James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Really? Garner was ok at Forest, but I never seen anything to suggest he was nailed on to be a future first teamer at United. He's more likely to be at the level of Cleverley or McTominay if you ask me.
Nobody is ever nailed om at his stage. But Garner is a far bigger talent than Cleverley and McTominay was. I really cant recall any young midfielder being as dominating at the reserves as Garner was in his last season at the reserves.

Maybe Pogba had a higher ceiling, but he was not as consistent and dominating as Garner in 19/20. That season was almost Gerrerd-esque from him. I never quite understood what @MR.MUJAC ment when he wrote that he felt sure about Fletcher making it. But watching Garner, now I do. Because I think I have the same feeling about him. It is not just about his talent or quality as of now, but also mentality and temperament. Unlike a few others, he so rarely make a mistake. Never trying to show off.

Furthermore, it is impossible not to note how highly rated he is within the club. Already at Mourinhos time here he trained regularly with the first team. Several first team coaches has heaped praise on him. But also players like Fred, Bruno and Matic.

I’m quite confident that regardless of my opinion, he is, by club and players, the highest rated central midfielder we have had at our acadamy since Pogba. Maybe even before him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Really? Garner was ok at Forest, but I never seen anything to suggest he was nailed on to be a future first teamer at United. He's more likely to be at the level of Cleverley or McTominay if you ask me.
Neither are Iqbal and Savage and 2 solid pre-season performances isn't likely to change that. I've watched him since he was 16 and always felt he had the ability to make it here, he was miles better in the youth teams than Iqbal or Savage was and he's carried on his progression very well into first team level at Forrest. Neither are even the best midfielder in the current U23 team.
I doubt you have to be fair.
Even if I don't agree with him he's definitely are a regular youth watcher.

mu4c_20le

Ducker is saying it’s likely he goes out on loan again potentially to Forest but am I right in thinking that can’t happen as they’ve loaned Henderson?
I know its two domestic loans but wasn't sure if they could be from the same club. The rules keep changing these days so who the feck knows

Blood Mage

If we don't get De Jong or an alternative to him then it would be foolish to loan Garner out again. We'll need bodies for the midfield.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Yes, as per PL loan rules he can't go to Nottingham forest on loan deal.
There are quite a few Forest fans not happy with the Henderson deal (even though he’s an upgrade on Samba who threw his toys out the pram anyway) because it rules out a loan for Jimmy. The only route we have is a loan with an obligation to buy or a straight purchase. Everytime you get linked with an expensive shiny £50+mil midfielder we get exited.

After following Jimmy’s social media last season, he genuinely has a love for Forest as a club and for Steve Cooper as a manager. I’m not saying it’s greater than his love for United but if it’s a choice between regular football with us or the odd run out in the tin pot cups with you, he’ll be back at the City Ground. I have a gut feeling that there will be a deal done, where we buy him with United having a first refusal buy back clause.

Reactions: roonster09

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There are quite a few Forest fans not happy with the Henderson deal (even though he’s an upgrade on Samba who threw his toys out the pram anyway) because it rules out a loan for Jimmy. The only route we have is a loan with an obligation to buy or a straight purchase. Everytime you get linked with an expensive shiny £50+mil midfielder we get exited.

After following Jimmy’s social media last season, he genuinely has a love for Forest as a club and for Steve Cooper as a manager. I’m not saying it’s greater than his love for United but if it’s a choice between regular football with us or the odd run out in the tin pot cups with you, he’ll be back at the City Ground. I have a gut feeling that there will be a deal done, where we buy him with United having a first refusal buy back clause.
Yeah looks like he loved his time at Forest, at least that's what I remember watching one of his interview.

I don't mind is selling him. If he has chance to be first choice player for a PL club he should push for it. If we sell him then hopefully it's with buy back clause with decent margin so that both clubs can be happy with the deal.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
How much would he actually be sold for? Considering City got 15m for a youth player, Forest signing Neco Williams for 20m and Garner having played almost 100 first team games (with 8 goals, 11 assists) don't think £30m-£35m would be ureasonable?

Buy back clause for £10m over the sold price would be fair all round too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
How long have you been watching Iqbal for?
Erm, I'd say a couple of years. Though, since he impressed me pretty much as soon as I saw him, I looked up some games where he was even younger and the talent was evident there, too. I think it was an u12 match in Ireland and he was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch.
That is the beauty of it. Who will go furthest, Garner or the likes of Iqbal and Galbraith. Will be interesting to see.

My money is on Garner. I think he will be great!
True! Don't get me wrong, I hope he succeeds, but I'm going to be honest on my opinion on him as a player. I just think Garner is weak under pressure whereas the other two are strong in that area.

