Keane does not fit in that description. Don't see what he could offer that Smalling/Jones/Blind already don't.

There's not much between them to be honest. Jones is a bit more brave and has better control, but Smalling is less injury prone and better in the air.

I reckon it depends who we get the better offer for. That'll be the man to go most likely.
What If we sold both, got in Keane and a top quality cb?
Bailly, cb, Keane, Rojo, Tuanzebe

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's certainly got the height and pace and for a while last season he made it count. It's just the mentality, the sloppiness. Really wouldn't mind seeing him leave. Maybe Arsene can buy him.

MadMike

What If we sold both, got in Keane and a top quality cb?
Bailly, cb, Keane, Rojo, Tuanzebe
It kinda depends on the prices.

For example, I wouldn't be happy to let go of Jones for £10m and then buy Keane for £25m. Same for Smalling. We'd not really be upgrading while we'd be spending money which could go elsewhere.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It kinda depends on the prices.

For example, I wouldn't be happy to let go of Jones for £10m and then buy Keane for £25m. Same for Smalling. We'd not really be upgrading while we'd be spending money which could go elsewhere.
Honestly, I understand the argument but when it comes to Jones, his injury history makes me think I'd be perfectly fine with selling him for practically nothing if we got a less injury prone, but lesser defender in his place.

Esquire

I have never seen Jones consistently perform anywhere near the level of Smalling from last season. Smalling is also less injury prone.
Smalling hasn't been an iron man either. And much worse technically. There have been many instances this year where Smalling does well recovering or making a great interception then invariably the next thing that happens, whether under pressure or not, is that he hoofs it out of bounds or up the field, killing a good counter attacking chance. Jones at least to my eye is much calmer on the ball, a more cultured passer and possess that ability to create a good offensive transition. So push comes to shove, I would keep Jones.

That said, I see your point about being more robust physically. Either way, won't shed tears to see either one go.

Solver

he may be better than Jones but they are both VERY mediocre. Lovely guys am sure but not Man Utd types

AlwaysRed66

Seems strange given how good people think we've been defensively this year that they seem to think our defenders are terrible and want rid of them.
I can see your point, but if you put 10 men behind the ball against opponents it does make it easier for the defenders to defend.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We should be in for Laporte from Bilbao or Gimenez from Ath. Madrid. I'd take Keane as well though as he is homegrown.

Sell both Jones and Smalling.
the other thing about Keane is we immediately get 25% of the fee back - it's was put into a sell-on clause when we let him go to Burnley

NoPace

Sell both Smalling and Jones, promote Axel and buy a top CB. Keane will not be much of an upgrade on Smalling tbh, well at least he is not injured much.
Yeah, this is what a ruthless and better run club would do. Say we bought Laporte or Koulibaly this summer, or whichever 23-25 year old Mourinho thinks is about to have 7 or 8 strong seasons at LCB for us:

Koulibaly-Bailly
Rojo-Tuanzebe

with Blind comfortable backing up LCB, LB and DM and Fosu-Mensah an option at RCB, RB and DM. Maybe the DM we buy will be someone who can cover CB for a game or two if need be, like Dier (who would not be my choice, just an example).

That looks good to me. Maybe you keep one of Jones or Smalling around for one more season because Tuanzebe is 19 and Bailly coming off repeated small injuries.

Basa1987

Why would we sell Smalling to buy Keane? More of a downgrade if anything.

Smalling hasn't had a good season but Keane hasn't shown anything to indicate that he can produce a season like Smalling's last season. I think this is purely fans wanting a scapegoat out for a shiny new toy.