James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
Would he be a guaranteed starter for Forest? Or have they signed some midfielders this summer?

Considering he impressed on their way up to PL football last season - it feels like a golden opportunity to give him regular PL football for a season. Usually PL loans are a hit and miss, because the coaches don't know the loanees and are essentially too cautious. But Garner should be one of the first names on the Forest team sheet, and to rob him of 2000+ PL minutes for a few runs out in the Europa League would be an oversight.

AJ VII

Would he be a guaranteed starter for Forest? Or have they signed some midfielders this summer?

Considering he impressed on their way up to PL football last season - it feels like a golden opportunity to give him regular PL football for a season. Usually PL loans are a hit and miss, because the coaches don't know the loanees and are essentially too cautious. But Garner should be one of the first names on the Forest team sheet, and to rob him of 2000+ PL minutes for a few runs out in the Europa League would be an oversight.
Its not possible for them to loan two players from us at the same time when they are in the PL.

They went for Deano so Garner would have to find another team.

Skills

Snitch
Its not possible for them to loan two players from us at the same time when they are in the PL.

They went for Deano so Garner would have to find another team.
That is a shame, then it's probably best to keep him around. Any other PL loan will be too risky.

AJ VII

That is a shame, then it's probably best to keep him around. Any other PL loan will be too risky.
Yes another year at forrest would have been the best for his development, but we never make it easy with our loan deals.

I remember when we allowed Pellistri to waste another year at Alves because he felt comfy there, shocking decision by us and the player which I think he stated recently that he regreted.

Hopefully Garner will have a good season but I cant see him get alot of gametime here with possibly Eriksen and FdJ joining.

Gandalf

Not too upset about him not going back to Forest, although he played well for them their style of play was not exactly suited to developing his on the ball skills as they tend to use the wing backs to get it forward quickly and bypass the midfield more often than not. If we cannot give him enough minutes this season I would prefer a loan to a club that plays more of a possession style of football so that he can work on that aspect of his game.

Raven

Not too upset about him not going back to Forest, although he played well for them their style of play was not exactly suited to developing his on the ball skills as they tend to use the wing backs to get it forward quickly and bypass the midfield more often than not. If we cannot give him enough minutes this season I would prefer a loan to a club that plays more of a possession style of football so that he can work on that aspect of his game.
Absolutely agreed, I feel his skills were a little underutilised at Forrest (obviously it worked for them and its not a criticism either). I noticed that he was often on the periphery of games, I think he could improve massively if he gets the right coaching. The talent is there.

Zlatattack

I agree. I'd like to see Garner at Forest this season. I expect he'd get regular game time.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

We can’t loan him to them now as they’ve exceeded the number of loanees after the Henderson signing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If he’s not fancied we should be looking at cashing in this summer. Let’s not waste time with it. Better young talent has/will be sold by top PL clubs this summer. We could fetch £20m+ for him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Silly saying he isn't fancied?
Again, do you have a question or something to say?

And I didn’t say he wasn’t fancied, I said ‘if’. If he’s injured, then say he’s injured and drop the question marks.

Gandalf

Still carrying a knock apparently. Would imagine he is far more likely to be retained as a squad option than Savage or Iqbal as he has two seasons of mens football under his belt whereas they both could really use a loan to get regular minutes. Hope he is fit for the next couple of games so we can see him in this system.

worldinmotion66

He's miles ahead of iqbal and savage for the role that we need. I'm sure he'll get games this season and I actually think he be moulded into a De Jong understudy, assuming we can get that deal over the line.

Real shame he didn't recover in time for the Melbourne game, hopefully we'll see him come on against Palace.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We’ll see. Never rated him, and I’ve been watching him for many years now.
That is the beauty of it. Who will go furthest, Garner or the likes of Iqbal and Galbraith. Will be interesting to see.

My money is on Garner. I think he will be great!

Bondi77

That is the beauty of it. Who will go furthest, Garner or the likes of Iqbal and Galbraith. Will be interesting to see.

My money is on Garner. I think he will be great!
I think your money will be safe.

Dannn411

I suspect we'll see Garner next game He hasn't played because he's been injured not because the manager doesn't fancy him. Speaking of midfielders, where is Ethan Galbraith?

Bondi77

I suspect we'll see Garner next game He hasn't played because he's been injured not because the manager doesn't fancy him. Speaking of midfielders, where is Ethan Galbraith?
I'd be surprised if he was still with us by the end of the window.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Hi All, as a Forest fan I’ve seen a great deal of Jimmy last season and there’s a lot of Forest fans following your pre-season to see how Jimmy does. To be blunt, we want him back.