I don't want to come off as a know it all either. I've been wrong about plenty of academy prospects!
I doubt you have to be fair.
Dude!
Even if I don't agree with him he's definitely are a regular youth watcher.
Thanks, buddy!

kidbob

I think with the injury he is flying a little under the radar. I really do have high hopes that he'll show enough this year that we'll see a guy emerge who, at the very least, shows himself to be capable of becoming a very good squad member for years to come. Even if we sign De Jong the chance is there for the lad, considering midfield is still a bit of a weakness. I think he may surprise some people. Obviously Mason was the stand out but Laird and Garner always seemed to be the next best and for Jimmy, unlike Laird, he's been lucky to stay relatively injury free and progress a bit further. Think under ETH's guidance he could really develop into something very good. The mentality to be a top player is just so clear in him.

Tarrou

How much would he actually be sold for? Considering City got 15m for a youth player, Forest signing Neco Williams for 20m and Garner having played almost 100 first team games (with 8 goals, 11 assists) don't think £30m-£35m would be ureasonable?

surely no team is ever buying a player for 30m with a buy-back at just 40m?

why would anyone do that?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
surely no team is ever buying a player for 30m with a buy-back at just 40m?

why would anyone do that?
Because its guaranteed profit for te selling club? Man City has done the same with Lavia albeit with a higher clause, but considering the player has made a first team appearance it makes sense to have a higher release clause.

Garner has already proven himself with Forest, its a pretty much guaranteed success for £30m - name me one english midfielder that would go for that little? £40m clause is due to the smaller fee.

Regullion at Spurs has a 42m clause after signing for Spurs at £27.5m too.

SinNombre

I agree with the idea above.

Assuming we get FdJ through the line, letting Garner go to Forest for 25m (with a 40m buyback clause) would make a lot of sense for everyone involved.

We get a bit more money for an attacker while retaining some optionality to bring him back, Garner gets to start and Forest have as good a midfielder as they can get in their current circumstances and get some upside if he continues developing.

Lost bear

I think with the injury he is flying a little under the radar. I really do have high hopes that he'll show enough this year that we'll see a guy emerge who, at the very least, shows himself to be capable of becoming a very good squad member for years to come. Even if we sign De Jong the chance is there for the lad, considering midfield is still a bit of a weakness. I think he may surprise some people. Obviously Mason was the stand out but Laird and Garner always seemed to be the next best and for Jimmy, unlike Laird, he's been lucky to stay relatively injury free and progress a bit further. Think under ETH's guidance he could really develop into something very good. The mentality to be a top player is just so clear in him.
Yeah, he does have something about him, a certain seriousness of focus, both on and off the field, which bodes well. To be honest though, I didn’t see him much last season- just a few clips at Forest in which he was pretty impressive. I’m still undecided overall, but the reports from the Forest fans on here have convinced me to watch him closely this year.

Tarrou

Because its guaranteed profit for te selling club? Man City has done the same with Lavia albeit with a higher clause, but considering the player has made a first team appearance it makes sense to have a higher release clause.

Garner has already proven himself with Forest, its a pretty much guaranteed success for £30m - name me one english midfielder that would go for that little? £40m clause is due to the smaller fee.

Regullion at Spurs has a 42m clause after signing for Spurs at £27.5m too.
its not anywhere near a guaranteed success and even if it is, they would be capping their upside to 33% which is crap

no club is ever doing that deal

the hea

Financially speaking this would be an awful deal for Forrest, it would mean that they take all the risks but with very little to gain.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
its not anywhere near a guaranteed success and even if it is, they would be capping their upside to 33% which is crap

no club is ever doing that deal
But they're getting a player that's been with them for 18 months, that knows their system well, it's as close to a guaranteed success as a transfer could ever be, and with hopefully FDJ coming to United who's to say United will even exercise that option?

£30m should be considered a cheap transfer too, when you see someone like Tielemens in the last year of his contract quoted at £30m, Chukwuemeka quoted at £20m who's played a handful of games in his career, Lavia for £15m who's a youth player - my reasoning was that the transfer fee is on the cheaper side which should lower the buyback clause.

33.3% profit isn't 'nothing'. My example above with Regullion was about 55% and that's with the buying club in a riskier position seeing as the player never played for Spurs before or outside Spain for that matter.