From reading this thread, there has been some interest in how he did this season so I thought I’d throw in my 2 peneth worth as a fan who watched him every week. Firstly Jimmy got my vote for player of the season for us, he didn’t win but he’s been a consistent 7-8/10 performer since Cooper took over. As some have said, we play a wing back system with a high press looking to hit on the break. What got us promoted is the speed we hit on the break and Jimmy’s speed of though and passing range was crucial to getting the ball out to Djed and Brennan Johnson on the right wing. Arsenal and Leicester couldn’t deal with it in the cup and we gave The scousers a scare as well.

As the season went on and we picked up injuries our attacking options reduced, from Feb we had to play a DM at left back and by mid April we were down to one senior striker (playing with groin strain and injections). Opponents double teamed on our right knowing we had little threat on the left. What got us through was Jimmy’s ability to provide a defence splitting pass and drop a ball into the box that the opposition never dealt with. The winning goal in the play off final was one of these.

The formation we played means the DM’s were effectively doing the work of three players and that Jimmy and Ryan Yates kept that up for 2 games a week for 40 odd games is a miracle. For reference, A United fan on our forum compared Yatesy as a better version McTominay (I can’t comment).

Good points,
Great engine
speed of though
passing range
great touch
consistency
his football brain
He takes a decent free kick and can tackle

Not so good,
we tried him as a number 10 - didn’t work,
his corners need to be more consistent.

The lad will always be welcome at the City Ground, whatever shade of red he’s wearing.

Tony247

Is he a bigger talent than Iqbal and Savage?
I believe Garner won't make it. Mostly will get sold or loaned. If he establish himself as a PL level player then that would be a great achievement.

Iqbal and savage too early to judge. I am way more impressed by Savage though.

Grande

Hi All, as a Forest fan I’ve seen a great deal of Jimmy last season and there’s a lot of Forest fans following your pre-season to see how Jimmy does. To be blunt, we want him back.

From reading this thread, there has been some interest in how he did this season so I thought I’d throw in my 2 peneth worth as a fan who watched him every week. Firstly Jimmy got my vote for player of the season for us, he didn’t win but he’s been a consistent 7-8/10 performer since Cooper took over. As some have said, we play a wing back system with a high press looking to hit on the break. What got us promoted is the speed we hit on the break and Jimmy’s speed of though and passing range was crucial to getting the ball out to Djed and Brennan Johnson on the right wing. Arsenal and Leicester couldn’t deal with it in the cup and we gave The scousers a scare as well.

As the season went on and we picked up injuries our attacking options reduced, from Feb we had to play a DM at left back and by mid April we were down to one senior striker (playing with groin strain and injections). Opponents double teamed on our right knowing we had little threat on the left. What got us through was Jimmy’s ability to provide a defence splitting pass and drop a ball into the box that the opposition never dealt with. The winning goal in the play off final was one of these.

The formation we played means the DM’s were effectively doing the work of three players and that Jimmy and Ryan Yates kept that up for 2 games a week for 40 odd games is a miracle. For reference, A United fan on our forum compared Yatesy as a better version McTominay (I can’t comment).

Good points,
Great engine
speed of though
passing range
great touch
consistency
his football brain

Not so good,

The lad will always be welcome at the City Ground, whatever shade of red he’s wearing.
Thanks for the report! Eye witness testmony always beats rumour mill to me ;)

Nicklas

Good points,
Great engine
speed of though
passing range
great touch
consistency
his football brain

Not so good,

Great report, thank you for that. Too bad he can't join you on loan again this season.

Bondi77

Good points,
Great engine
speed of though
passing range
great touch
consistency
his football brain

Not so good,

Thanks for that.
With the way our midfield recruitment is going at the moment I think this could be the ideal time for Jimmy to stake his claim in the first team this season.

I really hope this isn't his opportunity missed because he looked the most certain of all to make it here in a position we desperately need. At his age 45 minutes shouldn't be a problem with an interrupted pre season so hopefully he can play a bit before the season starts. No more loans, it's time to see if he's good enough.

AndySmith1990

He's a bigger talent than both.
Really? Garner was ok at Forest, but I never seen anything to suggest he was nailed on to be a future first teamer at United. He's more likely to be at the level of Cleverley or McTominay if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.