Fulham signed Jean Michel Seri 4 years ago for £15m and they just let him go for free, would Forest be better at making transfers like that, losing £15m on a gamble or spending £30m on Garner who, like I said, is the closest to a guaranteed hit as you can get?

padzilla

Hipster
Garner can't go back to Forest on loan if they already have loaned Henderson from us, can he?

marktan

But they're getting a player that's been with them for 18 months, that knows their system well, it's as close to a guaranteed success as a transfer could ever be, and with hopefully FDJ coming to United who's to say United will even exercise that option?

£30m should be considered a cheap transfer too, when you see someone like Tielemens in the last year of his contract quoted at £30m, Chukwuemeka quoted at £20m who's played a handful of games in his career, Lavia for £15m who's a youth player - my reasoning was that the transfer fee is on the cheaper side which should lower the buyback clause.

33.3% profit isn't 'nothing'. My example above with Regullion was about 55% and that's with the buying club in a riskier position seeing as the player never played for Spurs before or outside Spain for that matter.

Fulham signed Jean Michel Seri 4 years ago for £15m and they just let him go for free, would Forest be better at making transfers like that, losing £15m on a gamble or spending £30m on Garner who, like I said, is the closest to a guaranteed hit as you can get?
Buybacks tend to be quite high, e.g. Tammy Abraham has a 70m clause and Broja is rumoured to have something like a 60m one too.

Forest would probably look to do something like £20m + £50m buyback, which would be a good deal for United too. A player that won't get many minutes here gets lots of PL playing time, and if he looks great we can get him back for £30m net. Ideally we would've just loaned him out to Forest though the way Gallagher has been loaned out by Chelsea.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Buybacks tend to be quite high, e.g. Tammy Abraham has a 70m clause and Broja is rumoured to have something like a 60m one too.

Forest would probably look to do something like £20m + £50m buyback, which would be a good deal for United too. A player that won't get many minutes here gets lots of PL playing time, and if he looks great we can get him back for £30m net. Ideally we would've just loaned him out to Forest though the way Gallagher has been loaned out by Chelsea.
Fair enough on this higher buy back clause, my initial post was a question, so not sure why I got jumped on for asking a question.

Anyway, I think £20m would be a stupid sale on our part, Chelsea sold Guehi for £18m last season without having played for Palace before, and with half the games under his belt, AC Milan paid £30m for Tomori having played a similar amount of games in total, but only about 20 games for Milan - and Italian clubs are notorious for penny pinching.

Tarrou

he’s low risk for the Championship yeah, but they need a PL midfielder now which he is unproven for

to be honest I’d take 20m for him, it would be amazing to get 30m but I admire your optimism

I just don’t think he’s good enough and this is the point where Liverpool would sell for a decent fee

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
he’s low risk for the Championship yeah, but they need a PL midfielder now which he is unproven for

to be honest I’d take 20m for him, it would be amazing to get 30m but I admire your optimism

I just don’t think he’s good enough and this is the point where Liverpool would sell for a decent fee
Guehi went for £18m and defenders don't usually cost that much.

Lavia went for £15m with no first team experience.

I've given those two examples twice, here's just a few more:

Dan James - £15m with one year left on his contract, 2019.
Benrahma - £25+5m in 2020,
Watkins - £29m in 2020,
Maddison - £22m in 2018,
Sessegnon - £25m in 2019.
Buendia - £32m - 2021

Also, Nottingham Forest just dropped £17m on Williams, who isn't as experienced as Garner, specially not in their system.

Selling Garner for £20m this season would be daft on our part, maybe £30m is a little optimistic, but considering our current options I'd rather us keep him around if the most we could get is £20m.

Tallis

It will be stupid to sell him before really trying him out.

I would support another loan to Forest as long
As he is assured of playing time. Then we will
Be able to assess his potential in the premier league

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

He can't go to Forest because we've already loaned them Dean Henderson.

Litch

I think he’ll go on loan to a Prem club unless a ridiculous bid comes in for 25m+

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I really don’t see us selling him. We’re proud of our academy and tend to give layers who have earned it a chance. He plays in a position we are always lacking, we’d be daft not to try him before we let him go for good.

We need an rvn

Agreed, just like the Conor Gallagher loan did for Chelsea at Norwich last year? Looked brilliant in that squad and if James can do that for Forest in the PL this year it will give us a good indication. I don't think he's ready for our CM yet (let's not get into how bad it is)

TheReligion

Abusive
I really don’t see us selling him. We’re proud of our academy and tend to give layers who have earned it a chance. He plays in a position we are always lacking, we’d be daft not to try him before we let him go for good.
Yeah he won’t be sold.

Bad timing with his tour injury but the club won’t just sell the lad. Garner is also determined to make it at United so don’t see him agreeing to go by demand.

If he’s good enough he’ll get a chance under EtH. 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.